New account, spam already received

Gump

I just set up Evernote recently for evaluation.   In doing so, from my place of work, I tried sending two annotations via email, which worked -- but I didn't like how this feature works, lacks some granularity (for me).  I've since left it alone.

Imagine my surprise when I come in to work today with two emails from Evernote indicating that they couldn't append notes to my Evernote account, and they were obviously spam.  Yes, I reset my email address.  But my primary question is how is this information being obtained externally?   I haven't released the former address or posted it anywhere.  This makes me wonder if bots are scraping Evernote for information - if that's the case, there's a larger problem.

Anyone else have an issue with this?

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Gump said:

This makes me wonder if bots are scraping Evernote for information

I know there are bots scraping for information.  

I trust that Evernote has firewalls in place but I’m vulnerable in many other areas.  My junk mail filter is full of spam

If you could post redacted copies of the emails it might provide more information for follow up 

I'm surprised at this, simply because I never published the information anywhere -- so I'm concerned that other information may be exposed within Evernote that otherwise should not be.  

• Level 5

Wonder if it could be related to this discussion:

FWIW, I've been on Evernote for several years, and occasionally e-mail items to EN notes, and I've never been spammed as a result.

Also FWIW, there's a help article that has some granularity-improving tips (which you may already have seen): https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005347.

• Level 5*

Likewise been an active user for years and never received anything by email to my Evernote address that I didn't send,  directly or indirectly...  FWIW If you're trialling a basic account there's no long-term feature to accept notes by email,  though there may be an initial 5-email 'trial period' (AFAIK).

Archived