What happened to all of my notebooks???

Pretty much all of my notes - more than a thousand - are now in an "old skitch" notebook.  Most of the other notebooks have zero notes.  All of the livescribe pages, what used to be called the skitch notebook is just gone.  What the heck?  

I don't know when this happened - it wasn't something that I did - I would remember systematically emptying each and every notebook in my account.

Has this happened to anyone else??

Version 6.11.1 (455061 App Store)

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, jamiesmithnc said:

Pretty much all of my notes - more than a thousand - are now in an "old skitch" notebook.  Most of the other notebooks have zero notes.  All of the livescribe pages, what used to be called the skitch notebook is just gone.  What the heck?  

Check the master copy of your notes on the Evernote servers using the web platform (www.evernote.com)
Rule out a device error

I don't spend much time troubleshooting my devices?  My resolution would be

1. Reboot your Mac, it solves many issues
  2. Delete the Evernote app, database, ...  
    The app AppCleaner is recommended for this.  
    Reinstall and let the database be rebuilt from the servers.  
    Warning; the rebuild doesn't include Local Notebooks or unsynced  notes
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, jamiesmithnc said:

I already checked on the web.  Wrong there, too.

I have started moving the easy ones back (lined journals, skitch).

Something this catastrophic has never happened to me,  but this type of thing is why I always recommend backups - electronic data 'should' never get corrupted,  but sometimes bad things happen and a backup can save you a lot of work...

Is there a backup/restore plan posted somewhere?  I would love to set up a weekly cron job with a rotation after all of that happened

I am guessing that it happened when using the betas, trying to get around when they broke the formatting

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, jamiesmithnc said:

Is there a backup/restore plan posted somewhere?  I would love to set up a weekly cron job with a rotation after all of that happened

I am guessing that it happened when using the betas, trying to get around when they broke the formatting

There's no formal backup/restore plan.

Evernote has an export/import feature (Mac/Win) that works well.  Documentation at  https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005557-How-to-back-up-export-and-restore-import-notes-and-notebooks 

Be aware that notebook information is not maintained so many users use a separate export for each Notebook.

There are third party products that simplify the process, for example Backupery

I have a weekly backup of my notebooks but I've never had a catatastrophic failure like you experienced.  My need is more recovering data at the individual note level.  To facilitate this, I have daily incremental backups of changed notes.  I also rely on the Evernote Note History backup (paid feature)

• Level 5*
On 6/27/2017 at 9:10 PM, jamiesmithnc said:

I don't know when this happened - it wasn't something that I did - I would remember systematically emptying each and every notebook in my account.

Has this happened to anyone else??

Version 6.11.1 (455061 App Store)

Sorry to hear about your troubles.  In the interest of avoiding such a problem in the future, I would offer these comments:

• It is highly unlikely that Evernote did this without any direction from you.
    • I've never had Evernote move or change Notes to other notebooks in the 8+ years I've been using it
    • Nor have I ever heard of this happening to others, and I tend to follow EN Mac topics closely in this forum
    • I'm not saying it is impossible, but just unlikely, and you would be best served by exploring other causes.
  • It is actually quite easy to move a lot, even all, of your Notes to another Notebook with one command.
    • Click on "All Notes" to show all of your Notes, and then CMD-A to select all of them
    • Then do any one of these actions:
      • Click on the "Move to Notebook" button
      • Press ⌘⌃M
      • Go to Menu Note > Move to Notebook
    • Maybe you were intending to move just a few notes, or the notes in one Notebook, but accidently had chosen "All Notes"
  • I hope you find this helpful.
On 6/28/2017 at 8:06 AM, jamiesmithnc said:

Is there a backup/restore plan posted somewhere?

Since you are using a Mac, Time Machine is your easiest and best backup solution.

You may also want to review:

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Archived