Improvement for Clipping Simplifed Articles

Nomadic

Idea

I often select the option of "Simplified Article" when saving via Evernote. However, very frequently (dare I say the majority of the time), the author's name and/or publication date (when shown with the article) is not part of the clip. Therefore, after every clipping, I must peek at my EN file to see whether or not it was included, and then must copy and paste the information if it's not there. This, of course, slows down my work flow, and is downright cumbersome if I'm using EN on anything other than my desktop.

Perhaps this improvement request is difficult to achieve due to the great variety of ways that webpages are coded, but I wanted to register that I would be THRILLED if this feature could be improved!

Thanks, in advance, Evernote!

---------

As an example, today (7/6/2017), I clicked on a link in an email from Evernote (received 6/27/2017) that lead to a wonderful article on Medium about Founder Stepan Pachikov. I wanted to save it for future re-reading, so I clipped it using "Simplified Article." Once again, no references to the publication date and author were acquired (the date is listed both at start and end of article, and the author's name is at the end). I find this ironic since Pachikov is committed to history in context and memories. I'd like to think that in addition to EN's autosaving the date that articles are clipped, that the company would be dedicated to also seeing the importance of recording the date the information is published, and who is responsible for the content.  

Edited by Nomadic
found a relevant example to add
  • Like 2

13 replies to this idea

5 hours ago, DTLow said:

Sorry, I missed that.  I was looking ”right near the start”

Perhaps it’s not that straightforward 

As to info at the top of article, if you look closely near the beginning of the lower curve on the elephants trunk, it shows it was posted on "Jun 27" (and also "14 min read"). 

As a separate comment, I can understand it might be difficult to get the date & author, as I have seen that info on pages at the top, the bottom, and even in side bars.

I'm just registering my opinion that it's super important to me to obtain the information, whether Evernote can provide it, or I acquire it myself. Given the dialogue that's happened recently, it seems it might be helpful for me to write to the sites I use regularly for which Evernote cannot pick up the data, and ask those sites to make sure they are putting the info in the meta data. However, I assume Evernote has more leverage than I do (as I suspect the sites can see that the Evernote clipper is used) and Evernote's request to ask that the data be moved might be more impactful.  

I very much need the same things mentioned by the OP. This issue most often comes up when I clip from news sites. 

What I need: A clipped article, complete with publication name, headline, date and author's name -- preferably without the side columns of additional articles, random ads at the bottom, etc. I need this in order to share those articles, often combined into a packet of articles. 

Publications that offer "print versions" of individual articles solve the issue for me. I can clip a perfect-looking article, with all the needed elements, for saving and sharing. The issue is that not all publications do this.

Therefore, using Evernote, my choices are:

1.) Clip as an "article," which keeps the date and the authors, but strips out the publication name.

To @DTLowI understand that I could add in the information myself, but that is cumbersome when clipping numerous items. Also, this leaves me unable to keep the font/style/etc. of the publication name, which makes the clipped article look better for printing, sharing, etc.

2.) Clip as a "simplified article," which strips out the date and the authors in addition to leaving out the publication name.

In short, "simplified article" ought to include all the basics of identification: Publication name, headline, date and author's name, as well as the article itself.

ex. 1 - "ARTICLE" -- Captures authors' names and dates, along with sidebar links and other extraneous information; does not capture "The New York Times" from the top of the page, which only shows up if you choose "full page."

Article.png.4099800915c801d1acdbfdf8a36834a1.png

ex. 2 - "SIMPLIFIED ARTICLE" - Does not capture publication name, date or author's name. 

5972ee46a544a_SimplifiedArticle.png.315d5ab0fa1325daec58eeb205d76151.png

• Thanks 1

Yes please! I agree 100% with @Nomadic I clip articles very often. The author name and date are CRUCIAL, so I cannot use the simplified article.

very frequently (dare I say the majority of the time), the author's name and/or publication date (when shown with the article) is not part of the clip.

@Evernote, what is your plan for this please?.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, Logi said:

@Evernote, what is your plan for this please?

Evernote hasn't indicated any interest in extracting such information from a web clipping
I suspect it isn't possible, unless the providers provided the information as metadata

If you wish to add your support to this request, use the voting buttons in the upper left corner of the discussion
If this information is CRUCIAL, I would enter it manually

@DTLow I am sure it must be possible to scrape the author's name and the date of the article,a s it is usually right near the start.#

Evernote hasn't indicated any interest in extracting such information from a web clipping
I suspect it isn't possible, unless the providers provided the information as metadata

• Level 5*
41 minutes ago, Logi said:

I am sure it must be possible to scrape the author's name and the date of the article, as it is usually right near the start.

Referencing the clipping in the original post596e1e912cb30_ScreenShot2017-07-18at07_42_28.thumb.png.8af142c9757c37a4e53f393d97438cac.png
Show me the author and date

At the end of the article is text "Written by Pamela Rosen on June 27th, 2017".

Coding to pick this up must be straightforward.

Of course though - unfortunately - clipping the sumplified article misses this.

596e2ac1a639e_Articleshowingauthoratend.jpg.9eec1d2041281b3f73f4e969a1a4f050.jpg

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, Logi said:

At the end of the article is text "Written by Pamela Rosen on June 27th, 2017".

Of course though - unfortunately - clipping the sumplified article misses this.

Sorry, I missed that.  I was looking ”right near the start”

Perhaps it’s not that straightforward 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Logi said:

Many things that involve programming and seem simple are not straightforward at all. In this instance, picking out author, date,and other metadata from a web page's text can be non-trivial indeed. What if the language is not English? Then you need to recognize whatever "written by" translates to in that language. What if there are multiple phrases "written by" in the text with different names that follow, plus maybe "author", "published by" etc, etc.? Which one do you choose? What if there's a phrase "written by an Italian poet from the 13th century"? Disambiguating plain text is not easy. That's why HTML has metadata (data about the content), so that the content provider can describe the content for a machine that reads it in a standard way. See, e.g., HTML <meta> tag.

No question that this is useful data to have as part of your note, for sure, but getting it reliably is important as well. Scraping the content may accomplish that all that well....

• Like 1
On 7/24/2017 at 8:51 AM, jefito said:

Moved to the web clipper zone...

Whoops. Ignore previous post in this space. Just realized that @jefito meant he moved this whole discussion elsewhere ...

• Level 5*
On 7/26/2017 at 8:36 PM, M. Black said:

Whoops. Ignore previous post in this space. Just realized that @jefito meant he moved this whole discussion elsewhere ...

I could have been a little more specific there. Note also that you can delete your own posts: You should see an 'Options' link directly under your post; if you click it, you should see a 'Delete' link...

On 7/18/2017 at 10:29 AM, jefito said:

What if there's a phrase "written by an Italian poet from the 13th century"? Disambiguating plain text is not easy.

Metadata for clipped articles is among the features I most need from EN. So I confess that I might tend toward ill thoughts of anyone explaining the difficulties, however correct or rational.

But I can't be annoyed this time at @jefito for being the messenger of bad news because of the artful "Tangled Up In Blue" reference ...