• Announcements

    • gbarry

      Reach out to Evernote support on Twitter @EvernoteHelps   09/20/2016

      We've been leveling up our support across all channels. If you're active on Twitter, try your hand with our @evernotehelps feed. It's helmed by a crack team out of Austin, TX who are here to answer your questions. They're generally active from 7am-4pm CST.  https://twitter.com/evernotehelps  
gbarry

Evernote to End Support for Blackberry and Windows Phone (discussion)

Recommended Posts

As of June 29, 2017, we’ll be discontinuing support for BlackBerry and Windows Phone. If you currently use Evernote on these platforms, you may continue to do so. Evernote, however, will no longer be available for download on these devices and we won’t be making any further updates.

Your notes and notebooks will not be affected by this change. As always, any notes you’ve saved and synced to Evernote will always be available to you on Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, or via your desktop web browser. Learn more

*If you're new to our forums and would like to join the discussion, click "Sign In" at the top right, enter your Evernote account info, select a Display Name and you're all set. Welcome to our community!*

 

Share this post


Link to post

I was just shocked when I read this. I followed some discussions for a while and got the final result: You really don´t like Windows Users.

The main reasons, why I decided to use Evernote, were:
1/ Nice user interface on the PC
2/ Really useful user interface on my tablet (touch)
3/ Works fine on my mobile phone

In the past you decided to end any useful touch interface (touch support does not exist since a longer time), now you decided to end Evernote on Windows Phone. And I´m sure you know, that it´s not useful, when you write "If you currently use Evernote on these platforms, you may continue to do so.", because you definitly know, that sometimes people get a new phone or need to reinstall or something. And of course you know, life cycles of phones are really short. Wouldn´t it be fair to say the truth instead of such phrases?

Well, 66,67% of the main reasons are gone now because Evernote decided to end. Sad, that I already paid until May 2018. On the other side, enough time to move all data to another system.

By the way, 3 months of Evernote Premium without charging is not a "consolation", it´s a slap in the face of a paying customer.

Finally, I know, I am just an Evernote Plus User and it´s not a big thing for you, that I will cancel my account according to the conditions. As I wrote above, it´s just sad how you handle Windows Users.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I was so sorry to read this by email today. I wish a bit more notice could have been given, though I appreciate that I can continue to use the app on my phone until I'm up to speed with OneNote. I can't tell you how useful Evernote has been for me and I'm genuinely gutted at this decision. I'm afraid I won't be renewing again as a premium user this autumn.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I am a BlackBerry user and extremely disappointed that you have decided to drop support. I have used BlackBerry phones for years and have yet to find anything remotely comparable in other phones. The speed ease and functionality is tops and ahead of other phones. I really only have been able to compare closely to the I-phone and have continued frustration getting the I-phone to be any comparison at all. My Wife has had  I-phones and I am for ever having to straighten out issues on ithem and it is absolutely a dog when it comes to Internet and syncing with Evernote. I would agree that if you are a games and app junky the I-phone is superior but for work there is no comparison. Therefore the reason for my disappointment with Evernote for dropping BlackBerry. I am a Evernote Premuim user. And I  just renewed my subscription. Not pleased at all. It looks like I will have to look for another place to store my notes. I was just heralding Evernote for the great system it was but it looks like that has suddenly changed. Sorry

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Herbert Täubler said:

I was just shocked when I read this. I followed some discussions for a while and got the final result: You really don´t like Windows Users.

The main reasons, why I decided to use Evernote, were:
1/ Nice user interface on the PC
2/ Really useful user interface on my tablet (touch)
3/ Works fine on my mobile phone

In the past you decided to end any useful touch interface (touch support does not exist since a longer time), now you decided to end Evernote on Windows Phone. And I´m sure you know, that it´s not useful, when you write "If you currently use Evernote on these platforms, you may continue to do so.", because you definitly know, that sometimes people get a new phone or need to reinstall or something. And of course you know, life cycles of phones are really short. Wouldn´t it be fair to say the truth instead of such phrases?

Well, 66,67% of the main reasons are gone now because Evernote decided to end. Sad, that I already paid until May 2018. On the other side, enough time to move all data to another system.

By the way, 3 months of Evernote Premium without charging is not a "consolation", it´s a slap in the face of a paying customer.

Finally, I know, I am just an Evernote Plus User and it´s not a big thing for you, that I will cancel my account according to the conditions. As I wrote above, it´s just sad how you handle Windows Users.

I absolutely agree. Poor service, insufficient notice - just plain arrogant!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Serious segregation. Windows phone is the third most popular platform (second if you factor in iPhone and Android are on the same OS) and you can't be bothered developing it. What will become of Windows (desktop) development? As one of the many Windows Phone devotees I am disgusted at this poor decision. Going back to free account.:angry:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm with Herbert on this one.  It's taken me two years to move everything off of Android and onto the growing Windows platform.  This is a big step backwards for Evernote to cut out a growing share of the market.  And unbelievable that you would give four days' notice.  How about four months?  Horrible, horrible decision.  Very disappointing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, KEK99 said:

I'm with Herbert on this one.  It's taken me two years to move everything off of Android and onto the growing Windows platform.  This is a big step backwards for Evernote to cut out a growing share of the market.  And unbelievable that you would give four days' notice.  How about four months?  Horrible, horrible decision.  Very disappointing.

Note this notice relates to Windows/Blackberry Phones

I think Windows platform support is safe for a while; but you could switch to a Mac  :)

Share this post


Link to post

I am also very disappointed to see this. Sure, I get that a Windows Phone app by itself doesn't make sense, but then the Windows 10 store app needs to be updated to become truly UWP, or at least a mobile web version should be available.

I am thankful that in the short-term the app will run on my phone, but I will also be prepping to make the final transfer over to OneNote.

This gives me enough time to cancel my Premium subscription next month when it comes up for renewal. 

Sad, since my participation in Evernote goes back to 2008, and one of the first 4300 users.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Herbert Täubler said:

I was just shocked when I read this. I followed some discussions for a while and got the final result: You really don´t like Windows Users.

The main reasons, why I decided to use Evernote, were:
1/ Nice user interface on the PC
2/ Really useful user interface on my tablet (touch)
3/ Works fine on my mobile phone

In the past you decided to end any useful touch interface (touch support does not exist since a longer time), now you decided to end Evernote on Windows Phone. And I´m sure you know, that it´s not useful, when you write "If you currently use Evernote on these platforms, you may continue to do so.", because you definitly know, that sometimes people get a new phone or need to reinstall or something. And of course you know, life cycles of phones are really short. Wouldn´t it be fair to say the truth instead of such phrases?

Well, 66,67% of the main reasons are gone now because Evernote decided to end. Sad, that I already paid until May 2018. On the other side, enough time to move all data to another system.

By the way, 3 months of Evernote Premium without charging is not a "consolation", it´s a slap in the face of a paying customer.

Finally, I know, I am just an Evernote Plus User and it´s not a big thing for you, that I will cancel my account according to the conditions. As I wrote above, it´s just sad how you handle Windows Users.

Herbert,

Evernote Touch was discontinued a while back. While the touch interface can be useful, it wasn't the best experience for note taking. Touch features on desktop computers has never fully taken off either, so it made more sense to focus on the PC, Mac, iOS, and Android clients that dominate the market. I understand every person has their own personal preference when it comes to what devices they like, but Evernote made this decision to improve the product on its core platforms and discontinue support for the clients where there was very little user adoption rates in.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Fromeflyer said:

I absolutely agree. Poor service, insufficient notice - just plain arrogant!

This notice is just letting you know that Evernote Customer Support will no longer support these clients after the given date. You can continue to use the app, but no future updates or support will be offered if writing in for help. It's difficult to make each user happy with their preferred client and sometimes tough decisions have to be made. The shifting of these resources will further improve the other major clients.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, KEK99 said:

I'm with Herbert on this one.  It's taken me two years to move everything off of Android and onto the growing Windows platform.  This is a big step backwards for Evernote to cut out a growing share of the market.  And unbelievable that you would give four days' notice.  How about four months?  Horrible, horrible decision.  Very disappointing.

You can continue to use the application on these devices. This notice is just stating no app updates or customer support will be offered after this date. The adoption rate of Blackberry and Windows Phone is much smaller compared to the Android/iOS, Mac and PC clients. While each person has their personal preference, it made more sense to shift resources to further improving the Evernote app for the other major clients.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hello.

I accepted higher price for Evernote Premium. Windows Phone is good and regularly updated system. I like to have supported Evernote on my phone. I am very dissapointed that Evernote ended support for this platform. I know I can use it further but after reinstall it will not be accessable in the store and could not use this paid services on my primary mobile device. The big advatage of Evernote is support on all platforms. Change your decision, Evernote team, please. Maybe it is time to  change to MS OneNote - free of charge. 

OneNote is for all platforms now. Importer from Evernote is available. Basically the same functionality without additional costs. No support for the new stylus Adonit in Evernotes app Penultimate. I have started first test with the Importer right now...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Tophuriouss said:

Herbert,

Evernote Touch was discontinued a while back. While the touch interface can be useful, it wasn't the best experience for note taking. Touch features on desktop computers has never fully taken off either, so it made more sense to focus on the PC, Mac, iOS, and Android clients that dominate the market. I understand every person has their own personal preference when it comes to what devices they like, but Evernote made this decision to improve the product on its core platforms and discontinue support for the clients where there was very little user adoption rates in.

Evernote team, you can see, what your your customers think about your approach. 

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, DTLow said:

Note this notice relates to Windows/Blackberry Phones

I think Windows platform support is safe for a while; but you could switch to a Mac  :)

This should be not the right place to discuss about Windows vs Mac. Customers have reasons, why they use Windows Phone. The point is, that i paid for a solution, that worked on all 3 devices. Finally it works on only 1 device properly (yes, it runs on the tablet, but it´s more or less not to handle if you can only use the touch interface.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Tophuriouss said:

Herbert,

Evernote Touch was discontinued a while back. While the touch interface can be useful, it wasn't the best experience for note taking. Touch features on desktop computers has never fully taken off either, so it made more sense to focus on the PC, Mac, iOS, and Android clients that dominate the market. I understand every person has their own personal preference when it comes to what devices they like, but Evernote made this decision to improve the product on its core platforms and discontinue support for the clients where there was very little user adoption rates in.

It´s a while back, of course - but this does not make anything better? With the touch interface it was great to work on the tablet, now it´s nearly impossible to use it without keyboard/mouse. 

What is "the best experience"? And how should I "focus on the PC", when I´m on field service? Of course, I can use a piece of paper and a pencil, can´t I?

I do not need all features from the desktop version on my mobile phone or tablet. I just need a system working on all devices, even with different or less features.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Tophuriouss said:

You can continue to use the application on these devices. This notice is just stating no app updates or customer support will be offered after this date. The adoption rate of Blackberry and Windows Phone is much smaller compared to the Android/iOS, Mac and PC clients. While each person has their personal preference, it made more sense to shift resources to further improving the Evernote app for the other major clients.

As the app will be removed from the store, it´s just a question of time until you can not longer use it. I made a decision for Evernote when working on all my 3 Windows devices. Now it´s just 1, where you can really use it. Again, sad that the payment for the next year was done by last month.

Share this post


Link to post

You can still access and use Evernote across all other major platforms. The market share of Windows Phone is less than 1% and as a business decision it makes more sense for Evernote to devote those humans and resources to improving the application across PC, Mac, Android, and iOS. It's not just Evernote that's leaving Windows Phone behind. PayPal, Amazon, and even Bank of America have stopped supporting the platform (although BoA did come back for Windows 10). More developers are devoting their resources to the other major platforms. 

If the decision to drop support really bothers you and you are eligible for a refund, then please reach out to Evernote Support. The Evernote app for PC and Web have gone through vast improvements, so if you have access to these outside your Windows Phone or Blackberry device, then I highly advise using them more.

OneNote may be free, but you'll be losing a dedicated support team and many other features that Microsoft doesn't offer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, drwain said:

Serious segregation. Windows phone is the third most popular platform (second if you factor in iPhone and Android are on the same OS) and you can't be bothered developing it. What will become of Windows (desktop) development? As one of the many Windows Phone devotees I am disgusted at this poor decision. Going back to free account.:angry:

Well, third most popular at 1% or so isn't going to generate a lot of development activity I am afraid to say.  Unrelated to Windows desktop which has a large market share and users.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Herbert Täubler said:

What is "the best experience"? And how should I "focus on the PC", when I´m on field service?

I'm sure Android/IOS tablets are a safe bet for the future.

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, Tophuriouss said:

You can still access and use Evernote across all other major platforms. The market share of Windows Phone is less than 1% and as a business decision it makes more sense for Evernote to devote those humans and resources to improving the application across PC, Mac, Android, and iOS. It's not just Evernote that's leaving Windows Phone behind. PayPal, Amazon, and even Bank of America have stopped supporting the platform (although BoA did come back for Windows 10). More developers are devoting their resources to the other major platforms. 

If the decision to drop support really bothers you and you are eligible for a refund, then please reach out to Evernote Support. The Evernote app for PC and Web have gone through vast improvements, so if you have access to these outside your Windows Phone or Blackberry device, then I highly advise using them more.

True, Windows PHONE is pretty well dead, but Windows 10 is alive and well. if Evernote is really committed to making itself accessible virtually everywhere they need to either make their web version mobile friendly or move further along in making their Windows 10 app a universal app (UWP). Their desktop app on the Windows Store is OK, but even as such lacks significantly, and is not really that easy to use on Windows tablets, etc. By fixing this, they would solve the problem for those of us who use Windows 10 Mobile as well. Obviously, so far their commitment has been just lip service, which (even though I like Evernote for certain things) is leading me to switch over to OneNote where at least there is commitment to Windows as a whole (and much more than phone/mobile). This is about much more than Windows Phone. Certainly, Evernote has the right to support whatever platforms it chooses, but if they continue disregarding Windows they will lose whatever foothold they have there. 

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, Tophuriouss said:

You can still access and use Evernote across all other major platforms. The market share of Windows Phone is less than 1% and as a business decision it makes more sense for Evernote to devote those humans and resources to improving the application across PC, Mac, Android, and iOS. It's not just Evernote that's leaving Windows Phone behind. PayPal, Amazon, and even Bank of America have stopped supporting the platform (although BoA did come back for Windows 10). More developers are devoting their resources to the other major platforms. 

If the decision to drop support really bothers you and you are eligible for a refund, then please reach out to Evernote Support. The Evernote app for PC and Web have gone through vast improvements, so if you have access to these outside your Windows Phone or Blackberry device, then I highly advise using them more.

OneNote may be free, but you'll be losing a dedicated support team and many other features that Microsoft doesn't offer.

That sounds fine, but in real life it´s not important for me, if Evernote is available on all other major platforms. There are reasons why I am working 100% on Windows platforms and it would be an enormous effort to change an operating system. Finally I have choosed and paid Evernote for all Windows operating systems.
Regarding "reach out to Evernote Support" - Evernote will do the same as they did regarding the touch interface: Nothing.

Maybe Microsoft offers less features then Evernote, but it runs fine on my Windows Phone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'm sure Android/IOS tablets are a safe bet for the future.

It does not make any sense to buy a new hardware with a different operating system just for 1 app.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now