UNICODE character problem crossplatform

Hi everyone !

I'm typing my school content on Evernote on my Macbook. And it happens that I use special character because it's maths related content. For exemple, I use the ? character for the function representation.

So here is my course on Evernote on my Mac : 

59919f971c999_Capturedecran2017-08-14a15_01_07.thumb.png.c4302c1e8cf26f3cc101bb5c26c756fc.png

But if I'm in the transport or I can't open my macbook to see my course, I would rather use my phone, so here is my course on my Android phone :

5991a00630d71_EvernoteBug.thumb.png.3149e0789deada80bd01b7e45cdbe1e8.png

Now you see where my problem is... Do you know if there is a way to avoid that ?

Thanks for the help,

Steven

• Level 5

I just tested creating a note in my Android device, then opening it in the Windows Evernote app, where the font used is Tahoma. Using the Windows Character Map, I copied several math symbols to the clipboard (∫∞√∑) and pasted them into the note in Windows. After a sync, they showed up perfectly in Android. So I'm with @gazumped, check the font. The method I described may work best: create a note on the Android device, then edit it on the Mac, using whatever its native font is. Of course, I don't know how you're inserting the math symbols, and I don't anything about how fonts and math symbols work on a Mac, so this may not work! Bonne chance!

Hi guys, thanks for the help !

I create the notes on my Mac, so the font is Helvetica Neue, by default, I changed it to Roboto, which is Android default font, it should appear ?

So I tried to create a note on my Android device, then I edit it with my Mac by inserting the symbols, I come back to my Android and it doesn't appear, the font is in Roboto, but in Android, we can't change it anyway. What I don't understand is, I opened the page of the topic on my phone to see if the symbols you inserted in your post would appear, and it does ! I think the problem appears only on several symbols, like the ? (function symbol) it should appear on your computer, but not on your Android device.

Anyway, the notes on my Android phone would just be usefull to read, not to edit it. So I'll probably just convert my notes in PDF...

First, I was thinking there is something to install on my phone then it can decode the UNICODE character and show it. It's the same as when the emojis were available on iPhone but not on all Android device, when an iPhone sent you an emoji, the Android phone just get a square.

I'll ask to stackoverflow's friends, maybe they have something to fix it. If you have any idea, just tell me, I think it would be usefull for everyone because I don't think I'm alone here to use Evernote for school :)

Steven

• Level 5

@WarningMania, I'm sorry that it didn't work! I don't really know what the problem is. But when all else fails, I blame the Chrome-based editor that Evernote introduced on Android last year. :P It may have something to do with that; it may not; but that editor has caused enough other problems that I might as well blame it for this too!

Hello there !

I just discussed with Chloe from the Evernote Support. Apparently, the special character f (for function) shows up on his iPhone. So maybe it's an Android related problem. Anyway, some of stackoverflow's guys said, to show the special characters that are not available in a font, to install custom fonts. I tried to see how I could do that, I didn't have so much time for that, your phone must be rooted etc I didn't elaborated more... So now I'm gonna replace all 1 by 1 my character by something I see on my phone woohoo !

Thanks for the help guys, if I have news about that from Chloe I'll let you know !

Steven

• Level 5*
On 2017-08-14 at 6:05 AM, WarningMania said:

I'm typing my school content on Evernote on my Macbook. And it happens that I use special character because it's maths related content. For exemple, I use the ? character for the function representation.

But if I'm in the transport or I can't open my macbook to see my course, I would rather use my phone, so here is my course on my Android phone :

Just curious; if you’re working on your Android device can you type these characters into Evernote

Actually, I’m not sure how to type these characters, I usually just cut and paste

14 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Just curious; if you’re working on your Android device can you type these characters into Evernote

Actually, I’m not sure how to type these characters, I usually just cut and paste

In fact, I can't type it, I just see it. Well, of course, I can copy and paste it, because it's still a character, I copy his "signature", or his "code" and I paste the "code" so if the recipient can show it properly, it will show it properly, to him.

14 minutes ago, DTLow said:

In fact, I can't type it, I just see it. Well, of course, I can copy and paste it, because it's still a character, I copy his "signature", or his "code" and I paste the "code" so if the recipient can show it properly, it will show it properly, to him.

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, WarningMania said:

In fact, I can't type it, I just see it.

Ok, how about viewing this discussion on your device.  Do you see the special characters (∫∞√∑) or are they replaced with the box

11 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Ok, how about viewing this discussion on your device.  Do you see the special characters (∫∞√∑) or are they replaced with the box

Those special characters yes,

1503000055-test-character-forum-evernote

but if I enter those characters : ?????, it wont, sorry, but for the experience, I'll have to double post

Archived