[Request] Inline Code Block

Nathan J

Idea

30 replies to this idea

@gazumped The inline code block is for example used if you just want to point out a command example. If you, like me, write a lot of tech stuff that feature would be really helpful.

Inline example:

To show all files in a directory, one would type ls -la and so on

Code block example

To show all files in a directory, one would type 
ls -la
and so on

You see that a code block for short examples breaks the readability?

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Hannibal1296 said:

It's 2020 now and I also want this feature.

Happy New Year.  Evernote is updating the editor, so this may be in the mix - but they don't usually share release dates until they happen.  As long as you voted (top left of this page) they'll take notice.

+1, I would use inline code formatting in nearly every work related note I make. Other parts of my daily stack where this exists and is crucial are Github, Slack, Medium, and Zendesk.

Currently, to work around this lack of functionality, I format text with a fixed width font, but it would be much quicker to have it available with a keyboard shortcut like code blocks.

P.S. Thank you for code blocks! My notes are much neater and legible now!

• Like 1

Not being able to write inline code blocks is the sole reason I don't use Evernote. Which is a real bummer because I have to resort to some other note taking app/client just so my code notes are understandable. I really don't understand why this feature would not be included for a note-taking app. If Evernote didn't care about Tech people why would there be a code feature at all, so any updates on this? I think it would be appreciated by a much larger audience than only those who have found this thread.

Copy/paste keeping formatting from other apps and the new automated bullet insert is driving me nuts. I'm also constantly switching between Android devices and the Windows app and end up with a crazy mix of fonts and formatting.

I use Evernote a LOT for my script and command snippets and often resort to a habit of select-all-text-Courrier-size-10 on my most often consulted notes. 

All I want is a simple "Default to no formatting" option/feature to a fixed width font.

Bonus: Applicable as a shortcut to blocks, yeah, but I'd like it applicable as an All Notes setting or to individual notes?

• Level 5*

Hi.  Are you meaning a completely inline code block as opposed to the new line code block nserted by Ctrl/Shift/L?  (I assume the Mac equivalent is Cmd/Shift/L) 

If so,  can you explain why the inline version is important?  It would be interesting to understand why and where the existing code block option isn't appropriate...

22 hours ago, LeCook said:

Copy/paste keeping formatting from other apps and the new automated bullet insert is driving me nuts. I'm also constantly switching between Android devices and the Windows app and end up with a crazy mix of fonts and formatting.

Ditto, especially on the auto bullet points / ordered lists. These features are great, but users need the option to disable them for a more stripped-down, Markdown style way of note taking. As far as I know, this is possible on the desktop apps but not Evernote for Android.

• Thanks 1

Has there been any updates on this? I feel like this is such a standard feature, even fb messenger allows for sending code using backticks now. If this was added my notes would be much cleaner and easier to read. 

Please whoever is working in evernote, if you read this, add this into your product.

• Like 1

+1  I like to use evernote as a place of storing code that I can then refer to and copy paste them quickly to get going.   It's great that a code block exists to begin with, but often I want to be able to write inline code blocks so that my notes don't take up loads of lines and I don't have to scroll to find what I'm looking for.   I'm also using Slack and Github which do this already.

• Like 1
On 1/24/2020 at 11:18 PM, JohnHadish said:

This function is available in the beta editor 😀

uses the markdown inline style of: `code` 

Are the other usual inline code hacks like * or _ also supported?

On 7/16/2017 at 12:22 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Are you meaning a completely inline code block as opposed to the new line code block nserted by Ctrl/Shift/L?  (I assume the Mac equivalent is Cmd/Shift/L) 

If so,  can you explain why the inline version is important?  It would be interesting to understand why and where the existing code block option isn't appropriate...

Because inline code is used to refer to code-like artifacts in sentences, e.g., "This function is currently implemented via `get_all_the_things` but should be moved."

It wouldn't make any sense to break that out into a separate div; it's a sentence, and should remain so.

As a developer I use this functionality in Markdown all the time: it's critical.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Dave Newton said:

As a developer I use this functionality in Markdown all the time: it's critical.

You're now quoting me from 3 years ago.  I'm now using Markdown (Typora.io) which generates these neat little document files I can attach to my notes and open in Linux and Windows to edit.  If I need to feed the search index I just copy and paste the raw text...

I agree that the inline code blocks are essential. It's a very useful way to highlight inline snippets of information. To me, this also defeats the purpose of Evernote.

Please implement already.

Still waiting on this today (2021-09-28) after maaaaaaaany updates!

I use Evernote for a LOT of indented code snippets. 
- Templates keep bringing back a mix of fonts and styles. Need defaulting to a fixed width font across the board (or on an entire notebook) as a default setting
- Need ability to disable automated hyperlinking
- Need ability to disable bullet formatting

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Personally I doubt the new editor will be touched, and especially not to make it a code oriented platform. This would add functions that the majority of users don’t need, adding complexity.

EN has defined the code block to allow to save code snippets.

If you need more, use a specialized editor, and embed the files into the note. I use COTEditor on the Mac for code.

To get your request to the attention of EN staff, you can use the feedback function build into the clients.

Worth noting that this very old thread refers to the legacy client. The original request (to add an inline code block) is implemented in V10 using the markdown style formatting suggested by the original poster.

`inline code`

• Like 1