Evernote for Mac 6.12 Beta 2 Released

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Today we're releasing version 6.12 Beta 2 - you cadownload it here. This release fixes key bugs in the editor experience and re-enables move note functionality across accounts. It also introduces our image gallery mode to Mac.

New image gallery

Double-click on an image to enter the gallery mode, which allows you to quickly browse all the images in your note!

Fixed in Beta 2 build

• Inserting Google Drive docs in notes is now possible
  • Moving note across accounts now works 
  • Resolved issue that caused some notes to render blank in Beta 2
  • Resolved several issues that were causing some previously pasted-in content to render poorly
  • Improvements to loading performance for very long notes
  • Resolved issue that caused column widths to change upon multi-column drag-and-drop 
  • Various other bug fixes

As always, we're looking to the Beta community to help us uncover bugs - please let us know if you spot any issues in your existing workflows and let us know if you're able to take advantage of the new feature improvements. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Mac and the Editor team! 

--------------------

Full release notes for version 6.12: 

Evernote for Mac 6.12 Release Notes

Major improvements to tables!

Some highlights of what you can do with tables now:

• Add more rows and columns with a single click: Point to where you want a new column and click the plus button that appears.
  • Choose the entire column or row just by clicking the header.
  • Drag and drop entire rows & columns.
  • Copy and paste multiple cells: Select the cells you want to move, copy them, move cursor to a new spot and paste all the cells with one click.
  • Adjust the width of one column without affecting the width of the column next to it.
  • Scroll horizontally to view a table with many columns without expanding your window.
  • Hover within a cell to activate advanced table options. 
    • You can distribute columns evenly
    • Match the table width to the width of your window
    • Change the alignment of items within cells
    • Add and change background colorsQuickly add rows and columns – via the plus button

New image gallery!

Double-click on an image to enter the gallery mode, which allows you to quickly browse all the images in your note!

Better multi-tasking 

Keep your Evernote content organized using tabs. Create a new tab by selecting the 'New Tab' option under the File menu. 
Pick up from where you left off - if you exit the app and re-open it, you'll return to your previously opened windows / state.

Separation of Business and Personal

No longer intermingle your business and personal content in your Evernote experience but still multi-task when you need to. Improving on 6.11 Beta 1 & 2, we've added support for having business and personal notes open side-by-side. 

Known issue: you cannot move notes between personal & business. 

Bug fixes

A number of user reported bugs are now fixed in this release:

• Evernote does not update business tags list after the sync
  • Pasting a large amount of text into a note fails with no error message
  • An intermittent crash on account switching
  • Images in some notes created by clipper were not displayed in the note  
  • Pasting content before a horizontal rule was sometimes resulting in the deletion of content below the horizontal rule

56 replies to this idea

losing html tag information when pasting, eg, 

<div style='margin:1px 0px; color:rgb(255, 255, 255); background-color:#8BAAD0; border-top-left-radius:5px; border-top-right-radius:5px; border-bottom-right-radius:5px; border-bottom-left-radius:5px; font-size:21px; font-weight:bold; text-align:center; padding:5px'>blabla</div>

parsed as <div><span style='only part of the original style got pasted'>blabla</span></div>

I realise table doesn't automatically resize while switching between the screens of different sizes. i.e. when working on a table in larger screen, when switching to a smaller screen, the table doesn't resize automatically. You end up with scroll bars on the smaller screen, having to scroll left/right to view the full contents of the table.

Is this by design the correct behaviour?

Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 10.44.39.png

i ask again - who actually wants the separation of Personal and Business notes? i just don't understand why these need to be separated. and in fact, they are still linked because when i forward emails to EN, it goes to my personal account and i have to move all of those to the Business account. the MOVE NOTE function is way slower now that i have to actually click on my business notes (bottom left of move dialogue), so i can't just quickly use the keyboard shortcuts. 

if it HAS to be like this, is it possible to have 2 "main views" open at the same time? one with personal and another with business?  then i can at least have the note lists side by side and move things?

i also echo the problem of Tabs disappearing when switching between the 2 accounts.

this separation of Personal and Business is really slowing down my workflow. i see that you have different Default Notebooks in Preferences, depending on which account you're in - this helps a bit with scanning files directly to Business. but you have to make Personal and Business truly separate for this to work. again, they are still linked at some levels. 

19 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

Thanks for the info, failing new bugs

Following on from my previous formatting issues - 

- Copying and pasting text into a paragraph of text also takes the cursor to the end of the paragraph after paste. Argh. 

Seems like your processes have broken down somewhere along the line. Please can the development team keep a checklist of previous issues - and test them so they don't creep back in whenever there's a new beta released?

11 hours ago, kestorr said:

I realise table doesn't automatically resize while switching between the screens of different sizes. i.e. when working on a table in larger screen, when switching to a smaller screen, the table doesn't resize automatically. You end up with scroll bars on the smaller screen, having to scroll left/right to view the full contents of the table.

Is this by design the correct behaviour?

Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 10.44.39.png

By design - there is a feature request to change it at some point in the future

18 hours ago, Jerry Tom said:

losing html tag information when pasting, eg, 

<div style='margin:1px 0px; color:rgb(255, 255, 255); background-color:#8BAAD0; border-top-left-radius:5px; border-top-right-radius:5px; border-bottom-right-radius:5px; border-bottom-left-radius:5px; font-size:21px; font-weight:bold; text-align:center; padding:5px'>blabla</div>

parsed as <div><span style='only part of the original style got pasted'>blabla</span></div>

I'm not able to recreate the problem coping that info above (i.e it all paste fine for me) - where are you copying this from?  (maybe the clipboard is picking extra characters that are breaking our paste code)

12 hours ago, Goston said:

When you print a note, table will disappear in 6.12 Beta 2.

螢幕快照 2017-08-03 09.31.03.png

There is a known bug about background color being dropped - but not the table, and I am unable to recreate.  If you change the option from Adobe PDF 9.0 to your printer or something else, do the tables still disappear?  

OK, STOKED about the fact that we can select and format cell colors, widths, etc. Tables are behaving a LOT more like tables in EN. 

THANK YOU.

ISSUES:

I'm ok with some cell padding, but I must agree with @JMichaelTX on this one: .05 padding would really help, for two reasons:

1. less than .05 and the look is cluttered = my brain doesn't want to look at this.

2. more than .05 and using it on smaller screens results in a ton of scrolling and wasted screen tapping/mousing.

With cells, we generally expect to be able to sort columns at a minimum and freeze rows/columns at a demanding maximum. When can we expect to be able to sort the data we're storing here?

Is there any hope at all that formulas will ever be added in so we can really manipulate data without having to leave a note/EN?

Macbook Pro, ElCap, Beta 6.12

I am having similar formatting issues with text copied from Evernote to another program. I keep getting the following:

• instead of a bullet point (achieved by pressing the OPTION key & 8

for some spaces but not all?!

See screenshot below.5985a81be526d_Screenshot2017-08-0521_12_11.thumb.png.8cbdadf148bba9eeee34c1f65bf409f0.png

Hey Guys,

Our product team is excited to offer you the chance to get early access to our improved Evernote Business product with features such as business only accounts and try it free for 30 days!

In addition to the early access, our team will work with you 1:1 to set up your business account with a few users. We will also want to learn more about your motivations for getting Evernote Business, feedback on the onboarding process, UX, etc. We will check in with you once a week during the trial period to see how things are going and talk through what's working and not working. Along with the benefit of working directly with the team, we'll help set up your organization structure and prioritize any bugs that your team runs into. 

The details:

• To qualify for the trial, you’ll need two users or more to add to your trial Evernote Business account
  • During the 30-day trial, we’ll ask you to set aside approximately an hour for initial setup with our team, and weekly 15-30 minute follow-up calls
  • We’ll create a new business account during the 30-day trial that is separate from any of your existing Evernote accounts. We will deactivate the trial business account at the end of the trial. This WILL NOT affect any of your existing active Evernote accounts

Is this something you would be interested in? If yes, please send me a direct message by clicking on my forum profile with your full name, email and where your team is located so that we can coordinate with you on next steps. The early access program will start the week of August 14.

The team is looking forward to working with you!

P.S: Let us know if you are based in the Bay Area, California. We can meet with your team in-person as well. 

--
Praveen Kannan
Product Manager, Evernote Business

On 7/30/2017 at 7:13 AM, HerbyDE said:

Missing link to database folder: About Evernote with option key = no link ...

This has been moved to the Help menu for consistency. Hold OPTION on your keyboard and click on Help. Next, go to Troubleshooting > Open Database folder

7 minutes ago, Metrodon said:

Is it just me that can't change a cell background back to white if I've changed it from white to another colour first?

Odd, toggling colors should until you are tired of switching - what OS are you on (in case it is a factor) and which color are you switching too before trying to return to white?

9 hours ago, st8dtamazone said:

Hi there

I believe Simplify Formatting doesn't work anymore.

Using the tables and so far quite love them. I could really use sorting by columns though.

There are some issues with simplify formatting - Dev is working on it

A sorting option would be great, however the current implementation is pure tables with no data options, such as sorting, formulas etc.  

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

Odd, toggling colors should until you are tired of switching - what OS are you on (in case it is a factor) and which color are you switching too before trying to return to white?

White to the lightest grey and then back to white. Can't get back to white.

I don't know if this is a bug or not, but Evernote no longer updates attachments if I save the document while Evernote is closed. I'm pretty sure it didn't work that way before. Correct me if I'm wrong. So, for example: 

1. Open Evernote and find a docx. file 

2. Open the docx. file

3. Close Evernote (because I don't like apps just hanging around without being used)

4. Edit and save the docx. file 

5. Later, everything that I did is gone. Poof!

It's not even retrievable through the Library/Application Support/com.evernote directory because for some reason the edited versions (that I certainly saved) are discarded. 

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, JWChang said:

3. Close Evernote (because I don't like apps just hanging around without being used)

Closing the Evernote app seems a bad move.  
I can think of a "use", monitoring and import/sync after the attachment has been updated

Did you get a warning when closing Evernote, something about an attached file  being open?

>>5. Later, everything that I did is gone. Poof!
it's not even retrievable through the Library/Application Support/com.evernote directory because for some reason the edited versions (that I certainly saved) are discarded. 

Editing attachments is executed in the external-edits subfolder of your database
You could check there for your updated documents

I'm seeing new behavior in 6.12 Beta 2: when creating a new note, the cursor no longer starts in the subject line. I have to click either in the subject or the body to start typing. Either creating a note from the menu or from the hotkey. Running Sierra 10.12.5. It's not just me, right? :-) 

Mac OS High Sierra 10.13 Beta (17A330h) (most recent).

Evernote (6.12 Beta 2) is currently the newest version available.

Experiencing Crash / Error Report and restart every time I try to change views from Card View (which I do not like and chose only to see if it had changed in the Beta back to Snippit View. I have tried deleting and reinstalling without success. Any suggestions to get back to my Snippit View would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You So Very Much

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, JWChang said:

I don't know if this is a bug or not, but Evernote no longer updates attachments if I save the document while Evernote is closed. I'm pretty sure it didn't work that way before. Correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT:  I stand corrected.  I just ran a test on Evernote 6.9.2 (454158) on macOS 10.11.6:

1. Opened a MS Word attachment from an EN Note
  2. Quit EN Mac
  3. Got warning, but chose "Quit Anyway".
  4. EN Mac quit
  5. Saved changed to Word doc, and quit Word
  6. Opened EN Mac
  7. The Note was at the top of the list, and it had picked up the changed Word document.
  8. I am amazed!

2017-08-12_09-42-21.png

Business card bug - In "Add Notes" section

I use Scannable to load my Business Cards and then when trying to add notes, if you wait for a few seconds the cursor jumps back to the start of the note, and sometimes this also occurs when entering a "space".

On 8/16/2017 at 0:20 AM, Donald Pudney said:

Business card bug - In "Add Notes" section

I use Scannable to load my Business Cards and then when trying to add notes, if you wait for a few seconds the cursor jumps back to the start of the note, and sometimes this also occurs when entering a "space".

Thanks for reporting this. I can also reproduce it and filed a ticket with our engineers to investigate. 

On 8/12/2017 at 6:47 AM, GCookeMD said:

Mac OS High Sierra 10.13 Beta (17A330h) (most recent).

Evernote (6.12 Beta 2) is currently the newest version available.

Experiencing Crash / Error Report and restart every time I try to change views from Card View (which I do not like and chose only to see if it had changed in the Beta back to Snippit View. I have tried deleting and reinstalling without success. Any suggestions to get back to my Snippit View would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You So Very Much

Thank you for your report. This crash should be fixed in 6.12 Beta 3 coming out soon. If for some reason you continue to see the crash in the next beta please let me know. 

We use evernote in multiple business that are all owned or part owned by the same public company. We outsource services to them.

I have just noticed that all the common notebooks we share between all the businesses have been shared at a personal invitation level. 

This means that all my business notebooks (i.e. compliance, HR, Legal, ad nauseam) we share are now classified as personal notes. We are going to spend our days switching back and forward between personal and business and trying to remember which notebook refers to a shared business function and which is in-house..(there are hundreds)  Please tell me you have thought of this.. On the beta I can't just type in the name of a notebook and find it unless I am in the right account..

For Example: HR Policies, HR Draft Contracts, HR Review Dates are now in private........HR Reviews and HR Signed Contracts are in business...

15 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

You should never use an actual SPACE character for padding.  This should be set in the CSS. 

Please make sure the behavior when clicking in a cell is to put the cursor in the text of the cell where the click was made.  Of course, if there is no text, it would be at the left-most, top-most position.

Also, if you TAB into a cell, I think it should select the contents of the cell, much like tabbing into a Text Box or Text Area on a form.  This is how Word 2011 works.

It looks like a space, but is cell padding 

As for Tab it is selecting text for me - are you seeing some different. 

• Level 5*
On 2017-07-25 at 오후 4시 4분, Chantal Leonard said:

Today we're releasing version 6.12 Beta 2

Fixed: No longer aborts with AppleScript 

correction:  Just aborted on 
     Error Number: -609
     Evernote got an error: Connection is invalid.

The error seems to be on the export statement

Downgrading to v6.11 again

11 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Separation of Business and Personal

No longer intermingle your business and personal content in your Evernote experience but still multi-task when you need to. Improving on 6.11 Beta 1 & 2, we've added support for having business and personal notes open side-by-side. 

I'm curious to see this is action. How exactly can I test it?

• Level 5*

Image gallery works nicely. Not sure that I'll ever use it though.

Tables - my expectation is that when I click in a cell, the cursor will be placed at the far left hand side. Currently (and in the last beta), it's one space in.

3 hours ago, Metrodon said:

Image gallery works nicely. Not sure that I'll ever use it though.

Tables - my expectation is that when I click in a cell, the cursor will be placed at the far left hand side. Currently (and in the last beta), it's one space in.

Technically it is on the far left side, the new tables just have extra padding, which might make it a bit confusing. 

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

Technically it is on the far left side, the new tables just have extra padding, which might make it a bit confusing. 

So how come I can cursor left one space?

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, gatekeeper said:

I'm curious to see this is action. How exactly can I test it?

You should see it if you have a business account.

Still lots of problems with the separation of personal and business.

1. Switching looses all the open tabs, i.e. when I go to business and then return to personal all my tabs other than the first one are closed.

2. The window position isn't retained - especially when I use this in fullscreen mode, switching always ends the fullscreen mode.

I still think that this design decision is a great mistake, which will force me to revert my business account back to pro and work with shared notebooks. The benefits of the business edition are not worth the hassle for a small team like mine. 

What I need:

1. Seamless switching between personal and business account - no window repositioning, no leaving fullscreen mode.

2. Having the ability to have 2 Evernote windows side by side - one being personal and one being business. Not only one note but full Evernote windows with sidebar etc.

3. Drag and drop ability between those windows.

4. A search that searches all of my personal and my business notes.

Not sure how many customers who use Evernote Business and are not Beta tester are thinking like me. I still hope you rethink that design decision but am not keeping my hopes up.  

switching closes all tabs. closing and reopening evernote closes all tabs. no restoring anything.

the "image browser" I find useless.

I agree 100% with Palladion about the conceptual problems of separating business and personal the way it is now implemented. The things he asks for are what would make Evernote useable.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

You should never use an actual SPACE character for padding.  This should be set in the CSS. 

Please make sure the behavior when clicking in a cell is to put the cursor in the text of the cell where the click was made.  Of course, if there is no text, it would be at the left-most, top-most position.

Also, if you TAB into a cell, I think it should select the contents of the cell, much like tabbing into a Text Box or Text Area on a form.  This is how Word 2011 works.

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, DTLow said:

Fixed: No longer aborts with AppleScript 

correction:  Just aborted on 
     Error Number: -609
     Evernote got an error: Connection is invalid.

@Evernote:  Please Fix AppleScript Support

@Chantal Leonard, @Jason Miller, @Johnathan Hebert

Please make sure AppleScript support is 100% working before you release the next production (GA) version of EN Mac.
I have many workflows I use many times a day that depend on EN Mac AppleScript.

Thanks.

I upgraded to 6.12 a few days ago, and as of tonight am now on 6.12 Beta 2. (I'm running Sierra 10.12.4 on a MacBook Pro.)

I'm having problems with full text search after this update--I can locate notes manually in individual notebooks, but I'm unable to pull them up by searching for text in the note title or note body.  Searching for the same phrase pulls up the notes fine in the iOS app and in the Web version.  I've selected "Recreate Full Text Search Index" from the updated Help tools but it doesn't seem to solve the problem. (As an aside: I don't know how long that process is supposed to take, and searches in this forum on that tool don't provide illumination on that process. Is it a ten-minute process? An hour? 24 hours? Do I need to leave the computer on overnight? Do I need to adjust the power management settings so it doesn't go to sleep? Will Activity Monitor give me a sense as to when it is done? How long should I wait before trying it anew? Does trying it anew start the process over from scratch?) I don't know if it's just a botched installation or if its a bug in 6.12--I posted a version of this in the Mac forum but people encouraged me to cross-post to here.

At this point I'm considering the old "back up the database build then delete the app, reinstall, and restore," but I really only like to do that as a measure of last resort. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

3 hours ago, nicolml said:

This has been moved to the Help menu for consistency. Hold OPTION on your keyboard and click on Help. Next, go to Troubleshooting > Open Database folder

Ah! Found it! Thank you! :)

• Level 5*
55 minutes ago, Metrodon said:

How about getting rid of the padding because it's horrible and pointless and annoying and I can't believe a single user asked for it?

No one did. it is a side effect of the new table formats, and it is infecting every platform. Hate it. I'd rather have teh boring old tables than the new flashy ones with padding, but I know some people love the new table feature. I like it, but not at this cost.

• Level 5*

Generally I think tables are improved. Some strange design choices though, the padding is awful and horizontal scrolling looks and behaves very strangely.

• Level 5*
On 7/27/2017 at 5:17 PM, Metrodon said:

How about getting rid of the padding because it's horrible and pointless and annoying

I haven't tested this BETA, so it may be "horrible".  But are you sure you really want NO padding?  With no padding the text will run right against the cell borders, which I do not think is very readable or pleasing.  We need some padding, but not too much.  Perhaps it should be a setting in EN Mac Preferences.

There is some small padding in EN Mac 6.9.2.  I just tested it.  Here's a screenshot:

2017-07-29_17-12-25.png.dc2c02ed721550a9b6cb5b9955341af2.png

Word 2011 Screenshot

2017-07-29_17-41-17.png.3cf35f7694c73f79298267daa26912f4.png

I for one do not like zero cell padding.

@Jason Miller (Evernote), please provide for a small amount of padding (like 0.05"), or a setting in EN Mac Preferences.

• Level 5*

I'm quite happy to go right to the borders. If I want to leave space, I'll add one.

There's about as much chance of this being a user option as there is of a linux client being released....

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Metrodon said:

I'm quite happy to go right to the borders.

I honestly think you are in the minority here.  I can't recall seeing any web site that shows table borders and the cell padding is zero.

Evidently the Evernote designers think the same thing, since EN Mac table cell padding has been non-zero since the beginning.

Hello 

I justed have installed the beta new version. And I work with -tag:* when I search.  I have everytime an error. Can you fix that today or help me to go back to

the older version? I's very important otherwise I cant' work anymore. I have evrything on evernote. Thanks.

Best, Ralf

• Level 5*
On 7/27/2017 at 9:24 AM, Jason Miller said:

As for Tab it is selecting text for me - are you seeing some different. 

That is good if it does.  In both Ver 6.9.2 and 6.11.1 a TAB does NOT select the content of the next cell.  It simply positions the cursor at the start of the cell.
Running. macOS 10.11.6.

I have noticed a couple of irritating formating issues - 

- Typing some auto text like emojis and any TextExpander expansions (with a space afterwards it seems), takes the cursor to the end of the paragraph. Very annoying as it interrupts the flow of note taking. 

- Copying text out of Evernote into Word/TextEdit, all the apostrophes are replaced with garbled text. Also very annoying when I have to do a manual S&R. I am sure this worked correctly before. 

On 7/29/2017 at 5:42 PM, JMichaelTX said:

I haven't tested this BETA, so it may be "horrible".  But are you sure you really want NO padding?  With no padding the text will run right against the cell borders, which I do not think is very readable or pleasing.  We need some padding, but not too much.  Perhaps it should be a setting in EN Mac Preferences.

There is some small padding in EN Mac 6.9.2.  I just tested it.  Here's a screenshot:

2017-07-29_17-12-25.png.dc2c02ed721550a9b6cb5b9955341af2.png

Word 2011 Screenshot

2017-07-29_17-41-17.png.3cf35f7694c73f79298267daa26912f4.png

I for one do not like zero cell padding.

@Jason Miller (Evernote), please provide for a small amount of padding (like 0.05"), or a setting in EN Mac Preferences.

I understand the request (and desire) unfortunately I don't have control over the padding - I will share with the powers that be

6 hours ago, sail said:

I have noticed a couple of irritating formating issues - 

- Typing some auto text like emojis and any TextExpander expansions (with a space afterwards it seems), takes the cursor to the end of the paragraph. Very annoying as it interrupts the flow of note taking. 

- Copying text out of Evernote into Word/TextEdit, all the apostrophes are replaced with garbled text. Also very annoying when I have to do a manual S&R. I am sure this worked correctly before. 

Thanks for the info, failing new bugs

Archived