EVERythingNOTE? Keeping everything in Evernote

lamborghini

Hey, I like to have everything in one place. I don't need waste time to think where is what I want. I just type it in Evernote and get results.

I archived all my emails (about 5k) to EN with @DTLow script and help. Thank You, again.
I linked all my local files and Google Drive documents to EN as a reference too.

Now I feel like all is in place. It took me a lot of time but my head is clear now. 

Except music and photos I have almost everything in a single app. And because I'm lazy - currently I'm more likely to write document directly in Evernote than in Google Docs. The reason is that I have one less step to do (no linking). 

I'm not sure if this is good approach. For example I wanted to start a Daily Journal. And here's the question. Should I use dedicated app like Day One (already used it before) which is great, has better app design, fonts looks better, it's easier to write. It's pleasure but then I have to search in two different places.

Example: My finances aren't going as they should. I search for biggest transaction this month. It turns out Louis Vuitton $2,5k+ receipt. Shopping. Why? It wasn't planned.What happened that day, how I felt, why I did it? I don't see it immediately. lol

I can archive Day One note to PDF and then export to EN, as I do with emails. But then I will have same note in 2 apps and more work to do. If I want to edit something, PDF in EN will be outdated.

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, lamborghini said:

For example I wanted to start a Daily Journal. And here's the question. Should I use dedicated app like Day One

I think you’ll always get better features in dedicated apps.  Are they features you need?

I’m a fan of dedicated apps, especially editor apps.  I export back to Evernote; both in native and pdf form

>>I can archive Day One note to PDF and then export to EN, as I do with emails. But then I will have same note in 2 apps and more work to do. If I want to edit something, PDF in EN will be outdated.

If Day One works better for me, I’d use it and try to keep my EN copy updated

Yes, there is a risk of the EN files being outdated but it’s usually not a serious error

Hey Lamborgini, 

I am facing the same 'issue'. Also trying to get everything into Evernote to avoid having to think which platform I used to store a particular piece of information. I also use (and probably many others in this community) Day One as personal Journal. The funny thing is that I noticed your previous topic about consolidating information from 1Password into Evernote as well. Therefore I believe you are already getting the answer to your own question. 

I am considering to import my notes from Day One into Evernote. If i need to isolate the contents from the rest I can also create a "Journal" notebook or anything. Yes. DayOne has a better interface for this usage, but for me the standard capabilities within Evernote are sufficient (and many search options, that come standard in DayOne, can be easily reproduced with some tags, and search capabilities in Evernote). As DayOne is now moving into a subscription based it makes no sense for me to pay for 2 services that have 80% overlap when I look at the way I am using DayOne for..

Perhaps this makes the decision a bit easier :-)

Archived