When listing tags from the Left Panel, provide a key (Control +, Control -) to collapse/expand nested tags

TdeV

Idea

I bet En knows exactly how many relatives** a tag has. So we should have a program choice to open/collapse all tags to the first level, then the second level, then the third level. Something like "Control +" or "Control -"

Here is the original discussion with the problems raised:

**Note: Meaning: i.e. who is the parent of the parent of the parent (etc. to the top)

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
40 minutes ago, TdeV said:

I bet En knows exactly how many parents a tag

I bet I do, too. It's exactly one. I'm not sure what that has to do with your request, however. Maybe you meant "children", not "parents"???

In any case, I don't see much utility for this when you have mixed tag hierarchies, i.e., tag hierarchies that are not parallel across the board, as the one in your linked example shows: I'll bet that the second of, say, tag "7. Food" doesn't have any relation to the second level of "Business Categories". For what you seem to be trying to do, standard Cut/Copy/Paste operations would seem to work, and would have more general utility to others.

Hi @jefito. Right. Been corrected.

What I mean is, there's a ► beside the label TAGS on the left panel.

If one clicks on it, one sees all the tags.

What I would like to see is an option to see only the tags whose direct parent is TAGS (first level tag).

Then, or instead, I could select to see the children of first level tags (second level tag). Which would include all tags whose parent is TAGS, with all direct children.

Then, or instead, I could select to see everything up to and including the children of the second level tag (third level tag). Which would include all tags whose parent's parent is TAGS, with all direct children and the children's children.

This should go to 9 levels, with 0 reserved for the top. I wouldn't need more than 4 levels but others might.

Maybe a pick list.

---

The other important item is that one should still be able to open/collapse one tag's children, otherwise one could never move the tags to another location on the tag list.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, TdeV said:

So we should have a program choice to open/collapse all tags to the first level

On my Mac, the app has the option to Expand/Collapse.
Only at the selected tag and the top level

Archived