Evernote crashes upon launch (Windows)

Hi,

I've been using EN for couple of years (Windows & Android).

Experienced crashes upon launch over last  couple of weeks, on Desktop :

• EN icon will run, then stop running - without any notification/error msg or whatever;
  • updated to Evernote 6.5.4 (6.5.4.4720), don't know what my prior version was;
  • EN will correctly start the first time after re-install - but the next time I close it, it will crash when I launch it (same as before). Not very convenient to re-install EN everytime I need a note !!

Has anybody experienced those crashes on Windows ? Anybody with a solution ?

Thanks !!

• Level 5*

Hi.  With Evernote being unstable in the way that you describe,  I'd suggest uninstalling and reinstalling - you say that Evernote has been on your system for a couple of years,  with updates - sometimes updating leaves older,  corrupted files lying around and a complete clear-out solves the problem.

Short version -

• Solely as a precaution,  check Tools > Options > General to open the Databases folder,  and then File > Exit Evernote.  Copy your databases folder to your desktop.  (It's a good idea to backup your database regularly anyway...).  If you can't open Evernote your databases folder will be here:  C:\Users\<user>\Evernote\Databases
  • Then use Control Panel to uninstall Evernote,  and restart your computer.
  • Go to Evernote.com,  download and reinstall Evernote.

Elapsed time about 10 minutes.

Thanks, Gazumped.

Did that - will know next time I re-start. (had already re-installed, but without prior un-installing - to no avail unfortunately - maybe the uninstall is somewhat cleaner)

Fingers crossed ;)

Thanks !

Hi Gazumped,

did all that (full un-install, clean, re-install) - to no avail.

Same symptoms : EN icon will run, then stop running - without any notification/error msg or whatever.

Going to refer this to support (Premium user) - GRRRR !!

actually, I forwarded the issue to support (Premium user) - and hope to have the issue solved (if necessary over a Live Chat).

Alternatively, I'll cancel EN and shift to something more reliable...

Archived