Uldis Z

Easier interlinking between notes

Idea

Currently, if I want to link to an existing note in one of my notebooks I have to navigate to that note, copy a link, then navigate back to the note where I want to link to it, and paste it there.

It is ok if you rarely do this. It is very time-consuming though if you need to do a lot of this.

Look at how it is done in many project management platforms, like e.g. Youtrack or Asana. If I type something like @ followed by a partial headline, the system shows all the notes with this text in the headline. Once I confirm, a link is created. Very fast and convenient. 

If you need me to explain it more, please don't hesitate to let me know. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would benefit from it.

19 replies to this idea

+1 

But beware that extensive note linking reduces the portability of your data because .enex files (what you would export notes to) do not preserve note links.

I'd like to see the EN editor [finally] get outline functionality, which would reduce the number of note links for most users.

1 person likes this

11 minutes ago, Wilf Forrow said:

Yes please. This is currently so awkward I never use it.  

FYI, there are multiple ways to link notes - the copy/paste described in the OP, dragging a note from the main desktop app window into a note opened in its own window, and using the table of contents feature. There may be other ways as well, and maybe someone can chime in on that.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, tavor said:

But beware that extensive note linking reduces the portability of your data because .enex files (what you would export notes to) do not preserve note links.

For clarity, the note link issue is only for note links to notes in local notebooks.  Links to notes in synced notebooks are preserved in the ENEX export/import.  That's how it works for me anyway.

The dialog when you create a link to a local note sort of tells the story.

ScreenClip.png.582b06ecc00ab80e198e4b07d7882d09.png

1 person likes this

20 hours ago, tavor said:

Not sure about the portability reference

The .enex export is a backup feature; and usually the recovery is for individual notes.  Yes, the link to the note Is lost,  but I don’t see this as a reason to not link notes

For portability, I’d use the export to html format

13 hours ago, DTLow said:

Yes, the note link is lost but I don’t see this as a reason to not link notes

Only for local notes....

18 hours ago, csihilling said:

For clarity, the note link issue is only for note links to notes in local notebooks.  Links to notes in synced notebooks are preserved in the ENEX export/import.  That's how it works for me anyway.

When I import from (Mac) an .enex file, new notes are created; regardless if they are from local or sync'd notebooks
I can even have two copies of the note, the sync version and my imported version

As new notes, any links to the original note will no longer be valid 

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

When I import from an .enex file, new notes are created; regardless if they are from local or sync'd notebooks
I can even have two copies of the note, the sync version and my imported version

If you are doing a complete notebook replace then the links will be lost.  If you are recovering notes, the links will work.  The links point to the sync version, not the imported version.

12 minutes ago, DTLow said:

When I import from (Mac) an .enex file, new notes are created; regardless if they are from local or sync'd notebooks

That was my understanding of how .enex import works. And if you have a new note, that means no note links to it until you create such links.

3 minutes ago, csihilling said:

If you are doing a complete notebook replace then the links will be lost.  If you are recovering notes, the links will work.  The links point to the sync version, not the imported version.

OK, so if you're retrieving individual notes, then to preserve your note links, you should copy the content of the imported note into the existing note (this latter note is the one that the links point to). Is that correct?

3 hours ago, tavor said:

OK, so if you're retrieving individual notes, then to preserve your note links, you should copy the content of the imported note into the existing note (this latter note is the one that the links point to). Is that correct?

That will work.  However, hard to do if the original note is gone

I prefer to copy lost content into the original note.  All my tags, notebook, links etc are preserved

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, tavor said:

ENEX works well for the occasional dumba$$ attack of deleting a note which might contains links.  But there isn't a robust full back up solution for EN that supports links.  So my solution has been to never change the note link text.  Then if something does happen and I have to restore from my backups, I can do an intitle:"note link title text", then copy the link and put it back in the note where it was lost.  Not necessarily pretty, but I know I can recover links, as I need them.

To your question:  

If you retrieve a note that contains links to other notes, you can simply replace that note in the current notebook (delete the old, move the import).  If you are retrieving the contents of a note to which other notes link you should copy the content into the old note, if available.  Since it is not always obvious when a note is linked to, you can use the intitle search to find out, assuming the rule of not changing the title is followed.  If the old note is gone, move the imported note and then do the intitle search to find those notes pointing to it and fix them. 

Think of it this way, each note has its own ID so links in imported notes to existing notes work fine, the ID hasn't changed on the target notes.  Deleting/replacing a current note with an imported note in essence changes the ID of the note and the existing links won't work anymore, hence replace the contents.  Hope that helps.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, csihilling said:

If the old note is gone, move the imported note and then do the intitle search to find those notes pointing to it and fix them.

Are you sure about using intitle: search
I understand the rule of not changing the link text, but the links to fix are in the notes contents

1 hour ago, csihilling said:

So my solution has been to never change the note link text.  Then if something does happen and I have to restore from my backups, I can do an intitle:"note link title text", then copy the link and put it back in the note where it was lost.  Not necessarily pretty, but I know I can recover links, as I need them.

I understood the rest of your post, but not understanding this part. Are you appending the titles of notes that link to a target note? Let's say target note is called "Target Note 1". So if I understand you correctly, if you have a note, "Pointer Note" that contains a link to Target Note 1, then your full title for this pointer note would be "Pointer Note note link Target Note 1"?

13 hours ago, DTLow said:

Are you sure about using intitle: search
I understand the rule of not changing the link text, but the links to fix are in the notes contents

Correct.  And when you find a link that no longer works because the target note has been deleted, you do the intitle: search to find the imported note which is the backup of the missing target note and then add that link to the note where the link is broken.  And move the target note backup to the appropriate notebook.

11 hours ago, tavor said:

I understood the rest of your post, but not understanding this part. Are you appending the titles of notes that link to a target note? Let's say target note is called "Target Note 1". So if I understand you correctly, if you have a note, "Pointer Note" that contains a link to Target Note 1, then your full title for this pointer note would be "Pointer Note note link Target Note 1"?

No, I am not putting the notes that link to a note into the note.  

When you paste an internal link into another note the text that is pasted is the title of the note being linked to.  So I just leave that text alone.  If I ever delete the target note by accident, I will get an error when I try to access the link.  I can then use the text to search for the target note in the imported notebook.  

1. I have Note A and Note B.  
  2. I put a link to Note B into Note A, which appears as Note B
  3. I accidentally delete Note B.  
  4. At some point I stumble on the fact that the link in Note A to Note B no longer works.
  5. I do an intitle:"Note B" search and don't get any results. 
  6. I import the backup for the notebook that contained Note B
  7. Find Note B, get the link and paste into Note A where the link was in the first place, and move Note B 
  8. Now the link in Note A works again.

Not pretty, but I am able to restore links in notes by simply searching for the link text and making the adjustments.  Make sense?

Same process works if God forbid I had to to replace an entire notebook from the ENEX backups,  Particularly useful when you recreate a local notebook during a DB rebuild.  I use note links in local notebooks sparingly, but still have some.  These local links can be rebuilt in this fashion,  Again, only has to be rebuilt if/when I try and access the note link. 

Key to the process is keep the link text the same as the note title.  And point is you can recreate links if you absolutely have to.

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, csihilling said:

Correct.  And when you find a link that no longer works because the target note has been deleted, you do the intitle: search to find the imported note which is the backup of the missing target note and then add that link to the note where the link is broken.  And move the target note backup to the appropriate notebook.

No, I am not putting the notes that link to a note into the note.  

When you paste an internal link into another note the text that is pasted is the title of the note being linked to.  So I just leave that text alone.  If I ever delete the target note by accident, I will get an error when I try to access the link.  I can then use the text to search for the target note in the imported notebook.  

1. I have Note A and Note B.  
  2. I put a link to Note B into Note A, which appears as Note B
  3. I accidentally delete Note B.  
  4. At some point I stumble on the fact that the link in Note A to Note B no longer works.
  5. I do an intitle:"Note B" search and don't get any results. 
  6. I import the backup for the notebook that contained Note B
  7. Find Note B, get the link and paste into Note A where the link was in the first place, and move Note B 
  8. Now the link in Note A works again.

Not pretty, but I am able to restore links in notes by simply searching for the link text and making the adjustments.  Make sense?

Same process works if God forbid I had to to replace an entire notebook from the ENEX backups,  Particularly useful when you recreate a local notebook during a DB rebuild.  I use note links in local notebooks sparingly, but still have some.  These local links can be rebuilt in this fashion,  Again, only has to be rebuilt if/when I tray and access the note link. 

Key to the process is keep the link text the same as the note title.  And point is you can recreate links if you absolutely have to.

Got it, thanks!

I can see why this method depends on not changing the note title. But there are many reasons why you might want to subsequently change a note's title. I suppose to preserve the ability to manually recover note links, you have to do an intitle search for a note's title prior to changing the note's title (for all notes, unless you know for sure that the note in question is not a target for any other notes), so you know which pointer notes' content need to be updated with the target note's new title.

2 hours ago, tavor said:

Got it, thanks!

I can see why this method depends on not changing the note title. But there are many reasons why you might want to subsequently change a note's title. I suppose to preserve the ability to manually recover note links, you have to do an intitle search for a note's title prior to changing the note's title (for all notes, unless you know for sure that the note in question is not a target for any other notes), so you know which pointer notes' content need to be updated with the target note's new title.

You are welcome and you got it   😊

11 hours ago, csihilling said:

Correct.  And when you find a link that no longer works because the target note has been deleted, you do the intitle: search to find the imported note which is the backup of the missing target note and then add that link to the note where the link is broken

That works when you encounter an invalid link
My plan was to be pro-active and fix the links when I import a missing note

15 minutes ago, DTLow said:

That works when you encounter an invalid link
My plan was to be pro-active and fix the links when I import a missing note

Yeah, I am lazy.  I will fix the link when I find the problem.  Plus, as stated above, a couple of times I inadvertently deleted a note and didn't know I had hosed a link.  Horses for courses.