rjbokleman

200MB Note Limit

Idea

It's 2017, Evernote.  Limiting us to 200MB today in a single note isn't working anymore and will force me back to OneNote.  Many .pdf files are larger than 200MB.  A new limit of 2GB per note needs to be put into place.

• Like 4

11 replies to this idea

What I sometimes run up against is having multiple media file types in a note will quickly get up to 200mb. Even the max file size for attaching a file to this post is over 500mb. 

It’s just something I don’t want to have to to think about when creating a note. If I have to consider if I am doing too much in my note, then the tool is getting in the way of doing my best work.

With so much competition for notes applications nowadays, this is a quick win that would go a long way to show users that Evernote wants to deliver more value to customers.

just for comparison to other note taking applications:

Bear - 250mb limit per attachment, no posted note size limit

Google Keep - No posted note size limit

Notability - No posted limit

iCloud Notes - No posted limit

Box notes - No posted limit

Dropbox Paper - No posted limit

Evernote needs to ask itself, “Why not “ in terms of increasing this limit. Even a modest limit to 500mb would make me happy. If what others on this thread is saying is true that they don’t have any notes close to 200mb, then wouldn’t increasing this be a gesture of progress that wouldn’t cause a mass overload of uploads? Especially your premium members need this.

3 hours ago, rjbokleman said:

Many .pdf files are larger than 200MB.

Yes, there are some people who have lots of .pdf files larger than 200MB. But the majority of Evernote users don't have a need for storing such huge files in Evernote.

I searched for my largest files and found a .pdf copy of an RV magazine in Evernote. (Cover pasted below)

It has 164 pages and includes full-page color ads. It is 73MB.

Magazine.png

5 hours ago, rjbokleman said:

Limiting us to 200MB today in a single note isn't working anymore and will force me back to OneNote.  Many .pdf files are larger than 200MB.  A new limit of 2GB per note needs to be put into place.

My solution would be to store the file externally to Evernote and include a link in the note

Why do you need such large files stored in Evernote?

As an external file, there’s no impact to note size limit, upload limit, or your ISP bandwidth 

• Like 1

I have only found one case where the 200MB limit was restrictive. I haven't seen PDF's that large.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

Yes, there are some people who have lots of .pdf files larger than 200MB. But the majority of Evernote users don't have a need for storing such huge files in Evernote.

I searched for my largest files and found a .pdf copy of an RV magazine in Evernote. (Cover pasted below)

It has 164 pages and includes full-page color ads. It is 73MB.

Magazine.png

Is that you having a toddy out front?

• Like 1

I also come up against this limit often.

I have a lot of cooking ebooks that are about 250MB. I like to save my cookbooks to Evernote as it's my go-to place when looking for recipes.

And I don't want to leave the cookbooks on my hard drive as it keeps running out of space.

Like Duckfeet, I don't want the .pdf's on my disk any longer and would like to use the Evernote search capability to search across the .pdf's.  

@DTLow  On macOS how do you do an 'external link' to a .pdf?  I see attach or link to an http address, but that's it.

On 7/31/2017 at 5:02 AM, rjbokleman said:

@DTLow  On macOS how do you do an 'external link' to a .pdf?  I see attach or link to an http address, but that's it.

Here's an example

I have a pdf file with pathname     /Users/david/Desktop/Status- Evernote Backup Script - 20170730.pdf

In Evernote, I can paste this into a note, but it's not an active link597f38dad2251_ScreenShot2017-07-31at07_03_10.png.b3ef590c16eacf2fd820e23bfb892c99.png
I select the text, right click and select Link > Add
The link text is file:///Users/david/Desktop/Status- Evernote Backup Script - 20170730.pdf

I am in favour of this idea.  Most of the pdfs I read are about photography and the author has to be extremely careful when compressing the images that the overall integrity of the images are not compromised.  For this reason many of my pdfs are over 200mb.  I would like to see it raised to 500mb (even 250 would be better).

As it is Evernote is excellent but flawed.  This one enhancement would make it nearly perfect!

FLpdf.jpg

I agree, there are many use cases for which this limit creates issues. For example, If i am taking audio notes and video notes pertaining to a specific topic, I have to store it in multiple notes just because one note cannot incorporate more than 200 MB. Not only its a nuisance, it also interferes with the organisational structure.