"Start on windows logon" not working in Windows 10?

Hi,

I've installed Evernote from the Windows App Store on a freshly installed Windows 10 instance. It's all fine except it is not starting on logon despite me having checked "start on windows logon" from the system tray icon options menu (after manually starting Evernote).

Is this a known issue (start on logon not working) and is there a work around?

I'm using Evernote 6.5.4.4720 (304720) Public

Windows 10 Pro, Version 1703, OS Build 15063.483

If I close Evernote the system tray icon remains but it does not appear until I've manually started it.

I can see that the log files do not get written too until I manually start Evernote so it does not appear to be stealthily starting up.

I can't see a startup item in task manager either (if that is what it normally does).

Before I rebuilt my PC I was using the downloaded version and it started up fine. I could go back to that but I'd prefer the Windows App Store version if possible.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Hi.  The Windows App Store version of Evernote is exactly the same as the standard download from Evernote.com,  apart from the fancy Windows wrapper required to put it into the store.  I've not been aware of anyone else posting this problem - would you consider uninstalling the current version and trying the standard code to see if the wrapper is causing the issue?

• Level 5*

I see it in the Startup folder for my account. Press Win+R, type shell:startup at the prompt, then Enter, and that's your startup folder. You should see shortcuts for EvernoteClipper and EvernoteTray. You could also use the Microsoft Autoruns utility to track it down.

19 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  The Windows App Store version of Evernote is exactly the same as the standard download from Evernote.com,  apart from the fancy Windows wrapper required to put it into the store.  I've not been aware of anyone else posting this problem - would you consider uninstalling the current version and trying the standard code to see if the wrapper is causing the issue?

2 hours ago, jefito said:

I see it in the Startup folder for my account. Press Win+R, type shell:startup at the prompt, then Enter, and that's your startup folder. You should see shortcuts for EvernoteClipper and EvernoteTray. You could also use the Microsoft Autoruns utility to track it down.

@gazumped Thanks. I did a test on a Virtual Machine and it does not work on a Windows Store install but does on a downloaded from evernote.com install. On the Windows Store install selecting "Start on Windows logon" did nothing but in the dowloaded version it adds two items to "C:\Users\redacted\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" which are also visible on the "Task Manager" -> "Startup" tab. So I guess it's a bug.

@jefito Thanks, Are you using the Windows store version or a manual install from the evernote.com site? I've found that it does work with a manual install bit not with the Windows store version.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, ChumleyWarner said:

@jefito Thanks, Are you using the Windows store version or a manual install from the evernote.com site? I've found that it does work with a manual install bit not with the Windows store version.

Manual install. I believe that the bits of the executable are supposed to be the same, but there is evidently a difference, at least in that respect. I wonder whether it's a permissions thing?

13 hours ago, jefito said:

Manual install. I believe that the bits of the executable are supposed to be the same, but there is evidently a difference, at least in that respect. I wonder whether it's a permissions thing?

Thanks. I've logged it as a bug with Evernote Support and I'll see if they come back with anything.

For now I could work around it by uninstalling the Windows Store version and manually installing from Evernote.com but I'll wait and see what they come back with. I can wait for a fix if it looks likely. I'd like to avoid re-downloading several gigabytes of data over a laughably slow internet connection if I can avoid it.

Thanks again.

• 1 year later...

I had a Windows 10 Microsoft Store Application installed on my Windows 10 PRo 1803.  Evernote was the Microsoft Store Version. 

The option "Launch Evernote on Windows Login" was not available  in the Microsoft Store version of Windows. 

Solution that worked: 

Uninstall  Evernote , using "Add/Remove Programs", finding Evernote in the list.   

It complained that 3 items could not be uninstalled, which I postulated is a good thing... Read on, All shall be revealed. 

Download Evernote from Evernote website  https://evernote.com/download

Install Evernote- IT PICKS UP THE OLD DATA FILE, AND DOES NOT TRY TO REDOWNLOAD EVERYTHING.  

Tools=>Options=>General =>Check the checkbox Launch evernote and Windows Login 

This is a serious bug- most people who use evernote, have evernote turned on ALL the time.  

Due to issues with Windows 10,  the search box stops working- for example, if you type Winword in the search box on the bottom left, Word does not show up as an app available to be launched.   A workaround is too, logout and log back in.  Unfortunately, this means that everytime I logoff due to a Windows bug, I have to manually start Evernote due to an Evernote bug. 

Not Fair, Not American! 

Make Evernote Great Again, Fix this bug ! 

• Level 5*

Hi.  I'd respectfully question whether "most people" have Evernote on all the time - I'm a pretty heavy user,  but there are sessions where I want to run something that's memory intensive (Adobe Lightroom I'm looking at you) so everything else is off.  Evernote and Outlook shortcuts are both saved to Start in Windows 10,  along with the dozen or so other packages I use regularly.  I can start any one or combination of apps with two clicks.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  I'd respectfully question whether "most people" have Evernote on all the time - I'm a pretty heavy user,  but there are sessions where I want to run something that's memory intensive (Adobe Lightroom I'm looking at you) so everything else is off.  Evernote and Outlook shortcuts are both saved to Start in Windows 10,  along with the dozen or so other packages I use regularly.  I can start any one or combination of apps with two clicks.

I do keep Evernote on all of the time; my two largest memory/processor chewers are currently Chrome (because I am lazy about tabs), Visual Studio, and sometimes the application I work on with VS. When things get slow, I find that the best thing that I can do is to shut down and restart Chrome.

Archived