Chantal Leonard

Evernote for Windows 6.7 Beta 1 Released

Idea

Hi folks - 

Hot on the heels of our 6.6 GA, here's our first Beta of version 6.7. You can download it here. This first Beta includes a number of fixes and improvements. Please take it out for a spin and let us know what you think. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Windows & Note Editor teams. 

----------------

Release Notes for Windows version 6.7

Fixes and Improvements

Fixed paste + match style behavior where not all content was being pasted as expected

Fixed an issue where local unsynced content disappears when the source notebook is no longer available

Options dialog updates to use standard Windows control for tree navigation

Focus is not set to title or content based on user preference regardless of how new notes Open (previously only supported when a note is opened in a new window)

Added information on the note editor version in the 'About' dialog to improve root causing of issues

Fixed issue where wrong note is sometimes shown when launching presentation mode

Fixed issue where nothing happens when users clicks Edit >> Delete option in Single Note View

2 people like this

75 replies to this idea

OK, so paste and match style looks to have been "fixed". But as I describe in the below thread, paste and match style should do what it says, not retain font and spacing from the source text if the source text happens to be a title or subtitle. If a user wants to retain the formatting, we already have a feature for that - Paste (CTRL+V).

Example: copying title, subtitle and author sections of following article and pasting via Paste and Match Style: https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/9/16114530/net-neutrality-crusade-against-verizon-alex-nguyen-fcc

WZriREf.png

Not only would I have to spend time cleaning this up, but I don't even know how to fix the line spacing in the subtitle - EN seems to think it's some giant font as indicated by the size of the cursor, but the editor shows it to be font size 8, so I have no idea how I'd fix the line spacing since it's not really a line spacing issue (even though it looks like one at initial glance); it's single line spacing of giant font that's not actually giant font.

Please, if you would like Paste and Match Style actually match the style of your existing note (for example, you're copy/pasting some reference article title into an existing note), make your voice heard: 

1 person likes this

When displaying PDF as an attachment, I can not any longer position it exactly where I want.  The problem stems from attachment having an invisible box around it with the empty space.  The box only becomes visible if I right-click on the PDF or try to drag it to the place I want it to be displayed at. When I try to cut and paste it, it is temporary displays where I want. However, if I switch to the different note and then go back to the note with the PDF attachment it will move up from the previous spot because of the white space. Below is an example of what I am talking about. This white space eats into the note display space.

598be4013befd_boxaroundpdfattachment.thumb.png.8f82bb4ebf66931ee1428a3d28254e23.png

2 people like this

1 hour ago, keisoko said:

When displaying PDF as an attachment, I can not any longer position it exactly where I want.  The problem stems from attachment having an invisible box around it with the empty space.  The box only becomes visible if I right-click on the PDF or try to drag it to the place I want it to be displayed at. When I try to cut and paste it, it is temporary displays where I want. However, if I switch to the different note and then go back to the note with the PDF attachment it will move up from the previous spot because of the white space. Below is an example of what I am talking about. This white space eats into the note display space.

598be4013befd_boxaroundpdfattachment.thumb.png.8f82bb4ebf66931ee1428a3d28254e23.png

It happens to me as well but it does not seems that it is just pdf but it happens to image and other attachments as well

1 person likes this

The "Assign tags" window (Ctrl+Alt+T) no longer displays the whole tag names as of 6.7, no matter how big you make the window.

That 'empty space' thing around (apparently all) attachments is an annoyance.  I used to be able to get several attachments showing in one screen,  now they're spaced so far apart I can get 2-3 max. - Here's a quick example

598c6ffe0ad07_ScreenClip2.png.40b20e3c2cf3f4c57acde1693579fc8d.png

5 people like this

Hello all, 

This is a business account issue that hasn't been resolved in the GA or this Beta.

Previously, when I was in my business notebook (alt-2) and created a note, the note would go to my default Business notebook. Now, there only seems to be one default notebook and it can't be set to a business folder. As someone who uses Evernote extensively for business and personal matters, it's so helpful to be able to quickly decide which side of the online brain a new idea/note is going towards. 

I will note that if I Alt-F1 to a notebook in my business account and create a new note, it will go to that notebook, along with the tags I might have also searched for.

Best,

M

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, tavor said:

OK, so paste and match style looks to have been "fixed". But as I describe in the below thread, paste and match style should do what it says, not retain font and spacing from the source text if the source text happens to be a title or subtitle. If a user wants to retain the formatting, we already have a feature for that - Paste (CTRL+V).

Example: copying title, subtitle and author sections of following article and pasting via Paste and Match Style: https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/9/16114530/net-neutrality-crusade-against-verizon-alex-nguyen-fcc

WZriREf.png

Not only would I have to spend time cleaning this up, but I don't even know how to fix the line spacing in the subtitle - EN seems to think it's some giant font as indicated by the size of the cursor, but the editor shows it to be font size 8, so I have no idea how I'd fix the line spacing since it's not really a line spacing issue (even though it looks like one at initial glance); it's single line spacing of giant font that's not actually giant font.

Please, if you would like Paste and Match Style actually match the style of your existing note (for example, you're copy/pasting some reference article title into an existing note), make your voice heard: 

Currently - Paste and Match style removes these - font, size, color, align, indent, trailing whitespace  - items taggered (in the HTML) as Header 1 and such are not removed, which messes with line spacing and such.  I shared your info with Dev and the PM

2 people like this

The bug that causes your cursor to jump to the first line of the note is back in this build. I just spent a few minutes typing a lot of data into a table cell and after a few minutes, I found my self on the first line of the note.

I just changed the subject (a task) of a note with no body.

I had another note open in another window, which is also a shortcut note.

the shortcut note subject got changed, not the original note I was in. I only noticed when my shortcut bar looked strange.

I know for a fact I was in the task note because I specifically looked at the body and it it was empty. I paused for a second to let it download (sync on demand enabled) until I realized it was just a subject with no note body.

13 minutes ago, EdH said:

The bug that causes your cursor to jump to the first line of the note is back in this build. I just spent a few minutes typing a lot of data into a table cell and after a few minutes, I found my self on the first line of the note.

Dang, it is just happen during regular typing or were arrows or key combos hit during content creation?  (tracking down which bug got back in, hence the question)

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

That 'empty space' thing around (apparently all) attachments is an annoyance.  I used to be able to get several attachments showing in one screen,  now they're spaced so far apart I can get 2-3 max. - Here's a quick example

598c6ffe0ad07_ScreenClip2.png.40b20e3c2cf3f4c57acde1693579fc8d.png

On the positive side, it matches the fat margins around the text now. :(

3 people like this

1 hour ago, Jason Miller said:

Dang, it is just happen during regular typing or were arrows or key combos hit during content creation?  (tracking down which bug got back in, hence the question)

I was switching from italics to plain, so did CTRL-I some text CTRL-I more text - and the "more text" was at the top of the note.

Ok, Update from what I see it seems that it doesn't happen to all the notes. There are still some notes that are not affected.

2017-08-11_9-09-08.png

9 hours ago, EdH said:

I just changed the subject (a task) of a note with no body.

I had another note open in another window, which is also a shortcut note.

the shortcut note subject got changed, not the original note I was in. I only noticed when my shortcut bar looked strange.

I know for a fact I was in the task note because I specifically looked at the body and it it was empty. I paused for a second to let it download (sync on demand enabled) until I realized it was just a subject with no note body.

Just to clarify on this to show I didn't inadvertently do this:

1. Original note title I changed was "bookmark 76-78, in dax book"
  2. I changed it to "bookmark 76-78, 109-111 in dax book" by simply adding 109-111 in the middle. I did this in the EN main window, list view
  3. A totally different note (open in its own window) adopted the new note title - the entire thing. I never copied it to the clipboard, and didn't retype it.
  4. Original note retained the old "bookmark 76-78, in dax book" title.
  5. I know my typing took so I suspect this mixup happened on sync. I was editing both notes - the background note I was editing the body - some cell in a table.

Font size in the code block now seems to change at random. If I add a code block in 6.7 and return to the note after some time, it can be either bigger or smaller. It also seems to change based on if I view the note in the main window or in a single window.

7 hours ago, gustavgi said:

Font size in the code block now seems to change at random. If I add a code block in 6.7 and return to the note after some time, it can be either bigger or smaller. It also seems to change based on if I view the note in the main window or in a single window.

Thanks for the report, we will investigate 

BTW - Is the font being changed from the default font?  

Hi,
thanks gazumped for pointing me to this thread.

Unfortunately I have the very same issue.

In short: There is no way to paste text as actually plain text. And what's even worse: A pasted text with any format cannot be converted into "unformatted" at all.

Please see details (my ticket) too:
https://evernote.directly.com/p/evernote-how-to-paste-unformatted-text-3676309?r=3538833

It cannot be that I have to use a separate text editor as an intermediate step only to get rid of formatting!

Cheers

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, Farbauti said:

Hi,
thanks gazumped for pointing me to this thread.

Unfortunately I have the very same issue.

In short: There is no way to paste text as actually plain text. And what's even worse: A pasted text with any format cannot be converted into "unformatted" at all.

Please see details (my ticket) too:
https://evernote.directly.com/p/evernote-how-to-paste-unformatted-text-3676309?r=3538833

I cannot be that I have to use a separate text editor as an intermediate step only to get rid of formatting!

Cheers

Please add your voice and your vote to this thread: 

3 people like this

18 minutes ago, tavor said:

Or just reply here, since Jason has been active here on this already...

2 people like this

It's funny that this most-basic function has to be discussed at all :(

2 people like this

10 minutes ago, Farbauti said:

It's funny that this most-basic function has to be discussed at all :(

Evernote decided to 'improve' their product and got feedback from their users that this was not a good idea.  Not much discussion involved,  but feedback is sometimes definitely required to keep them on track!  ;)

3 people like this

1 hour ago, Jason Miller said:

Thanks for the report, we will investigate 

BTW - Is the font being changed from the default font?  

I suspect it's related to the font issue raised in the v6.6GA thread:

3 hours ago, tavor said:

Thanks for the feedback, sharing with the PM and Dev

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, jefito said:

Or just reply here, since Jason has been active here on this already...

I get updates from here first, but I recorded both links for the designers and such, so they can go read all the comments. 

2 people like this

48 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

I get updates from here first, but I recorded both links for the designers and such, so they can go read all the comments. 

Great, thanks. I started the other thread so that this particular issue didn't get lost in general discussion of version releases, and also to raise awareness and solicit feedback from users who don't always keep EN updated to most recent beta or GA release, and would thus otherwise be unaware of the changes to this very basic feature.

1 person likes this