Organizing tags

TdeV

I don't know how many tags I have, but it must be thousands.
I don't find alphabetical lists of unrelated matter useful; one wastes a lot of time trying to make sense of what a label means out of context.
My (simplified) tag list is is organized:
  • .What -- Active and inactive projects
  • .When-- priority for tasklists
  • .Where
  • _Unresolved
  • 5. Note Categories with sub-tags (for stuff which I don't know how else to classify)
    • A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • E, etc.
  • 6. Business Categories
  • 7. Food
    • 71.Meal Course
    • 72.Cookery Method
    • 73.Cookery Vessel
    • 74.Category (for stuff which I don't know how else to group)
    • About (for encylopedic discussions of food)
    • Batter and Dough-Results of
      • Bread
        • Bread.Fresh
        • Bread.Stale
      • Dough
      • Pancake.Crêpe
      • Phyllo.Fillo.Filo
      • Pie.Tart.Crostata.Clafoutis.Gallette.Wähe
      • Pizza
      • Wrapper.Rice.Paper
    • Beans & Legumes
    • Cheese
  • 8. Plants (which includes horticulture, entomology, garden art and other items)
  • shared tags
I'd like some advice. Possibly next I want a software upgrade.
Note that all of these issuesare about clicking on the TAG heading in the Left Panel on the desktop. I don't ever try and organize my Evernote using a mobile device.
The problem occurs when something has been filed in one large category and needs to be moved to another, for instance I had "MG.Class" filed under "5. Note Categories > M" which needed to be moved to "8. Plants > Master.Gardener". 
In the first place, I need an easier way to re-allocate the tag to a new parent tag, other than dragging it over (across+up) as many tags as are on one screen, moving the screen's focus, and then dragging the tag to the top (across+up) of this next screen, etc. etc.
Here's a concept (from Calibre Companion, an ebook app where you can select ebooks by various criteria) including a switch that says "group by first letters". If this were a switch I could turn on, then I wouldn't need these tags: A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J, . . . And I could subdivide/collapse the tags by the first letter of the alphabet under more than one tag tree.
And here's the best solution for this issue. I bet En knows exactly how many relatives** a tag has. So we should have a program choice to open/collapse all tags to the first level, then the second level, then the third level. Something like "Control +" or "Control -"

Thanks for listening. And don't forget to vote.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/107830-provide-a-switch-to-collapse-tags-by-first-character-of-the-tag-in-lists/

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/107831-when-listing-tags-from-the-left-panel-provide-a-key-control-control-to-collapseexpand-nested-tags/

**Note: Meaning: i.e. who is the parent of the parent of the parent (etc. to the top) 

It was pointed out that I explained myself inadequately, so:

What I mean is, there's a ► beside the label TAGS on the left panel.

If one clicks on it, one sees all the tags.

What I would like to see is an option to see only the tags whose direct parent is TAGS (first level tag).

Then, or instead, I could select to see everything up to and including the first level tags, and the children of first level tags (second level tag). Which would include all tags whose parent is TAGS, with all direct children.

Then, or instead, I could select to see the children of the second level tag (third level tag). Which would include all tags whose parent's parent is TAGS, with all direct children and the children's children.

This should go to 9 levels, with 0 reserved for the top. I wouldn't need more than 4 levels but others might.

Maybe a pick list.

----

The other important item is that one should still be able to open/collapse one tag's children, otherwise one could never move the tags to another location on the tag list.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, TdeV said:

I don't find alphabetical lists of unrelated matter useful; one wastes a lot of time trying to make sense of what a label means out of context.

I include the context in the tagname
For example, instead of tag names    Red, Blue, Green
- I use Colour_Red, Colour_Blue, Colour_Green
So, I have the context, and it sorts well 

You post seems to be related to a single platform; Windows?
I use both a Mac and iPad, so my tag structure has to be workable on both, as well as assorted menus
Thus, I have to allow for an alpha list; there's no hierarchy on the iPad or on some of the Mac lists

>> What I mean is, there's a ► beside the label TAGS on the left panel.

On my Mac, I get the > on any parent tag
Clicking on it shows the child tags

Hi @DTLow. That would make my tag incredibly long!

Also, I don't ever do any tag (or other Evernote) maintenance on my mobile devices; it's way too difficult. I don't know what Evernote looks like on your Mac Desktop, can you open the Left Panel? I'm only talking about reaching TAGS from that place, not any other listing of tags.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, TdeV said:

I don't know what Evernote looks like on your Mac Desktop, can you open the Left Panel? I'm only talking about reaching TAGS from that place, not any other listing of tags.

Mac's have a sidebar taglist.  Limited functionality

When I do tag organization, I use the tag page on my Mac

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, TdeV said:

What I mean is, there's a ► beside the label TAGS on the left panel.

What I would like to see is an option to see only the tags whose direct parent is TAGS (first level tag).

You see all of the top-level tags, at least, and possibly more if you've previously expanded other tag subtrees (subtrees also have a ► control). At least that's how it works on the Windows client. This is in either in the tag list or in the tags pane.

I sorta see what you're driving at, but I don't see the general utility and some potential awkwardness (say, moving a tag subfolder from the 3rd level to the fourth level under some other tag; having four levels totally expanded isn't going to be a great improvement over the current situation), and it might be easier to understand if there were an analogous mechanism for something that we use a lot, like File Explorer. I still think that a cut/copy/paste facility for tags would be more useful.

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

The other important item is that one should still be able to open/collapse one tag's children, otherwise one could never move the tags to another location on the tag lis

You can already do this. By the way, hovering over a tag's ► control will automatically open the subtree for you, and this works when dragging another tag (and its children, if any).

• Level 5*

Don't know if it helps much but if you have the left panel open and and the tag view (Right Click Tags - Show Tags View), you can drag tags in either direction; from the left panel to the tag view and vice versa.

Also, a neat feature found by I forget whom, if you hover over the right caret on Tags you can get your tag count.

Image.png.6cd5e37889cb38d8d54d585a4ed2f969.png

1 hour ago, csihilling said:

Don't know if it helps much but if you have the left panel open and and the tag view (Right Click Tags - Show Tags View), you can drag tags in either direction; from the left panel to the tag view and vice versa.

@csihilling, this helps a great deal! Makes it simpler to move a tag from one location to another.

And I have 1336 tags. :D

Archived