Jump to content
2019 Calendar Templates Read more... ×
  • 6
dec4106

Tag change should modify Updated field

Idea

Title sez it all.  Changing the tag is a change to the note, no?  Seems like the Updated time should change to reflect it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

15 replies to this idea

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Hi.  Any special workflow that requires this?  I think tags are regarded as something you add and remove at random times,  while changes to the note content are important events that you might want to track.  Been using Evernote for several years now and didn't see this as an issue...

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I agree with the OP. Updated means {looks in dictionary} - updated! Changing a tag is updating the metadata. If I click on the circled i where I can update other metadata, like the URL or author, the "updated" field is updated, but in that same dialog box, if I add/change/remove tags, the updated field is not updated. Honestly it seems more of a bug to me than a feature request.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

If you have a change of tag structure though and edit / remove tags on half your notes,  that 'updated' date is going to be pretty academic...  different strokes I guess..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I also agree with the OP.  I have been known to have the odd dumb a$$ moment and rather than deleting a tag in a search explanation have deleted a tag in a note in the search results.  Try determining which of the 30 notes in the search results just got conked.  Not pleasant.....

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

If you have a change of tag structure though and edit / remove tags on half your notes,  that 'updated' date is going to be pretty academic...  different strokes I guess..

True.  However, maybe could be optional so one could conveniently disable when doing major surgery?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

This used to bother me too but years later, I am actually very happy that tag adjustments do not affect the modified date. I rarely used tags in the beginning, I relied heavier on notebooks and manual searching but after changing my workflow, (many times) I'm now heavily using tags and I add/adjust tags very often. I like to see the note updated date only adjust when I have made a change to the actual note content. Adjusting tags should not count as a note content adjustment in my opinion, in most cases I'm simply cleaning up what I failed to do in the first place and yes I'm usually doing this after the note creation, sometimes years later.

I can see csihilling's point though, I used to run into this in the past with my prior organization methods. All I ask is that If you do choose to consider this for a future release, please provide an option, a new checkbox in EN settings would work just fine to provide maximum compatibility for all organization methods.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
14 minutes ago, Thresha said:

Adjusting tags should not count as a note content adjustment in my opinion, in most cases I'm simply cleaning up what I failed to do in the first place and yes I'm usually doing this after the note creation, sometimes years later.

I have no problems with the date update being optional, however I think the defualt should be a tag change updates the date

btw  If I make a change and don't want the date updated; I can manually change the date (Mac)
I often script mass changes to my notes and I make sure the dates are maintained

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Agree optional (or at least configurable) seems to be the way to go...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Bump to bring a little attention to this issue.  The note update date should definitely be changed with changed tags and notebooks, or at least give users the choice whether to do so in options.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Not in favor of making this be the default behavior. Relevant precedent is in the Windows file system, where folder, title, and other metadata changes do not affect modification date. I'd be OK with it being an option, but defaulting to off.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
23 minutes ago, jefito said:

Not in favor of making this be the default behavior. Relevant precedent is in the Windows file system, where folder, title, and other metadata changes do not affect modification date. I'd be OK with it being an option, but defaulting to off.

We could go round and round forever on this one.  My point would be notes with a tag named Statement carry a different meaning from notes without a tag named Statement, same for title and notebook.  Changes to these fields represent note content changes.  In the windows analogy the focus seems to be to update date when file content changes.  So changing a tag to me is changing the file content.  I've always felt meta data to be non specific to content; created, size, contains a pic or whatever, location, etc.  End of the day though, an option would make the most sense.  ?‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
6 minutes ago, CalS said:

We could go round and round forever on this one.  My point would be notes with a tag named Statement carry a different meaning from notes without a tag named Statement, same for title and notebook.  Changes to these fields represent note content changes.  In the windows analogy the focus seems to be to update date when file content changes.  So changing a tag to me is changing the file content.  I've always felt meta data to be non specific to content; created, size, contains a pic or whatever, location, etc.  End of the day though, an option would make the most sense.  ?‍♂️

Option dialog box:

 Correctly change the modified date when I modify the note.

 Incorrectly do not change the modified date when I modify the note in this very specific way.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, CalS said:

We could go round and round forever on this one.

Yes, we could. My intent in posting here was to register a "no" vote in the only way that's possible, since there's no downvoting feature. There's no definitively right or wrong answer here; both sides have ample reason to want what they want, so an option seems like the best choice. Which I voiced support for, along with a preference for a default setting that matches the current behavior.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, jefito said:

Yes, we could. My intent in posting here was to register a "no" vote in the only way that's possible, since there's no downvoting feature. There's no definitively right or wrong answer here; both sides have ample reason to want what they want, so an option seems like the best choice. Which I voiced support for, along with a preference for a default setting that matches the current behavior.

Agreed.  My intent was to proffer that metadata definition isn't a precise science.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
10 hours ago, CalS said:

Agreed.  My intent was to proffer that metadata definition isn't a precise science.

Right -- it's not a science at all; it's purely definitional. "Metadata" just means "data about other data". How it affects or is affected by the system in which it resides is up to the system. The Windows file system defines metadata (at least in terms of what can change without modifying a file's modification date) one way (seemingly anything but the actual bits of a file is metadata), Evernote has its own definition. There seems to be enough of a divide in terms of how people want Evernote to behave to make it worth an option. I'm normally not one who wants to make every little thing an option; it can make an application difficult to maintain, explain, understand, and support, but this one seems like a good candidate.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×