Nathan J

[Request] Inline Code Block

Idea

14 replies to this idea

+1, I would use inline code formatting in nearly every work related note I make. Other parts of my daily stack where this exists and is crucial are Github, Slack, Medium, and Zendesk.

Currently, to work around this lack of functionality, I format text with a fixed width font, but it would be much quicker to have it available with a keyboard shortcut like code blocks.

P.S. Thank you for code blocks! My notes are much neater and legible now!

@gazumped The inline code block is for example used if you just want to point out a command example. If you, like me, write a lot of tech stuff that feature would be really helpful.

Inline example:

To show all files in a directory, one would type ls -la and so on

Code block example

To show all files in a directory, one would type 
ls -la
and so on

You see that a code block for short examples breaks the readability?

• Like 1

I don't think they care for programmers, markdown or the code block things. Writing your notes with codes somewhere else, then export the completed work into Evernote may be the best solution for now. 

Copy/paste keeping formatting from other apps and the new automated bullet insert is driving me nuts. I'm also constantly switching between Android devices and the Windows app and end up with a crazy mix of fonts and formatting.

I use Evernote a LOT for my script and command snippets and often resort to a habit of select-all-text-Courrier-size-10 on my most often consulted notes. 

All I want is a simple "Default to no formatting" option/feature to a fixed width font.

Bonus: Applicable as a shortcut to blocks, yeah, but I'd like it applicable as an All Notes setting or to individual notes?

Hi.  Are you meaning a completely inline code block as opposed to the new line code block nserted by Ctrl/Shift/L?  (I assume the Mac equivalent is Cmd/Shift/L) 

If so,  can you explain why the inline version is important?  It would be interesting to understand why and where the existing code block option isn't appropriate...

OK - gotcha.  I can see the first option is much more accessible.  Thanks.

22 hours ago, LeCook said:

Copy/paste keeping formatting from other apps and the new automated bullet insert is driving me nuts. I'm also constantly switching between Android devices and the Windows app and end up with a crazy mix of fonts and formatting.

Ditto, especially on the auto bullet points / ordered lists. These features are great, but users need the option to disable them for a more stripped-down, Markdown style way of note taking. As far as I know, this is possible on the desktop apps but not Evernote for Android.

Has there been any updates on this? I feel like this is such a standard feature, even fb messenger allows for sending code using backticks now. If this was added my notes would be much cleaner and easier to read. 

Please whoever is working in evernote, if you read this, add this into your product.

+1  I like to use evernote as a place of storing code that I can then refer to and copy paste them quickly to get going.   It's great that a code block exists to begin with, but often I want to be able to write inline code blocks so that my notes don't take up loads of lines and I don't have to scroll to find what I'm looking for.   I'm also using Slack and Github which do this already.

Any update on this? As tech. guys we really need it and it's a not so hard to add, we can contribute if it's open source.

I realy miss this feature while writing text. Sometimes I would like to emphasise some words and it would be great simply to type **this is important** to get this is important.

Not being able to write inline code blocks is the sole reason I don't use Evernote. Which is a real bummer because I have to resort to some other note taking app/client just so my code notes are understandable. I really don't understand why this feature would not be included for a note-taking app. If Evernote didn't care about Tech people why would there be a code feature at all, so any updates on this? I think it would be appreciated by a much larger audience than only those who have found this thread.