kimaldis

Tag Hierarhcies & duplicate tags

Idea

I'm using nested tags to organise my notes. This works very well until I need something like the following:

• Code
    • Javascript
      • snippets
      • classes
    • Python
      • snippets
      • classes

The obvious solution would be to split the snippets & classes tags out into the root of the structure but this seems counter-intuitive to me. Thoughts?

thanks.

7 replies to this idea

15 hours ago, kimaldis said:

I'm using nested tags to organise my notes. This works very well until I need something like the following:

I use the tag hierarchy (Mac) more as a tool to organize my Tags

I prefix my tagnames.  
In your example, Javascript_Snippets and Javascript_Classes.  
Or to avoid duplication, Code_Snippets with CodeL_JavaScript a completely separate tag
This ensures unique tagnames, and the tags sort sequentially

The tag hierarchy doesn't show in all places/platforms; 593c7749b485b_ScreenShot2017-06-10at3_48_12PM.png.9f9b014476439773ccfd5d08150c89e5.png
then I only have an alphabetic list to work with

12 hours ago, kimaldis said:

• Code
    • Javascript
      • snippets
      • classes
    • Python
      • snippets
      • classes

The obvious solution would be to split the snippets & classes tags out into the root of the structure but this seems counter-intuitive to me. Thoughts?

thanks.

My view is any tag that might duplicate in a structure needs its own place or parent in the structure.  

Your example might be:

• Code
    • Javascript
    • Language xPython
    • Other.Code.Tags
      • Snippets
      • Classes

You then may have to apply two tags to a note, but you can also find all Javascript or all Snippets or all Javascript and Snippets notes without much work.  I avoid compound tags since searching can be more difficult.  YMMV.

Kind of where I was going.

For me, though, I'd still prefer to be able to localise tags within hierarchies. The problem for me is that complicates the process of showing, say, all #Javascript #Classes. The given example is a simple one and there are ways to make it easier but I can see how it could easily get out of hand as the database grows. The whole point of a hierarchy, my view, is that it allows localisation. A good example would be directory structures.

On 10/06/2017 at 9:28 AM, DTLow said:

I use the tag hierarchy (Mac) more as a tool to organize my Tags

I prefix my tagnames.  
In your example, Javascript_Snippets and Javascript_Classes.  
Or to avoid duplication, Code_Snippets with CodeL_JavaScript a completely separate tag
This ensures unique tagnames, and the tags sort sequentially

The tag hierarchy doesn't show in all places/platforms; 593c7749b485b_ScreenShot2017-06-10at3_48_12PM.png.9f9b014476439773ccfd5d08150c89e5.png
then I only have an alphabetic list to work with

That, also, would work for me. Although it's a shame we have to jump through hoops like this.

Thanks for your input.

2 hours ago, kimaldis said:

Kind of where I was going.

For me, though, I'd still prefer to be able to localise tags within hierarchies. The problem for me is that complicates the process of showing, say, all #Javascript #Classes. The given example is a simple one and there are ways to make it easier but I can see how it could easily get out of hand as the database grows. The whole point of a hierarchy, my view, is that it allows localisation. A good example would be directory structures.

Not sure what you mean, a search for tag:Javascript tag:classes would return all notes with those two tags?

Yeah, a lot of discussion on these forums of hierarchy vs, I guess you might loosely say, relational.  Everyone finds what's best for them.  Personally, for me it is all about finding notes through search as opposed to structure.  

I don't use the tag tree other than to organize tags on the rare occasion I add a new tag.  My standard view is side list view with the left panel closed (F10).  I have about 400 tags after 9 years of use and it has been that way for quite a while.  I don't use many compound tags, tag.name.  I use prefixes for some types of tags, ! for action, _ for year, = for person, . for projects.  This makes tag selection quicker from drop downs, aids in sorting results, and in some instances finding things.  For example tag:=person tag:!* finds all action items for a specific person.  I use tag names that are as short as possible and easy to remember.  Things like Statement, Company, PC.Stuff.  My target is for a search using couple of tags and some text to return a set of 25 or less notes.

Not to say there's anything wrong with hierarchy, but I care less where the note is stored but more with how to retrieve it.  Could be a use case thing that makes it work for me.  YMMV.

1 hour ago, csihilling said:

Not sure what you mean, a search for tag:Javascript tag:classes would return all notes with those two tags?

Yes, it would but if the tag were localised you wouldn't need to. You simply click the classes tag . Quicker, simpler. Plus the tag view would give you an immediate view of your note structure; how many Javascript->classes tagged notes you have.

1 hour ago, csihilling said:

I don't use the tag tree other than to organize tags on the rare occasion I add a new tag. 

But other might. Making it available would make little difference to you but would increase functionallity for those that see it as a useful feature. It's not uncommon, in fact I'd say it's the norm, for hierarchies in other applications to have locally scoped tags or categories. Bear, Mweb, all allow for this. Intuitively it works.

4 hours ago, kimaldis said:

But other might. Making it available would make little difference to you but would increase functionallity for those that see it as a useful feature. It's not uncommon, in fact I'd say it's the norm, for hierarchies in other applications to have locally scoped tags or categories. Bear, Mweb, all allow for this. Intuitively it works.

Yeah, like I said in the first post, a lot of discussion re hierarchy in these forums, search and you will find the same arguments you present - commonality, intuition, the norm.  Though typically with respect to notebooks and more layers of same.  With the software in its current state and tags having to be unique, I think most folks use the compound key method if they want to select tags from the left panel.  Gives you what you want I think you want, just a longer tag, Javascript.Classes.  

I have no issues should EN add the function you seek, and none of my posts are meant to imply my preferred method is better.  It's just a different way that fits my eye better than hierarchies.

• Like 1