Password for Evernote

KevinB62

Idea

Evernote's Mac app should really have password protection. It's the 21st Century! And will soon be 2018--come on! With all we read about sensitive data being stolen all of the time, don't you think Plus and Premium users deserve a little security??

PLEASE ADD PASSWORD PROTECTION to the EVERNOTE MAC APP!!

THANKS!

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 2017-06-03 at 7:44 PM, KevinB62 said:

Evernote's Mac app should really have password protection.

On my Mac, I have to enter a password to access to sign in to the computer
I also have to enter a password to access my Evernote account

I also have encrypted note data which requires a password

• Level 5*

Isn't your Mac password protected?

the Evernote database isn't encrypted to even if someone didn't launch the app, they could read your notes. 

I am in full agreement with this feature request.

Many of us work on platforms which are either shared by or visible to multiple people, regardless of having a specific mac sign-in.

Evernote institutes password protection on other operating systems, so why not for mac?

Without this feature, I personally cannot use Evernote in the work environment, so sadly I'll likely delete the app.

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, Zouh08 said:

Evernote institutes password protection on other operating systems, so why not for mac?

On my Mac, I enter a password to launch Evernote and access my account
Make sure you logout when finished

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Pablocg said:

I cant put a password to my computer,

Not sure what computer you're using but most have a password feature
My Mac and iPad have a login, and a timeout password

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, Pablocg said:

+1, Im going to cancel my subscription because I use evernote in my job, and I cant put a password to my computer, log out evernote all days is... very  bad UX.

I had this issue at one time. Here was my solution - and it assumes you have the rights to install apps, which I assume you do as you installed Evernote.

1. Set Evernote to NOT start when you start Windows or log in.
  2. Create an encrypted volume using VeraCrypt on your PC.
  3. Have the volume set to NOT mount when you log in.
  4. When the volume is done being created, move your Evernote database into the volume.
  5. Run Evernote as normal.
  6. Log out at night.

When you come in the next day and log in, you will need to mount the Veracrypt volume. Takes a few seconds. Then manually start Evernote.

If you ever start Evernote without Veracrypt volume mounted, it will ask for your login. You'll know then you forgot to mount the veracrypt volume. Simply mount the volume now, then type in your userid/password in Evernote and it will work fine. If you type in your login info without mounting the volume, Evernote will create new database and start downloading your stuff from the cloud in a new location. You just have to log off, point to the data in the veracrypt volume (mounted of course) and delete the newly created database.

Just an FYI - this is the only way to secure your data on a PC. the Evernote database can easily be read by a plain text editor. The db is not in any way encrytpted. The login is to access the web. Not really your local copy.

Archived