How to ensure that no data is lost after reinstalling Evernote?

g2mXagent

I have used Evernote for a few years, there are some "local notes" and the database is specified in other locations.

Yesterday I re-installed Evernote. When I log in, Everonte automatically synchronizes and downloads notes from the server. These notes become a new database. the two databases are very different:

2017-07-11_025941.png.308838c31fde5f1a3864408f9e1c7cf3.png

my question:

If I now specify the old location for the database, will not cover the old database?

If the old database in the default location, will not be covered because reinstall?

Does Evernote have any measures to protect local notes?

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, g2mXagent said:

The data is stored in a .exb file (Windows)

You can save this file and install it in the required location

>>Does Evernote have any measures to protect local notes?

No, protection is on the sync’d notes at the server level

Users are advised to back up their Local Notebooks

3 分鐘前, DTLow說:

The data is stored in a .exb file (Windows)

You can save this file and install it in the required location

>>Does Evernote have any measures to protect local notes?

No, protection is on the sync’d notes at the server level

Users are advised to back up their Local Notebooks

do you mean:

1. before installing new version, you must backup *.exb file. otherwise the "local notebooks" will gone?

2. the "Attachments" folder is useless?

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, g2mXagent said:

before installing new version, you must backup *.exb file. otherwise the "local notebooks" will gone?

Correct,

Although I can reinstall the app without impacting the database (Mac)

Windows allows you to specify the database location.  You may have old .exb files in different locations

>> the "Attachments" folder is useless?

I don’t think it’s important to your database issue

• Level 5*

Hi.  Re Attachments folders... Long story short -

1. Windows can't open files that are 'attached' to notes,  because they're encoded in the EXB file and not shown as DOC(X) or XLS(X) to the operating system.
  2. Evernote exports a copy of the attached file to the Attachments folder to allow the appropriate application to work on it within a Windows environment.
  3. When you've finished working on the file,  you close the application,  which saves the edited file to the attachments folder and then exits. 
  4. Evernote detects the changed file and replaces the current note attachment with that file.  But it doesn't know whether that is a 'final' version,  or just one saved as a temporary measure.  So Evernote leaves that attachments folder copy there in case you need it again in a few minutes.
  5. There's no standard clear-up routine to empty the folder out - I just delete the content when I think about it,  for a little extra disk space.

Archived