thisistimm

Markup PDF and note simultaneously

Idea

I would like to be able to annotate/markup a pdf (or pic, too) in a note AND edit the note simultaneously. Example: I'm annotating pdf in the Evernote pdf tool, yet when I click back on the note to type something there *while* editing the pdf I lose the pdf being open, so I have to reopen, find my place, continue reading/annotating.  

Currently, the 2 workarounds I've found, which are quite time consuming:

A. New Pdf

(1) open PDF on computer, (2) edit with computers PDF editor, (3) save markups/highlights/notes/etc as a new PDF on desktop, (4) add edited PDF to note, (5) delete original PDF from note, (6) delete PDF from desktop... phew!

B. useWord MS 

(1) open PDF in Evernote editor, (2) open a blank word doc, (3) edit PDF in Evernote, take notes on word doc, (4) save PDF changes, (5) cut & past word doc text to note, (6) spend next 30min reformatting all outlines and bullets that "blow up" cutting & pasting from MSWord into Evernote... phew!!

Please add this feature? 8-) 

Love Evernote-- love the team behind it. Thanks for all your hard work! What you do is helping me better organize and complete my PhD research... thank you!!!

• Like 1

6 replies to this idea

The feature (or lack thereof) is the number one reason why I still use other note-taking applications and PDF editors while trying desperately to have everything in Evernote.

It is also the number one controversy in my attempts to have OneNote users switch to Evernote.

Presently I am a Student and 90% of the material I review for class, or research for a paper or presentation, is in PDF. I have tried desperately to use Evernote alone, but the cumbersome method to annotate and review a PDF makes it almost useless. I typically annotate in other notes and use Apple's Share Sheet, or email, just to have a  backup in Evernote in my school folder.

Please look at the pdf markup tools in Adobe Reader and the "embedded" pdf functionality of OneNote.

OneNote... [sigh].  Besides being MS, it is their lack of a more effective webclipper [translation = Evernote's FANTASTIC web clipper] that keeps me from it.  I've tested others, Evernote is still the best, though admittedly there's a learning curve and level of customization each user must endeavor to make.  Its kinda like iOS or Android [no iOS/Android wars, please]: iOS works the first time the way one hopes [generally], Android lets you get under-the-hood and change anything [generally].  I like that Evernote lets me under the hood to customize and organize most things of my life, but it takes a while to get there.  If someoone is just looking to type text and pile up virtual post-its and pages, there are less complex systems, though I'd still encourage a low-level use of Evernote (for the sake of expandablility).

I feel the pain, macneilpi: but I cannot depart from my first love.  It seems that opening a .pdf in Preview to edit has become more stable in recent updates, which is helpful.  However, I think I like Evernote's .pdf editing tools better than Adobe... or at least the UX seems more favorable.  Evernote's "preview" of edits is a handy shortcut when I need that one quote that I marked, rather than opening the .pdf and hunting it down.

• Thanks 1

On 11/27/2017 at 3:29 AM, thisistimm said:

I feel the pain, macneilpi: but I cannot depart from my first love.  It seems that opening a .pdf in Preview to edit has become more stable in recent updates, which is helpful.  However, I think I like Evernote's .pdf editing tools better than Adobe... or at least the UX seems more favorable.  Evernote's "preview" of edits is a handy shortcut when I need that one quote that I marked, rather than opening the .pdf and hunting it down.

Oh my first love is Evernote, but I cannot review and highlight PDFs with the same accuracy as I can with Adobe. Typically, I have to copy or save the PDF in Adobe, and then uploaded or return my edited copy to EN – Cumbersome and not desirable. 

As for Onenote (sigh) I do appreciate the ability to annotate the in-line PDF much easier than the open/annotate in Skitch function in EN. And the editing features in EN are silly.

There should be serious consideration of developing LiquidText features! That would be a huge step forward for EN.

7 minutes ago, macneilpi said:

Oh my first love is Evernote, but I cannot review and highlight PDFs with the same accuracy as I can with Adobe.

For the most flexibility, I use the Notability app on my iPad.  This means I am converting the format from pdf, then back again

3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I use the Notability app on my iPad

I noted (pun intended) that you mention this in several conversations as your workaround to the EN lack of PDF annotation/viewing features. As such, I conclude I must give it a try with my next iPad. My iPad Air has suffered catastrophic damage just recent. I'm down to my MacBook and iPhone 6S Plus.

2 hours ago, macneilpi said:

As such, I conclude I must give it a try with my next iPad.

I recommend the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil if you have the funds

GoodNotes is also a useful app.  It has an OCR feature