Annotation always crashes Evernote

Hello,

I have been a user for evernote for a long time, and when the annotate pdfs feature was released I upgraded to a premium account. However, what I am noticing is that after annotating any PDF, the application crashes. On larger pdfs its within a few seconds of trying to annotate, on smaller ones (ones I have printed to a new PDF to mitigate the size issue), it takes longer.

Regardless of what I do, the application crashes within a few minutes of annotating a PDF, which is extremely frustrating since many other options out there can do this with no issue.

I do not have this issue with Skitch, but I shouldn't have to use a secondary application to perform this workflow, as its specifically designed to allow it.

Please let me know what debug information you require. Its very disruptive to my work flow to have the application crash so regularly.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Isabello said:

Regardless of what I do, the application crashes within a few minutes of annotating a PDF, which is extremely frustrating since many other options out there can do this with no issue.

I'll try and duplicate this if you post a link to a note with one of your problem pdfsu

So far, I've not experienced this issue.  I just annotated a large pdf with no problem

My usual practice is to use dedicated apps for these external processes.  The Evernote annotator is a nice-to-have but I like the expanded featureset

Hi @Isabello

Thanks for reporting this. Please submit a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can gather your activity log and have our technical support reps look into this. Let me know if you have any issues creating a ticket!

• 2 months later...

I have the same issue. Everytime I try to annotated, the window popups up but if I click somewhere (toolbar, document, ...) Evernote crashes.

The problem is not specific to one PDF, it happens with every PDF.

I'm running El capitan 10.11.6, Evernote 6.12.1

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem with Evernote crashing during annotation.  One of the top three reasons I upgraded my account to premium.  I am using my ipad and stylus to annotate/draw on PDFs as a way of taking notes in my classes (current PhD studen).  At least this was the plan. No luck yet.  Please help.  I am working in an iPad Air 2.

Also I have updated and even reinstalled application. Still a problem.

• Level 5*
On 2017-10-05 at 4:15 PM, BryonInHigherEd said:

I have the same problem with Evernote crashing during annotation.  One of the top three reasons I upgraded my account to premium.  I am using my ipad and stylus to annotate/draw on PDFs as a way of taking notes in my classes (current PhD studen).  At least this was the plan. No luck yet.  Please help.  I am working in an iPad Air 2.

Also I have updated and even reinstalled application. Still a problem.

You’re posting in the Mac Forum so it’s probably unrelated to the ops issue.

I’d suggest reporting in the IOS forum, and as per previous posts open a support ticket

btw  I’m not having a problem with annotations on my iPad    iPad Pro, IOS 11.0.2, EN  8.4.1 (357747)

• 1 month later...

I am having the same issue on an IPAD Air (annotation crashes Evernote); the issue began a few days ago.

1. Is there a fix for this?

2.  If I delete and reinstall Evernote, will I lose all my saved documents?

Thx

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, JB10 said:

2.  If I delete and reinstall Evernote, will I lose all my saved documents?

The master version of your data is stored on the Evernote servers (assuming the sync process is running)
You can check your data on the servers using the web platform (www.evernote.com)

Deleting/Reinstalling the app will not cause losing your saved documents

Note: If you use offline notebook feature, the data will be re-downloaded

• 1 month later...

Same problem here with El Capitan 10.11.6. When I open annotations mode, Evernote automatically crashes.

I am working with the free plan version and would like to upgrade to premium version, but if annotation mode doesn't work it wouldn't be worth it to me.

I would be very pleased if you can help me with this issue.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I am fed up with loosing my annotations when Evernote crashes... this did not use to be an issue. Annotations were always automatically saved before, but now I work away on a note for an hour or two and lose everything - or have to save every couple of minutes. This is a real pain! 

I've just spent hours again annotating... and despite saving all my annotations (by clicking "File" and "Save" every couple minutes) .. Evernote has crashed again and NONE of the annotations have been saved.. PLEASE HELP!

I'm going to have to leave Evernote at this rate and stick with printing files out. With this problem, and the complete indifference shown when I complained about the "notebook view" changing to one long list.. I'm very disappointed with Evernote and am looking to change the system I use. 

Has the management changed or the company been sold in the last couple of years? It seems it's changed for the worse - such a shame because this was a really great programme to use when I first starting using it a few years ago. 

Archived