Hyperlink editing bug

Trichromic

Idea

When a note link or any other type of hyperlink is created, the easiest way is to highlight the text in the note that you want to form the link, then right-click Hyperlink > Add...

You paste in the URL and click Ok and the text become a familar hyperlink.

However if you then right-click and Edit the hyperlink, then click Ok (even if you don't alter it) the original text is replaced by the actual URL, which is really annoying.
The work-around is to first remove the hyperlink and then re-create it.

Please either don't let the Editing change the original text or else provide an Edit dialog box with both the URL and display text as fields.

Thanks.

11 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  Just tried to edit a hyperlink and was able to do so without problem.  Also went into edit and didn't change anything - came back to the same link text;  no replacement.  Have you tried restarting Evernote / rebooting the device?

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Just tried to edit a hyperlink and was able to do so without problem.  Also went into edit and didn't change anything - came back to the same link text;  no replacement.  Have you tried restarting Evernote / rebooting the device?

You have to change the url in edit for it to delete the previously entered custom text. 

8 hours ago, gustavgi said:

You have to change the url in edit for it to delete the previously entered custom text. 

It does it even if you don't edit the URL but just ok the existing one.
The EN development team should simply allow the hyperlink edit box to have custom display test and URL fields, like most other editors have.

• Level 5*

OK Weird.  That's exactly what I thought you did,  and exactly what I mirrored on my EN 6.6.2 beta and Win 64.  Mine works correctly,  yours (obviously) doesn't - maybe this was a bug they found and fixed already?

I've just upgraded to the v6.6.2 beta (I usually stay away from the beta versions) and you are quite right, they have resolved this problem.

However they have introduced a new minor bug - the Hyperlink submenu now contains Add/Edit/Copy & Remove when there's no hyperlink there yet.
Previously it was just the "Add..." and the rest were greyed out until the hyperlink was created.
If you click Edit, Copy or Remove before a hyperlink is created, nothing actually happens. It doesn't even copy the custom display text.

Evernote developers - if you're monitoring this forum - that's a little bug to fix before releasing this beta :-)

• Level 5*

The forum to post in is the beta release thread - I'll flag your comments up there.  (The devs don't necessarily look at every post in every forum every day - it might be a while before they get around to this one!  :))

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, cpufox said:

Not sure why Gazumped seems to react April and July, as if this is the first time in each report of the problem

That was in 2016 - a year later I'm not sure either.  Although I can't see that I commented on one of those threads at all.  And in the current Beta add / edit hyperlink seems to be working fine...

On 10/28/2017 at 4:20 PM, gazumped said:

That was in 2016 - a year later I'm not sure either.  Although I can't see that I commented on one of those threads at all.  And in the current Beta add / edit hyperlink seems to be working fine...

No problem now, Gazumped. I do appreciate most all of what you follow and comment on. You are truly a guru! B)

12/3/2017 UPDATE - Not sure when, but more recently in the Desktop app ... 

This issue is now fixed!  Thank-you very much. I create hyperlinks many times a week and this annoying issue was addressed.  :)

Archived