Can't copy/paste in text in body of a note

Can't copy/paste in text in body of a note:  The toolbar  with the normal "copy/paste" options icons only appear when selecting (long press) text on the note title itself, but not on body of note, so there is no way to copy /paste text from one note to another (see attached screenshot). While in the note body there's a weird toolbar that seems to have no effect for this function. This began after the most recent Evernote update (version 7.11 GA) which is the latest version.  I'm  on a Samsung Galaxy Android  (OS is up to date).  I've also checked my husband's phone (same as mine) and same problem on his Evernote app.  There is one other posting about this issue but no one posted a fix.  I only have "free" version of Evernote so can't submit a support ticket on this issue.  Thanks for any ideas or help.  I've used Evernote for many years and it's a problem as I have many Notes, often use copy/paste to transfer text from one Note to another so other than going back to Microsoft One Note, I'm not sure what to do about this increasing frustrating problem.  Any help or ideas?  

no copy-paste toolbar in note body.pdf

Can't copy/paste in text in body of a note:  The toolbar  with the normal "copy/paste" options icons only appear when selecting (long press) text on the note title itself, but not on body of note, so there is no way to copy /paste text from one note to another. While in the note body there's a weird toolbar that seems to have no effect for this function which only has as "PS"  ,  "A=" , and "Simplify Formatting" and none of these choices will allow to "copy" and/or "paste" any text that appears in the body of a note. This began after the most recent Evernote update (version 7.11 GA) which is the latest version.  I'm  on a Samsung Galaxy Android  (OS is up to date).  I've also checked my husband's phone (same as mine) and same problem on his Evernote app.  There is one other posting about this issue but no one posted a fix.  I only have "free" version of Evernote so can't submit a support ticket on this issue.  Thanks for any ideas or help.  I've used Evernote for many years and it's a problem as I have many Notes, often use copy/paste to transfer text from one Note to another so other than going back to Microsoft One Note, I'm not sure what to do about this increasing frustrating problem.  Any help or ideas?  

• Level 5*

Hi.  I'm using a Galaxy Note 4 and long press in both the note body and title gets me the little slider highlight bar and a 'copy' option - unless I have previously copied something,  when it becomes 'paste'.  Can't work out what your 'PS' toolbar is..  'A=' toggles another editing toolbar at the bottom of the note.  I can copy from one note body to another.

Any chance you can provide a screen shot of what you can see there?  (My screenshots are activated by the side of the hand swiped across the whole screen.)

I have precisely the same issue.  Lost the ability to copy/paste within the body of a note on the Android platform.  Please see attached image.  Running android version 5.0  

Can't seem to find a way to get back these basic functions..  Thank you!!!  

tempFileForShare_2017-07-07-15-22-53.jpg

Hi Buczp & Gazumped:  Thanks for your responses. I'm not sure if this is the right way for me to respond to your individual replies to my posting, but I still have the copy/paste issues on my Android (Galaxy S4) phone, which never began until EverNote's last update.  Anyway, to Gazumped:  if you can view the screenshot that Buczp posted today, this is the "toolbar" icons which I also have (I wasn't able to attach my own screenshots after your reply Gazumped, apparently the file size was too large and I couldn't figure out how to make the file size smaller). Anyway, you get the idea from Buczp's image.  This issue only occurs with my Android phone platform (same on my husband's Android), but not with my Windows PC Desktop version of Evernote.  As we're all on the go with our phones nowadays, it's a real pain not have to enter text which I want into a note manually.

I'm at the point now where I don't know if I should return back to OneNote or continue to struggle with EverNote hoping they'll address this issue in a future update.  Since I am a "free" user, I don't have access to EverNote's email tech support or even their other methods of tech support to notice them of this buggy issue, so I believe they're not even aware of it and so probably it won't ever get addressed.  I can't believe that Buczp and I are the only Android users experiencing this...but who knows.  

Anyone else out there with the same problem, please post here or better yet, it you have some tech support access, let the EverNote gods at least know about the issue.  And if anybody has figured out a fix PLEASE let us all know!  Best, Catrina.

• Level 5*

Yep - I'm intrigued now too.  Can't work out what the PS is - does anything happen when you tap it?.  I don't believe I've ever seen that on my Android screen in any version.  The usual fix for anything mobile related is to uninstall and reinstall the app.  This won't affect the notes that you have already synced to the server.  Try that - and let us know if it helps!

If anyone else has better information,  please advise.

And Basic users can still contact Support via Twitter

• Level 5

@Catrina, I've also got a Galaxy S4 (a Note Edge) and the latest version of Evernote (7.11), and I don't see this problem. When I long-press a word, I get the expected menu popup; I don't get the toolbar with "PS" and Simplify Formatting (the latter only appears on the menu accessed by the 3-dot button in the top right corner; I never see "PS").

There is clearly something peculiar going on. What version of Evernote do you have? Is it by chance a beta version?

thanks for your help.  PS seems to perform a paste function.  I'm using Evernote Premium/paid version 7.11 GA on a Galaxy Note 3.

I just tried uninstalling updates taking it to version 5.8.5, rebooted and all my notes are gone!!!  However the copy/paste is back...

I'll try reinstalling the latest version now.... didn't work.  Same PS and Simplify Formatting menu.

i did not see an option to uninstall Evernote completely from the Galaxy, only uninstall updates (which I did above).  

Thanks for your help guys..

• Level 5

Here are a couple of other thoughts. First, what versions of Android are you all running? It's conceivable (I guess) that the current version of EN might appear and work differently on older Android versions. Second, did you download and install Evernote directly from Google Play, or was it included on your device when you bought it? Sometimes device manufacturers include versions of Evernote that are not quite the same as the official distributions. But I think that's more likely to happen on Windows devices than on Android.

• Level 5
10 minutes ago, buczp said:

yes, it appears that Evernote was part of the Android from the factory, therefore I cannot seem to uninstall it.

Well, I'm afraid that at that point I'm out of my depth. Unless someone else here has a suggestion, I'd suggest contacting Evernote support and sending them that screenshot with no copy/paste menu and the "PS" toolbar. Maybe they'll recognize what they're seeing! Hopefully they'd also have a suggestion about replacing the factory-installed version with the latest update from Google Play.

• Level 5*

Back in 2014 there was a promotion for Galaxy phones with Evernote pre-installed.  There was a folder in Apps for Galaxy Gifts (or Plus,  or Essentials,  or some such) which 'hid' the icon away.  You could find (I guess) that you have Evernote installed twice,  or there's some conflict between the two apps...  Either way the pre-installed version could not be removed.  I think the only way to use and upgrade it was just to log in from the special folder with your normal user details and allow the app to upgrade itself as necessary.  You could find that Samsung or your carrier's help will know more about this than Evernote.

Can I ask -

11 hours ago, buczp said:

yes, it appears that Evernote was part of the Android from the factory

- how do you know?  Nothing in the screenshots you attached shows the app - that's all (and only) about Android 5.  Did you have some other documentation about pre-installed apps?  Because that same documentation should tell you how to find it...

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

It was in this earlier post in the thread:

Sorry:  me being obscure - when @buczp said -

14 hours ago, buczp said:

Evernote was part of the Android from the factory

I wondered how he knew this - can't see anything in the thread so far that definitely brands the app as Evernote Samsung or otherwise different from the standard model - apart from that darned "PS" thing...

All:

I have exactly the same issue with the recent mangling of the tool bar AFTER selecting a piece of text. If Not in Edit mode, then it displays

PS A SIMPLIFY FORMATTING <the copy icon>

but in EDIT mode it shows what other folks have seen, that is :

PS A SIMPLIFY FORMATTING <the cut icon>

Platform information: Moto X (Gen 2), Android version 5.1

Evernote: version 7.11 GA

Can somebody from Evernote please look at this issue?

Thank you for your time.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, buczp said:

I've submitted this URL and dialog exchange to Evernote tech support, will let everyone know what I hear back!

Good move. I look forward to hearing what you find out. Clearly not an isolated incident, with @EdKiefer now also reporting it--and not on a Samsung device either! Ed, is your version of Evernote one that you downloaded yourself, or was it pre-installed on the phone? That's beginning to look like it might be the issue. I wonder if you can confirm whether it is possible to uninstall EN on your device (you don't actually have to uninstall it, but is it possible to do so?).

• Level 5
1 hour ago, EdKiefer said:

I should have attached my logs.

My Evernote was downloaded from Google Play, so it could possibly be uninstalled. That was verified in Settings>Apps info. 

Ed

Thanks. I guess we can cross off that explanation.

I received this response from Evernote support:

Hello Peter,

Thanks for reaching out to Evernote. 

I understand you are unable to copy/paste on your Samsung device.

Im afraid this is a issue we are currently aware of. We are working to get this fixed as quickly as possible, we expect this to be resolved in the next update.

Please keep an eye out on the Google Play store for updates.

I'm just thrilled this has now been submitted to Support, that they're aware of it and plan to address in next update - Yahoo!!!  Thanks so much for doing this Buczp - you're awesome!  And thanks to everyone for participating in this discussion thread by taking the time to add your experience with the issue and to troubleshoot possible causes and/or fixes.  And to Dave-in-Decatur:  I also downloaded the App from the PlayStore (it wasn't preinstalled on my Galaxy S4).  I just dreaded even thinking about the huge hassle and waste of time/energy of going back to OneNote.  Hopefully, the issue will get fixed in the next update and all affected will be back to "business as usual."  Thank you, thank you, thank you again everyone!  Catrina.

• Level 5
On 7/10/2017 at 2:49 PM, buczp said:

I received this response from Evernote support:

Hello Peter,

Thanks for reaching out to Evernote. 

I understand you are unable to copy/paste on your Samsung device.

Im afraid this is a issue we are currently aware of. We are working to get this fixed as quickly as possible, we expect this to be resolved in the next update.

Please keep an eye out on the Google Play store for updates.

Good to know they're working on it. It's really puzzling that it shows up on some Samsung devices and not others (but also on a Moto). It would be great if tech support could offer some idea on what that odd toolbar is, especially the "PS"; but perhaps they don't know either!

As a workaround till the fix is available, I wonder if you're able to paste into the quick note that's available in the notification panel pull-down. That would at least save the pasted material to a note in the default notebook, from where you might be able to do more with it.

Hello all,

Sorry for the late response in this matter, but the team currently has this issue corrected. You will be seeing this addressed in the next update available through the Google Play Store (Version 7.12).

Me too!  Happy, happy, happy that this Update works on my Samsung/Android phone as well.  Thanks again to the tech team that did the fix and all the users here who brought this issue to their attention.  And to Dave in Decatur:  have no idea what that "PS" or other weird stuff was on the toolbar--just glad it seems to be gone! 

• Level 5

Good to know that it got fixed! I'm still very puzzled that it was happening on some devices and not others. But I can understand why Evernote is not necessarily eager to share such things on a public forum. Sort of the same way I don't tell me wife everything that happens when I do her laundry.

Archived