Windows 7 Evernote desktop lag / stutter when typing

When I type, I get a putt putt and stutter for no reason. Please help me fix the lag delay, it's just an uncomfortable experience.

• Windows 7
  • Desktop Client
  • Latest version of Evernote
  • Trash is empty
  • Restarted machine after reinstaling
  • Logged out of client and back in (but I didn't restart in between)
  • Plenty of free space available on the SSD (60.8 MB Fixed 16.1 GB free)
  • Evernote Debug was not helpful either
  • Options appear to be configured correctly, doesn't look like a sync issue
  • I tried to optimize database Help > Optimize (after holding down CTRL) but no luck

Here is a snippet from my activity log - any ideas?

02:11:36 [2296] Command line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\Evernote.exe" /Task:NewNote /Hide 
02:11:36 [7948] GA: Failed to send event (error: Unknown error 0x800C0005)
02:11:36 [7948] GA: Failed to send event (error: Unknown error 0x800C0005)
02:12:02 [7948] GA: Failed to send event (error: Unknown error 0x800C0005)
02:12:06 [7948] GA: Failed to send event (error: Unknown error 0x800C0005)

evernote-debug.png

evernote-options.png

p.s. - I do not wish to use the web client :(

• Level 5*

Hi.  You have things set to auto-sync every 5 minutes - have you tried extending that to say 30 minutes?  Or even daily,  with lots of manual syncs as you work?

I'm not too sure how to interpret

6 hours ago, Webmaster said:

putt putt and stutter

- other than clearly it's not exactly smooth typing.  Are you saying that you type and as you get to a certain number of words on screen,  there's a pause and then the next few words appear in a rush,  and that repeats while you type?

Does clipping work normally?  Copy and Paste?

I'd suggest you get in touch with support if you can,  or reach out on Twitter @EvernoteHelps..  (we're a -mainly- user-supported forum.)

• Level 5*

May not be your issue, but do you use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse?  I once had the dongle in the docking station, behind the laptop.  I moved it and put it in the side of the laptop closest to the keyboard.  No more stuttering when typing.

Check the attached GIF to see what I'm experiencing. The second line, you'll see a mini 2 second (ish) pause. That happens every so random, at what feels to be every 30 seconds or so.

---

No luck with your recommendations @gazumped - everything works as desired. Support should be paying you since you do a better job. ^ _ ^

That's a smart thought @csihilling - I'm using a wired $5 keyboard and mouse, but the problem you are describing is pretty much exactly what I have. It's a random 30 second interval 2 to 4 second surge of lag when typing.

evernote-lag-spike.gif

I also have this same lag problem on all computers with Evernote. (Win 7, Win 10) I optimized the database, emptied the trash and reinstalled the app. Since it's on all computers it seems not to be a computer specific issue. It makes Evernote significantly harder to use on a moment to moment basis and interrupts work flow and thought process. It's imperative I solve this if Evernote is going to continue to be a viable writing tool for me. Thanks for any ideas!

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

Hmmn.  Just had a look at alternativesto..  just the usual suspects plus several I've never heard of.  Keywords here are "frying pan" and "fire" I think...  Better to have positive recommendations for a reliable,  viable contender from someone who's using it.  (Better,  but cheeky in Evernote's own forums.)

If only there were an alternative place to get some ideas...  oh,  wait...  ;)

I'll keep you posted - downloading update right now.

Evernote_2017-08-07_19-38-52.png

Alright so I just updated, but didn't restart my machine... I still experience the lag delay. Maybe it'll get fixed after restart, but I don't think so. Here is the version I'm using now:

Evernote_2017-08-07_19-41-56.png.b6686c75cc907496021b08c8b7adf1a6.png

Here is the lag spike test in action, you'll notice it starts after "...I like to use"

test-lag-spike.gif.22fafad161283dafac19fc7f619862c6.gif

No luck @Austin G - keep the ideas coming and I'll keep on testing ^ _ ^

GLHF and enjoy your days to come.

p.s. - I was fortunate enough to try premium status for 30 days because I referred a buddy but even with the upgraded account, I had no luck, lag was still living.

On 6/6/2017 at 4:47 PM, Webmaster said:

I wish you the best of luck finding an alternative. This problem will likely not get solved anytime, and since I'm not a paying customer, I don't expect it to.

» http://alternativeto.net/software/evernote/

I am a paying customer and have the exact same issue except instead of every 30 seconds or so, for me it's every 5 to 10 seconds.

I have a hardwired keyboard, Windows 7, i7 processor, SSD with plenty of space and 16gb ram.

Evernote windows desktop client version 6.6.4.

Really really need this fixed. Please! It's destroying workflow.

• Level 5*

Well,  as a paying customer you can contact Support directly on https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new you can also tweet them via https://twitter.com/evernotehelps

If your Windows client had been updated several times you may benefit from a 'clean' installation you may have some leftover files from a previous install causing a problem.  

The way to solve that is to uninstall using Revo Uninstaller,  which does a search of your system and nukes anything related to Evernote - except the database folder.  

Notwithstanding that,  as a first step copy \Evernote\Databases to Databases.old on your desktop to make sure.

Then download the free version of Revo - http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html  

Run it,  and uninstall Evernote with the standard Revo settings.

Restart your computer and re-download and reinstall Evernote.

Great ideas from @gazumped - formatting your PC, and using Revo is a great suggestion but that does not work.. sadly.

Your state of the art desktop PC isn't the problem @ybp9003, it's the Evernote code. Sooner or later Evernote will fix it. I too was a paying customer and the stutter lag happens every 5 - 10 seconds sometimes... and other times every 30.

---

I tested and downloaded previous Evernote version to see if issue disappeared. Issue is resolved... but only on 3 year old, half-sized, Evernote 5 version.Did you know the newer version of Evernote is double the size? Crazy.

evernote-file-versioning.png.53fd5947a292c83ee97fdfe7198e441f.png

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, Webmaster said:

formatting your PC

Really not my suggestion.  I agree that if you accept that all is lost before you begin it saves an awful lot of time actually trying to fix stuff..  but then you'll never know if it was possible.

14 hours ago, Webmaster said:

Your state of the art desktop PC

Running Windows 7,  released in 2009.  Don't get me wrong,  if it works for you there's no reason to consider upgrading...  oh,  wait...

Getting a clean install can help some customers,  and if you've done all the groundwork before you get to Support,  it saves going through the same hoops with them - because this is just basic teching. (But don't use Revo before you talk to support - they like to see log files which get nuked in the process.)

Backed up my Database. Uninstalled using Revo.

don't use Revo before you talk to support - they like to see log files which get nuked in the process

Downloaded and reinstalled. No change. It is doing exactly the same thing as before. I'll let it run for a bit and see if anything else changes but I'm not thinking so. I have created a work around by typing everything I need in Notepad and then just copying/pasting it into Evernote.

The following is what you might call a "rant". If you are not interested in hearing it, you may stop reading now....

With a product so advanced as Evernote, it's kinda crazy that something like a simple text entry window would cause so much trouble. Someone really needs to look at the core code and make some much needed refinements. Evernote has become an irreplaceable monster. It's different pieces don't to work together as seamless as it used to. I am beginning to get the feeling that future upgrades are a bad idea. Once I get a comfortably working version, I'll just stick to it and hold off on upgrading as long as I can.

• Ex Employees

Thanks for the updates and reports. As @gazumped mentioned, if you're still seeing this typing lag please open up a support ticket. Please confirm if this occurs with all notes, including new notes. Please also confirm if the notebook the notes are saved into is a personal, joined, or shared notebook. Thanks!

Doesn't matter what the support issue ticket number is, the problem will not get resolved. Don't take this negativity to seriously, it's just a problem with Evernote. Why would someone need to open a ticket to fix this problem when the problem shouldn't exist?

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Webmaster said:

Doesn't matter what the support issue ticket number is, the problem will not get resolved. Don't take this negativity to seriously, it's just a problem with Evernote. Why would someone need to open a ticket to fix this problem when the problem shouldn't exist?

Could be said about any bug.  ;)  

Though this performance thing with EN has been around since dirt was brown.  SSD is the one mostly reliable solution, hardware masking a software issue.  But even then not always.  :mellow:

• 2 months later...

Still happens, and one thing I tried, that seems like may have helped reduced stutter, is adding firewall rule to portable app. By blocking Evernote from updating to the internet... it seems like problem is removed.

1. Snag Firewall App Blocker
  2. Add evernote process' and to block
  3. Restart PC / Evernote and make new note

image.png.9764ac5413b9ef0b1c0c2a82cbe95c21.png

I've not tested this too much, but at first glance it works well. I don't use Evernote as much anymore. Maybe I'll start again...

• 1 month later...

I have the same annoying problem (v6.8.7.6387, paid user) on a high performance Windows 10 workstation as of 12/30/2017. No evidence of CPU spike or any other common causes of such behavior. Anecdotally, it seems to happen to me on all notes (new notes, big notes, etc.). I tried disabling instant-sync, but the problem persists.

The program will also often hang when switching between notes in the note list--i.e., the newly selected note will not appear for 2-5 seconds.

Is Evernote going out of business? Time to find alternatives?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, goodguy3000hd said:

Is Evernote going out of business?

Hi.  No

1 hour ago, goodguy3000hd said:

Time to find alternatives?

Your choice.

Have you restarted your system / reinstalled the app / contacted Support?  Most users seem not to have a major issue with performance,  though a small number of Windows users clearly have.  If and when Evernote can identify the cause I'm sure they'll fix it;  meantime if you have an issue it's best to contact Support on https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action if you're a paying customer,  Twitter - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps if not.  

• Level 5*

I have seen issues related to updates to the Windows platform that seem to go away for a short time after the updates to Evernote, but then come back or are different at the next Windows release. Not something Evernote can do much about unless they are able to coordinate with the MS developers, which I think is highly unlikely (unless they are bought by MS).

If you are thinking about OneNote think carefully. For all the bugs and faults in Evernote, I still believe it is probably the best note-keeping option available.

The FactMan! What a great name.. love it! Fact is, Evernote doesn't care until a large chunk of the (paying) user base complains. Whatever... that's logical and understandable (psych). Until that happens, and it won't anytime soon... dump Evernote and try some alternatives. Man, I can't believe people are still complaining about this.

It's true, OneNote is a solid alternative. Also, I don't use Simplenote, but I recommend you try that. Consider WorkFlowy, Typora / ghostwriter and blogging on WP.

Just ask yourself, are you takin' notes or doing some more advanced? Chances are, if you wanna take notes.. (a buggy) Evernote, OneNote, Simplenote and even notepad app will do the job.
If you want more from your notes app, it sounds like you might be a power-user that just needs to tweak the bad habit of using Evernote.
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, Webmaster said:

Fact is, Evernote doesn't care until a large chunk of the (paying) user base complains.

The fact is that Evernote has implemented these forums to solicit feedback from users (paying and non-paying); one of the resources to fix issues with the product.

I'm not the "complains" type; I submit bug reports when I discover issues

>>If you want more from your notes app, it sounds like you might be a power-user that just needs to tweak the bad habit of using Evernote.

While I welcome Evernote clearing up bugs; for advanced features I turn to external editors; Word/Pages for word processing, Excel/Pages for spreadsheets, ...  I use the Evernote editor for basic notes

• Level 5
3 hours ago, Webmaster said:
Just ask yourself, are you takin' notes or doing some more advanced? Chances are, if you wanna take notes.. (a buggy) Evernote, OneNote, Simplenote and even notepad app will do the job.
If you want more from your notes app, it sounds like you might be a power-user that just needs to tweak the bad habit of using Evernote.

To me, this is kind of the crux of the problem. People use (sometimes even pay for) Evernote, then grow dissatisfied because they expect it to do more than take notes ... the notes that are right there in its name. Putting Evernote in the same category as Notepad is hardly fair; but notes is what it was made for, and notes is what it does best, in all sorts of locations, with a variety of media, and across multiple platforms. If that's not enough, then people definitely should be looking for Eversomethingmoreadvancedthannotes. I'm a power user, and I powerfully use :) multiple pieces of software and try to get the most out of each, within the range of its intended purposes.

On 12/30/2017 at 4:12 PM, goodguy3000hd said:

I have the same annoying problem (v6.8.7.6387, paid user) on a high performance Windows 10 workstation as of 12/30/2017. No evidence of CPU spike or any other common causes of such behavior. Anecdotally, it seems to happen to me on all notes (new notes, big notes, etc.). I tried disabling instant-sync, but the problem persists.

The program will also often hang when switching between notes in the note list--i.e., the newly selected note will not appear for 2-5 seconds.

Is Evernote going out of business? Time to find alternatives?

Follow-up: based on the suggestion of others here, I rebooted Windows 10, and Evernote seems to be behaving normally again after a few days thus far. I'd likely not rebooted for 1-2 weeks (no sleeps or hibernation) when noticing this problem prior to rebooting.

I don't know why Evernote would degrade over time. I didn't notice whether Evernote had a memory leak--my memory wasn't being gobbled up at the time, but I don't know what memory use is normal for Evernote. I did completely close Evernote prior to rebooting, but it didn't improve after re-starting. My other programs didn't show signs of typing lag or stuttering while Evernote had this problem.

Anyway, rebooting Windows 10 fixed it for me.

PS. I also disabled spell-checking as you type that may or may not be a factor. It did not fix the typing lag before rebooting. But I suspect most people would be better off NOT showing typing errors as one types because it's distracting to the purpose of getting thoughts down quickly without interruption.

3 hours ago, goodguy3000hd said:

Follow-up: based on the suggestion of others here, I rebooted Windows 10, and Evernote seems to be behaving normally again after a few days thus far. I'd likely not rebooted for 1-2 weeks (no sleeps or hibernation) when noticing this problem prior to rebooting.

I wish the fix would be this simple for me. I reboot both my Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines daily.

I have the same issue on Windows 10 with a new Lenovo Y520 Legion laptop. I reboot the machine every day. 

As I'm typing in Evernote, the cursor freezes periodically (it happens frequently - sometimes every line) for a half second or so (occasionally longer) - frustrating.

I've tried disabling my anti virus, disabling spell check in Evernote, decreasing the synchronization frequency, but nothing seems to help. Task manager doesn't show unusual CPU spikes or anything while I'm using Evernote. The log file doesn't have any obvious error messages.

I changed the auto save interval from 30 to 300 seconds (5 minutes) and it seems to have resolved the issue.

Options --> Note --> "Automatically save edited note every [30] seconds". Don't know how I missed such an obvious configuration candidate for this issue.

I assume I'll get a long lag every 5 minutes but normally don't type for that long. The option doesn't prevent notes from be saved (they get saved automatically when you switch windows).

My laptop uses a high speed SSD for the OS and applications, and an internal 2TB HD for data. I have the Evernote database on the 2TB drive. So it could be this. I may try moving the Evernote DB to the SSD - but figure I can live with auto save every 5 minutes.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, mackiest said:

Options --> Note --> "Automatically save edited note every [30] seconds".

I had the same option (at 30 seconds) and I don't think I've ever tried changing that.  Thanks for the info (or the reminder)!!  Also trying 300 seconds...

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, mackiest said:

I may try moving the Evernote DB to the SSD

If you have the room I would highly recommend this.  I did it some years back and virtually eliminated any lags.  YMMV though.

19 hours ago, CalS said:

If you have the room I would highly recommend this.  I did it some years back and virtually eliminated any lags.  YMMV though.

I moved the db to my SSD and there's no going back - zero lag AFAICT.

20 hours ago, goodguy3000hd said:

Sorry, I've had my db on an SSD for years and experienced the same problem.

For me, the problem disappeared after rebooting (and perhaps turning off live spell check); hasn't reappeared for about a week thus far.

Yep, seems there are multiple causes for lag. Rebooting didn't help me - lag was occurring constantly even after a fresh boot. In my case it was the auto save frequency (good) and then using an SSD (better). 

21 hours ago, CalS said:

I moved the db to my SSD and there's no going back - zero lag AFAICT.

I am currently running Evernote on the following setup:

Windows 7 64bit Pro

16gb ram

SSD hard drive

Intel I7-4790 CPU

I reboot daily

Typing text should NOT be a problem.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, ybp9003 said:

I am currently running Evernote on the following setup:

Windows 7 64bit Pro

16gb ram

SSD hard drive

Intel I7-4790 CPU

I reboot daily

Typing text should NOT be a problem.

You actually quoted @mackiest.  Anyway, I would agree that you seem to have enough horsepower.  How many notes, sync settings, context on or off?

• Level 5*

At 39GB/60K notes maybe you are stretching the limits of EN performance.  I'm at 18GB/36K notes without any issues, but obviously that is way less than 39GB. 

Only things I could suggest would be to increase the auto save time (Tools - Options - Note) or use this temporary firewall block workaround , https://www.evernote.com/shard/s186/sh/ec05ed88-ae37-457d-b188-399615a71449/00e5278c5643d9fe or try an Optimize data base (Click on Help while pressing Ctrl).

The Firewall block is working fine for now. I read quite a while back somewhere on Evernote's website I believe, that the Evernote database software would handle up to 9 Terabytes before degrading in performance. I believed them and went ahead and got our company to start using it. The business level allows 10gb per month upload quota. At max quota each month we'd be in trouble in four months. Doesn't seem logical for Evernote Inc to set up a customer to fail like that. On top of that, Evernote runs just fine without network access. If it was a database issue, wouldn't it manifest itself regardless of whether it was connected to the internet or not?

What I believe is happening here is they tried to revamp the syncing process and their modifications didn't scale as they intended.

The problem returned, this time within a day of rebooting. It has the irritating pause when the note is being checked for potential upload to the cloud as evidenced by it happening right when the blue up-arrow appears on the upper-right corner of the note-view card version of the note. If "instant sync" is enabled, this will keep happening as you type because it saves, then checks again for changes. If "instant sync" is not enabled, it happens once while typing. Quite annoying.

It seems to me that the larger the note being typed in to (e.g., attachments, images), the longer the pause in typing. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having this issue ever since I installed Evernote on a new build. And it's been driving me nuts.  My old builds don't seem to have this problem but because they are not my main computer, I only use evernote on them sparingly and hardly ever to make notes, just to consult them... so I can't confirm with certainty if they have it or not.  

Anyway, I might have discovered another workaround and seeing as this issue is still not fixed considering it's been showing up for quite a while now, I wanted to share.

I experience the lagging when I'm making a new note.  

What I've done is create a new note with maybe a few words or a name, whatever, as long as it's a note - then close it.  After closing the note, I reopen it edit and add to my hearts content and for some reason I don't have the lagging on it anymore no matter how much I type. 

Maybe it'll work for you. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a user in China and I am using the yinxiang.com service, troubling with the same lag.

I experience this when the note is syncing after a long time offline (or just not be synced). I have submit several tickets on the website and feedbacks via wechat about this problem, with nothing changed. Maybe this forum post could help.

I guess the problem is that the sync network APIs are called in the UI (main) thread and when waiting for the response, they blocked the thread. So when there is no network API called, no lags occurred. That is why my evernote lags only when syncing and the firewall bans will work.

• 3 weeks later...

/*

Begin Rant.....

I believe I read an article about Evernote back when it was just getting started. They hired a magician to give them feedback on their UI. The idea was that, just like a magician masks what happens when he makes a card in his hand disappear, the end user doesn't care what is going on in the background. They just want to be wowed. In the same way, a UI should work like a magician. It should be smooth, beautiful and intuitive and the end user should just go WOW as they use it. Sadly, Evernote seems to have forgotten this.

I have been an advocate for Evernote since 2012. No longer can I in good conscience recommend it to others. Not only does the Windows app have issues, the mobile app is also just as slow, cumbersome and laggy. (Apple & Android) As a co-worker who uninstalled it and refused to utilize it anymore once said to me "It runs like a dog". That was years ago. Evernote. Your app still runs like a dog.

I do not apologize for ranting about this. In the world of programming and app building, you will never be able to satisfy everyone. There is always someone out there that has a need or desire that no one else has. On many occasions, I am one of those people. It just makes sense that a business cannot add every feature requested by every user. It's impossible. I get that.

With that said though, being able to type text without constant freezes and interruptions should not be a feature that users should have to ask for.

End Rant

*/

On 11/3/2017 at 3:01 PM, CalS said:

Yup, someone created a batch process to temporarily block syncing for a time period using a firewall rule.  Works well.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s186/sh/ec05ed88-ae37-457d-b188-399615a71449/00e5278c5643d9fe

Sadly, since our IT department has locked down our computers (Something that I believe should have happened years ago), this workaround no longer works as it requires Admin access to utilize.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, ybp9003 said:

Sadly, since our IT department has locked down our computers (Something that I believe should have happened years ago), this workaround no longer works as it requires Admin access to utilize.

Buy some donuts for an admin?  It's not like you are trying to get to a site, just trying to block one for a bit.  ;)

On 2/28/2018 at 12:29 PM, ybp9003 said:

I have been an advocate for Evernote since 2012. No longer can I in good conscience recommend it to others. Not only does the Windows app have issues, the mobile app is also just as slow, cumbersome and laggy. (Apple & Android) As a co-worker who uninstalled it and refused to utilize it anymore once said to me "It runs like a dog". That was years ago. Evernote. Your app still runs like a dog.

I remember having these issues back in the Evernote 4.x days on my PC, then 5 it seemed like it came around and fixed a lot of these usability issues. Then along came 6, with some cool bells and whistles, and like a ghost from the past the usability started tanking. (I mentioned in a previous thread that I get these input lag pretty bad, but for some reason on shared notes it was downright crippled constantly). It seems to have improved some on my desktop for regular notebooks (not shared), but the lappy still suffers.  Mobile apps though, I remember trying to load simple notes back in the humble iPod Touch 2 days and the note load screen would just spin and spin. I have the same issue on certain notes on my Nexus 7. The workflow isn't interupted there though, because I don't even reach the start and give up and jump on a machine or forget what I was doing.  

I'm still tempted to go down to the last version of 5 and wait for a few versions in of 7.x to see if a possible rebuild goes back to the stability of the 5.x days, but for now I'm teeting between content/complacent that I have one machine I can input into again (though it's back to eating Wiki clips like it always does every couple years, but what are ya gonna do. she's a complex beast). Just can't collaborate with a shared notebook (at least one I didn't create and share myself.) I'm pacified after fixing a couple minor annoyances with some buried settings I had no idea they added. Who would've ever thought to do a ctrl-Help, or that there are note settings buried 2 layers under the toolbar heading "Tools" aside from the "Note" heading for instance..I guess I'm guilty of note reading release notes close enough.)

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to post an update related to my original post in January. 

I've just been on an extended work period on just my laptop which has the same OS and same version of Evernote on it.  The lag doesn't exist on my laptop. While I'm happy that I don't have that problem, I'm still upset that my main desktop still does. Grrrrrr. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have had this problem for ages too, perhaps years?, and it remains even in current version 6.11.2.7027 (307027) Public (CE Build ce-43.0.4829), on Windows 10.
It's infuriating.

Typing input lag should be the #1 usability issue for Evernote to fix. It honestly makes me try alternatives from time to time, because it is so frustrating.

I've had the same problems of typing stutter, plus difficulty in pasting in graphics to notes, and indeed lost content despite synching.  The problems have been around for a while, but the latest version I've been running is 6.11.2, windows 7, 64 bit, with an SSD (my work PC).  The problems are worst in larger notes (e.g. 80 MBytes).

I know my home computer (3 years older machine and windows 7) has none of these problems when I run Evernote 6.2.4 with the same notes.  So after trying everything I could on my work PC (turning off virus protection, frequent synching, rebuild the databases etc), I did a completer removal of Evernote 6.11.2, and a clean install of Evernote 6.2.3 (from: https://evernote.en.uptodown.com/windows/old).

So far everything is running smoothly, and all the problems I was having have disappeared.  I have not checked what functionality the older version might be missing (in terms of features), but I am staying with it !

Hope that is helpful.

12 hours ago, ouzel said:

I've had the same problems of typing stutter, plus difficulty in pasting in graphics to notes, and indeed lost content despite synching.  The problems have been around for a while, but the latest version I've been running is 6.11.2, windows 7, 64 bit, with an SSD (my work PC).  The problems are worst in larger notes (e.g. 80 MBytes).

I know my home computer (3 years older machine and windows 7) has none of these problems when I run Evernote 6.2.4 with the same notes.  So after trying everything I could on my work PC (turning off virus protection, frequent synching, rebuild the databases etc), I did a completer removal of Evernote 6.11.2, and a clean install of Evernote 6.2.3 (from: https://evernote.en.uptodown.com/windows/old).

So far everything is running smoothly, and all the problems I was having have disappeared.  I have not checked what functionality the older version might be missing (in terms of features), but I am staying with it !

Hope that is helpful.

Thanks for sharing that.  I didn't know that it was possible to get old versions of EN! This problem has irked me for so long that I'm all for giving that a try!  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK I got a support response, and these steps seem to have largely solved the lag issue. I'll continue to monitor.

Firstly

1. Select Tools > Options >Syncronization
    • Set the Synchronization setting to 5 Minutes
  2. Select the Note in the option window
  • Scroll down and select Show Advanced Options
  • Uncheck Show Context

Then, if that doesn't fix it, try this:

Rreinstalling the local copy of your notes. This is called a database rebuild.

To rebuild your Evernote for Windows database, follow these steps:

If you don't have any unsynchronized notes, and you do not have Local notebooks, please skip to "Move your existing Evernote database." If you do have unsynchronized notes or local notebooks, follow these steps to export that content:

1. Select all unsynced notes, or each local notebook, then right-click and select Export Notes…
  2. Choose 'Export as a file in ENEX format (.enex)', then click Export
    • Detailed instructions here

Move your existing Evernote database:

1. Open Evernote for Windows
  2. Select File > Sign out… from the menu bar
  3. Select Evernote > Options > General > Open Database folder
  4. Move the [username].exb file to your desktop
  5. Open Evernote and log in to your Evernote account

Evernote will download all of your synced notes from the servers and create a new database on your computer. You can then import any exported notes by selecting File > Import from the menu bar.

Unfortunately, after following the steps from the response from support, I have experienced no measurable change in the typing lag. :(

I have yet to try the rolling back to an earlier version though. 

• 3 months later...

This lag is still exists in the latest version of the evernote. Haven't tried the steps from the post above but guys - it should not be laggy out of the box.

I would say that it's a critical bug for the essential feature - to type without interruptions.

P.S.: I have more than 11000 notes, the performance is great but this bug is super annoying. It's a shame that it still not fixed.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Pavel Sapehin said:

It's a shame that it still not fixed.

Hi.  Have you tried an uninstall / reinstall?  Have you raised this with Support?  Depending on the number and details of requests they receive,  they may consider this issue resolved unless and until they're able to investigate more cases and examine logs / check settings etc.  The developers will read your comments here,  but there's been no other movement on this thread for months.... and the comments earlier from @Giri Fox aren't a 'fix' for a bad app - he's simply suggesting changing the optional settings to optimise performance,  or replace your existing database with a server-side refresh. 

Both operations would attract a stream of outrage from other users (including me) if done unilaterally on update.

Archived