Evernote to End Support for Blackberry and Windows Phone (discussion)

As of June 29, 2017, we’ll be discontinuing support for BlackBerry and Windows Phone. If you currently use Evernote on these platforms, you may continue to do so. Evernote, however, will no longer be available for download on these devices and we won’t be making any further updates.

Your notes and notebooks will not be affected by this change. As always, any notes you’ve saved and synced to Evernote will always be available to you on Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, or via your desktop web browser. Learn more

*If you're new to our forums and would like to join the discussion, click "Sign In" at the top right, enter your Evernote account info, select a Display Name and you're all set. Welcome to our community!*

• gbarry pinned this topic

I was just shocked when I read this. I followed some discussions for a while and got the final result: You really don´t like Windows Users.

The main reasons, why I decided to use Evernote, were:
1/ Nice user interface on the PC
2/ Really useful user interface on my tablet (touch)
3/ Works fine on my mobile phone

In the past you decided to end any useful touch interface (touch support does not exist since a longer time), now you decided to end Evernote on Windows Phone. And I´m sure you know, that it´s not useful, when you write "If you currently use Evernote on these platforms, you may continue to do so.", because you definitly know, that sometimes people get a new phone or need to reinstall or something. And of course you know, life cycles of phones are really short. Wouldn´t it be fair to say the truth instead of such phrases?

Well, 66,67% of the main reasons are gone now because Evernote decided to end. Sad, that I already paid until May 2018. On the other side, enough time to move all data to another system.

By the way, 3 months of Evernote Premium without charging is not a "consolation", it´s a slap in the face of a paying customer.

Finally, I know, I am just an Evernote Plus User and it´s not a big thing for you, that I will cancel my account according to the conditions. As I wrote above, it´s just sad how you handle Windows Users.

I was so sorry to read this by email today. I wish a bit more notice could have been given, though I appreciate that I can continue to use the app on my phone until I'm up to speed with OneNote. I can't tell you how useful Evernote has been for me and I'm genuinely gutted at this decision. I'm afraid I won't be renewing again as a premium user this autumn.

I am a BlackBerry user and extremely disappointed that you have decided to drop support. I have used BlackBerry phones for years and have yet to find anything remotely comparable in other phones. The speed ease and functionality is tops and ahead of other phones. I really only have been able to compare closely to the I-phone and have continued frustration getting the I-phone to be any comparison at all. My Wife has had  I-phones and I am for ever having to straighten out issues on ithem and it is absolutely a dog when it comes to Internet and syncing with Evernote. I would agree that if you are a games and app junky the I-phone is superior but for work there is no comparison. Therefore the reason for my disappointment with Evernote for dropping BlackBerry. I am a Evernote Premuim user. And I  just renewed my subscription. Not pleased at all. It looks like I will have to look for another place to store my notes. I was just heralding Evernote for the great system it was but it looks like that has suddenly changed. Sorry

1 hour ago, Herbert Täubler said:

I was just shocked when I read this. I followed some discussions for a while and got the final result: You really don´t like Windows Users.

In the past you decided to end any useful touch interface (touch support does not exist since a longer time), now you decided to end Evernote on Windows Phone. And I´m sure you know, that it´s not useful, when you write "If you currently use Evernote on these platforms, you may continue to do so.", because you definitly know, that sometimes people get a new phone or need to reinstall or something. And of course you know, life cycles of phones are really short. Wouldn´t it be fair to say the truth instead of such phrases?

Well, 66,67% of the main reasons are gone now because Evernote decided to end. Sad, that I already paid until May 2018. On the other side, enough time to move all data to another system.

By the way, 3 months of Evernote Premium without charging is not a "consolation", it´s a slap in the face of a paying customer.

Finally, I know, I am just an Evernote Plus User and it´s not a big thing for you, that I will cancel my account according to the conditions. As I wrote above, it´s just sad how you handle Windows Users.

I absolutely agree. Poor service, insufficient notice - just plain arrogant!

Serious segregation. Windows phone is the third most popular platform (second if you factor in iPhone and Android are on the same OS) and you can't be bothered developing it. What will become of Windows (desktop) development? As one of the many Windows Phone devotees I am disgusted at this poor decision. Going back to free account.:angry:

I'm with Herbert on this one.  It's taken me two years to move everything off of Android and onto the growing Windows platform.  This is a big step backwards for Evernote to cut out a growing share of the market.  And unbelievable that you would give four days' notice.  How about four months?  Horrible, horrible decision.  Very disappointing.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, KEK99 said:

I'm with Herbert on this one.  It's taken me two years to move everything off of Android and onto the growing Windows platform.  This is a big step backwards for Evernote to cut out a growing share of the market.  And unbelievable that you would give four days' notice.  How about four months?  Horrible, horrible decision.  Very disappointing.

Note this notice relates to Windows/Blackberry Phones

I think Windows platform support is safe for a while; but you could switch to a Mac  :)

I am also very disappointed to see this. Sure, I get that a Windows Phone app by itself doesn't make sense, but then the Windows 10 store app needs to be updated to become truly UWP, or at least a mobile web version should be available.

I am thankful that in the short-term the app will run on my phone, but I will also be prepping to make the final transfer over to OneNote.

This gives me enough time to cancel my Premium subscription next month when it comes up for renewal. 

Sad, since my participation in Evernote goes back to 2008, and one of the first 4300 users.

10 hours ago, Herbert Täubler said:

Herbert,

Evernote Touch was discontinued a while back. While the touch interface can be useful, it wasn't the best experience for note taking. Touch features on desktop computers has never fully taken off either, so it made more sense to focus on the PC, Mac, iOS, and Android clients that dominate the market. I understand every person has their own personal preference when it comes to what devices they like, but Evernote made this decision to improve the product on its core platforms and discontinue support for the clients where there was very little user adoption rates in.

9 hours ago, Fromeflyer said:

I absolutely agree. Poor service, insufficient notice - just plain arrogant!

This notice is just letting you know that Evernote Customer Support will no longer support these clients after the given date. You can continue to use the app, but no future updates or support will be offered if writing in for help. It's difficult to make each user happy with their preferred client and sometimes tough decisions have to be made. The shifting of these resources will further improve the other major clients.

6 hours ago, KEK99 said:

You can continue to use the application on these devices. This notice is just stating no app updates or customer support will be offered after this date. The adoption rate of Blackberry and Windows Phone is much smaller compared to the Android/iOS, Mac and PC clients. While each person has their personal preference, it made more sense to shift resources to further improving the Evernote app for the other major clients.

Hello.

I accepted higher price for Evernote Premium. Windows Phone is good and regularly updated system. I like to have supported Evernote on my phone. I am very dissapointed that Evernote ended support for this platform. I know I can use it further but after reinstall it will not be accessable in the store and could not use this paid services on my primary mobile device. The big advatage of Evernote is support on all platforms. Change your decision, Evernote team, please. Maybe it is time to  change to MS OneNote - free of charge. 

OneNote is for all platforms now. Importer from Evernote is available. Basically the same functionality without additional costs. No support for the new stylus Adonit in Evernotes app Penultimate. I have started first test with the Importer right now...

3 hours ago, Tophuriouss said:

Herbert,

Evernote Touch was discontinued a while back. While the touch interface can be useful, it wasn't the best experience for note taking. Touch features on desktop computers has never fully taken off either, so it made more sense to focus on the PC, Mac, iOS, and Android clients that dominate the market. I understand every person has their own personal preference when it comes to what devices they like, but Evernote made this decision to improve the product on its core platforms and discontinue support for the clients where there was very little user adoption rates in.

Evernote team, you can see, what your your customers think about your approach. 

11 hours ago, DTLow said:

Note this notice relates to Windows/Blackberry Phones

I think Windows platform support is safe for a while; but you could switch to a Mac  :)

This should be not the right place to discuss about Windows vs Mac. Customers have reasons, why they use Windows Phone. The point is, that i paid for a solution, that worked on all 3 devices. Finally it works on only 1 device properly (yes, it runs on the tablet, but it´s more or less not to handle if you can only use the touch interface.

4 hours ago, Tophuriouss said:

Herbert,

It´s a while back, of course - but this does not make anything better? With the touch interface it was great to work on the tablet, now it´s nearly impossible to use it without keyboard/mouse. 

What is "the best experience"? And how should I "focus on the PC", when I´m on field service? Of course, I can use a piece of paper and a pencil, can´t I?

I do not need all features from the desktop version on my mobile phone or tablet. I just need a system working on all devices, even with different or less features.

4 hours ago, Tophuriouss said:

You can continue to use the application on these devices. This notice is just stating no app updates or customer support will be offered after this date. The adoption rate of Blackberry and Windows Phone is much smaller compared to the Android/iOS, Mac and PC clients. While each person has their personal preference, it made more sense to shift resources to further improving the Evernote app for the other major clients.

As the app will be removed from the store, it´s just a question of time until you can not longer use it. I made a decision for Evernote when working on all my 3 Windows devices. Now it´s just 1, where you can really use it. Again, sad that the payment for the next year was done by last month.

You can still access and use Evernote across all other major platforms. The market share of Windows Phone is less than 1% and as a business decision it makes more sense for Evernote to devote those humans and resources to improving the application across PC, Mac, Android, and iOS. It's not just Evernote that's leaving Windows Phone behind. PayPal, Amazon, and even Bank of America have stopped supporting the platform (although BoA did come back for Windows 10). More developers are devoting their resources to the other major platforms. 

If the decision to drop support really bothers you and you are eligible for a refund, then please reach out to Evernote Support. The Evernote app for PC and Web have gone through vast improvements, so if you have access to these outside your Windows Phone or Blackberry device, then I highly advise using them more.

OneNote may be free, but you'll be losing a dedicated support team and many other features that Microsoft doesn't offer.

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, drwain said:

Serious segregation. Windows phone is the third most popular platform (second if you factor in iPhone and Android are on the same OS) and you can't be bothered developing it. What will become of Windows (desktop) development? As one of the many Windows Phone devotees I am disgusted at this poor decision. Going back to free account.:angry:

Well, third most popular at 1% or so isn't going to generate a lot of development activity I am afraid to say.  Unrelated to Windows desktop which has a large market share and users.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Herbert Täubler said:

What is "the best experience"? And how should I "focus on the PC", when I´m on field service?

I'm sure Android/IOS tablets are a safe bet for the future.

37 minutes ago, Tophuriouss said:

You can still access and use Evernote across all other major platforms. The market share of Windows Phone is less than 1% and as a business decision it makes more sense for Evernote to devote those humans and resources to improving the application across PC, Mac, Android, and iOS. It's not just Evernote that's leaving Windows Phone behind. PayPal, Amazon, and even Bank of America have stopped supporting the platform (although BoA did come back for Windows 10). More developers are devoting their resources to the other major platforms. 

If the decision to drop support really bothers you and you are eligible for a refund, then please reach out to Evernote Support. The Evernote app for PC and Web have gone through vast improvements, so if you have access to these outside your Windows Phone or Blackberry device, then I highly advise using them more.

True, Windows PHONE is pretty well dead, but Windows 10 is alive and well. if Evernote is really committed to making itself accessible virtually everywhere they need to either make their web version mobile friendly or move further along in making their Windows 10 app a universal app (UWP). Their desktop app on the Windows Store is OK, but even as such lacks significantly, and is not really that easy to use on Windows tablets, etc. By fixing this, they would solve the problem for those of us who use Windows 10 Mobile as well. Obviously, so far their commitment has been just lip service, which (even though I like Evernote for certain things) is leading me to switch over to OneNote where at least there is commitment to Windows as a whole (and much more than phone/mobile). This is about much more than Windows Phone. Certainly, Evernote has the right to support whatever platforms it chooses, but if they continue disregarding Windows they will lose whatever foothold they have there. 

26 minutes ago, Tophuriouss said:

OneNote may be free, but you'll be losing a dedicated support team and many other features that Microsoft doesn't offer.

That sounds fine, but in real life it´s not important for me, if Evernote is available on all other major platforms. There are reasons why I am working 100% on Windows platforms and it would be an enormous effort to change an operating system. Finally I have choosed and paid Evernote for all Windows operating systems.
Regarding "reach out to Evernote Support" - Evernote will do the same as they did regarding the touch interface: Nothing.

Maybe Microsoft offers less features then Evernote, but it runs fine on my Windows Phone.

3 hours ago, Herbert Täubler said:

It does not make any sense to buy a new hardware with a different operating system just for 1 app.

hi Herbert, 

Win Mobile is certainly not getting much in the way of support by Microsoft for the time being. However, have you considered a Win10 tablet ? (10/12 inch with LTE). Full Windows version. Does not have to be the over-priced Surface Pro. What's more you will love OneNote on a Win10 tablet. I got one, bought it just after Win10 came out, cheap Acer model,  Wifi only, My experience with Evernote on that tablet is disastrous. Neither the Web version nor the Win version are any use for editing. Totally different experience with OneNote. 

So, jetzt noch ein paar Sätze auf deutsch, denke du sprichst die Sprache. Für das Geld von EN Prem kannst du dir Office365 holen, inkl. 1 TB OneDrive Speicherplatz.  In .de ist der M$ Support sagenhaft gut. Keine 08/15 Phrasen sondern wirkliche Hilfe. Beim großen Fluß neulich eine HomeLizenz geholt für gerade mal 49 Teuronen. Home bedeutet 5 User, jeweils inkl. 1 TB Speicherplatz. Der Webclipper von M$ ist inzwischen so gut wie der von EN.  Was formatieren von Texten und alles andere angeht, farbig gestalten,  beim Drucken kein Verrutschen von Text , problemloser Export in pdf, usw. usw. - alles problemlos.   Ich ziehe auch gerade peu à peu um, spare ab nächstem Jahr etliches Geld, habe bessere Kontrolle über meine Daten und rege mich nicht mehr über die gebetsmühlenhaften Wiederholungen von den Experten hier auf.

14 hours ago, JohnLongney said:

hi Herbert, 

Win Mobile is certainly not getting much in the way of support by Microsoft for the time being. However, have you considered a Win10 tablet ? (10/12 inch with LTE). Full Windows version. Does not have to be the over-priced Surface Pro. What's more you will love OneNote on a Win10 tablet. I got one, bought it just after Win10 came out, cheap Acer model,  Wifi only, My experience with Evernote on that tablet is disastrous. Neither the Web version nor the Win version are any use for editing. Totally different experience with OneNote. 

So, jetzt noch ein paar Sätze auf deutsch, denke du sprichst die Sprache. Für das Geld von EN Prem kannst du dir Office365 holen, inkl. 1 TB OneDrive Speicherplatz.  In .de ist der M$ Support sagenhaft gut. Keine 08/15 Phrasen sondern wirkliche Hilfe. Beim großen Fluß neulich eine HomeLizenz geholt für gerade mal 49 Teuronen. Home bedeutet 5 User, jeweils inkl. 1 TB Speicherplatz. Der Webclipper von M$ ist inzwischen so gut wie der von EN.  Was formatieren von Texten und alles andere angeht, farbig gestalten,  beim Drucken kein Verrutschen von Text , problemloser Export in pdf, usw. usw. - alles problemlos.   Ich ziehe auch gerade peu à peu um, spare ab nächstem Jahr etliches Geld, habe bessere Kontrolle über meine Daten und rege mich nicht mehr über die gebetsmühlenhaften Wiederholungen von den Experten hier auf.

Hi John,

danke für deine Worte - Office 365 hatte ich bereits und die Umstellung auf OneNote ist de facto erledigt. Mit Microsoft hab ich Großteils wirklich gute Erfahrungen gemacht - und perfekt muss ja eh niemand sein ;-) Mir hat damals Evernote besser gefallen, vom Aufbau, von der Synchronisation (und wie schon erwähnt auch auf allen 3 Geräten lauffähig) - und warum soll man für etwas Gutes nicht auch mal Geld ausgeben? Manchmal werden Apps ja "verschlimmbessert", wovon hier ja keine Rede sein kann. Evernote hat ja aus meiner Sicht 2 von 3 Produkten eingestellt (und dass das "kannst ja die Windows Phone-Version eh weiter verwenden" lediglich ein Schönreden ist, ist eh klar) und macht, genau so wie bei der Touch-Unterstützung auf totschweigen. Glücklicherweise bin ich nur mit meiner Frau verheiratet und nicht mit Evernote :-D

Den Webclipper hab ich noch nicht probiert, steht aber bereits auf meiner to do-Liste.

Danke nochmals für dein Posting & sorry fürs Abgleiten ins Off Topic :-)

Can you (Evernote) please make it clear that you are discontinuing support for the BB10 and BBOS Evernote clients?  The more recent BlackBerry phones (PRIV, DTEK50, DTEK60 and KEYone) are running Android and therefore your Android apps will be supported, etc.  Just want to make sure there is no confusion.

I am really very disappointed with the decision, I am a Blackberry user, BB10 is the fastest, and most fluid system I have ever used, I would keep using Evernote on my BB Devices, if I wiped my phone can I still find the app in my history of downloads or it will be gone, I wish Evernote will reconsider their decision.

This would have been a big deal for me a couple years back, but Evernote's lack of commitment to Windows phone has been apparent for a while. (Using Evernote on my Lumia 640 has basically been an unstable dumpster fire for the last 18 months). I've loved this incredibly affordable phone, and despite all, I still believe the windows phone OS is the best I've ever used for how I actually use a phone on a daily basis... but this chapter is closing: my new iPhone arrives on Friday. :huh:

It is sad but I have started moving to OneNote. I am an all Windows user. As per the rumors Microsoft new mobile device will be some variation of Windows on ARM. By the end of the year some of these devices will start arriving. Microsoft CEO had mentioned sometime back that their mobile device will not be like current phones anyway. But when such mobile devices actually emerge is another thing.  In the meantime if my 950XL breaks I will probably go with Android and continue using OneNote. It appears OneNote is a lot more versatile that I had thought initially.

Yesterday I migrated my notes to OneNote and was surprised how far it has come along (shouldn't be surprised).

I have no intention of moving off Windows - phone, tablet or other. It just makes sense when you work off a Windows laptop to use Windows phone.

Also, I have Office365 so why not use OneNote. Integrates much better with other O365 apps that I use everyday.

This Evernote decision has been a positive one after all. 

As for Evernotes response to my post being "irresponsible" (which has been removed) they should look at their own actions and customer communications. Yes you can still use the app....until...

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, drwain said:

As for Evernotes response to my post being "irresponsible"

I haven't seen any Evernote posts in this discussion other than the initial announcement.

If you use various devices, I'd consider how important the phone is in my workflow
If my only device was a Windows phone, I'd be planning my exit from Evernote.  
There's no rush, you have time to consider your options

For sure, there are alternatives to the Evernote service; with plus and minus points.
When comparing the different services, I'd carefully consider the features I need.  
One important point for me is that it be easy to export my data.  I do not want to be locked in

On June 27, 2017 at 0:08 PM, Tophuriouss said:

What difference does it make if Evernote chooses not to support Windows or BlackBerry. Not a very dedicated support team in my opinion. May as well have one note with out support. Same thing. 

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Homesteader said:

May as well have one note with out support. Same thing. 

Not sure what you mean by this

>>Not a very dedicated support team in my opinion.

Check the first message in this discussion; We're being told after June 29 there will be no support dedicated to Blackberry/Windows Phone

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Not sure what you mean by this

If OneNote doesn't have a great support staff neither does Evernote for Windows phone Nor Blackberry seeing they have removed support for these platforms. So really what is the difference I may as well go to OneNote.  I'll have little or no support either way. 

@Homesteader

to my understanding you can even get the full Office OneNote app for free (Microsoft account necessary - no costs). 

I smile at the idea of no support by Microsoft. Whilst a non-payer may not be eligiible for chat support, however I can vet for the M$ support forum being closely monitored and attended by Microsoft staff. The vast Evernote improvements for Windows PC and Web are yet to arrive at my end. Synchro works, cannot deny, but so does M$ synchro. 

As for the editor, those who know Evernote but rely on what they read or experienced a year or so ago are not not qualified to pass  judgment on the latest build of OneNote. You'd be surprised - and go quiet - just as I did. Locked in?  Don't worry,  export formats  include doc, docx, pdf, mht, xml.

Indeed, what an arrogant action to ditch Microsoft phone users just like that. That's a real slap and what with  Win users treated as second grade customers anyway another masterpiece of Evernote customer handling. The thing is, phonewise there may be a majority of Apple phone users in the US, but in Europe the prices and closed-circuit of the Apple world has given the Android OS strong support. Mac's used to be very good, but those who now want performance plus hardware independence go for Windows machines.

Dropping support for windows phone makes me sad. Seems I also have to give OneNote a try and I don't think I'll renew my premium. I really like using my WP and I like to have my notes offline with me in case there's no internet connection. So using evernote via the webui on my phone isn't really an option for me.

• Level 5*
On 6/26/2017 at 5:46 PM, drwain said:

Serious segregation. Windows phone is the third most popular platform (second if you factor in iPhone and Android are on the same OS) and you can't be bothered developing it. 

This statement is quite laughable. I could rephrase it as "Windows phone is the most popular mobile platform that hardly anybody uses." The mobile market is Android and iOS. You knew that when you got your Windows phone.

Years ago, much software development was done on one platform - Windows. With the popularity of MacOS and the explosion of mobile - essentially iOS and Android - lots of software has to be written for multiple platforms. But every software team has to decide where to cut things off. Otherwise, they'll spend all their time on development for marginal platforms and neglect feature improvements and bug fixes for the platforms that the vast majority of their clients use. That in turn puts them at risk of being outcompeted by a rival that is happy to concede the Windows phone, Blackberry, etc., platforms and is focused on the 99.6% of the mobile market that is Android and iOS.

As for Blackberry, while the BB keyboard I used a decade ago blows away every touchscreen keyboard, I've used since, even Blackberry understands that their OS is going the way of the dinosaur, which is why they now have an Android phone.

For those who want to complain about EN's decision, here is a dose of reality:

wST1R84.png

Source here: https://www.theverge.com/2017/2/16/14634656/android-ios-market-share-blackberry-2016

Windows phone is the "third most popular platform" at 0.3%. Blackberry rounds to 0.0%. Stick a fork in them, they're done. Both companies have already conceded as much in their recent product development decisions, so I don't see how Evernote can be blamed for following their lead. 

PS. Evernote, I wouldn't say no to a couple of months of Premium for helping drive some nails into the coffin of this discussion.  :P

I'm here to add my voice to the disappointment at Evernote discontinuing support for the BB10 OS. I do realize that BlackBerry itself is no longer putting BB10 into new phones; yet, there are still many of us who bought a brand new BB10 phone within the last 4 or 5 years, and continue to use it as a daily driver. One of the best and most used apps on my BB10 phone is Evernote, and its integration with Remember is ingenious.  As far as I know, there is nothing else like this integration with Evernote for Android. So even if I switch to a newer BlackBerry phone running Android, Evernote's functionality will feel crippled, compared to the way I'm able to use it on my BB10 device. What a huge loss. :-(

On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 9:15 PM, kate513940 said:

I was so sorry to read this by email today. I wish a bit more notice could have been given, though I appreciate that I can continue to use the app on my phone until I'm up to speed with OneNote. I can't tell you how useful Evernote has been for me and I'm genuinely gutted at this decision. I'm afraid I won't be renewing again as a premium user this autumn.

I've been gifted an iPhone. Sorry to be leaving my Windows Phone behind, but I really did prefer the experience of Evernote to OneNote. Horses for courses and the tail wagging the dog and all that, but windows phone always seems to have been the poor relation for apps, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better as market share declines.

And Microsoft has announced as of July 11, 2017 they are discontinuing support for Windows Phone 8.1. I wouldn't be surprised if Windows Phone 10 is added later in the year. And Microsoft gave no notice. Before lashing out at Evernote for discontinuing support, understand it was for business reasons and to face the reality that Android and iOS dominate the mobile market. Ultimately, Windows Phone is another casualty of the iPhone, and later Android smartphones, which completely upended the mobile phone industry a decade ago. Just ask BlackBerry, Nokia, or Palm.

On 26/6/2017 at 17:18, Homesteader dijo:

I am a BlackBerry user and extremely disappointed that you have decided to drop support. I have used BlackBerry phones for years and have yet to find anything remotely comparable in other phones. The speed ease and functionality is tops and ahead of other phones. I really only have been able to compare closely to the I-phone and have continued frustration getting the I-phone to be any comparison at all. My Wife has had  I-phones and I am for ever having to straighten out issues on ithem and it is absolutely a dog when it comes to Internet and syncing with Evernote. I would agree that if you are a games and app junky the I-phone is superior but for work there is no comparison. Therefore the reason for my disappointment with Evernote for dropping BlackBerry. I am a Evernote Premuim user. And I  just renewed my subscription. Not pleased at all. It looks like I will have to look for another place to store my notes. I was just heralding Evernote for the great system it was but it looks like that has suddenly changed. Sorry

I Agree. I will not change my phone just for an App. Same with Whatsapp, even though the decide to continue once again, 31/12/2017.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, alexcba said:

I Agree. I will not change my phone just for an App.

No one has asked you to change your phone
Currently, Evernote works on your phone, and will continue to do so for the immediate future

No action is required until you buy a new phone or reinstall software on your phone
Recommendation: If buying a new phone, for various reasons, stay away from BB or Windows

On 7/3/2017 at 4:24 PM, tavor said:

This statement is quite laughable. I could rephrase it as "Windows phone is the most popular mobile platform that hardly anybody uses." The mobile market is Android and iOS. You knew that when you got your Windows phone.

Years ago, much software development was done on one platform - Windows. With the popularity of MacOS and the explosion of mobile - essentially iOS and Android - lots of software has to be written for multiple platforms. But every software team has to decide where to cut things off. Otherwise, they'll spend all their time on development for marginal platforms and neglect feature improvements and bug fixes for the platforms that the vast majority of their clients use. That in turn puts them at risk of being outcompeted by a rival that is happy to concede the Windows phone, Blackberry, etc., platforms and is focused on the 99.6% of the mobile market that is Android and iOS.

As for Blackberry, while the BB keyboard I used a decade ago blows away every touchscreen keyboard, I've used since, even Blackberry understands that their OS is going the way of the dinosaur, which is why they now have an Android phone.

For those who want to complain about EN's decision, here is a dose of reality:

wST1R84.png

Source here: https://www.theverge.com/2017/2/16/14634656/android-ios-market-share-blackberry-2016

Windows phone is the "third most popular platform" at 0.3%. Blackberry rounds to 0.0%. Stick a fork in them, they're done. Both companies have already conceded as much in their recent product development decisions, so I don't see how Evernote can be blamed for following their lead. 

PS. Evernote, I wouldn't say no to a couple of months of Premium for helping drive some nails into the coffin of this discussion.  :P

Daaaayum. Checkmate. ;)

I'm new to this but sad to see the first thing I am learning is no more Evernote for Blackberry! I have had a Blackberry device of some sort since I got my first cellphone back in about 1998 and hands down BB's are THE BEST for business purposes than any other platform out there. I was considering paying for Evernote business but I guess I'll look into GOOGLE KEEP moving forward. What I'll never understand is why developers just quit supporting a certain platform when for the most part people are not going to throw their phones/investments away - they're going to keep using them until they have to buy a new one. At least I know I'm not tossing my $500ish phone because software is limited. I'll keep using it and figure out a way to get by.

Why not keep sending fixes for Evernote BB & Windows apps?

• Level 5*
On 7/24/2017 at 5:44 PM, RobertaJS1 said:

I'm new to this but sad to see the first thing I am learning is no more Evernote for Blackberry! I have had a Blackberry device of some sort since I got my first cellphone back in about 1998 and hands down BB's are THE BEST for business purposes than any other platform out there. I was considering paying for Evernote business but I guess I'll look into GOOGLE KEEP moving forward. What I'll never understand is why developers just quit supporting a certain platform when for the most part people are not going to throw their phones/investments away - they're going to keep using them until they have to buy a new one. At least I know I'm not tossing my $500ish phone because software is limited. I'll keep using it and figure out a way to get by.

^^^ In total denial of economic reality.

Please read this post: 

• Level 5*
On 2017-07-24 at 오후 2시 44분, RobertaJS1 said:

they're going to keep using them until they have to buy a new one. At least I know I'm not tossing my $500ish phone because software is limited. I'll keep using it and figure out a way to get by.

As per the notice:   If you currently use Evernote on these platforms, you may continue to do so.

• Level 5
On 7/24/2017 at 5:44 PM, RobertaJS1 said:

I would have to think that the reason is that it requires the time and effort of paid programmers to create these fixes, and with BB and Windows Phone operating systems not continiuing going forward, I can understand why Evernote would be unwilling to make that investment.

• 1 month later...

I love my WP Nokia 1520 but the time has come to move to Android.  Recent year cars have Android Auto and Apple but no windows.  MS has basically given up on WP so of course developers are not wasting time on 0.7% of the market and declining.   I am mostly on PC but traveling and in the car for Waze, maps, keeping up with news, e-mails etc.  WP has the apps required although been very frustrated with the mapping apps vs my standalone Garmin used for decades.    

I am waiting for the upcoming Pixal 2 or XL or LG V30 and a few other high-end Android phones which seem to have better initial pre-reviews than the latest Samsung.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lets face it, most companies, like it or not are now doing the same thing. With BB going more the way of Android anyway now its only a matter of time until the granddad of secure cell phones goes the way of the dinosaurs too. Its so sad to see, I love the old QWERTY keyboards!

Archived