coffeetime

Delete Shared Note - that someone else shared with me

Hi there,

I have many notes that people have shared with me; how on earth do I delete them? (not notes i have shared with others).

Normally, i'd just open up the windows version, select the note and press 'delete'...the note would then be moved to the trash. I can't even drag and drop the shared note to the evernote's trash bin as it has that circle with a line through it. I can delete my own notes, so obviously the issue is because it's a shared note, but I can't see any way to 'leave' the note to combat this, and I can't modify who can access the note as I didn't share it! 

I can access using android, windows and/or the website. 

Please someone help!

Kind regards,

Tom. 

Hi.  In Windows desktop,  if you select one or more notes and right click,  do you get a 'move notes to trash' option?

What versions of Windows and Evernote are you currently using?

Response from support ticket (i'm a premium subscriber):

Alexander (Evernote Help and Learning)

Jul 16, 17:58 PDT

Hi Tom,

Thanks for reaching out to Evernote. My name is Alexander, and I’m here to talk about your inquiry regarding an inability to delete a note that was shared with you.

We've received other reports of this and this issue has already been reported to our development team for resolution.

As a workaround for the time being, I can provide the download for the previous version of the Window's app so you can remove the notebook. Here is the download link for version 6.4.2.

We currently don't have an firm date for when the fix will be released. Thank you for your patience while we work through this.

If you have any other questions please feel free to reach back out to me.

All my best,

Alexander

• Like 2

I've just opened the Evernote Mac app (on macOS Sierra 10.12.6) and I'm seeing a note created by someone whom I don't know, and I don't know how it got there or how to get rid of it. 

Seems like this could really be bad news, and an easy way for people to spam other people's Evernote accounts. Definitely doesn't make my account feel safe if anybody can just throw notes in there. 

22 hours ago, dustinstout said:

I've just opened the Evernote Mac app (on macOS Sierra 10.12.6) and I'm seeing a note created by someone whom I don't know, and I don't know how it got there or how to get rid of it. 

You should ask this in the Mac Help forum, over here: https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/219-mac-help/

This is the Windows Help Forum...

Ah, thanks for that Jefito. This was my first time in here and I just did a search for the problem I was having. Didn't pay attention to the sub-forum breadcrumbs.

• Like 1

Hi Guys 

So another workaround is deleting the local database on your  computer and it has fixed the problem, even with the new version for a few users.

Thought I'd just share that here too =) 

• Like 1

Allowing Evernote to rebuild a database will clear lots of problems,  but deleting the original is risky until you've tested out the new version.  Better to rename the original EXB file or the databases folder first.  Good to have a backup anyway.  If you have any Local Notebooks it's necessary to export the notes from the old database and import them into the new one.

What is a local notebook?

• Thanks 2

On 7/15/2017 at 9:57 AM, coffeetime said:

Hi there,

I have many notes that people have shared with me; how on earth do I delete them? (not notes i have shared with others).

Normally, i'd just open up the windows version, select the note and press 'delete'...the note would then be moved to the trash. I can't even drag and drop the shared note to the evernote's trash bin as it has that circle with a line through it. I can delete my own notes, so obviously the issue is because it's a shared note, but I can't see any way to 'leave' the note to combat this, and I can't modify who can access the note as I didn't share it! 

I can access using android, windows and/or the website. 

Please someone help!

Kind regards,

Tom. 

Has this issue been fixed?  I want to delete notes that were shared with me

I recently started using the sharing features in Evernote and overall I like that I see.

However, if another user shares a note with me and it is not relevant or current, I don't see any way that I, on the recipient end, can get rid of it.

To be clear, I'm not talking about a shared notebook. I know I can delete that.

I'm talking about single shared notes. In the Windows desktop client, they are listed in my All Notes. I could see if this was poorly handled that my All Notes could get overwhelmed with other people's stuff.

So am I missing something?

When I right-click a shared note in the the notes list, there's no MOVE NOTE TO TRASH command. My DELETE key does nothing.

It seems that currently the only way to have it not show in my All Notes is to get the owner to unshare the note.

Thanks in advance.

regards,
Blake
Evernote fan
Plus level
advanced user

And I tested on Evernote Web. The "new" Web product shows single shared notes in the All Notes display. Those shared notes cannot be deleted. The MOVE TO, DUPLICATE, and DELETE NOTE commands are all dimmed. 

I use the All Notes view a lot. 

So, again, my worry is that if a lot of shared notes are sent to me my All Notes display will be noisy.

Same issue here. Cannot delete\remove myself from a single shared note. Tried 6.17.5.8273 (308273) on Win 10, Android (v 8.7.0) and the Web UI. Also, when searching for the note, Win desktop client returns shared note and local note, Web UI and Android app returns only a note that was locally created (not shared). Haven't tried my Mac.

This issue is still not fixed on Windows Release version 6.17. Though the release notes say "- Now there’s one easy place to find all the notes and notebooks that have been shared with you. Check out “Shared with me” over there in the sidebar." the only I thing I see under "Shared with me" is a note shared by someone that I cannot delete.

Hello? Evernote? This is an INSANE issue to still have a year and a half after you were first made aware of it. And now you're just ghosting the people on your own forum? FIX THIS!

18 hours ago, OneStrawHat said:

Hello? Evernote? This is an INSANE issue to still have a year and a half after you were first made aware of it. And now you're just ghosting the people on your own forum? FIX THIS!

Hi.  We're (mostly) not Evernote - just other users with the same issue.  Evernote don't generally respond to input here - it's a free forum for user-to-user discussion.

+1 @OneStrawHat this is insane... it is a shame not being able to take out an unwanted shared-with-me-note from my list of notes, all by myself. What is it? Is it so hard to implement this, @EverNote?!

@EverNote Is this on the roadmap? It's very annoying that I cannot remove unwanted notes that were shared with me.

It's August 13, 2019. Any update on this issue? No solution on Windows or Android for me. It's incredibly awkward to have notes sitting there that were shared by people that I am no longer, and would not like to be, in contact with, and haven't been for more than a year. Please fix this @evernote.

Hi, I'm stucked in the same issue, it's a shame that something so simple isn't available yet... Please allow us to unfollow the Notes