Evernote for Windows 6.6 GA Released

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Today we're releasing version 6.6 GA - you cadownload it here. This release gives all users access to the new editor including better tables and image preview functionality along with some improvements to the share dialog. 

Our new editor has some changes in it's behavior including how it handles copy/paste, simplify formating and lays out content. We're continuing to track feedback in this and other areas to understand what to refine next in terms of the experience, so please keep the feedback coming as we're expecting to include more tweaks along with more editing features in 6.7 and upcoming releases.

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Windows and the Editor teams! 

--------------------

Full release notes for version 6.6: 

Evernote for Windows 6.6 Release Notes

Major improvements to tables!

Some highlights:

• Quickly add rows and columns – via the plus button
  • Easily select cells – by clicking-and-dragging, or by clicking the column/row headers
  • Efficiently drag and drop rows & columns – by clicking on the row/column headers, and then dragging and dropping the row/column elsewhere
  • Better copy/paste – copy multiple cells, then place your cursor anywhere in the table to paste into multiple cells
  • New fixed width columns – so that as you increase/decrease one column’s width, it does not affect the next column’s width
  • New horizontally scrollable tables – so that you won’t need to expand your window wide to view a table that has many columns
  • Access advanced table functions – via the new menu which provides options such as
    • Resizing the table width to match the current window size
    • Distributing selected columns evenly
    • Adjusting alignment of content in cells
    • Changing cell background color
  • Additional info: The new tables do not support "table-in-table" or "merged cell" functionality. If you paste incompatible tables into a note, then the tables in the note will not have the updated table features or controls (including resizing). In a future update, we plan to support pasted-in tables that have merged cells.

New image gallery!

Double-click on an image to enter the gallery mode, which allows you to quickly browse all the images in your note!

New editor

Evernote for Windows now utilizes the new editor, which has been rewritten to allow for more rapid improvements to the editor moving forward.

Improved Share dialog

More easily share notes via our improved UI which allows sharing to another evernote user or through a public link.

Bug fixes

A number of user reported bugs are now fixed in this release:

• Notes with tables and checkboxes were sometimes causing the app to hang
  • Line breaks were sometimes hidden below the bottom margin of the note
  • When attempting to repeatedly add attachments to a note, sometimes attachments fail to be added to note
  • When copying text from an email that contains dates/times that have were auto-formatted as links, sometimes the dates/times were not pastable into Evernote
  • If a user had changed their font size, began typing text and creating line breaks, and then deleted some text, the font size would sometimes unexpectedly revert back to the default size
  • Undo often did not work on the first try when there was a table in the note

----------------------------------

Screenshots

image.thumb.png.9e446002c7745046ca14d4a9d11d69c5.png

• Like 3

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, tavor said:

I'd like hyperlinks to be retained, but that's it. Hyperlinks are easier to remove than to add.

All the formatting - font, font size, line spacing, indents, etc. should all be stripped out and match the style of the target EN note.

Beats me why EN thought that users wanted Paste and Match Style to retain formatting if the source material is encoded as a header. All of the comments I've seen since this was introduced in v6.6 have been opposed to this.

If they keep hyperlinks, they should keep feature X, Y, and Z too. 

Either it is text, or it is mystery meat.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, EdH said:

The point of software is to meet consumer desires, not to satisfy some purist aesthetic. With that in mind, they could request user feedback on this - i.e., would users prefer Paste and Match Style work the way it used to or enhanced by retaining hyperlinks? My guess is the latter would win by a landslide.

Or provide another option, i.e., Paste and Match Style (Retain Hyperlinks).

That said, if the only options EN is willing to entertain are the old Paste and Match Style or this newfangled Paste and Match Style Except for Headers, then I'm in your camp. I'd rather manually insert hyperlinks than deal with manually stripping out header formatting.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, tavor said:

The point of software is to meet consumer desires, not some purist goal. With that in mind, they could request user feedback on this - i.e., would users prefer Paste and Match Style work the way it used to or enhanced by retaining hyperlinks? My guess is the latter would win by a landslide.

Or provide another option, i.e., Paste and Match Style (Retain Hyperlinks).

They could. then you are left with a Paste Special dialog box like Office apps have with 6+ choices unless you are in Excel, where there are at least 30 110 combinations of ways to paste. (yes, I counted, and that still excludes the conditional format pasting options)

But, if you say in any of those text only (values in Excel), it is crystal clear what you are getting.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, EdH said:

They could. then you are left with a Paste Special dialog box like Office apps have with 6+ choices unless you are in Excel, where there are at least 30 combinations of ways to paste.

But, if you say in any of those text only (values in Excel), it is crystal clear what you are getting.

It's just one more option, so instead of having two paste options in the Edit menu, there would be three paste options, all of which have shortcuts. No need for a dialog box.

2 minutes ago, EdH said:

I don't suppose it much matters as long as we know exactly what is going to be pasted in every time. It can't be pasting one thing this time and then look different the next time we grab something. It's either match style or not, as long as it's consistent. I'd prefer text only just because I then know exactly what to expect. When I have to sit and figure out what just caused things to get screwed up, it's a pain. Was it a header that changed everything in my spacing? Did a hyperlink just send me to never-never-land? Where did those extra lines come from? Just keep it consistent and people might adapt. Maybe. Possibly. Sorta. Kinda.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, OrbWeaver said:

I don't suppose it much matters as long as we know exactly what is going to be pasted in every time. It can't be pasting one thing this time and then look different the next time we grab something. It's either match style or not, as long as it's consistent. I'd prefer text only just because I then know exactly what to expect. When I have to sit and figure out what just caused things to get screwed up, it's a pain. Was it a header that changed everything in my spacing? Did a hyperlink just send me to never-never-land? Where did those extra lines come from? Just keep it consistent and people might adapt. Maybe. Possibly. Sorta. Kinda.

Like it or not, Office sort of sets the expectation here, and "Paste as Text" means text only, and that is what you get and users clearly understand everything but the text (ASCII) is stripped out. Clean and simple.

The other app that sets expectations is Chrome with its "paste as plain text." Again, no ambiguity there at all.

10 minutes ago, EdH said:

Like it or not, Office sort of sets the expectation here, and "Paste as Text" means text only, and that is what you get and users clearly understand everything but the text (ASCII) is stripped out. Clean and simple.

The other app that sets expectations is Chrome with its "paste as plain text." Again, no ambiguity there at all.

For me, the consistency is the most important consideration. As long as Chrome, Firefox, Opera and whatever else is out there all render the headers (H1/2/3 etc.) in exactly the same way, then I will know what I can expect to see when I Paste-and-Match-Style while retaining headers. If different browsers use a different font for a particular header or the size is going to vary, or this uses blue and that uses green, then it's a waste of time to retain them. The paste operation will not be predictable and the user will have to spend their time making things look the way they want. If Google/Mozilla/Opera/?? all agree that H1 is 24pt, Times, blue with pink stripes and a maple leaf dotting the i's and j's, then keep the headers. The paste will be predictable.If not, lose them.

28 minutes ago, EdH said:

Shared all this info (and comments) with the powers that be (PM, Dev, etc)

• Like 4
1 minute ago, csihilling said:

Anybody for 

1. Plain text
  2. All source formatting
  3. Whatever stripped down but not quite plain text is

Count me in. Sounds like status quo with an extra option. Ctrl-Shift-V / Ctrl-V / Ctrl-Alt-V ? Whatever...

Plain text only is useful for me. But if different behaviour is useful for some of us, there are 2 solutions :

• the user should choose the behaviour in the settings : by default the behaviour is the same than before : plain text only, but in options you can modify this behaviour : copy with formating, copy with url links ,....
  • Create different shortcuts for each action : ctrl + shift +v = plain text only , ctrl + alt + v  = plain text with url , etc.... and make these shortcuts in the "edit" top menu.

In office excel there are already many copy/paste options it could be a source of inspiration ;)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/291358/how-to-use-the-paste-options-button-in-excel

• Like 1

Hi All,

Oh dear! I don't normally update until a version has been around a while. Unfortunately I made a bad decision when away on business and updated!

I have over 32,000 Notes and probably half of those contain emails.

The upgrade has stripped a lot of the headers from the emails and placed them at the top of the Note. Sad thing is, no amount of updates will get this one sorted.

Feeling very miffed at this one.

Regards

Chris

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, C6REW said:

Hi All,

Oh dear! I don't normally update until a version has been around a while. Unfortunately I made a bad decision when away on business and updated!

The upgrade has stripped a lot of the headers from the emails and placed them at the top of the Note. Sad thing is, no amount of updates will get this one sorted.

Regards

Chris

Not quite the same, but I was searching for something and an older note appeared with the email header indented.  I highlighted the header and pressed outdent and the header disappeared.  Fortunately only one note, so Ctrl-Z got it back.  So something getting misinterpreted in the HTML I suppose.

Anyone at EN wants the note I can PM the ENEX to you.

EDIT:  Sent a copy to @Jason Miller and outdent worked fine for him.  Moved the note to a different notebook and it then worked for me.  I can try and outdent the email header and it gets deleted every time, move the note and it doesn't.  Weirdness.  Not worth tracking for me.

Edited by csihilling
Update
10 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Not quite the same, but I was searching for something and an older note appeared with the email header indented.  I highlighted the header and pressed outdent and the header disappeared.  Fortunately only one note, so Ctrl-Z got it back.  So something getting misinterpreted in the HTML I suppose.

Anyone at EN wants the note I can PM the ENEX to you.

You can through the ENEX file, the messaging system on this forums works fine for that

• Ex Employees
3 hours ago, C6REW said:

Hi All,

Regards

Chris

How do the notes appear on Evernote Web? Any different? How did you originally get the affected emails into Evernote? I'll reach out via a support ticket to request some screenshots and examples to get these to our development team.

• Level 5*

Something else related to emails that I just noticed is when I bcc my Evernote account.  I do this quite frequently for emails that I want to follow up on.  I haven't done extensive testing but if it is a new note it shows up in EN ok, but if I'm responding to a note, the note trail shows up but not the note I typed.  The note I typed actually shows up (at least partially) in the snippet view but is stripped away in the actual note.  I just noticed this and am not sure when it crept in.

The note headers have always been stripped away in a bcc, as best as I can remember, but now the new note content is gone.  The work around for now is to not use bcc and instead forward the sent email into my EN account ... a two step process unfortunately.

• Level 5*

Update - it looks like the new note content is not gone.  Scrolling through the note trail I have found the information but it is out of order.  It is not at the top of the note but instead buried in the middle of the note trail.  I'm not sure what it is doing, but something is squirrelly.  It seems like attachments in the note trail may be affecting this.  Anyone else notice this?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, OrbWeaver said:

So that's why all the feature requests keep disappearing... :):):)

Funny, but it's unlikely that they're using Evernote to do bug tracking. More likely a dedicated application.

Hello.

I am having a frustrating experience with this update:

I created a note with a few .doc files. Then I added bullet points for each of the files, however, when I increased the indentation of these bullet points the files just vanish. After, even when I use the Ctrl+z command, the files won't appear. 

Please do find a solution for this issue.

Thank you.

16 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Update - it looks like the new note content is not gone.  Scrolling through the note trail I have found the information but it is out of order.  It is not at the top of the note but instead buried in the middle of the note trail.  I'm not sure what it is doing, but something is squirrelly.  It seems like attachments in the note trail may be affecting this.  Anyone else notice this?

Interesting, when I sent an email between 2 accounts and BCC'ed my EN account, I got the email just fine, in EN, then when I did a reply all, the new content of the new email is at the top of the new note - am I missing a step in your flow of events? 

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

am I missing a step in your flow of events?

I'll have to do more testing and get you a specific email.  I have found it to be inconsistent.  Some have been ok, others are not.  At first glance I think embedded attachments affect this but I've been seeing this with work emails and can't share those.  I will try to get recreate steps.

14 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

I'll have to do more testing and get you a specific email.  I have found it to be inconsistent.  Some have been ok, others are not.  At first glance I think embedded attachments affect this but I've been seeing this with work emails and can't share those.  I will try to get recreate steps.

Understand and thank you for playing with it more

Hi, thanks for this new version. The tab feature is great :D . I've noticed a bug when trying to highlight some text when a background color is set (cf. picture).

Also when creating a note the focus is not set to the text area, and a click on the note is needed. But it seems this problem is adressed in Evernote 6.7

ScreenClip2332.png

Since this update, I am constantly having to select 'match note width' for each table I view on a regular basis. 

Even if I change screen, or move the window into the multitask (half-screen) position I then have to reset the width of each table. 

Is there a way to make Evernote do this by default? Or is it a bug which Evernote will eventually address?

8 hours ago, EVERPDR said:

Since this update, I am constantly having to select 'match note width' for each table I view on a regular basis. 

Even if I change screen, or move the window into the multitask (half-screen) position I then have to reset the width of each table. 

Is there a way to make Evernote do this by default? Or is it a bug which Evernote will eventually address?

Sorry, that is the current design with a request to make it stick to the width for when you resize the screen. 

• Level 5*
On 8/18/2017 at 10:15 AM, Jason Miller said:

Understand and thank you for playing with it more

To follow up, I am seeing the jumbled content on most forwarded or bcc'd emails into my Evernote account.  Attachments don't seem to be the problem, it does appear that it may be limited to notes being forwarded from my work Lotus Notes account.  I can't yet replicate this using gmail.  Using Lotus Notes is a corner case and I wouldn't expect Evernote to chase this one down, but please note it in case it shows up elsewhere.  Also, FWIW, this is new behavior.  I am using 6.6.4.5512 and it did not occur in the prior public version.  I did use two betas in between and am not sure exactly when it started.

3 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

To follow up, I am seeing the jumbled content on most forwarded or bcc'd emails into my Evernote account.  Attachments don't seem to be the problem, it does appear that it may be limited to notes being forwarded from my work Lotus Notes account.  I can't yet replicate this using gmail.  Using Lotus Notes is a corner case and I wouldn't expect Evernote to chase this one down, but please note it in case it shows up elsewhere.  Also, FWIW, this is new behavior.  I am using 6.6.4.5512 and it did not occur in the prior public version.  I did use two betas in between and am not sure exactly when it started.

Do you happen to have one of these jumbled notes you can share? (we can at least take a look at it) 

19 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Sure, PM sent.

Thanks for sharing , not sure why cleaning up the tags in the email would cause the order of things to be switched.  Do you have the note just appearing fine in 6.6 and then jumbled in 6.7 to compare (so we can look at the underlying note structure) 

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

not sure why cleaning up the tags in the email would cause the order of things to be switched.  Do you have the note just appearing fine in 6.6 and then jumbled in 6.7 to compare

Sorry, I'm not following.  I didn't make any comments about tags in the note I shared with you.  I forwarded the note into my Evernote account without any editing.  Where I mention this is how it should look, that is just a direct copy of the note from my sent folder.  Also I am using 6.6.4.5512.  The problem is occuring in that version, not 6.7 beta.

7 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Sorry, I'm not following.  I didn't make any comments about tags in the note I shared with you.  I forwarded the note into my Evernote account without any editing.  Where I mention this is how it should look, that is just a direct copy of the note from my sent folder.  Also I am using 6.6.4.5512.  The problem is occuring in that version, not 6.7 beta.

Sorry - tags I am referring are actually in the internal HTML structure you never have to see :-)

I was hoping to get lucky and have a before (it goes messed up) and after note to look at, to see what is changing on the inside (under the hood so to speak) 

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

I was hoping to get lucky and have a before (it goes messed up) and after note to look at, to see what is changing on the inside (under the hood so to speak)

Thanks for the explanation.

I should be able to recreate this with an earlier forwarded email.  Will follow up when I have something.

Does anybody else have issues with note content NOT being displayed in the Windows client after upgrading, but just the empty window being shown with the message "Drag files here or start typing"?

I have such notes. Interestingly export of the note still gives me an .enex file with the correct note content, but editing (the empty-looking) note corrupts it, with the original content being destroyed.

I did submit a support ticket with an example note, but still want to get a feel whether other people using Windows have issues with note display and corruption. I'm getting real nervous here, after I had issues with wrong note contents and note corruption on iOS (which I then stopped using). Yes, paying customers can go back with note history and yes, one should have separate backup schemes, but if you're a reasonably heavy user of Evernote with a large number of notes you would like to have a tool you can trust, since Evernote is supposed to remember the notes for you, not yourself.

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, lhb said:

Does anybody else have issues with note content NOT being displayed in the Windows client after upgrading, but just the empty window being shown with the message "Drag files here or start typing"?

Are you able to display the activity log to see if there’s a holdup in processing

I have the same issue on my Mac.  If I wait, the content eventually displays

3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Are you able to display the activity log to see if there’s a holdup in processing

I have the same issue on my Mac.  If I wait, the content eventually displays

Good suggestion. While the activity log does display something like

17:00:43 [12224] Finding related content for note "....

When I click on other notes, it does not for this one.  I waited for a few minutes, and I still don't see it displaying, or showing up in the activity log, although it is not "finding related content" for some other notes that look OK. 

Once in a while I see also client synchronization messages in the log, and I can initiate synchronization with it showing up in the log while the "empty" note still shows as "empty".

22 hours ago, lhb said:

I have such notes. Interestingly export of the note still gives me an .enex file with the correct note content, but editing (the empty-looking) note corrupts it, with the original content being destroyed.

I did submit a support ticket with an example note, but still want to get a feel whether other people using Windows have issues with note display and corruption. I'm getting real nervous here, after I had issues with wrong note contents and note corruption on iOS (which I then stopped using). Yes, paying customers can go back with note history and yes, one should have separate backup schemes, but if you're a reasonably heavy user of Evernote with a large number of notes you would like to have a tool you can trust, since Evernote is supposed to remember the notes for you, not yourself.

That is something in the note that is causing a problem with updates to the edit - is this a note that is safe to share with our developers so they can see what is going on? 

1 hour ago, Jason Miller said:

That is something in the note that is causing a problem with updates to the edit - is this a note that is safe to share with our developers so they can see what is going on? 

As mentioned, I did submit a ticket with a note, and am cooperating with support to confirm and resolve the issue. But I have an outsized fear that notes could be corrupted or lost without me being aware of it, and this forum has often been helpful to confirm the existence of issues beyond my computers. Also, this particular issue seems new.

On 22/08/2017 at 10:23 PM, Jason Miller said:

Sorry, that is the current design with a request to make it stick to the width for when you resize the screen. 

Thanks for the response, but does that make the most sense? It means that I have to 'match width' for every single table, within every single note, every time I open the note or resize it. That seems like an awful lot of work in the long term!

I can appreciate that it allows people to create wider tables but the result is a very awkward user experience.Untitled.thumb.png.3e430db9c81b13b4dadffcd4b07e097f.png

For example, I take notes of important telephone calls, and refer back to them throughout the day. With the latest update, the information I refer to is now hidden from view until I select 'match width'.

Please can you make this a default option, or give users the opportunity to do so?

16 minutes ago, EVERPDR said:

Thanks for the response, but does that make the most sense? It means that I have to 'match width' for every single table, within every single note, every time I open the note or resize it. That seems like an awful lot of work in the long term!

I can appreciate that it allows people to create wider tables but the result is a very awkward user experience.Untitled.thumb.png.3e430db9c81b13b4dadffcd4b07e097f.png

For example, I take notes of important telephone calls, and refer back to them throughout the day. With the latest update, the information I refer to is now hidden from view until I select 'match width'.

Please can you make this a default option, or give users the opportunity to do so?

Never suggested it made sense.  I would per tables to stick to the width of my note most of the time (there is a feature request for this) - however for now this is the current design. :-(

Preface: Most of my notes are written in Markdown and sent to Evernote via the sublime-evernote plugin.

Since the 6.6 update, I've noticed a change in the way header elements and lists are rendered together in the Windows client. Specifically, there is whitespace missing between the end of unordered/ordered lists and heading elements when followed by another header of the same level (in this example, <h2>).

en_windows.thumb.gif.f6f98d00d93539ce43ef8a35515be594.gif

This was not a problem prior to the recent update.

The note in the Android and web clients appears as expected.

en_android.thumb.gif.ec3324280dd40354a51184aad4138607.gif

en_web.thumb.gif.9b5360741b2bb240f47936de583691ca.gif

I have a problem with the new tables :

When I change the background color in a specific cell with black text, and I pick a color such as dark green, my black text changes automatically to "white" . It is really annoying as I sometimes have my text written in different colors, not only black, and I have to readjust everything.

It is a nice idea in theory to automatically adapt the text to the background color used, but not in practice as it messes up the existing layout. Or at least, put an exception to the rule and don't change the text color when it is different than the default one (black). 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Gauthier said:

When I change the background color in a specific cell with black text, and I pick a color such as dark green, my black text changes automatically to "white" . It is really annoying as I sometimes have my text written in different colors, not only black, and I have to readjust everything.

It is a nice idea in theory to automatically adapt the text to the background color used, but not in practice as it messes up the existing layout. Or at least, put an exception to the rule and don't change the text color when it is different than the default one (black). 

Yeah, my experience is that anytime you change the background color EN will change the text color to its default.  Changed text colors don't survive a background color change.  Reported in the beta feedback threads but no action was taken. 

On 9/3/2017 at 0:22 AM, Mason Chumpia said:

Preface: Most of my notes are written in Markdown and sent to Evernote via the sublime-evernote plugin.

Since the 6.6 update, I've noticed a change in the way header elements and lists are rendered together in the Windows client. Specifically, there is whitespace missing between the end of unordered/ordered lists and heading elements when followed by another header of the same level (in this example, <h2>).

en_windows.thumb.gif.f6f98d00d93539ce43ef8a35515be594.gif

This was not a problem prior to the recent update.

The note in the Android and web clients appears as expected.

en_android.thumb.gif.ec3324280dd40354a51184aad4138607.gif

en_web.thumb.gif.9b5360741b2bb240f47936de583691ca.gif

So the problem happened with 6.6?  (which had an update to the editor) - could we get copy of a note that is having the problem, so dev can take a look?

On 9/4/2017 at 9:35 AM, Gauthier said:

Known issue with a request to honor custom colors (i.e. not over ride what the user has selected) currently unsure of when this will be changed.

On 9/4/2017 at 11:04 AM, csihilling said:

Yeah, my experience is that anytime you change the background color EN will change the text color to its default.  Changed text colors don't survive a background color change.  Reported in the beta feedback threads but no action was taken. 

Known issue with a request to honor custom colors (i.e. not over ride what the user has selected) currently unsure of when this will be changed.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
15 hours ago, Mason Chumpia said:

Sure. How would I do that?

Export the note to a enex file, then PM it to Jason. Or post it here if there is nothing you care about anyone seeing. I've done both in the past. On my Mac right now, but think it is File|Export note on Windows.

Got only now to 6.6.4 version.I love your work, but not the  new version. I'll tell you why.
Shortly:
you replaced the "Notebook panel" with a context menu, both for reading and organizing Notes. It's a good  option, but it should not be compulsory at all. I'll tell you why, even if a glance at this screenshot should be enough to get it...
Cattura.JPG.c568bb18fe53a3ce221b0c45eec2706b.JPG

Too much scroll and click
It was so good to have a layout of my notes.... when jumping between 2 or 3 stacks just few clicks were sufficient.
Let's suppose you are jumping between stack A,B, and C, in your ordinary work-day. 
I have a lot of notebooks, so that they are not contained in the single view of the context menu. I need to scroll... yeah, that's the point. To scroll. Because the context menu does not keep your last scrolling position, just like a fixed menu. You have to scroll again and again, if your current notebook is  not named  "AAA" or "_View the World"

Before:
  1. click on A. Is it the right one? No.
  2. click on B. Is it the right one? No
  3. click on C. Is it the right one? Finally yes.
Total time: 5 seconds

Now:
  1. click on menu. Scroll down to A. click on A. Is it the right one? No.
  2. click on menu. Scroll down again o B. click on B. Is it the right one? No
  3. click on menu. Scroll down again o C click on C. Is it the right one? Finally yes.
Add the chance that the stacks are not named A, B, C but have different names, maybe similar: if you have a fixed menu, you just click on the following stack. If you have a contextual menu, you have to remember which was the last stack of notes you clicked onto.
But... shouldn't Evernote be meant to help with helping memory? ;-)

If you feel you like a more articulated justification, please read the following; otherwise feel free to stop here.

- Visual Memory:
Some of us have a strong visual memory, which is the reason why mind mapping software appears to be very useful. Using visual memory, makes you know where things "are": you have strong physical perception about that. And, actually, one of my dreams, would have been to see Evernote to evolve towards a more visual interface, without loosing its "list view" feature. So you can understand how pain this change induces to me.
Aside from personal tastes, I do think that making  appear and disappear just deprive people from exploiting their visual memory, which can be a little bit frustrating. And it may also appear as a dumb choice.

- "Time to love, time to hate"
Compactess is as good as widness. There is a time for compactness (my smartphone sleeping in my pocket) and a time for wideness (my 24'' screen standing on my  office desktop).
We love your compact app for smartphones, but I guess that many people, using Evernote for productivity, can safely afford to use 300 pixels of their wide-screen monitors for seeing  all their work at a glance.
Preventing them to do that, is like compelling a Lamborghini to run at 50mph on the highway. "Why are you doing that to me"? The feeling is that of injustice.

- Brainstorming
I personally think that Evernote WAS excellent for brainstorming: just write down a note, then organize it later. Now moving notes is much more clumsy and hard. You don't really know where notes are, so you don't really know there to put them.
Ok, you can if you are a really organized person and you perfectly remember the Names of your stack and notes. So the question is: shall one be an organized person for using Evernote, or shall Evernote help disorganized people? ;-)

- Evolution vs. Market
A short consideration. The Market (whose ancestor is Capitalism) has its advantages: it pushes stuff to change, to renew, to evolve. Which is good.
However, this continuous call for change sometimes leads the evolution to too much narrow ecosystems. A "mind-gathering software" as Evernote is, should perhaps fly away from that. I would advice Evernote stuff to consider whether something shall be really changed, and question the reason why they are doing that: pursuing fanciness or usability? Are you adding or removing features? Are you giving your users more freedom or more constraints?

- Just think about dust
Yes, I know: you thought you were giving your users "more space". But "more space" does not necessary means "more freedom". 
I understood that when I started living alone in a huge house: tiding and cleaning was very hard. Sometimes would like to live in a smaller flat...dust is merciless.

I will save this note, I don't know where. In the default stack, of course, Information Technology always has an answer.  I could find it if I used proper tags, yes. But the truth is that yesterday I was a happier man than today I am ?
Now I have to think more about what I do. And so Evernote has lost a little bit of its functionalities.

I sincerely hope that you are restoring the fixed menu back. 

Thanks for your continuous job in improving Evernote.

Mike

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, capitanevs said:
Got only now to 6.6.4 version.I love your work, but not the  new version. I'll tell you why.
Shortly:
you replaced the "Notebook panel" with a context menu, both for reading and organizing Notes. It's a good  option, but it should not be compulsory at all. I'll tell you why, even if a glance at this screenshot should be enough to get it...
Cattura.JPG.c568bb18fe53a3ce221b0c45eec2706b.JPG

Too much scroll and click
It was so good to have a layout of my notes.... when jumping between 2 or 3 stacks just few clicks were sufficient.
Let's suppose you are jumping between stack A,B, and C, in your ordinary work-day. 
I have a lot of notebooks, so that they are not contained in the single view of the context menu. I need to scroll... yeah, that's the point. To scroll. Because the context menu does not keep your last scrolling position, just like a fixed menu. You have to scroll again and again, if your current notebook is  not named  "AAA" or "_View the World"

Before:
  1. click on A. Is it the right one? No.
  2. click on B. Is it the right one? No
  3. click on C. Is it the right one? Finally yes.
Total time: 5 seconds

Now:
  1. click on menu. Scroll down to A. click on A. Is it the right one? No.
  2. click on menu. Scroll down again o B. click on B. Is it the right one? No
  3. click on menu. Scroll down again o C click on C. Is it the right one? Finally yes.
Add the chance that the stacks are not named A, B, C but have different names, maybe similar: if you have a fixed menu, you just click on the following stack. If you have a contextual menu, you have to remember which was the last stack of notes you clicked onto.
But... shouldn't Evernote be meant to help with helping memory? ;-)

If you feel you like a more articulated justification, please read the following; otherwise feel free to stop here.

- Visual Memory:
Some of us have a strong visual memory, which is the reason why mind mapping software appears to be very useful. Using visual memory, makes you know where things "are": you have strong physical perception about that. And, actually, one of my dreams, would have been to see Evernote to evolve towards a more visual interface, without loosing its "list view" feature. So you can understand how pain this change induces to me.
Aside from personal tastes, I do think that making  appear and disappear just deprive people from exploiting their visual memory, which can be a little bit frustrating. And it may also appear as a dumb choice.

- "Time to love, time to hate"
Compactess is as good as widness. There is a time for compactness (my smartphone sleeping in my pocket) and a time for wideness (my 24'' screen standing on my  office desktop).
We love your compact app for smartphones, but I guess that many people, using Evernote for productivity, can safely afford to use 300 pixels of their wide-screen monitors for seeing  all their work at a glance.
Preventing them to do that, is like compelling a Lamborghini to run at 50mph on the highway. "Why are you doing that to me"? The feeling is that of injustice.

- Brainstorming
I personally think that Evernote WAS excellent for brainstorming: just write down a note, then organize it later. Now moving notes is much more clumsy and hard. You don't really know where notes are, so you don't really know there to put them.
Ok, you can if you are a really organized person and you perfectly remember the Names of your stack and notes. So the question is: shall one be an organized person for using Evernote, or shall Evernote help disorganized people? ;-)

- Evolution vs. Market
A short consideration. The Market (whose ancestor is Capitalism) has its advantages: it pushes stuff to change, to renew, to evolve. Which is good.
However, this continuous call for change sometimes leads the evolution to too much narrow ecosystems. A "mind-gathering software" as Evernote is, should perhaps fly away from that. I would advice Evernote stuff to consider whether something shall be really changed, and question the reason why they are doing that: pursuing fanciness or usability? Are you adding or removing features? Are you giving your users more freedom or more constraints?

- Just think about dust
Yes, I know: you thought you were giving your users "more space". But "more space" does not necessary means "more freedom". 
I understood that when I started living alone in a huge house: tiding and cleaning was very hard. Sometimes would like to live in a smaller flat...dust is merciless.

I will save this note, I don't know where. In the default stack, of course, Information Technology always has an answer.  I could find it if I used proper tags, yes. But the truth is that yesterday I was a happier man than today I am ?
Now I have to think more about what I do. And so Evernote has lost a little bit of its functionalities.

I sincerely hope that you are restoring the fixed menu back. 

Thanks for your continuous job in improving Evernote.

Mike

Are you talking about the left panel? Try View and Left Panel, or hit F10 on the keyboard.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
19 hours ago, gustavgi said:

Are you talking about the left panel? Try View and Left Panel, or hit F10 on the keyboard.

Aside from this, even with the left panel closed, the various combo boxes presented can be used without needing to scroll endlessly: you can type in the edit control, and it will match what you've typed with available notebooks / tags / etc. (the match is anywhere in the name, not just at the beginning). The Notebooks combo has a Recent notebook list, as well. 

15 hours ago, jefito said:

Aside from this, even with the left panel closed, the various combo boxes presented can be used without needing to scroll endlessly: you can type in the edit control, and it will match what you've typed with available notebooks / tags / etc. (the match is anywhere in the name, not just at the beginning). The Notebooks combo has a Recent notebook list, as well. 

Ahaha Yes!

<3

I was so dumb, but so happy now.

However, it was  nice writing exercise for me ;-)

• Like 1
On 8/22/2017 at 3:11 AM, SvenSND said:

Hi, thanks for this new version. The tab feature is great :D . I've noticed a bug when trying to highlight some text when a background color is set (cf. picture).

Also when creating a note the focus is not set to the text area, and a click on the note is needed. But it seems this problem is adressed in Evernote 6.7

ScreenClip2332.png

Yes, it highlight removes the background - bug is filled the fix will be in a future

• Ex Employees
4 hours ago, Ben V said:

I'm disappointed this wasn't fixed in the new release. I struggle with this Every. Single. Day.

Hi Ben, our development team is aware of this issue, and are investigating. In the meantime, a possible workaround is after the cut, delete the empty space, move up to the line where you want to paste and get the cursor in front of the checkbox, press enter to move the current line down, use the up arrow to move back up, and then paste. This should keep the double todos/checkboxes from appearing.

On 9/5/2017 at 3:49 PM, Jason Miller said:

So the problem happened with 6.6?  (which had an update to the editor) - could we get copy of a note that is having the problem, so dev can take a look?

<html>
<head>
  <title>Evernote Export</title>
  <basefont face="Segoe UI" size="2" />
  <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=utf-8" />
  <meta name="exporter-version" content="Evernote Windows/305512 (en-US, DDL); Windows/10.0.15063 (Win64);"/>
  <style>
    body, td {
      font-family: Segoe UI;
      font-size: 11pt;
    }
  </style>
</head>
<body>
<a name="11966"/>

<div><span style=";">

<h2>Heading 2</h2>

<ul>
<li>One</li>
<li>Two</li>
<li>Three</li>
</ul>

<h2>Heading 2</h2>

<ul>
<li>One</li>
<li>Two</li>
<li>Three</li>
</ul>

<h2>Heading 2</h2>

<ol>
<li>One</li>
<li>Two</li>
<li>Three</li>
</ol>

<h2>Heading 2</h2>

<ul>
<li>One</li>
<li>Two</li>
<li>Three</li>
</ul>

<h3>Heading 3</h3>

<ul>
<li>One</li>
<li>Two</li>
<li>Three</li>
</ul>

<h4>Heading 4</h4>

<ul>
<li>One</li>
<li>Two</li>
<li>Three</li>
</ul>

<h5>Heading 5</h5>

<ul>
<li>One</li>
<li>Two</li>
<li>Three</li>
</ul>

<h6>Heading 6</h6>

<ul>
<li>One</li>
<li>Two</li>
<li>Three</li>
</ul>
</span>
</div></body></html>

12 hours ago, Mason Chumpia said:

<html>
<head>
  <title>Evernote Export</title>
  <basefont face="Segoe UI" size="2" />
  <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=utf-8" />
  <meta name="exporter-version" content="Evernote Windows/305512 (en-US, DDL); Windows/10.0.15063 (Win64);"/>
  <style>
    body, td {
      font-family: Segoe UI;
      font-size: 11pt;
    }
  </style>
</head>
<body>
<a name="11966"/>

<div><span style=";">

<h2>Heading 2</h2>

<ul>
<li>One</li>
<li>Two</li>
<li>Three</li>
</ul>

<h2>Heading 2</h2>

<ul>
<li>One</li>
<li>Two</li>
<li>Three</li>
</ul>

<h2>Heading 2</h2>

<ol>
<li>One</li>
<li>Two</li>
<li>Three</li>
</ol>

<h2>Heading 2</h2>

<ul>
<li>One</li>
<li>Two</li>
<li>Three</li>
</ul>

<h3>Heading 3</h3>

<ul>
<li>One</li>
<li>Two</li>
<li>Three</li>
</ul>

<h4>Heading 4</h4>

<ul>
<li>One</li>
<li>Two</li>
<li>Three</li>
</ul>

<h5>Heading 5</h5>

<ul>
<li>One</li>
<li>Two</li>
<li>Three</li>
</ul>

<h6>Heading 6</h6>

<ul>
<li>One</li>
<li>Two</li>
<li>Three</li>
</ul>
</span>
</div></body></html>

Exporting the note would be more helpful for Dev - you can right click on the note if the snippet view is shown or if the note is shown just go to the file menu and export - this provides the ENML - the markup language used by Evernote to represent the content of notes. Because ENML is a superset of XHTML, it's easy to present rich content in Evernote notes.

10 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

Exporting the note would be more helpful for Dev - you can right click on the note if the snippet view is shown or if the note is shown just go to the file menu and export - this provides the ENML - the markup language used by Evernote to represent the content of notes. Because ENML is a superset of XHTML, it's easy to present rich content in Evernote notes.

Hopefully this works!

Header and list test.enex

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, sallly struthers said:

Just adding my $.02 that the note margins added for the table UI is a horrible change to accommodate a single feature.

Please don't paste the same post into multiple topics. It really avails nothing in the forums. 

• Level 5*
On 9/15/2019 at 2:12 AM, miller.wp@gmail.com said:

I foolishly updated to the Beta version of Evernote. Now I cannot do the most important operation which is to clip an article, e.g. a food recipe, by clicking the little green Elephant as it does not appear on my browser (Chrome) anymore

Try the Brave browser, it uses Chrome as a base.  Clipping works well for me in Brave.  And it i faster.

• Level 5*
On 9/15/2019 at 12:12 AM, miller.wp@gmail.com said:

I foolishly updated to the Beta version of Evernote. Now I cannot do the most important operation which is to clip an article, e.g. a food recipe, by clicking the little green Elephant as it does not appear on my browser (Chrome) anymore

The Chrome clipper is independent of the installed evernote client. Just go to the google extension store and re-install it. Not sure why it got uninstalled. The clipper actually pushes content directly to the Evernote service, not your local client. Your client sync's it down.

• Like 1