Idea

I know a fair bit of people use Google Drive and Google Docs. A lot of my clients who are prospective Evernote users are loving that. What I have gotten asked about a few times now is iCloud Drive integration and full support of .pages, .keynote, and .numbers file formats that Apple's iWork productivity suite uses. I have a few clients that are solitary and swear by those apps. I assume more have to be out there. I know I use Pages on occasion to make flyers and such.

So what I am suggesting is support for those Apple iWork file formats in full, like Microsoft Office and Google Docs. If the iWork app is installed on a device then the file opens appropriately (like MS Office formats), but, otherwise, it would open via the web on icloud.com (like Google Docs do). I can not imagine people outside of macOS and iOS using it. But, just in the case that they did is why I suggest the latter.

Thank you for your time.

6 replies to this idea

On 2017-06-21 at 오후 8시 14분, iretrala said:

If the iWork app is installed on a device then the file opens appropriately (like MS Office formats)

The way it works for me on my Mac, the file attachment opens in the appropriate app; iWork files open in iWork apps

>>but, otherwise, it would open via the web on icloud.com (like Google Docs do).

Confirmed, you need the app; there is no cloud iWork app.  Apple is the company to address this.
correction: you can embed a file link and access the iCloud site in a browser, the iWork files open in a cloud iWork app.  I think this is a collaboration tool

16 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Confirmed, you need the app; there is no cloud iWork app.  Apple is the company to address this.

You sure you confirmed this? There are, in fact, iWork apps via iCloud.com that work on any platform with a modern browser. They are pretty good, too. Example: iWork Pages is here on icloud.com, just like a Google doc on docs.google.com.

19 minutes ago, DTLow said:

The way it works for me on my Mac, the file attachment opens in the appropriate app; iWork files open in iWork apps

It works that way for me, too. But, what my clients are wanting is for the files not to save as .zip like they do when you put a .pages, .numbers, or .keynote file in the Note in Evernote just like if I did a .docx, .pptx, etc with MS Office.

1 hour ago, iretrala said:

You sure you confirmed this? There are, in fact, iWork apps via iCloud.com that work on any platform with a modern browser. They are pretty good, too. Example: iWork Pages is here on icloud.com, just like a Google doc on docs.google.com.

I stand corrected.  I've always used an app to work with iWork files
I haven't accessed the files at the iCloud web site

>>It works that way for me, too. But, what my clients are wanting is for the files not to save as .zip like they do when you put a .pages, .numbers, or .keynote file in the Note in Evernote just like if I did a .docx, .pptx, etc with MS Office.

There are two file types, single and package594b4711e95e2_ScreenShot2017-06-21at21_26_33.png.06a2d1921455d1f320babf138d139c55.png

If you save as a single file, you get the .pages file

Apple reference 

I found this out by opening a support ticket at Evernote; why were my iWork documents stored as .zip files when dragged into Evernote

Ap

12 minutes ago, DTLow said:

There are two file types, single and package594b4711e95e2_ScreenShot2017-06-21at21_26_33.png.06a2d1921455d1f320babf138d139c55.png

If you save as a single file, you get the .pages file

I did not know this. I feel it is something I should, though. Thank you. :) I look forward to passing this on to my clients that use iWork.

12 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I stand corrected.  I've always used an app to work with iWork files
I haven't accessed the files at the iCloud web site

That is a-okay, friend. I am glad we could enlighten each other a little bit. :) The website is handy, sometimes. I like it for when I am with a client and have an idea for a client's flyers, publications, etc and my iPhone or iPad has died or is about to. Handy backup for those moments.

2 hours ago, iretrala said:

it would open via the web on icloud.com (like Google Docs do)

You can get this, but you don't store the file in Evernote as an attachment
Instead, you store the iCloud share link; a web address

24 minutes ago, DTLow said:

You can get this, but you don't store the file in Evernote as an attachment
Instead, you store the iCloud share link; a web address

Yeah. That is an option I gave them. It is less than they feel is deserved because of the capabilities with Evernote and other file formats/office suites. Thank you for that, though.