Evernote for iOS 8.3 Released

Justin Street

Idea

Hi there,

Version 8.3 of Evernote for iOS is available in the App Store. You can download it here

This version contains bug fixes and performance improvements for many of the issues reported here and through our support channels.

This version includes:

• Fixed an issue where the app would perform slowly on iPad.
  • Fixed an issue where some content in offline notebooks would not download.
  • Fixed an issue where content from one note might replace or appear to replace content in another.

Thanks for using Evernote and the continued feedback!

52 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, DGW said:

Are you also seeing a lot of lag/unresponsiveness when tapping various icons? I think this might be an iOS 11 issue, as it is not only in Evernote that there is a huge delay after tapping various buttons before anything happens. For Evernote, I see it mostly with filtering notes by tags, however. Plus, I’m having big issues with my Bluetooth keyboard not disconnecting.

Nope, everything other than the note window "jumping" everything seems the same.

5 hours ago, eafpres said:

I agree it might be iOS 11.

Yeah, always hard to tell though when two updates occur on the same weekend.  Though, if others on 8.4 aren't having the issue, it just may be IOS beta.

• Level 5

The iOS app became unuseable for me. The response on a single key input takes seconds. Re-installation did not help. Evernote is more and more a one platform app for me. I would only call the Mac client as really useable. The iOS app does not work, the Web client is very limited in features, only the Mac app fulfills my needs. Multi-platform used to be the strength of Evernote but it is not anymore. I really need to look into alternatives. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Stuhrer said:

The iOS app became unuseable for me. The response on a single key input takes seconds. Re-installation did not help. Evernote is more and more a one platform app for me. I would only call the Mac client as really useable. The iOS app does not work, the Web client is very limited in features, only the Mac app fulfills my needs. Multi-platform used to be the strength of Evernote but it is not anymore. I really need to look into alternatives. 

Yeah, 8.0 was a giant leap backward for performance and function.  However, I've found 8.3 and 8.4 to work quickly.  A couple of interface things I would like to change back where extra clicks were added to the mix, but other than that functional for me. 

Now why I am having a different experience is a mystery.  I have 27,181 synced notes at the moment with only one small offline notebook.  Everything else is download when needed.  iPhone 6s.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, csihilling said:

Yeah, 8.0 was a giant leap backward for performance and function.  However, I've found 8.3 and 8.4 to work quickly.  A couple of interface things I would like to change back where extra clicks were added to the mix, but other than that functional for me. 

Now why I am having a different experience is a mystery.  I have 27,181 synced notes at the moment with only one small offline notebook.  Everything else is download when needed.  iPhone 6s.

Yes, some version 8.3x was indeed quite fast but the latest update after the switch to iOS 11 is now extremely slow. It could well be an iOS 11 issue. A re-installation did not help.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Stuhrer said:

Yes, some version 8.3x was indeed quite fast but the latest update after the switch to iOS 11 is now extremely slow. It could well be an iOS 11 issue. A re-installation did not help.

Could be.  FYI, I have been using IOS 11 for a while, starting with the betas.

• Level 5*

Warning note.

I have been participating in the IOS beta process.  A new beta came out in the last few days.  Now whenever I try and edit a note the actual content of the note jumps up and I end up with a blank screen.  I can scroll it down to see the note, but than as soon as I start typing the screen "jumps" up again.  I have reported this to Apple, but who knows.  Anyway, now I am trying to get back to IOS 11.

16 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Warning note.

I have been participating in the IOS beta process.  A new beta came out in the last few days.  Now whenever I try and edit a note the actual content of the note jumps up and I end up with a blank screen.  I can scroll it down to see the note, but than as soon as I start typing the screen "jumps" up again.  I have reported this to Apple, but who knows.  Anyway, now I am trying to get back to IOS 11.

I’m seeing the same thing - at least when using Evernote with the on-screen keyboard. Very annoying!

• Level 5*
41 minutes ago, DGW said:

I’m seeing the same thing - at least when using Evernote with the on-screen keyboard. Very annoying!

Yeah, I am the phone with Apple trying to get back to 11.  It isn't as easy as it should be if you keep iTunes off your PC...

Edit:  Beginning to think this may not be an IOS issue...

2 hours ago, csihilling said:

Submitted a bug report, support ticket #2224855.

Are you also seeing a lot of lag/unresponsiveness when tapping various icons? I think this might be an iOS 11 issue, as it is not only in Evernote that there is a huge delay after tapping various buttons before anything happens. For Evernote, I see it mostly with filtering notes by tags, however. Plus, I’m having big issues with my Bluetooth keyboard not disconnecting.

I "may" have seen this, but not often at all.  I agree it might be iOS 11.  I was at Apple this weekend and there were people talking to service about issues having to tap some things twice, etc.

• Level 5*

Bug.

I use the Ctrl-: hotkey to create a time stamp from time to time (09/17/2017 11:15).  It looks fine on the PC, assumes the default font.  However, when viewed on the iPad or iPhone the font of the date does not match.  Example below, though hopefully very easy to recreate.  Don't much care for the underlines either on the iDevice or the rearrangement of column widths.  Default font on the PC is Seqoe UI Symbol 10.

ScreenClip.png.3cf6f5cdd57ae9a80f388bd08478bf29.png

Image-1.thumb.jpg.37f2d623541e2241cfd15a8f01f4022e.jpg

• Level 5
7 hours ago, DGW said:

@Stuhrer What version of iOS do you have? I’m having difficulties with the iOS 11.1 public beta, but nothing that extreme.

I just installled the latest iOS 11.0.2 but the problem is the same. Evernote is especially slow when editing larger notes with PDFs in it.

I'm running Evernote 8.3.356604 in iOS 11.0.1 on an iPhone 6S and am not seeing these issues.  Are ou seeing sync issues?  There is an update to the post I made earlier: "Issue 3: Sync gets stuck on iOS device.  Tried several things noted by support, nothing worked, including resintalling."

Evernote is aware of this and a temporary work around is turn off auto lock (Settings --> Display & Brightness -->Auto-Lock-->Never) then leave EN open for hours and it syncs.  Not sure if this is related to what you are seeing.

• Level 5
26 minutes ago, eafpres said:

I'm running Evernote 8.3.356604 in iOS 11.0.1 on an iPhone 6S and am not seeing these issues.  Are ou seeing sync issues?  There is an update to the post I made earlier: "Issue 3: Sync gets stuck on iOS device.  Tried several things noted by support, nothing worked, including resintalling."

No, it is not a sync issue. The response to character inputs is just very slow with larger notes as if the app is doing something after every single input which takes more time the bigger the note is. It already takes about 8-10 seconds after selecting a bigger note and clicking into it until the keyboard pops up or until I can scroll the note. In settings I have switched off background refresh and using 'Siri & Search' without success.

• Level 5
19 minutes ago, Bill Myers said:

I'm using iOS 11.0.2 and Evernote for iOS v8.4 and I haven't experienced any of the issues described. The notes editing issue in particular may be specific to the iOS beta.

I am as well using 11.0.2 and the latest Evernote version. I did some further tests and I now can say that the lag I am seeing is directly correlated to the size of notes. Some of the notes I am working on at the moment are between 40 and 50 MB in size. The current Evernote version for iOS is obviously not suitable for larger notes. The larger a note gets the slower the app reacts. Evernote for iOS obviously is not able to handle the note size limits of a plus or premium account (>25 MB). That is a pitty because I am paying for a service that I don't get. Actually, I am getting more and more frustrated with Evernote. The iOS and Web clients have become more and more limited and no progress has been made for these platforms for a long time. If this continues there will soon be no benefit in using Evernote because other tools will certainly catch up. I keep looking for alternatives.

• Level 5*
58 minutes ago, Stuhrer said:

I am as well using 11.0.2 and the latest Evernote version. I did some further tests and I now can say that the lag I am seeing is directly correlated to the size of notes. Some of the notes I am working on at the moment are between 40 and 50 MB in size. The current Evernote version for iOS is obviously not suitable for larger notes. The larger a note gets the slower the app reacts. Evernote for iOS obviously is not able to handle the note size limits of a plus or premium account (>25 MB). That is a pitty because I am paying for a service that I don't get. Actually, I am getting more and more frustrated with Evernote. The iOS and Web clients have become more and more limited and no progress has been made for these platforms for a long time. If this continues there will soon be no benefit in using Evernote because other tools will certainly catch up. I keep looking for alternatives.

Don't know if it makes any difference (sounds like a large note issue), but are you using any offline notebooks?

Have you checked the memory available on your iOS device?  I'm sure it is > the note size, but I had an issue before where clipping notes would not complete because I was hitting a memory issue on my iPad.  Probably not your case, but thought I would ask.

• Level 5

Thank you for your ideas but unfortunately, they don‘t help. I have more than 25GB free memory available and I have stopped all apps before using Evernote. I also tried to use large notes in online- and offline-notebooks. The problem remains. It is the note size. The only way to avoid the problem would be to split the large notes into smaller ones and e.g. use a TOC-note. Again, I am paying for a note size limit of >50 MB and there should be a solution because it worked in an earlier 8.3 version. It again seems to be a pre-mature delivery issue and bad testing procedures at Evernote which we are experiencing with almost every delivery.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Stuhrer said:

Some of the notes I am working on at the moment are between 40 and 50 MB in size.

That can’t be too common, having notes that size.  How many characters would that be?
I copied a lengthy document into a note and got 220KB 18, 022 words, 105,410 characters

Or are you including attachments in the size?

• Level 5
2 hours ago, DTLow said:

That can’t be too common, having notes that size.  How many characters would that be?
I copied a lengthy document into a note and got 220KB 18, 022 words, 105,410 characters

Or are you including attachments in the size?

Yes, the notes contain a number of scanned PDFs. Again, the size is well within the limits provided by the premium account I am paying for. And it used to work with a previous version. I am also wondering why attachments seem to be part of the problem. Because when not using an offline notebook they are not even downloaded to my device if I am not clicking on them. The text parts of the notes are not very big.

• Level 5*
On 2017-08-14 at 6:05 PM, Justin Street said:

Version 8.3 of Evernote for iOS is available in the App Store.

Bug Report?   Reminder notes - indication of completion.  I recall a strikethrough date 

Bug report: missing icons for attachments 598f6c3acbc76_ScreenShot2017-08-12at13_58_42.png.00b67ca2d054234369f985f17016c35b.png

The image shows the icons for .eml and .pdf files

Hi!

It appears that login via Evenote application is not working for third party apps. Previously (checked on version 8.2.2.353110), when performing login to Evernote account in other applications (e.g. QuickSnap - Quick snap to Evernote), I was redirected to Evernote application, "Allow Account Access" screen was shown and after authorization I was redirected back to original app with my account automatically added. Now with latest version 8.3.356604, "Allow Account Access" screen is no longer shown. The only way I found to add Evernote account to another app is uninstalling Evernote app from my iPhone, as normal login form  is shown in this case.

Hope it will be fixed in future releases! Thanks!

On 15/08/2017 at 3:05 AM, Justin Street said:

• Fixed an issue where content from one note might replace or appear to replace content in another.

i had a big issue !

many contents had been replaced from other notes.

how could i repair such issue.

important data should be repaired to continue my work. i searched this community several times before and this is the first time to handle this issue , but no repair offered.

Moreover , the support chat is always offline even in the stated working hours. 

i was going to subscribe in premium just to have the direct email support from Evernote.

Please give me a repair !

@Basem: The only way I know of to recover information is to use the history feature, which is for Premium subscribers only. Unfortunately if you weren't a premium member at the time the notes were corrupted I believe you're out of luck. AFAIK if you subscribe to Premium you'll have access to history beginning with the date you signed up, not before.

@Justin Street: I'm glad this issue is fixed but I'd quibble with the wording "content from one note might replace or appear to replace content in another." I'm not sure how content can "appear" to replace other content -- either it did or it didn't. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Bill Myers said:

@Basem: The only way I know of to recover information is to use the history feature, which is for Premium subscribers only. Unfortunately if you weren't a premium member at the time the notes were corrupted I believe you're out of luck.

Correction; the Note History backup is running for all accounts.  Access is available to premium accounts

Its not necessary to be a premium member when the notes were corrupted

7 hours ago, DTLow said:

Correction; the Note History backup is running for all accounts.  Access is available to premium accounts

Its not necessary to be a premium member when the notes were corrupted

@DTLow 

thank you for the valuable information.

but how could i run a repair. i think EverNote co. should support. even if i subscribe as premium right now , how could i run a massive repair for 700+ notes ?

Please advise with the proper action.

• Level 5*

2 hours ago, Basem said:

i think EverNote co. should support.

You should contact Evernote

- paid accounts    Contact Evernote Support 

- all accounts        Twitter @evernotehelps  

>>how could i run a massive repair for 700+ notes ?

My repairs were for single notes every so often

If I had 700 notes, I’d be reloading from my personal backups  (Mac)

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, Bill Myers said:

I'm not sure how content can "appear" to replace other content -- either it did or it didn't.

I had some notes showing as corrupted on my iPad.  No problem on my other devices/platforms

It was only a display problem; the issue has cleared 

On 8/14/2017 at 10:05 PM, Justin Street said:

Hi there,

Version 8.3 of Evernote for iOS is available in the App Store.

Hi, there.

Just sharing my experience with the new version so far.

As someone else @Basem mentioned, I had problems with content replacement as well. 

I came across it on my iPhone then I tried checking on my desktop just to confirm it. However, what I forgot was that the desktop version of EN automatically syncs upon start which caused it to replace completely on all my devices (ouch!). It's all fine because I was able to recover the previous content from the history version. And like @DTLow, it only happened for single notes.

• Level 5*
52 minutes ago, rkapurple said:

- created as a filter (like tags/reminders) rather than as a seperate full section in previous version would help improve discoverability and usability. I would have used location in the app much more if it was a filter. Often I know what type of work I'm looking for by notebook/tag but *then* would like to filter the selection by location.

fwiw   latitude/longitude are search arguments

latitude:37 will return all notes whose latitude value is greater than 37. Add -‍latitude:38 to your search to show results whose latitude is between 37 and 38 degrees. longitude: and altitude: work exactly the same way.

I wouldn’t want to enter this on the fly, but could have saved searches set up for different locations

Greece is at 39.0742° N, 21.8243° E   :)

On 9/15/2017 at 6:42 AM, Holly3 said:

I hate to be a party pooper, but after multiple glitches in multiple successive new versions of Evernote, I have finally reinstalled 6.1.1 for osx. I'm happier with the program than I have been in nearly a year!

I've been trying to avoid being so negative in these forums, but I'm pretty surprised at how badly this upgrade has gone. It's been about nine months since v8.x debuted and this latest update has introduced a new and pretty significant bug (duplicate notes created when clipping from the iOS Safari browser). I've been telling myself as long as Evernote doesn't eat the majority of my data to just live with it, but I'm wondering if I'm setting my standards too low. There's clearly something very wrong at Evernote, whatever that may be.

9 hours ago, Bill Myers said:

Out of curiosity I tried this and encountered the same thing. It appears to be a bug.

I think it's related to the bug where the contents of your note gets replaced with one of your other notes. I noticed it happens when I send to Evernote from my iPhone.

The most recent version of the iOS app gives problems to locally saved notebooks.

Twice so far, it happened to me that the notes (and reminders relating to them)  in these notebooks get out of sync. As soon as the noted are out of order, new notes in the notebook are invisible. 

Attempts to sync manually produce an endless sync loop. So far, the only way out is to eliminate the app and then to download it again.

Thanks in advance for looking into this!

On 8/28/2017 at 7:28 PM, CVJ said:

I think it's related to the bug where the contents of your note gets replaced with one of your other notes. I noticed it happens when I send to Evernote from my iPhone.

When I had the problem of note content getting replaced it was with notes that were plain text, not clipped from any web browser. Evernote says that problem is fixed and I'm taking their word for it.

Generally I post in the Windows area, as that is my main platform. However, the issues with 8.3 (and earlier for some issues) are hobbling me.  I often use my iPhone and/or iPad to review new content and save to EN, such as clipping from the mobile browser or saving (pdfs) to EN etc.  This allows me to clean out my EN inbox whenever I have time.  There are 3 issues for me, and I know EN tech is aware of all, but wanted to post here mainly to get perspective--have heavy iOS users found newer versions especially bad?

Issue 1:  Reported above--duplication of notes.  I found this happens with Safari but not Chrome on iOS.  For me, it occurs when: (1) Open a note on my iOS device.  Typically a newsletter from a trade website which I'm directing into my default notebook.  Click a link in that note which opens Safari.  Clip content and save, note is duplicated.  I found that if I copy the link to Chrome on my iOS device, then clip, notes are NOT duplicates.  So I think it is a Safari-EN issue.

Issue 2: Notes getting content overwritten by other notes.  This is still an issue, and very hard to reproduce.  For me, I don't share notebooks at present, but if I did this would cause me to panic, as it might share content I didn't want to share.

Issue 3: Sync gets stuck on iOS device.  Tried several things noted by support, nothing worked, including resintalling.  Stumbled into "clear Cache" on the support page in the account area on iOS EN.  This fixed it, but only teporarily.  My iPhone stopped syncing again.  So far, the clear Cache doesn't fix that; reinstalled and waiting for sync to complete.  This is the issue that is killing me, as I can't review notes that I cannot see as they are not synced.

I'd welcome any perspective, but this has been quite a time waster over the last couple of months.

19 hours ago, eafpres said:

Issue 1:  Reported above--duplication of notes.  I found this happens with Safari but not Chrome on iOS.  For me, it occurs when: (1) Open a note on my iOS device.  Typically a newsletter from a trade website which I'm directing into my default notebook.  Click a link in that note which opens Safari.  Clip content and save, note is duplicated.  I found that if I copy the link to Chrome on my iOS device, then clip, notes are NOT duplicates.  So I think it is a Safari-EN issue.

Issue 2: Notes getting content overwritten by other notes.  This is still an issue, and very hard to reproduce.  For me, I don't share notebooks at present, but if I did this would cause me to panic, as it might share content I didn't want to share.

Issue 3: Sync gets stuck on iOS device.  Tried several things noted by support, nothing worked, including resintalling.  Stumbled into "clear Cache" on the support page in the account area on iOS EN.  This fixed it, but only teporarily.  My iPhone stopped syncing again.  So far, the clear Cache doesn't fix that; reinstalled and waiting for sync to complete.  This is the issue that is killing me, as I can't review notes that I cannot see as they are not synced.

Concerning issue 1, I am seeing something similar. I don’t necessarily use the web clipper from Safari - I have a Workflow that I use most of the time to create notes from websites, but I am getting duplicate notes at times also. My Workflow actually creates a note and then appends some info to it. Instead of appending to the first note, it is creating a new note often.

Issue 3: I have seen sometimes, but it has seemed to work itself out for me on its own - it doesn’t sync immediately and maybe even throws an error, but then after a few minutes, it does sync.

Two major issues I am seeing are: 1) Tapping the tag icon to filter notes by tags results in a 7-second delay. At first, I thought I didn’t tap the right spot. But I have found that if you just wait (for what seems forever), the tag window will finally open, 2) If you have medium selected in the note list options, the note preview tends to jump around a lot, as the image thumbnails for images, PDFs, etc. don’t load immediately, and then when they finally load, the list of notes moves. So, if you are scrolling down in your notes, you suddenly lose your place as the thumbnails are finally loaded. This is especially frustrating when you are searching for a note or filtering by a tag.

I think it was 8.3 that started evernote mobile (iPhone 6+) to start hanging on start up or on coming back to it. 

closing and reopening the program generally fixes it, but it's pretty irritating if you want to dash off a quick note.

maybe i need to find where I hid the apple note app...

Just a brief update:

Item 1 is acknowledged by EN support.  No timeline on a fix yet.  It's benign in that you can just delete the 2nd copy.

Item 2 is acknowledged by EN support and I'm told it is one of the highest priority issues to fix.

Item 3 is acknowledged by EN support and they are working on a fix, hoping in next release or one after that.  There is a workaround:

• Clear the Evernote cache from 'Account' > 'Support' > 'Clear Cache'.
  • Then, go to iOS Settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-Lock > Set to 'Never'
  • Plug your iPhone into its charger
  • Let Evernote sit open for a few hours
19 minutes ago, eafpres said:

I was not aware it was fixed.  It is hard to duplicate but I have not seen it recently.  Thanks for the update.

You just scared me for a moment was all. Like you it happened to me but not in a while (AFAIK, anyway). Since they confirmed it was fixed I've gone back to using the app like I used to, more or less. 

Archived