A bit of Wiki in Evernote

raphaelaguiar

Idea

We, Humans, have been using cabinets, notebooks, folders, files and notes to store data for long. Why? Because this used to be the only technology we knew for it. 

However, It's not the natural way our mind deals with information. Our brain is a network rather than a cabinet. We need to quickly associate ideas, thoughts and all kind of information to be productive and creative!

EN would become a killer if it allows more flexibility for outlining information. What about becoming more wiki-style, like some past programs (SeoNote, Treepad) or present services such as Confluence and Notion.so?

By doing so, Evernote would allow teams to collaborate and share common places (not notes!) which could be actually workplaces or even hyperlinked Knowledge Bases (not a stack of notebooks!).

I think this is the future of information management. I really want Evernote to embrace it.

6 replies to this idea

While you can interlink notes (with the copy note link context menu) it is process is an onerous 5 step process involving copy/paste, context menus, and all-together too many mouse interactions.

Adding wiki link syntax that we could simply type like [[new page name]] would be a huge improvement.

• Level 5*
54 minutes ago, Andy Nu said:

Adding wiki link syntax that we could simply type like [[new page name]] would be a huge improvement.

Evernote is not known for its Markup features. 

My solution is scripting (Mac) to

1. Current Note
         Copy selected text (New Note Name)
         Copy Link
  2. New Note
         Create New Note
         Paste Link to Current Note
         Copy Link
  3. Current Note
         Paste Link to New Note
  • Level 5*
On 6/1/2017 at 8:27 PM, raphaelaguiar said:

However, It's not the natural way our mind deals with information. Our brain is a network rather than a cabinet. We need to quickly associate ideas, thoughts and all kind of information to be productive and creative!

Right now, you can link to other notes, or you can use tags to freely associate notes with subjects/topics/keywords/etc.

Short of a largish architectural change to Evernote, that's probably all you're going to see for awhile.

I have never seen a wiki that was not on a single data  container.  With Evernote supporting multiple Notebooks, not sure how they could make that happen, though it would be nice.

I have also not seen too many examples of a multiplatform wiki (I know of only one, for the Palm and Windows platform, abandoned long before the demise of the Palm platform)

Archived