MrShlomo

Separate email for each notebook

Idea

Currently, all emails I send to my Evernote "Email Notes to" address land in the "Inbox" notebook. I am suggesting to have a separate email address for each notebook, just like Todoist has a separate email for each project.

I know, it is possible to route an email into a specific notebook by adding "@notebook_name" to the email subject but in practice, this is inconvenient, time consuming, and error prone. you have to remember to use "@" (instead of "#" as it is in other applications). You have to type the notebook name correctly. You have to click edit subject + navigate to the end of it + type out the notebook name manually ...

For the Todoist projects to which I often email todos, I saved the corresponding email addresses into my address book, all prefixed with "Todoist - " - thus, when I start typing "Todo" in the recipient field, all of my email clients are giving me auto-complete suggestions for all Todoist project email addresses I saved. Very convenient, very fast to use, no danger of mistyping. I'd love to do the same with Evernote notebooks.

A nice side effect of not modifying the email subject: all common email clients are automatically grouping emails with the same subject into a thread (even if prefixes like "FWD:" are added). Thus, leaving the subject as is when forwarding to Evernote will attach this forwared email to the same thread as the original one, making it easy and convenient to check which ones you saved to Evernote already.

This feature request also reflects the desires of dozens of commenters on the following two feature requests. Yet, I decided to create a separate thread here because the other two are only mentioning this feature among others:

7 replies to this idea

And the difference between remembering an email address and a notebook is?  

In either case you could use a text expander like PhraseExpress to create a hotkey which would enter the email address and/or add the notebook name.  Have about eight of those myself, combination of adding notebook and tags to forwarded email subject lines.  

On 8/5/2017 at 1:41 AM, csihilling said:

And the difference between remembering an email address and a notebook is?

Every modern mail client offers text expanding for email addresses stored in your address book without extra software and without remembering hotkeys. If you prefix the address book contact names with "Evernote - ", e.g. "Evernote - Wedding", "Evernote - Germany Trip 2017" etc., typing in "ever" will give you a nice selection of all the Evernote notebook emails you have, so you don't have to remember if it was "Germany Trip 2017" or "Germany 2017" or "germany_17" etc.

Also, keeping the subject line mostly unchanged allows the email clients to group the mails together (see second last paragraph of OP).

On 2017-08-04 at 0:54 PM, MrShlomo said:

Currently, all emails I send to my Evernote "Email Notes to" address land in the "Inbox" notebook.

You’ve posted the request, and we will see if there’s support from the user base.  Voting buttons are in the upper left corner of the discussion.

Personally, I’m comfortable with my mail, clippings etc going to my Inbox Notebook for followup later.  

I realize there’s a school of thought about not handling the work twice but I don’t want any effort during “collection”  (GTD speak)

If I was concerned, I would add code to my email>Evernote script (Mac); a selected dropdown list for notebook/tag.  I can work with the current email feature

34 minutes ago, MrShlomo said:

Every modern mail client offers text expanding for email addresses stored in your address book without extra software and without remembering hotkeys. If you prefix the address book contact names with "Evernote - ", e.g. "Evernote - Wedding", "Evernote - Germany Trip 2017" etc., typing in "ever" will give you a nice selection of all the Evernote notebook emails you have, so you don't have to remember if it was "Germany Trip 2017" or "Germany 2017" or "germany_17" etc.

Also, keeping the subject line mostly unchanged allows the email clients to group the mails together (see second last paragraph of OP).

Get all that, just not clear how many email addresses to notebooks one would have so as to make remembering a mnemonic difficult.  

Case in point, as a workaround I use PhraseExpress triggered by autotext for emails to EN, not so much for notebooks but for tags, pretty much the same concept.  Plus I clean up the useless lines on the front of the forwarded email.  

So ffama<space> in the To: area,

1. Adds my EN email address
  2. Removes the fwd text from the subject
  3. Puts a date on the front of the subject
  4. Adds the notebook and tags to the subject
  5. Deletes the first 3 lines in the body

No muss, no fuss, no typos.  I have 15 of these, all easy to remember based upon the mnemonic.  A workaround that is reliable and does more than notebook assignment.  YMMV.

Email addresses for each notebook is still not an Evernote feature

This feature is supported by third party Filterize

Filterize mail-in address

Filterize also offers you an address for every notebook. Just go to the mail-in page at Filterize and paste your Evernote email address there. Now, you can use the Filterize mail-addresses. Every notebook has a distinct one. This way you can setup your rules in the mail client to forward mails to the right notebook. Also you can use these addresses as recipient for newsletters, which will be stored in Evernote in the right notebook automatically.

Thanks!
This is a good tip..hadn't come across it yet!