Evernote 6.6, Please preserve HTML table format from older versions

Jimm Chen

Idea

I'm frustrated by a problem when upgrading to Evernote Windows desktop version 6.6.4 which is related to HTML tables.

I'm a heavy user of tables, because tables make information structure very clear. I used to have a bunch of table templates with colored headings so that my tables are more eye catching.

You can get my templates here: http://www.evernote.com/l/ABUzJRLa4hpKxJ0R7Q9IsewpFu40vsmYqH0/

In 6.5.4, they are displayed very well:

598b179d535c0_snap10550coloredtablecellbackground.png.de430445e1cdac7c83e8bb972c6ecbf9.png

But upgrading to 6.6.4, all header background colors are lost, and column width cannot be changed by dragging.

598b1afcd0d8a_snap10549evernote6.6tablecolordestroy.png.86ffc489145612893eaa7af8ab4d7009.png

I admit that 6.6's visual table editing feature is great, but losing old table functionality is so frustrating. I have 100+ such tables thus I have to refrain from upgrading to 6.6 for quite some while.

So, please Evernote development team, please keep old table display and operation behavior, and I will be so appreciative.

I think it is OK to provide a way(even a manual click to each old table) to convert non-standard table to 6.6's new style table, so that I can re-enable table header coloring.

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you open one of your table templates as a note and right-click the table,  do you get a small menu with "Upgrade Table" at the bottom?  Does ticking / unticking that make a difference?

Well, I see it. It really does the work. Thanks.

snap0462.png.033bea8f079918945086b1f6a199d909.png

However, I really miss the pre-6.6 table behavior of no-horizontal scroll table. That is: table column width is adjusted proportionally when I enlarge or shrink Evernote window width, so that I need only to scroll in one direction(vertically) to see the whole page content.

If we really need a horizontal scrollbar, the scrollbar should be at window level.

Evernote 6.6's per-table horizontal scrollbar is really weird. 

Of course, it will be best if you present per-table choice; user determines which scrollbar mode he likes.

[2018-08-13] It's a pity that Evernote 6.13 still does not implement the "proportional table width" feature for new-style table. Due to a security enforcement several days ago, Evernote 6.7 and prior cannot connect to Evernote server any more. So I am forced to upgrade. To work around my proportional table requirement, I have to turn to Autohotkey for help, generating desired legacy table CF_HTML content in clipboard, then paste into my evnotes.

To re-emphasize, Evernote 6.6+'s new-style table is so annoying! Please fix it, my dear Evernote developers. 

For a very long table(vertically long), it is a real pain to see the right-side truncated content. As the two figures shown below, I have to scroll down to end of the table, drag the horizontal scroll bar, then scroll back to head to the table. It breaks my sanity.

everpic-20180830_102331_355.png.b6ecb97d7e6283e10017c1b4487cb51a.png

everpic-20180830_102911_059.png.ad79fef2f10e65f7eb4adfeb32f88c48.png

Let's see how Evernote 6.5.4's old-style table behaves, it shows me complete horizontal content even with a very narrow window width, which is the desired behavior.

Snap14238.thumb.png.d04a91d00f724b1224e972cd2db6af80.png

Two more suggestions:

1. Since you allow table cell background color customization, why not allow table border color customization as well? Always seeing grey table borders are dull.
  2. Since you allow table cell background color customization, why do you limit the selection to only 6*4=24? User should be able to select any preferred RGB color, just like what you have done for choosing Text color in Windows desktop client .

On 9/28/2018 at 10:36 PM, CalS said:

Try the match note width option.

ScreenClip.png.53c5b5eb1adac37c13c04ee3a4a0b824.png

Sigh, it hardly helps. You execute "Match Note Width", and the table just changes from one fixed-width to another fixed-width. The width still does NOT scale automatically with window width.

16 hours ago, Jimm Chen said:

The width still does NOT scale automatically with window width.

True,  something  about the new  editor they are using,  I surmise it will not go back to the old behavior because of the new editor, though it would be nice if it did.

Archived