Screenshots, Photos And Videos in Evernote?

lamborghini

Hey guys, 

Some people say to use Evernote to store just notes. I'm wondering what will happen if I have few thousands of these larger files like photos, screenshots, or some quick videos. Everything under 200mb. Will it lag or run smooth? Anyone have experience with it?

I don't want to store all my photos or screenshots in Evernote. But all important ones. For example "Motivation Zone" tag with all these things, like my new car, screenshot of greatful message, etc. 

Also I have lots of iPhone screen recordings (30-150mb). Should I keep it in google drive and then reference to it in Evernote? I think its a lot more work than to do it this way...

Thanks

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, lamborghini said:

Some people say to use Evernote to store just notes.

I actually store most of my data as file attachments to notes.  
I haven't detected any issues (Mac/IPad) even with large files.
I'm currently at 10k notes, 8GB

I don't know about the impact in the Windows platform where all the data is embedded in a single .exb file

This does eat into your upload limit.
For example, a simple edit to a note results in the entire note being uploaded (the upload includes the file attachment)

• Level 5*

A couple more considerations -

• whatever is stored on the server is also stored in your database,  so your disk space usage is going to skyrocket
  • at around 150MB per note you're limited to about 60 saves per month before you exceed the monthly upload limit,  even as a Premium user
  • you might want to check out the User Guidelines...  (there's a lot more than this,  but the bit I bolded caught my eye)

...Examples of Unsupported Uses include systematically backing up a hard drive, storing a media library, automatically archiving emails or files, or maintaining large quantities of files for storage-only purposes. Using Evernote for these purposes may result in you and/or other users having a significantly degraded Evernote experience. The quality of your Evernote experience depends on using Evernote for its Intended Uses.

37 minutes ago, DTLow said:

9 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I'm currently at 1.2k notes and almost 10GB of storage in total. 60x150MB is more than my needs but the problem is that everything is on my disk (even on iPhone, right?). Not good. So I think it's not a great idea to store this large video files, but what you think about screenshots and photos? I wanted to have everything in one place.

For instances when I feel depressed I want to have all my "success" in one place to check them out and improve my mood. 
- greatful email from a client
- screenshot of mine best project, etc.
- video of my doughter first steps 
- photo of my car or something.

Maybe I should optimize these photos/screenshots (some screenshots of my screen are 10MB+ bacause of 5K screen) and store originals on Google Drive/Dropbox? And mention original file location in that note? That looks like a lot of work, not sure if its worth it.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, lamborghini said:

but the problem is that everything is on my disk (even on iPhone, right?)

Evernote stores a copy of the database on the Win/Mac platforms

Little data is stored on the Mobile devices; data is retrieved from the Internet
There is an offline notebook feature to store data locally

As @gazumped pointed out, Evernote was not designed as a media library but the odd video or large photo should be ok.  I have some of my own filed in Evernote

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, lamborghini said:

Maybe I should optimize these photos/screenshots (some screenshots of my screen are 10MB+ bacause of 5K screen) and store originals on Google Drive/Dropbox? And mention original file location in that note? That looks like a lot of work, not sure if its worth it.

You can store all of the above in EN, but it is probably not the best place.  You can store also store them in G-Drive, DropBox, Mega, or the like with or without links.  Kind of three layers in my view:

1. If something is very important to you and you want to view it in EN and you want it to be searchable, put it in EN.
  2. If something is very important to you and you want to view it in EN but you don't want to consume the storage, put it in one of the cloud services with a link in an EN note.
  3. If not really needed in EN then put the items in cloud storage and use platform specific apps to view them.

My own use case for anything I don't need to be searchable is:

1. To put pictures on Google Drive using platform specific apps to view them on PC/phone/tablet
  2. To put large spreadsheets in Dropbox with a link in the note to the local folder
  3. To put all videos on Mega.  

Again, the key for me as to whether I put the item in EN is whether I want it to be searchable within EN.  I guess I could consolidate the clouds, but the separation and the functions of each makes it easier for me.  YMMV.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, lamborghini said:

Link to the local folder? I don't think it's possible on Mac, you're Windows user, right?

Yes.  The link to the local folder enables opening the file as opposed to downloading it.  Still get all the benefits of the cloud backup without the delay of a download.  

Quick Google search turned up this for Mac linking, though someone with Mac experience will need to weigh in on how to create a local file link.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, lamborghini said:

Link to the local folder? I don't think it's possible on Mac, you're Windows user, right?

On a Mac, select text, right click then add link595e85b76a0d5_ScreenShot2017-07-06at11_44_12.png.eab389df469a7a2059cab212e62824b5.png

In the link dialog, type file:// and the path to the file

595e8d4f0603f_ScreenShot2017-07-06at12_18_43.png.401dd33f5a949238d42328b3956d9096.png

Archived