Evernote for Mac 6.12 Beta 1 Released

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Today we're releasing version 6.12 Beta 1 - you cadownload it here. This release brings table improvements in notes to Mac as well as improvements around multi-tasking with windows and tabs. It also re-introduces the split between business and personal content. It improves on some early 6.11 Betas by allowing you to have windows open from business and personal accounts at once.  As always, we're looking to the Beta community to help us uncover bugs - please let us know if you spot any issues in your existing workflows and let us know if you're able to take advantage of the new feature improvements. 

This is a relatively early beta so we are shipping this with a few known issues to allow for more time for feedback on the many features included in this release. These are: (1) moving notes between accounts does not work and (2) inserting Google Drive documents using the drive icon does not work. We plan on addressing these both in upcoming betas. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Mac and the Editor team! 

--------------------

Full release notes for version 6.12: 

Evernote for Mac 6.12 Release Notes

Major improvements to tables!

Some highlights of what you can do with tables now:

• Add more rows and columns with a single click: Point to where you want a new column and click the plus button that appears.
  • Choose the entire column or row just by clicking the header.
  • Drag and drop entire rows & columns.
  • Copy and paste multiple cells: Select the cells you want to move, copy them, move cursor to a new spot and paste all the cells with one click.
  • Adjust the width of one column without affecting the width of the column next to it.
  • Scroll horizontally to view a table with many columns without expanding your window.
  • Hover within a cell to activate advanced table options. 
    • You can distribute columns evenly
    • Match the table width to the width of your window
    • Change the alignment of items within cells
    • Add and change background colorsQuickly add rows and columns – via the plus button

Better multi-tasking 

Keep your Evernote content organized using tabs. Create a new tab by selecting the 'New Tab' option under the File menu. 
Pick up from where you left off - if you exit the app and re-open it, you'll return to your previously opened windows / state.

Separation of Business and Personal

No longer intermingle your business and personal content in your Evernote experience but still multi-task when you need to. Improving on 6.11 Beta 1 & 2, we've added support for having business and personal notes open side-by-side. 

Known issue: you cannot move notes between personal & business. 

Bug fixes

A number of user reported bugs are now fixed in this release:

• Evernote does not update business tags list after the sync
  • Pasting a large amount of text into a note fails with no error message
  • An intermittent crash on account switching
  • Images in some notes created by clipper were not displayed in the note  
  • Pasting content before a horizontal rule was sometimes resulting in the deletion of content below the horizontal rule

----------------------------------

Screenshots

Improved table editing with cell merging!

594b11a785590_ScreenShot2017-06-21at5_16_21PM.thumb.png.5a25e58956a897520c85e9e40f3d139c.png

96 replies to this idea

On 6/22/2017 at 3:39 AM, Chantal Leonard said:

Today we're releasing version 6.12 Beta 1 …

First of all, thank you for great improvements to tables! Now they became very useful.

But new version introduced a bug to a highly used feature by me — to the ”Simplify Formatting”.
I hope you will fix it soon.

is this just me?
cmd-ctrl-c for clip rectangle does not work. Has been like this for several versions.
Workaround: Click the elephant icon, click anywhere to close the window, try again. Now it works temporarily.

thanks for the response, i'm on 10.10.2 Yosemite, didn't upgrade as new OSX versions seem to require more h/w resources.

Is Evernote supported on this version? Just like to know before I go thru the reinstall process.

Appreciate your help.

14 hours ago, fic2326 said:

Rather surprised and disappointed that the nav icon bugs introduced in 6.11.1 is still unresolved in 6.12.

Hope the Evernote Team will fix this asap in the next release, it's really causing inconvenience and annoyance.

Thanks.

nav icons.png

If this is happening ONLY in Evernote, then your copy may be corrupted. My recommendation is to follow Evernote's instructions for deleting and reinstalling Evernote from scratch.
https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208314248-How-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-Evernote

I hope that helps! Let me know if I can be of additional assistance.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, fic2326 said:

Rather surprised and disappointed that the nav icon bugs introduced in 6.11.1

I am not seeing this issue in Evernote 6.11.1 (455059) on macOS 10.11.6:

2017-07-06_23-08-49.thumb.png.13c2231376aa90394592a6d512e8776b.png

What masOS ver are you running?

Rather surprised and disappointed that the nav icon bugs introduced in 6.11.1 is still unresolved in 6.12.

Hope the Evernote Team will fix this asap in the next release, it's really causing inconvenience and annoyance.

Thanks.

nav icons.png

On 6/26/2017 at 6:43 PM, nicolml said:

This is by design. Evernote 6.12 will only display notebooks in list. Keep in mind you can use ⌘J (Switch to...) to quickly find and access notes and notebooks. 

:( I'm sad about this

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, macfixer said:

Maybe I just noticed, but the option to show the "large notebooks" view appears to be AWOL in this release. Is it gone for good? I've always unchecked that box.

Looks like the old notebook view is gone and there's just the list.  I always used the list view; there are others using the notebook image view, even requesting customized covers

On 7/4/2017 at 5:45 AM, DontDuckWithMe said:

I don't know if these bugs have been reported before, but I'll post them anyway.

1. Weird behavior when opening a note in a new window while in full-screen mode (main window is black).

595b633caeac6_2017-07-0411_40_46.thumb.gif.3d7ab1cacfe32a70b1f108b513e751ba.gif

2. Double arrow next to username when switching to full-screen mode.

595b637690e49_ScreenShot2017-07-04at11_35_51.png.bb8f60d74ecb2d1c7f3e38d14663c8ff.png

I get the double arrow as well.

• Level 5*

The Table Properties dialog box (in a note, click the Table icon, then Table Properties, is broken regarding tabs. No matter where you are in, pressing the [TAB] key takes you to the first box - Columns.

I don't know if these bugs have been reported before, but I'll post them anyway.

1. Weird behavior when opening a note in a new window while in full-screen mode (main window is black).

595b637690e49_ScreenShot2017-07-04at11_35_51.png.bb8f60d74ecb2d1c7f3e38d14663c8ff.png

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, oraclejavanet said:

Have you been appointed EN's official spokesperson?

Just to be clear, I'm a user just like yourself participating in a user discussion forum

Evernote employees are clearly identified in the sidebar
They have already responded at 

23 minutes ago, DTLow said:

That's the message I'm getting.  

Never say never, but you've already posted the request in another discussion and it's pointless to repeat your question in other discussions.  

Do actually have feedback on this beta release, or are you just going to continue your whining?

Such arrogance you have. Have you been appointed EN's official spokesperson? How about you let EN respond to this? They may be able to explain why it takes over 4 years of requests to provide one of the most basic features of a text editor and not even have it considered it for this BETA release. What a joke.

If my latest message gets under your skin, then quite frankly, I don't care. I'll decide whether or not my messages are pointless or not.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, oraclejavanet said:

No Mac users, we are never ever at any time going to allow you to Find and Replace like we provide on the PC platform, so stop asking. It is never going to happen."

That's the message I'm getting.  

Never say never, but you've already posted the request in another discussion and it's pointless to repeat your question in other unrelated discussions.  

Do you actually have feedback on this beta release, or are you just continuing your whining?

So when will Find and Replace be available for Mac? It's been over 4 years of countless requests. For the love of Pete - is this so difficult to implement? I think not. To paraphrase a quote from another user on this thread - Can you just add to your help pages a page that says "No Mac users, we are never ever at any time going to allow you to Find and Replace like we provide on the PC platform, so stop asking. It is never going to happen."

On 02/07/2017 at 9:40 PM, Finn Ove said:

Hi, the simplify formatting feature does not work as expected any more. Before I could press cmd-shift-f to fix both font and layout. Now font size stays the same ... and will not change to the default font size. I believe this happened in this version.

me too. Im waiting for fixing this issue!

Hey there!

I used to use Evernote becoz the simplicity of all layout. But seems new best version can't use the simplify formatting well??

I usually paste and have a simplify formatting back to Helvetica font size:14, but now seems not.

Is that a bug or you guys updated on simplify formatting??

ps: appreciate on updating the table function. Well done!!

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

The table is scrollable and it went off the page,

If the entire table width is within the page, then all of the text should be shown, expanding the cell down as needed.

Please make sure we have a table setting that will auto-size table width to page width.  99% of the time this is what I want, and do not want to be scrolling right/left to see the entire table.

This will be particularly important when viewing the same note/table on other devices, like phones and tablets, and even laptops with small screens.

On 7/11/2017 at 9:24 PM, nicolml said:

This is a bug in the graphics card driver. I'd recommend to update to OSX 10.10.5 to fix this issue. We still support all versions of OS X Yosemite. 

Thanks for the suggestion, just managed to update and the icons are showing now. Really appreciate it.

I'm not sure whether I'm the only person facing this issue, but for notes that are in individual notebooks (child notebook) but part of a stack (parent notebook stack), not all notes are showing in the 'parent' notebook stack.

Its erratic. Sometimes moving the note to other notebooks and back within the stack works. Sometimes it doesn't.

6 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I’m guessing the issue is with the display of the code block format

Could you include a  .enex export of your note along with your images

Also, how did you create the note?  Generally, my entry is on my Mac, and display problems occur on the other platforms

I created the note via SublimeText 3 + the evernote plugin for ST, Plugin can be found at: https://packagecontrol.io/packages/Evernote

And yes, it is an issue with the beta version. Looking at the same note with a Mac or Windows that runs the stable Version - no problem.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, mbajohr said:

The problem is your representation / rendering in the Desktop Apps for Mac and Windows.
The Apps for iOS and Android are ok, The Web Interface is ok, too.

I’m guessing the issue is with the display of the code block format

Could you include a  .enex export of your note along with your images

Also, how did you create the note?  Generally, my entry is on my Mac, and display problems occur on the other platforms

Hej there,
Mac Client Version 6.12 Beta 1, also Windows 6.6.2.5137 (305137) Prerelease

It is not a problem with the note generated from within the evernote plugin for evernote. That has been working flawlessly for years now.
The problem is your representation / rendering in the Desktop Apps for Mac and Windows.
The Apps for iOS and Android are ok, The Web Interface is ok, too.

Attached are 2 pictures:
- Web.png shows how it's rendered and shown in the Web Interface
- Desktop.png shows how it's rendered in the Desktop Apps.

When exporting the Note to html, it is ok, too.
Regards, Marcus

Web:Web.png

Desktop:

Desktop.png

When copying and pasting text into a note (formatted or unstyled) only the first line is pasted. This happens regularly but not all of the time. The workaround is to paste it into a new note or locate an area in the current note where the full paste would occur. This is likely a bug in the beta version I am using: 6.12 Beta 1 but wanted to be sure you were aware of the issue.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

The table is scrollable and it went off the page, you should be able to use the track pad (if you don't have a mouse) scroll side ways in the table

I'm not able to recreate the copy problem - but I might be missing a step - added an image, annotate, draw lines in blue.  Select one, copy and paste (mine are still blue) 

Tables - couldn't scroll - but an application restart fixed it...

Annotation - love an inconsistent bug.

20 minutes ago, Mike Figueroa said:

"Match Note Width"

It would be preferable to set tables to fit the window width and resize with it. It's very annoying to have to horizontal scroll whenever I make the window smaller.

Table Margins

Tables seem to have a built in margin at top and bottom, but this margin does not exist on Evernote for Android, so notes with text and tables display inconsistently.

There is a request in to add a feature to adjust as the note changes size 

Do to the editor being on a different version on different platforms especially beta software - you will see something a bit different as you move between devices - updates in the future (syncing the versions of the editor) will fix this.  

"Match Note Width"

It would be preferable to set tables to fit the window width and resize with it. It's very annoying to have to horizontal scroll whenever I make the window smaller.

Table Margins

Tables seem to have a built in margin at top and bottom, but this margin does not exist on Evernote for Android, so notes with text and tables display inconsistently.

1 hour ago, Metrodon said:

I've got a couple of issues.

1. Text is running beyond the right edge of the final table in a column:

Untitled.png

2. When annotating an image, copy an existing red line and the colour is set to blue

The table is scrollable and it went off the page, you should be able to use the track pad (if you don't have a mouse) scroll side ways in the table

I'm not able to recreate the copy problem - but I might be missing a step - added an image, annotate, draw lines in blue.  Select one, copy and paste (mine are still blue) 

• Level 5*

I've got a couple of issues.

1. Text is running beyond the right edge of the final table in a column:

Untitled.png

2. When annotating an image, copy an existing red line and the colour is set to blue

• Level 5*

Issue:  Tag Context Menu (Right-Click) in the Left Panel

44 minutes ago, cf77 said:

PLEASE fix this so that the right click menu on the left panel is the same when I right click on a tag between OSX and Windows. I heavily use nested tags a few layers deep based on the Michael Hyatt tagging method described here: https://michaelhyatt.com/evernote-tags.html 

I spend 60% of my time in Windows and about 40% of my time on a mac. Often I have both machines open in front of me. Tag management is easy on Windows with the right click menu and drag/drop. It is painful on the Mac. I've attached a screenshot of the right click menu on both. 

I totally agree.  I see no reason why the tag context menu in the Left Sidebar Panel should be different from that in the Tag view, or in EN Win.

Tag Context Menu in EN Mac Tag View

2017-07-17_23-41-50.png.fdf77f973838dc8bb2f70b8be59fad03.png

Tag Context Menu in EN Mac Left Sidebar

2017-07-17_23-41-51.png.0717c60565b7d74b56d5f2802eb83193.png

In fact there need to be more options in both.

Please add these actions to all Tag Context menus:

• Move Tag to be a child of ... (and then select a Tag)
  • Filter Notes by this Tag
  • Add this Tag to Note Filter

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I am still having major crashing issues and now my annotations are not saving on PDFs if the app crashes while working on them. Very disappointing. It's been a full year of the issues while using Mac on Evernote. Seems that the two will never be fully compatible. 

On 7/10/2017 at 7:58 AM, Nathan J said:

First of all, thank you for great improvements to tables! Now they became very useful.

But new version introduced a bug to a highly used feature by me — to the ”Simplify Formatting”.
I hope you will fix it soon.

Working on this now

On 7/4/2017 at 4:45 AM, DontDuckWithMe said:

Thank you for reporting these two issues. We're currently aware of both and we're investigating a fix. Thanks again. 

On 7/6/2017 at 8:21 PM, fic2326 said:

Thanks.

nav icons.png

This is a bug in the graphics card driver. I'd recommend to update to OSX 10.10.5 to fix this issue. We still support all versions of OS X Yosemite. 

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, soundsgoodtome said:

Now, when I attempt to change back to Side List View, Evernote crashes.

I don't spend a lot of time debugging my devices
My process would be to delete the app and database; reinstall the app and let the database be rebuilt from the servers
- the app AppCleaner is recommended for a complete delete
- Warning: The rebuild does not include Local Notebooks or unsynced notes

>>but I can't, because this beta has updated the database

Delete the database and let it rebuilt from the servers
- the app AppCleaner is recommended for a complete delete
- Warning: The rebuild does not include Local Notebooks or unsynced notes

Somehow, in 6.12 beta 1, my view spontaneously changed from Side List View to Card View. (I never touched it.)

Now, when I attempt to change back to Side List View, Evernote crashes. 100% of the time. So, I'm stuck with Card View—which I do not want. I tried deleting and reinstalling the app to no avail.

I should note that I'm running the public beta of High Sierra, but I don't see how the OS could affect a view command within Evernote. It seems more likely that this is an Evernote bug.

ALSO: I tried reverting to the non-beta, released version of Evernote, but I can't, because this beta has updated the database and is not backward compatible. So, again, I'm quite literally stuck with Card View with NO options (to my knowledge) except a fix from Evernote.

Can we please, please get a fix?

14 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

we've added support for having business and personal notes open side-by-side. 

support for this is rudimentary. It seems the only way this works is to open a note in a new window by double clicking. 

No parallel tabs between accounts, and tabs close and do NOT reopen when switching back to an account.

Instead of fickling around with new features like tables, I wish you'd first make sure the everyday needs are fulfilled.

Pick up from where you left off - if you exit the app and re-open it, you'll return to your previously opened windows / state.

This is not happening. All tabs are closed after restarting the app.

@Chantal Leonard BUG: After creating a new note on my Mac I opened it on my Windows machine to see how it looked. I then went back to the Mac and the table is hard coded and I am not able to edit it any further. When I write click on it there is no Table Properties option any longer. 

I have included a video in the Evernote link below.

https://www.evernote.com/l/AgVn2i07QQNDCIfU3JVLH3LTtnSuAe3aVcg

On 6/22/2017 at 4:26 AM, EdH said:

Then don't use this beta, or don't use a beta at all. You agree to use a product with untested features when you use get the prerelease builds.

I cannot believe how bluntly Evernote warnings about beta builds is ignored by some users.

2017-06-22_7-25-17.png

perhaps his comments function as Beta Feedback then...?

first i want to say - excellent job with the TABS and TABLES! you guys are great with things that start with "T-A-B" ;)

but moving on...

i too just do not understand the complete separation of Personal and Business notes when your business account's FOUNDATION is your personal account! i think that's the element that the EN team may be missing from those of us who don't like the separation. 

let's say i use a Scanner that auto adds it to EN - my PERSONAL inbox notebook is my default notebook, because usually that's what i use.  but now i've scanned some Business documents. am i supposed to open that note in the new interface, then cut/paste into a new note in my Business account? or was i supposed to change my default folder just for the duration that i'm scanning business documents?

again, fully separating Personal and Business would be fine.... if EN itself didn't combine Personal and Business at its core. 

this scanning example is just one situation. i too work out of both Personal and Business accounts back and forth throughout the day, many times simultaneously. 

i guess i can see "Enterprise" level accounts wanting the full separation. but don't you create a Personal account first to sign up and be added to someone's business?

MAYBE a solution to this would be to have the new TABS allow Personal and Business tabs mixed. i initially thought that was possible when i first opened this Beta. but no. the whole thing switches.

having to fully open a Note just to copy/paste things - rather than just moving to different notebooks - is kind of a poor implementation, you have to admit. there WAS a function to move notes, but now it has been removed. 

i absolutely cannot stand the separation of P vs B on iOS either - again, because my default Notebook is my Personal, i'll scan or pop things in there on my computer, then when i go out, i have to search to figure out where things are, rather than just looking at all my notes together.

i could go on. EN accounts are founded upon a Personal account. Business accounts are linked with a Personal account. to then force the separation of the two is just not logical.

On 6/22/2017 at 4:31 AM, EdH said:

Chantal, when I used the business version, having access to personal and business was critical. Mostly because I use an Inbox notebook for all notes, so clippings, emailed notes, or notes created by third party apps, like Drafts on iOS or FoxitPDF share/create notes only in personal notebooks. I then would 2-3 times a day curate that notebook and move business items to my business notebook. Sometimes notes were related so I would edit one while looking at the other and one would be in business and the other still in personal until moved.

Unless things have changed, Evernote forced business items into personal simply because other tools didn't understand "business" and would put everything in my default notebook, which was personal.

this exactly! i absolutely agree that it's a "showstopper" to separate the 2 accounts, and as i mentioned, i abhor working on iOS because of it. a previous Mac beta separated them, i hated it, then we got the accounts back together - it's great! and now it's separated again :(

can the EN team shed some light on who exactly is requesting the separation?

Next problem with the Business/Personal separation: SEARCH

Search is only working in one account. I often use search to jump to notebooks fast. That is now not working if I am in the wrong silo.

Alos very often I want to find notes and am not sure whether it is in Personal or Business. Now I have to search twice. 

Also very often I want to see private and business notes in one search result set. This is now also not possible any longer.

20 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Hi @Palladion we now let you see notes side by side from business an personal. So for example, if you manage your ToDos in personal you can have that note open while perusing your business notes which is definitely one of the top scenarios and requests we heard from 6.11 Betas 1 & 2.  

Can you tell me a bit more about the scenario where you'd need to have notebooks immediately available, and potentially side-by-side?

This is an early Beta to get exactly this type of feedback, so thank you for participating and better helping us understand if we're going far enough in addressing some of the pain points raised previously. 

Thanks!

Hi Chantal,

here is a typical scenario. 

We have all our business documentation in Evernote business. 

My to do list, references to important documents I need to refer to which should not land in the business account are in my personal account. Documents from other clients should also not be in the business account.  

During my day I constantly need to switch between the accounts, because I have multiple hats on during the day  

So now whenever I switch accounts the browser gets reset.

For a lot of us (especially freelancer or small business owners), the separation between Business and Personal accounts isn’t as clear cut as you would like it to be. 

For me Evernote should reflect my whole life which consists of Business and Personal categories. Siloing those into separat browsers makes it harder for me to have the workflow I rely on. 

I already dislike this on the iPhone and iPad. 

When you enforce this now on the Mac also - I really have to consider dropping the business account and go back to pro with shared folders. 

Tables: No space for the cursor between two tables when copied

When a table is copied beneath an existing one, there seems to be no way to insert content between the two tables afterwards. The cursor, when moved by arrow keys, jumps from the inside of the last cell of the first table directly into the first cell of second table. So no lines between the two tables can be created.

BTW, this is also true for Windows version 6.6.2.5173 Prerelease.

CORRECTION:

The behavior described above is only the case as long as the note is open for editing. As soon as the note is closed and reopened again, the EV client has automatically inserted an empty line between the two tables.

So, this is only a marginal issue, because it's only lasting as long as the note is edited. Same applies to the windows client.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Jorge Ferreira said:

Bug: Changes in tags on a note were not saving the first time I opened Evernote. I had to restart it to regain functionallity

New table functionality is fantastic!!!!.

17 hours ago, JWChang said:

Wow. The new table management is phenomenal. Even more convenient than Microsoft Word, which has its operations hidden in the top ribbon.

Copy Table from EN Mac to MS Word

Has anyone using this BETA tried copying a table, formatted with the new tools, to MS Word?  If so, is the format retained?

Copy Table from MS Word to EN Mac

Has anyone tried copying a table created in MS Word, then pasted into EN Mac BETA?  Is the Word format retained in EN Mac?
Here is an example table in MS Word, if yo would like to use it:
Word 2011 Table in a Table.docx.zip

Bug: Changes in tags on a note were not saving the first time I opened Evernote. I had to restart it to regain functionallity

New table functionality is fantastic!!!!. Let's hope all that formatting can translate to presentation mode.

Would you think asking for basic formulas is too much? :P (a man can only dream)

I'd like to report that the evernote menubar clipper shows the keyboard shortcut for "Find in Evernote" to be ctrl-cmd-space, but if you hit that combination of keys in the clipper nothing happens.

Usually that combination of keys is used by the "Emoji and Symbols" window, so maybe it's a bug in the display of the keyboard shortcut?

The system-wide shortcut for "Find in Evernote" is ctrl-cmd-E on my mac.

594beafd049c9_ScreenShot2017-06-22at17_53_27.png.0a62a25dfde27d2254fdf69ba21b12ac.png

(also, converting the preference window into a drop-down sheet is a weird idea)

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Today we're releasing version 6.12 Beta 1

Bug Report - Applescript abort with message          Connection is invalid." number -609

The script ran but aborted on this statement        export theTemplate to tempFile format ENEX with tags

Manually exporting notes works ok

@Palladion @thhh

As Chantal mentioned, we are shipping this beta early with some known issues:

This is a relatively early beta so we are shipping this with a few known issues to allow for more time for feedback on the many features included in this release. These are: (1) moving notes between accounts does not work and (2) inserting Google Drive documents using the drive icon does not work. We plan on addressing these both in upcoming betas.

Although we love our beta testers and the feedback they have, please know that you're not obligated to use this version if it's not working for you. If you need to regress Evernote to version 6.11.1, follow these steps below. 

**Export unsynced notes and/or local notebooks (if you have any):**

1. Select all unsynced notes, or each local notebook, then right-click and select **Export Notes…** 
2. Choose 'Evernote XML Format (.enex)' next to Format, then **Save** the file to your desktop
     * Detailed instructions at https://help.evernote.com/hc/articles/209005557

**Move your existing Evernote database:**

1. Open Evernote for Mac
2. Select **Evernote > About Evernote**
3. Press and hold the **Option** key and select **Open database folder** (keep this folder open)
4. Select **Evernote > Quit Evernote** from the menu bar
5. Move the numbered folder from the database folder to your computer's desktop
     * If you have more than one numbered folder, move each one
6. Open Evernote and log in to your Evernote account

Evernote will download all of your synced notes from the servers and create a new database on your computer. You can then import any exported notes by selecting **File > Import Notes** from the menu bar.

Once you finish syncing down your notes, you may delete the 6.12 Beta 1 database from your desktop. 

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Can you tell me a bit more about the scenario where you'd need to have notebooks immediately available, and potentially side-by-side?

Chantal, when I used the business version, having access to personal and business was critical. Mostly because I use an Inbox notebook for all notes, so clippings, emailed notes, or notes created by third party apps, like Drafts on iOS or FoxitPDF share/create notes only in personal notebooks. I then would 2-3 times a day curate that notebook and move business items to my business notebook. Sometimes notes were related so I would edit one while looking at the other and one would be in business and the other still in personal until moved.

Unless things have changed, Evernote forced business items into personal simply because other tools didn't understand "business" and would put everything in my default notebook, which was personal.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, thhh said:

Hi.

You have GOT to be kidding me.

After all this discussion for some older betas about separating business and private, with the new beta I cannot move notes from personal to business. REALLY??? I am absolutely major annoyed about this. This is a BUSINESS product. Even a beta must implement basic features. I am told that I CAN WAIT FOR A LATER VERSION TO MOVE A NOTE!!!

I cannot believe how bluntly user feedback is ignored by Evernote.

Then don't use this beta, or don't use a beta at all. You agree to use a product with untested features when you use get the prerelease builds.

I cannot believe how bluntly Evernote warnings about beta builds is ignored by some users.

2017-06-22_7-25-17.png

Hi @Palladion we now let you see notes side by side from business an personal. So for example, if you manage your ToDos in personal you can have that note open while perusing your business notes which is definitely one of the top scenarios and requests we heard from 6.11 Betas 1 & 2.  

This is an early Beta to get exactly this type of feedback, so thank you for participating and better helping us understand if we're going far enough in addressing some of the pain points raised previously. 

Thanks!

I must agree with thhh. This is awful. Now you bring back the awful implementation of Business/Personal Separation.

I can't move my notes from Personal to Business, really???

Having 2 windows with personal and business notebooks is also not working? 

Switching to other accounts forgets tabs and opened documents in tabs. 

We asked you to at least allow us to see BOTH (Business and Personal) accounts at the same time like we used to. 

This is an awful implementation. I can't see ANY progress in this separation from the last beta. At least allow me (as the BUSINESS OWNER) to define the view the way I want it.

Why do you have to mess up some good things repeatedly with bad design choices that have been rightfully criticized several times in the past? 

If you need to implement a separation the at least allow the admin of the company to define whether this separation is enforced or not. If you go on with this, I guess I have to cancel my Evernote Business account and move back to using Pro with shared folders in my team.

Hi.

You have GOT to be kidding me.

After all this discussion for some older betas about separating business and private, with the new beta I cannot move notes from personal to business. REALLY??? I am absolutely major annoyed about this. This is a BUSINESS product. Even a beta must implement basic features. I am told that I CAN WAIT FOR A LATER VERSION TO MOVE A NOTE!!!

I cannot believe how bluntly user feedback is ignored by Evernote.

• Level 5*

Functionality for changing cell backgrounds works really well. However, it also changes the gridlines which I don't believe it should do - they seem to be turning a light grey.

Like my comment in other discussions. May not be the best but any progress no matter how small it is, is just absolutely exciting. Kudos to Evernote!

BTW, is there any chance that these table will later on be formula-enabled. Similar to Google Sheet, or MS Excel.

Wow. The new table management is phenomenal. Even more convenient than Microsoft Word, which has its operations hidden in the top ribbon. Thank you for this update. 

Question: Is the ability to change table border colors through Format>Tables>Table Properties a new thing? Don't remember seeing it there. 

Also, TIL that SHIFT+Scroll on a regular mouse+keyboard setup enables horizontal scroll. Useful for us Hackintosh users. 

EDIT: Is there a "Split cells" operation yet? If not, please consider that a high priority. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Chantal Leonard said:

This release brings table improvements in notes to Mac as well as improvements around multi-tasking with windows and tabs.

@Chantal Leonard et al:

These sound like great improvements.  We've been asking for better table management for years.  Thanks for finally providing this.  I look forward to a solid, no-material-bugs GA release, so I can put all of this good stuff to use.

Bug Fixes

As always, this is my top priority, favorite feature.  There are a number of bugs reported in Vre 6.11 and 6.11.1 that I don't see listed as fixed in your 6.12 BETA 1 list.  Could you please comment of these?  (for the bugs, see the release threads).

Request for Color Options

I haven't used the BETA, but just based on your screen shot, I'd request that you provide an option to pick any color, in addition to the preset list.  That would be the minimum.  If you'd really like to make it great, then you could provide options in EN Mac Preferences to select the colors we want in the preset list.  BTW, one very cool way of doing this is to all selection of a custom color palette in the standard Mac Color Picker.  Picking a Palette would auto-set the preset colors.

My Custom Color Palettes

2017-06-21_21-17-54.png.b5e7ac63fe01a73f8464bbd6062b7abb.png

Example of Custom Color Palette

594b29bd20b1f_2017-06-21_21-17-54(1).png.df33ccddacda39bcb2ae7492f3acb794.png

Thanks.

43 minutes ago, EdH said:

I would think that is a showstopper for beta testers in a business/personal environ.

There are a number of workarounds from copy/pasting, exporting + importing notes - it was a tough choice, but we wanted to get some of the other changes sufficient bake time ahead of launch. 

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Known issue: you cannot move notes between personal a business. 

I would think that is a showstopper for beta testers in a business/personal environ.

Hello,

Am I missing something or the "Notebook view" is back in List mode without the option to change this to the "older" view....!? This is so unpractical...you have to scroll for hours to find your notebooks...

Is it a "Mistake" or will you remove the option to change the view..!?

4 hours ago, thhh said:

yes. this would be a very good way to go.

However, all of these suggestions have been made here at this forum some months ago when the separation of business and personal first came to Mac - to no avail.

That's why I don't have lots of hope.  I think they want to unify and dummify their interface with the IOS version. 

Instead of making the iOS version more powerful they are always making design changes like this. 

The next step would be to make the tags flat like in iOS - which I also hate. 

Especially for Power Users who have more than 10.000 (split between Business and Personal) notes in Evernote, those changes make organization harder because we all have our workflows which we developed over years. I've been with Evernote since year 1, and when they introduced EN for Business I was on Board the first days.

But as I said I guess it is time for me to leave EN for Business if they implement some of these changes in the final version. 

3 hours ago, michael_c said:

Thanks for your feedback. But this is really not a good idea to not give us the choice..."visual" view on table presentation of my notebooks is much better than this list approach. Even the search option is not useful...because sometime you don't remember the exact name of the noteboook (when you have 100's...) but rather "where" it was ..visually...or the "organisation" you have put in place and not the name...so please keep the option to choose the presentation mode Liste vs Table....

+1. And it's really, really hard to see shared notebooks at a glance. At least on my Mac, the "shared" icon is very light gray. 

yes. this would be a very good way to go.

However, all of these suggestions have been made here at this forum some months ago when the separation of business and personal first came to Mac - to no avail.

6 minutes ago, tsamway said:

I have stopped using Evernote for iPad because of the separation of business and private. To have to look through two areas to find information (and find which account if filed a notebook under) is just not efficient. 

I have a small business of 16 staff members. We use evernote for all our information storage, so I understand the need for the business to retain control of the notes that are business notes.. But most of us scan all our paper in as we receive it.. In mine it goes into a personal clippings file and I file it from there..Most of the notebooks I use all the time are set up as shortcuts so I just drag and drop.. about half of the filing is business and half is personal.  Being able to quickly file between personal and business notebooks is essential. So having half my shortcuts disappear is not fun. I simply can't use the beta until thats back again.. Luckily I only updated the beta to my laptop and my office and home computers are non beta otherwise evernote would have become unusable until you allowed note transferal. 

I have a PA who scans all my mail into a mail file that we share and she files it into shared (personal or business) folders.

We use emailing into evernote using the @ notebook name protocol for lots of correspondence and filing reports that we generate or receive. However, there is quite a bit that just pops into the inbox as I need to file it rather than my staff member who sends it to me.

The seamless integration between personal and business is essential. 

Here's a suggestion.. Why don't you let the business owner (evernote admin) decide which users need to separate their accounts. For example I could let all my owners in the business (who run their private lives and business lives together) run their notebooks unseparated and the staff for whom we allocate a business evernote account (they are getting a free evernote account as a small bonus) could have accounts that separate business and private? 

Big businesses that are pressuring you into separation have the option of making them all separate and smaller businesses like mine can have the flexibility of retaining the current intermingled method.

I see you have fixed the switching error.. Thank you.. thats been a hassle for a long time. My wife has a business and I have a log on to it so i can help out the staff from time to time. The system would crash everytime I switched between accounts. So thanks for that.

Amen. This is exactly my situation. And it is exactly the solution I would like to see as a business owner. I want to define how I can use my folders. And if I as the business admin could define how I want people to see my notebooks that would be ideal. But if that is to much hassle I would 1000% prefer the old way over the new separation.

And I actually also want this to happen on the iPad. With IOS 11 the iPad becomes way more powerful and I think that Evernote should up their game there too. So, please also overcome the separation at the iOS level and also implement tabs on the iPad. 

Also being able to view 2 documents side by side on the iPad (like it is possible with Safari) would be awesome. 

I have stopped using Evernote for iPad because of the separation of business and private. To have to look through two areas to find information (and find which account if filed a notebook under) is just not efficient. 

I have a small business of 16 staff members. We use evernote for all our information storage, so I understand the need for the business to retain control of the notes that are business notes.. But most of us scan all our paper in as we receive it.. In mine it goes into a personal clippings file and I file it from there..Most of the notebooks I use all the time are set up as shortcuts so I just drag and drop.. about half of the filing is business and half is personal.  Being able to quickly file between personal and business notebooks is essential. So having half my shortcuts disappear is not fun. I simply can't use the beta until thats back again.. Luckily I only updated the beta to my laptop and my office and home computers are non beta otherwise evernote would have become unusable until you allowed note transferal. 

I have a PA who scans all my mail into a mail file that we share and she files it into shared (personal or business) folders.

We use emailing into evernote using the @ notebook name protocol for lots of correspondence and filing reports that we generate or receive. However, there is quite a bit that just pops into the inbox as I need to file it rather than my staff member who sends it to me.

The seamless integration between personal and business is essential. 

Here's a suggestion.. Why don't you let the business owner (evernote admin) decide which users need to separate their accounts. For example I could let all my owners in the business (who run their private lives and business lives together) run their notebooks unseparated and the staff for whom we allocate a business evernote account (they are getting a free evernote account as a small bonus) could have accounts that separate business and private? 

Big businesses that are pressuring you into separation have the option of making them all separate and smaller businesses like mine can have the flexibility of retaining the current intermingled method.

I see you have fixed the switching error.. Thank you.. thats been a hassle for a long time. My wife has a business and I have a log on to it so i can help out the staff from time to time. The system would crash everytime I switched between accounts. So thanks for that.

12 hours ago, nicolml said:

This is by design. Evernote 6.12 will only display notebooks in list. Keep in mind you can use ⌘J (Switch to...) to quickly find and access notes and notebooks. 

Thanks for your feedback. But this is really not a good idea to not give us the choice..."visual" view on table presentation of my notebooks is much better than this list approach. Even the search option is not useful...because sometime you don't remember the exact name of the noteboook (when you have 100's...) but rather "where" it was ..visually...or the "organisation" you have put in place and not the name...so please keep the option to choose the presentation mode Liste vs Table....

9 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

Did you happen to do any other edits to the table before this happened (like pasting in content)  - there might be something hidden that is causing the new table switch to turn off if pasting something in (still not user friendly) could you share an ENEX with this problem with CS?

Nope. Although I just copy and paste the table format from one note to another. so as not to create, and edit manually each note that I need this same table to have with. No problem in sharing the ENEX, but how and to whom?

9 hours ago, michael_c said:

Hello,

Am I missing something or the "Notebook view" is back in List mode without the option to change this to the "older" view....!? This is so unpractical...you have to scroll for hours to find your notebooks...

Is it a "Mistake" or will you remove the option to change the view..!?

9 hours ago, JErnestGo said:

I think there is a problem with the Beta Version update, especially with its featured Table.

I noticed that tables return to Plain Format, after a while. You can notice the difference between these two tables. The one above is the newly created table having the latest function (spread sheet like feel), whilst the other once is also a newly created table but after a while it returns to its old form (pre 6.12 Evernote Table)

Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 13.49.08.png

Did you happen to do any other edits to the table before this happened (like pasting in content)  - there might be something hidden that is causing the new table switch to turn off if pasting something in (still not user friendly) could you share an ENEX with this problem with CS?

Hi, the simplify formatting feature does not work as expected any more. Before I could press cmd-shift-f to fix both font and layout. Now font size stays the same ... and will not change to the default font size. I believe this happened in this version.

I appreciate the Tables reworked... but, every table are just not at the right size wen opening a note. So I have to adjust all the table manually.
I use to send the URL link of a note to customers, as they can see regardless of the software they use, and there is still a problem how a Browser (Safari, Chrome..., Mac or PC) displays the tables. In this state is unusable.

Using the "adjust table to actual note"  (N.B. I have the french version, I don't know exactly how it's called in English) is great, but this have no effect on the web side...

I think there is a problem with the Beta Version update, especially with its featured Table.

I noticed that tables return to Plain Format, after a while. You can notice the difference between these two tables. The one above is the newly created table having the latest function (spread sheet like feel), whilst the other once is also a newly created table but after a while it returns to its old form (pre 6.12 Evernote Table)

Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 13.49.08.png

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

Sayre, this discussion would be better as a separate post in the requests forum

I'm curious about how much need there would be for table > Excel/Pages
I work with spreadsheets all the time.  When it comes to chosing the application to use, for me it would be Excel/Pages
Likewise, for serious writing, I use Pages/Word
I would not be converting from an Evernote note

I do the same thing that you do. Have had a lot of questions about this feature from people considering leaving onenote for evernote. Just thought I’d mention it. 

@Chantal Leonard The tab multi-tasking is a big step.

For the tab title, it would be extremely useful to have to search term of the search field in the respective title of the tab- if there is one.

As a pro user, search is highly-leveraged- and the title of the tab hence would contain a lot of context, as does a shortcut.

This would allow to overlay shortcuts with yet an additional layer for viewing (eg projects or such).

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

@Chantal Leonard Would love to see in the future at some point the ability to convert tables to Pages/Excel sheets as an export option.

Sayre, this discussion would be better as a separate post in the requests forum

I'm curious about how much need there would be for table > Excel/Pages
I work with spreadsheets all the time.  When it comes to chosing the application to use, for me it would be Excel/Pages
Likewise, for serious writing, I use Pages/Word
I would not be converting from an Evernote note

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, EdH said:

I'm not going to argue with you on this.

No argument. I'm just working out the code for a merge script

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, DTLow said:

Using Excel on my Mac I selected random cells, copied and pasted into other cells

The cells were pasted in top to bottom sequence, regardless of the order I selected cells

That is on purpose. Excel knows the order because with the cells selected release the command key and hold down the enter key  excel will toggle the cells in the order selected  

I'm not going to argue with you on this. Go to evernote. Select a note. Command-select another. You see evernote swipe that thumbnail in? Cmd-select another. Another thumbnail. It knows. Keep them in a stack then merge in the order of the stack. The OS has nothing to do with it. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, EdH said:

Excel for one. I can ctrl-select random cells and excel maintains the order. The app knows what you've selected. You must make a list in a stack somewhere of what order was selected, then merge in that order.

Using Excel on my Mac I selected random cells, copied and pasted into other cells

The cells were pasted in top to bottom sequence, regardless of the order I selected cells

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, DTLow said:

Could this be an OS limitation?

From a programming perspective, I can retrieve selected items
I can not identify the order selected

Do you know any Mac applications where the selected order is maintained?

Excel for one. I can ctrl-select random cells and excel maintains the order. The app knows what you've selected. You must make a list in a stack somewhere of what order was selected, then merge in that order.

• Level 5*
50 minutes ago, EdH said:

allow Mac users to merge notes in the order selected like you can on the PC?

Could this be an OS limitation?

From a programming perspective, I can retrieve selected items
I can not identify the order selected

Do you know any Mac applications where the selected order is maintained?

• Level 5*

For the love of all things holy, are there any plans ever, at any time, to allow Mac users to merge notes in the order selected like you can on the PC? If not, can you just add to your help pages a page that says "No Mac users, we are never ever at any time going to allow you to merge notes in the order selected like we allow on  the PC platform, so stop asking. It is never going to happen."

Archived