Evernote Crashes on iOS 11

DonWHunter

Idea

I installed the iOS 11 Public Beta last week.  Ever since then, I cannot run Evernote on my iPad.  It crashes every time I try to open it.  Have done restarts, soft resets, and hard resets, but all to no avail.  I hope Evernote’s developers are working on an update for the iOS App.

49 replies to this idea

I have tried my best but somehow i find evernote has not kept pace with ios11. My penultimate keeps crashing when i try to open a new 

note book. Its been more than 15 days now since ios 11 was officially launched and the beta version has been around for months. Evernote needs to resolve this...or tell us what they plan to do with penultimate. 

• Level 5*
On 2017-08-07 at 11:43 AM, igolfccod said:

Unfortunately, Evernote techs say they won’t release a fix until the fall when iOS 11 beta is completed. The tech told me to go back to iOS 10. I can’t do that. So it’s on to OneNote.

OneNote has supporting for IOS11 beta?

That makes sense. There may something in the problem that either requires the iOS 11 SDK, or they made a decision to focus on iOS11 improvements and not an incremental bug fix for an unsupported OS.

Most of my daily note taking is in OneNote already. I tend to use Evernote as more of a place I store images and text for non-work projects. I'll hold off on clipping from iOS until the fix is released.

Now that we”re dealing with a (presumably supported) released OS, I note that attempts to send from Apple’s News to Evernote doesn’t seem to work, taking interminably long to, eventually, do nothing. Meanwhile similarly attempts from Flipboard crash that app. Is there an incompatibility list (and fix commitment timeline) anywhere?

I installed the iOS 11 Public Beta last week.  Ever since then, I cannot run Evernote on my Iphone 7 .  It crashes every time I try to open it.  Have done restarts, soft resets, and hard resets, but all to no avail.  I hope Evernote’s developers are working on an update for the iOS App.

20 horas atrás, max&stevie disse:

I updated to iOS 11 over the weekend, and now every time I try to annotate a pdf, it instantly crashes. It's very frustrating because the reason I'm paying for pro features is to be able to annotate pdfs. I'm on an ipad pro. 

I am also facing the same problem, I paid the premiun version just to edit the pdfs and every time I try to edit it it closes itself

Brammy, I agree with you 100%. When I use the “web clipper” in iOS 11 the clip is contaminated somehow and causes Evernote to crash when we try to open on the iPad. If I clip from my Mac, no problem opening on both the Mac and iPad.

Unfortunately, Evernote techs say they won’t release a fix until the fall when iOS 11 beta is completed. The tech told me to go back to iOS 10. I can’t do that. So it’s on to OneNote.

Here we are on October 5th and I just started having this issue. I have an iPhone 6s Plus, and have updated with each iOS 11 release. I am leaving on a trip tomorrow and TODAY this issue starts. I am DOA and a pissed premium user. I rebooted, deleted and reinstalled, and even updated to the latest ios11 patch that just came out after nothing else worked. Still crashing. I have no access to my travel docs now. Not taking a laptop with me. Why am I paying for this again?

Hey Evernote, I'm still waiting for a response to this issue. Having no access to over 1000 notes on my iPhone is unacceptable. Maybe it's my fault for relying so heavily on your app; if I could find a replacement I'd do it in a minute. 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, nukediver said:

Having no access to over 1000 notes on my iPhone is unacceptable. Maybe it's my fault for relying so heavily on your app

Its important to me that I don't lose access to my data (10k+ notes)
It's one of the reasons I use Evernote; it provides a backup

• First, my notes are sync'd to the servers, and can be accessed via the web platform (www.evernote.com)
  • Second, my notes are sync'd to all my devices (iPad, iPhone, Mac)
  • Third, I backup my data in html format to a cloud drive. 
    I can view my data without relying on an Evernote app

My real issue is that I rely on access on my iPhone. My work often takes me (literally) out in the field where i do not (and cannot, for logistical and practical reasons) have access to my laptop or iPad. No matter what I have tried, the app WILL NOT STAY OPEN on my iPhone. No error message comes up because the app crashes too fast. I also have everything backed up, so yes, I still have access through other means but that doesn't help me when I really need it on my phone, which is why I got a Pro account in the first place.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, nukediver said:

My real issue is that I rely on access on my iPhone

Sorry, this issue seems beyond help from the userbase.  I'd suggest you open a support ticket at Contact Evernote Support

We pay for this enhanced support, so  might as well make use of it

Any word on this yet?  I just bought an iphone 8, restored all my apps from a backup, then updated to the latest evernote and ios, and now evernote crashes on startup repeatedly, despite, reinstalling the app, updating IOS, rebooting.

I'm about to log a ticket, but if anyone has any solutions in the meantime, would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

On 22/11/2017 at 10:40 PM, nukediver said:

Turns out it was crashing because I also had Evernote installed on my Apple Watch. Once I uninstalled it from the watch, no more crashes on the iPhone!

Had exactly the same problem.  and yes , its the watch app, removed and now all ok!  many thanks for this!!  ???

I am on IOS11.2.2 and Evernote crashes on my iPhone and iPad upon launch.  I have tried just about everything I have read on how to fix this issue but to no avail.  The desktop versions on Mac and Windows work fine.  This is really annoying; I think I will move away from Evernote if I can’g Get this issue properly dealt with in a week.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, jslf said:

I am on IOS11.2.2 and Evernote crashes on my iPhone and iPad upon launch.  I have tried just about everything I have read on how to fix this issue but to no avail.  The desktop versions on Mac and Windows work fine.  This is really annoying; I think I will move away from Evernote if I can’g Get this issue properly dealt with in a week.

Have you tried deleting and re-adding the app to your iDevices?

• Level 5*

@DonWHunter

I got the update for 11 Beta 2 over the weekend  Seems faster in general and a couple of non-EN things seemed to have been fixed (closing apps for me).  EN still performing as normal for me.  Have you tried EN with the new beta?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DonWHunter said:

I installed the iOS 11 Public Beta last week.  Ever since then, I cannot run Evernote on my iPad.  It crashes every time I try to open it.  Have done restarts, soft resets, and hard resets, but all to no avail.  I hope Evernote’s developers are working on an update for the iOS App.

Installed IOS 11 Beta this week.  No issues so far with EN.  Have you tried removing and reinstalling EN?

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, DonWHunter said:

No I haven’t tried that -thanks for the tip.  Will give it a try.

You are welcome.  Let us know how it goes.

I am having the same problem on my 12.9" iPad. I've tried reinstalling but once I try an open a note it crashes. It then crashes on launch. I also tried restarting between uninstall and reinstall.

I understand this is an unsupported OS, so this is just another data point for folks.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DonWHunter said:

csihilling - removed Evernote, rebooted, re-installed.  No difference.  Evernote still crashes when I try to open it.

Sorry to hear that.  For whatever reason I am not experiencing the issue.  May be trouble ticket time.  Even though IOS is a beta it might give EN a leg up if there is some issue. 

FWIW, my IOS 11 issues seem to be more related to speed.  A couple of apps, not EN, appear to be slower with the new version.  

14 minutes ago, DonWHunter said:

Interesting - I contacted Cultured Code about a similar issue over the weekend.  They already are putting out an update to address this.  Wonder why Evernote isn't so quick to respond?

I think the problems are different, The Culture Code crash is related to notifications. Turning Notifications off on Evernote doesn't fix it. It's possible the fix needs the iOS11 SDK stuff, which they can't submit until the GM is out.

3 minutes ago, DonWHunter said:

Could be, Brammy.  At the same time, it feels like Evernote's product support and customer service is getting to be progressively poorer.  As a long-time premium user, I expected better than what we're getting.

That may be, but to be fair, we are running a beta OS that is unsupported.While I want it to work again, these are the risks of running the betas.

So, it is improved somewhat on the latest DP released today.

I still get crashing, but it seems like the crashing is related to notes I create using the document picker in iOS 11. If I web clip a note on my Windows PC, it opens fine in Evernote. If I clip it via the document picker, the app crashes when I open it.

I wonder if this explains why some people didn't have the problem, and others did. it may well be that this has been the issue all along.

Just now, csihilling said:

@DonWHunter

I got the update for 11 Beta 2 over the weekend  Seems faster in general and a couple of non-EN things seemed to have been fixed (closing apps for me).  EN still performing as normal for me.  Have you tried EN with the new beta?

it is still crashing for me. What device are you on? I am on a 1st gen 12.9.

7 minutes ago, csihilling said:

@DonWHunter

I have updated, still crashing.  Using the new iPad Pro 10.5 and an iPhone 6s.

Same issue: 1st gen 12.9“ iPad Pro on iOS 11.0 public beta. Crashes immediately after startup the very moment the „Evernote has unexpectely quit“ pop-up appears. 

I have tried the following:

1. Close app and restart: Does not solve problem

2. Remove app and reinstall: Seemed to have solved the problem for a while

3. Set all notebooks to offline and let Evernote synchronize for an hour or so: Evernote crashes again

Been having crashes upon launch as well. Tested, did uninstall/reinstall, and even just updated to new Public Beta 3. Here's what I've discovered...

• When I am logged into a basic account that is direct through Evernote's login system, all is GOOD and does NOT crash. 
  • When I am authenticated through my GOOGLE account on a PREMIUM account, it crashes on startup. 

Something to do with Google authentication (login with Google) and/or Premium Accounts?

For the record, I am on iPad Pro 10.5", iOS 11 Public Beta 3

I really hope Evernote can update to make this work. It's the only app (other than DirecTV NOW) that isn't working under iOS11 Beta thus far. They haven't updated iOS app since May, so that could be part of the issue. Of course, as we have all stated, Betas are At Your Own Risk and certainly have caveats. But sorry- I'm just too happy using iOS11 to revert back at this point!

I hope this helps...

I did as you suggested. And some of the issue is resolved. The original problem was that Evernote crashed when I tried to open a note in iOS 11 beta. I have been logging in to Evernote using LastPass. Well, this time I logged in using Evernote’s login while entering ID and Passcode manually. 

Now it appears that I can open many notes ok but Evernote still crashes while opening some notes. 

The notes that cause the crash appear to be corrupted in some way. I can’t tell what the crashed note contains since it flashes quickly and Evernote crashes.

Yep, iOS 11 Beta here as well (Public 3). 

I was able to take a screenshot of the crash just before it happens. Here it is... the usual crash report, although you never do get a chance to interact with the menu- it crashes completely. (But you do still see EN as OPEN in the "Open Apps" with the swipe up command. 

Looks like we are at the mercy of the Evernote team on this one. I'm all ears for other solutions. 

crash-shot-evernote.jpg

Have not had the EN crash issue (iPad Pro 10.5) using iOS public beta but have not been able to access any notes through Private links...they open in Safari and stop, but same configuration on iPad Mini 4 opens same notes through same public links. .... tech support response, 

“Evernote is not ready for iOS 11 since it was not launched. If you still experience issues with Evernote when the alpha version of iOS 11 launches, please reach out to us. Meanwhile we cannot support Evernote app on a Beta version.”

...I guess that’s why I pay the big bucks!

stuball - I get that they don't support a Beta version...but the fact is that they have the developer's Beta and have had it much longer than the public has had the public Beta.  It's frustrating that they just basically say "it's your problem."  You know they have to have some solutions.  I'm getting more and more frustrated with EN's attitude and the level of customer service compared to what it once was.  The problem is that there's nowhere to go.  Tried OneNote but it's incredibly slow on a Mac and just hangs.  

Archived