Optimizing upload limit, and using evernote for web and pc client

Hey guys ! So, I wanted to know :

how can I make most efficient use of my 60 mb upload limit when using web and pc client ?

Is there any point in using web client if I have the pc one ?

What sync settings would be the most optimal to reduce my upload limit ?

Maybe some general tips on how to avoid exceeding upload limit ?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, DivineKataroshie said:

how can I make most efficient use of my 60 mb upload limit when using web and pc client ?

1. Small notes.  Don't include large attachments, use a file link instead
    A minor change to a large note results in the entire note being uploaded
  2. Use Local Notebooks; make sure you back them up

>>Is there any point in using web client if I have the pc one ?

I rarely use the web client, but it's nice to have it there as a backup
The master version of your notes is maintained on the Evernote servers; accessed via the web platform

• Level 5
3 hours ago, DivineKataroshie said:

Is there any point in using web client if I have the pc one ?

I mainly use it if I need to check whether something I did is definitely updated on the Evernote servers. But its biggest practical use, I think, would be in situations where you don't have access to your computer (or tablet or phone) with Evernote on it. Heaven forbid your computer should need repair in the middle of a project; or you're traveling without it and you have some ideas you really need to preserve. On a public computer (such as at a library) or a borrowed one, you can go to the Web client and do what you need to do (though without the PC program's bells and whistles).

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, DivineKataroshie said:

Maybe some general tips on how to avoid exceeding upload limit ?

Simple: to reduce your upload limit, reduce the amount of content that you put into Evernote, and reduce the amount of changes that you make to existing Evernote notes. Avoid large items like photos and external attachments. And if you feel like you're getting close to your monthly limit, cut back until the month ends. Alternatively, you could spring for a Plus r Premium account for a month if you have a lot of content to add, then go back to Basic.

1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I mainly use it if I need to check whether something I did is definitely updated on the Evernote servers. But its biggest practical use, I think, would be in situations where you don't have access to your computer (or tablet or phone) with Evernote on it. Heaven forbid your computer should need repair in the middle of a project; or you're traveling without it and you have some ideas you really need to preserve. On a public computer (such as at a library) or a borrowed one, you can go to the Web client and do what you need to do (though without the PC program's bells and whistles).

Seems like a good way to approach it :)

27 minutes ago, jefito said:

Simple: to reduce your upload limit, reduce the amount of content that you put into Evernote, and reduce the amount of changes that you make to existing Evernote notes. Avoid large items like photos and external attachments. And if you feel like you're getting close to your monthly limit, cut back until the month ends. Alternatively, you could spring for a Plus r Premium account for a month if you have a lot of content to add, then go back to Basic.

Well, I more likely meant how can  I make it, so that evernote doesn't accidentally upload files while I edit, or doesn't upload them too often :D. or perhaps I could keep some notes offline, and upload them when I want

Thank you all for replying tho ! Appreciate your feedback !

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DivineKataroshie said:

Well, I more likely meant how can  I make it, so that evernote doesn't accidentally upload files while I edit, or doesn't upload them too often :D.

Good point.  On my Mac, I can set the upload interval from every 5 minutes to manual

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, DTLow said:

Good point.  On my Mac, I can set the upload interval from every 5 minutes to manual

Yes. There's a similar setting for the Windows client (Tools / Options / Synchronization / Synchronize automatically...

• Level 5*

...And just to round off all that excellent advice - remember it's a limit,  not a target!  Bad Things Can Happen if you exceed it,  so be careful and keep an eye on your usage!

• 2 weeks later...

When new content is added, does it only update per the sync time preference (e.g. 15 minutes) or does it try to be faster?
Today I am at 59.8MB out of 60 MB upload limit. But the size of my saved .enex file (backup of all notes I ever took) is only 4 MB, and I only add plain text (no pictures or formatted text). I have the Mac app sync time set to 15 minutes, but it is often very sluggish, e.g. 10 seconds to respond to typing when I alt-tab between something else and Evernote. Pinging evernote.com takes about 11 ms but it is probably putting the data on another domain. I suspect the slow response time is related to updating. Yesterday I spent a few hours reading web pages and switching to Evernote to paste a text line. If it is uploading the entire note (e.g. 2-4KB) every time I type a letter or word, that could explain my huge upload numbers. I guess I need to sniff the network to see what is being transferred, and (next month) watch the limit value.

I may need to change the way I work, to creating new content in a local editor (e.g. Mac "Notes") then paste it into Evernote once I complete the note.

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, LoveHateEvernote said:

Today I am at 59.8MB out of 60 MB upload limit. But the size of my saved .enex file (backup of all notes I ever took) is only 4 MB

I'd say there is something wrong.

It is possible the same note was uploaded multiple times; each time it was edited

This would be my understanding on a Mac

You can monitor the activity log to see whats happening in the background (Help > Activity Log)

Thanks! Activity Log is a nice thing to have! 

Indeed it seems to be uploading the entire note for every few characters typed. Below where the length decreases (23:11:17, 23:11:29) I was typing faster than it could keep up, and hit a backspace then waited for it to catch up.

23:10:46:519 ... | Saving note ... length of 13160 bytes:
23:10:48:521 ... | Saving note ... length of 13162 bytes:
23:10:55:537 ... | Saving note ... length of 13191 bytes:
23:11:04:560 ... | Saving note ... length of 13210 bytes:
23:11:07:562 ... | Saving note ... length of 13217 bytes:
23:11:09:566 ... | Saving note ... length of 13227 bytes:
23:11:12:569 ... | Saving note ... length of 13247 bytes:
23:11:14:589 ... | Saving note ... length of 13265 bytes:
23:11:17:576 ... | Saving note ... length of 13264 bytes:
23:11:23:582 ... | Saving note ... length of 13287 bytes:
23:11:29:586 ... | Saving note ... length of 13286 bytes:
23:11:40:598 ... | Saving note ... length of 13317 bytes:
23:11:42:598 ... | Saving note ... length of 13320 bytes:
23:11:50:616 ... | Saving note ... length of 13329 bytes:
23:11:57:641 ... | Saving note ... length of 13329 bytes:
23:11:59:647 ... | Saving note ... length of 13330 bytes:
23:12:01:647 ... | Saving note ... length of 13338 bytes:
23:12:04:656 ... | Saving note ... length of 13353 bytes:
23:12:06:656 ... | Saving note ... length of 13353 bytes:
23:12:06:664 W|**  -[ENNoteMO setENMLContent:error:]  | ENML has not changed!
23:12:23:648 ... | Saving note ... length of 13361 bytes:
23:12:28:671 ... | Saving note ... length of 13349 bytes:
23:12:30:717 ... | Saving note ... length of 13360 bytes:
23:12:33:709 ... | Saving note ... length of 13364 bytes:
23:12:38:730 ... | Saving note ... length of 13368 bytes:
(Lines edited by removing date, function name, and guid.)

170728_Evernote_Upload.png

• Level 5*
52 minutes ago, LoveHateEvernote said:

Indeed it seems to be uploading the entire note for every few characters typed. Below where the length decreases (23:11:17, 23:11:29) I was typing faster than it could keep up, and hit a backspace then waited for it to catch up.

23:10:46:519 ... | Saving note ... length of 13160 bytes:
23:10:48:521 ... | Saving note ... length of 13162 bytes:
23:10:55:537 ... | Saving note ... length of 13191 bytes:

Don't confuse "Saving" with uploading or syncing

You make a change to a note on the your screen; it has to be saved to disk

41 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Don't confuse "Saving" with uploading or syncing

You make a change to a note on the your screen; it has to be saved to disk

Yes. However, I find it hard to believe it could take 2-3 seconds to write a change to an SSD disk, but networking issues often can take several seconds.
My update log for 7/25 through 7/28 only has 32 entries matching "update.*count", and there are only 32 of them (the update count seems to be the count of times an update is done). Assuming about 8 KB per note, well it still does not account for 59 MB.
Next week when I can use Evernote again I can use WireShark and other trace tools to log network usage. 

Archived