Simple Debt tracking, to capture total debt, payment in and out with total.

DeonvJ

Idea

9 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  Nice idea, but how many new users will Evernote sign up after they spend thousands of dollars developing a budgeting feature?

- And having tried the app because I thought it might help me keep track of all the monthly debits to my account,  it seems like all this does is record a total debt for each item of money that you owe,  or is owed to you;  and you can then set against that debt the date and amount of any payments you make.  No automatic debits or credits,  no dates or calculations other than basic subtraction.

That's already possible in Evernote.  Set up a note with a table.  List out people you owe,  and people who owe you,  plus the amounts.  List payments against each amount.  If you need a running total,   attach a spreadsheet.

Spreadsheets are,  I suspect,  why Evernote doesn't already do anything in the area of accounting or budgeting.  I use a (fairly complicated) spreadsheet already - they'd have to do something pretty mind blowing for me to change horses now...

• Level 5*
On 6/20/2017 at 3:02 AM, DeonvJ said:

Hi my suggestion is a simple debt tracking feature where you can to capture "total debt, payment in and out" with total.

For me, this is a spreadsheet function

I was able to script this on my Mac; parsing and exporting my data to a spreadsheet

I've moved the discussion to the General Requests forum but I don't see Evernote taking this on.  It seems more of a project for a third party developer

• Like 1

Hey! Did your idea to work out? I need something like an app you proposed. I have some problems with counting my loan payments. Last time I even needed to take a small loan at https://expertpaydayloans.com in order to not miss a payday at bigger credit. Don't want my credit history to be ruined. I'm not so good at calculation and so I think that this app would help me to get out of debt. If I'm getting it right and you were talking about an app, of course. Right now I have a debt from 2 loans. This is sad.

• Level 5

Isolated this is an easy task for a spreadsheet, like Excel, or one of the free alternatives.

Personally I use a program similar to Quicken or Star Money, including online banking interfaces and a credit planner that import the payments from the bank accounts, split them between interest and payment, and deduct them from the balance. It offers all sort of reports, can calculate extra payments, changes of interest rates etc., plus has an exporting tool into csv or xlsx-formats. It creates a payment plan where you can budget your credit expenses years in advance, allowing for comparing szenarios (like the effects of accelerated repayments).

Using EN makes no sense, because EN tables do not allow for calculations - not simple ones, and for sure not with more advanced formula needed to compare long term credit conditions (like annuity, current value etc.).

• Level 5

This works o.k. with a few accounts.

But amongst us in our little „Family Inc.“ we have so many accounts, from current over credit cards, investment and financing that handling it manually would be a pain in the ass. Thus I import the raw data weekly from the banks, consolidate them in the finance program and control the flow of money by budgeting. The sheets from the banks imported as pdfs once a year only serve for documentary purposes. These go straight into EN.

A nice side effect is that my tax accountant can use the data himself to look after that side of our life.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Trauma said:

I need something like an app you proposed.

Evernote is my data storage tool
Apple Numbers (spreadsheet) is my tool for doing calculations and reporting

I scan receipts and store in Evernote1710316657_ScreenShot2020-01-17at8_05_40AM.png.1fdc4c37602fb97bf0579d1c57fcc351.png

I get receipts and statements by email
- stored in Evernote

My bank provide monthly transaction files
- parsed and imported to Evernote

For calculation/reporting, I export this data from Evernote to a spreadsheet1332362155_ScreenShot2020-01-17at8_08_27AM.png.b867cf72034fb90ecd4f89197826fcba.png

Thanks for the suggestion, it's great to have you here on the forum. I totally agree with you on the need for a simple debt tracking feature. It can be such a hassle to keep track of our total debt, payments in and out, and the overall total. Having a one-stop app that does it all would be a game-changer. I took a look at StellarWave - Debt Tracker, and it seems like a handy tool. You can always reach out to a Mortgage Broker in Colchester for additional advice.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, JaylynnDennis said:

Having a one-stop app that does it all would be a game-changer.

Hi.  Welcome to the forums.  You're posting in a three-year-old conversation,  the lack of recent interest for which suggests that the original spam (which for some reason I didn't immediately delete 6 years ago) was not wildly popular.  In any event Evernote is not a 'one-stop' solution,  and there are any number of budgeting apps out there if you need them.

• Level 5

Who wants a one stop solution: Create a spreadsheet, configure it to hold each credit in a sheet, add a sheet for the total.

It serves as well to check for scenarios, like repaying early vs. investing an equal amount, and repay after it increased in value.

You can attach the spreadsheet to a note. You can create a note for each credit, holding all the contract information, bank slips and whatever is related. Create a TOC of these detail notes in the note holding the spreadsheet, for easily jumping into the details and back.

Since everybody has different needs here, it wouldn’t make sense to build that functionality directly into EN. There are tools on the market that will do it for you, if setting up a spreadsheet is beyond your capabilities.