Evernote for Windows 6.6 Beta 2 Released

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Today we're releasing version 6.6 Beta 2 - you cadownload it here. This release refines the features we announced in Beta 1 around table improvements, image previews and adds support for emojis in notes along with a number of bug fixes.  As always, we're looking to the Beta community to help us uncover bugs - please let us know if you spot any issues in your existing workflows and let us know if you're able to take advantage of the new feature improvements. 

Improvement to tables
You can now merge cells, to add more layers of organization to your tables! 
You can now copy multiple cells and paste into selected cells

Improvements to image gallery
We’ve improved the UI for the gallery to make it clearer that you’re in a different mode

Emojis
Evernote for Windows now supports emojis, so you can quickly add texture, fun, and emotion to your notes! (Supported on Windows 8 & Windows 10) 

Bug fixes for issues in the Beta 1 build:
When copying an Evernote table and pasting it elsewhere in a note, styles were sometimes unexpectedly changed in the pasted table 
Paste and match style was retaining the style of the copy source
Various other bug fixes

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Windows and the Editor team! 

--------------------

Full release notes for version 6.6: 

Evernote for Windows 6.6 Release Notes

Major improvements to tables!

Some highlights:

• Quickly add rows and columns – via the plus button
  • Easily select cells – by clicking-and-dragging, or by clicking the column/row headers
  • Efficiently drag and drop rows & columns – by clicking on the row/column headers, and then dragging and dropping the row/column elsewhere
  • Better copy/paste – copy multiple cells, then place your cursor anywhere in the table to paste into multiple cells
  • New fixed width columns – so that as you increase/decrease one column’s width, it does not affect the next column’s width
  • New horizontally scrollable tables – so that you won’t need to expand your window wide to view a table that has many columns
  • Access advanced table functions – via the new menu which provides options such as
    • Resizing the table width to match the current window size
    • Distributing selected columns evenly
    • Adjusting alignment of content in cells
    • Changing cell background color
  • Additional info: The new tables do not support "table-in-table" or "merged cell" functionality. If you paste incompatible tables into a note, then the tables in the note will not have the updated table features or controls (including resizing). In a future update, we plan to support pasted-in tables that have merged cells.

New image gallery!

Double-click on an image to enter the gallery mode, which allows you to quickly browse all the images in your note!

New editor

Evernote for Windows now utilizes the new editor, which has been rewritten to allow for more rapid improvements to the editor moving forward.

Improved Share dialog

More easily share notes via our improved UI which allows sharing to another evernote user or through a public link.

Bug fixes

A number of user reported bugs are now fixed in this release:

• Notes with tables and checkboxes were sometimes causing the app to hang
  • Line breaks were sometimes hidden below the bottom margin of the note
  • When attempting to repeatedly add attachments to a note, sometimes attachments fail to be added to note
  • When copying text from an email that contains dates/times that have were auto-formatted as links, sometimes the dates/times were not pastable into Evernote
  • If a user had changed their font size, began typing text and creating line breaks, and then deleted some text, the font size would sometimes unexpectedly revert back to the default size
  • Undo often did not work on the first try when there was a table in the note

----------------------------------

Screenshots

Emoji support and improved table editing with cell merging!

image.thumb.png.9e446002c7745046ca14d4a9d11d69c5.png

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Level 5*

Trouble is 'fixing the printing' in Windows means doing that for all the version of Windows out there,  plus Web,  MacOS,  iOS and Android.  Until late last year these all had their own unique editor software so that was a dozen or so individual fixes.  Evernote have been working on replacing the different editors with one common package,  and the tables features are the first upgrade to be rolled out.  I'd say Evernote are working on the issues,  just not as fast as everyone seems to wish they would.

3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Trouble is 'fixing the printing' in Windows means doing that for all the version of Windows out there,  plus Web,  MacOS,  iOS and Android.  Until late last year these all had their own unique editor software so that was a dozen or so individual fixes.  Evernote have been working on replacing the different editors with one common package,  and the tables features are the first upgrade to be rolled out.  I'd say Evernote are working on the issues,  just not as fast as everyone seems to wish they would.

You're wrong about that. Printing from the web for example is the responsibility of the web browser and nothing to do with EN. EN may provide a print-friendly style sheet but doesn't have to specifically render for a printer device. I've no idea what the print output from OS X, iOS and Android are like but I suspect that's irrelevant too and there's not a lot of common code (either way: you render a bitmap at the printer resolution or draw something akin to PS, depending on how the OS advertises its print capabilities and squirt the result to the print queue). It's not really related to the editor itself either, just the rendering engine. Clearly that's very different for each platform as what I see in the way note content is rendered between Windows and Android isn't massively common (I'm not sure what's common about the editors anyway, I still can't create or edit a table on Android, for example).

As for the Windows variants, well it's broken identically for all the versions of Windows I've had access to (XP, 7, 10) so I suspect the fix for them all will also be the same for all.

It's not actually printing per se that's broken, it's the rendering of the page before being sent to the print destination that's shafted (whether Print Preview, physical printer, PDF etc).By that measure printing actually works perfectly in that the end result seems to be exactly what EN renders, but it renders poorly.

The most irritating problem (clipping of italic characters) is easily identifiable: EN renders an unnecessary white rectangle behind every character when printing. I expect it's exactly the same size as the character's bounding box, but it's pointless and each box is rendered over the previous character thus clipping it.

I'd be interested in what part of this you think EN is working on because it's been this way for many years and there's always a deafening silence from EN staff when printing 'idiosyncrasies' are raised here.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Liam Gretton said:

I'd be interested in what part of this you think EN is working on because it's been this way for many years and there's always a deafening silence from EN staff when printing 'idiosyncrasies' are raised here.

Well on the beta before this one...

I Have noticed Random Table squishing only happening in the Beta.  a table will randomly shrink its column size to about 1 or 2 characters wide.  I have to resize the tables when this happens.  Please fix this issue.  this doesn't always happen but it is very frequent.  Also I like that the pdf attachments now size to the table block it gets inserted in.594ad7107a76a_tableblockgettingsqueezed.thumb.PNG.3197454cfee6490ee65d2eb34e57ecbb.PNG594ad713dd38d_tableblockascreated.thumb.PNG.8d8e8f67f9dce5b89999879173e20105.PNG

Will Evernote add touch support for reading notes, i.e. the ability to scroll notes up and down with swiping motions? Without this feature, it is very difficult to read notes on a touch device such as Surface Pro. Using the scroll bar is a painful experience.

• Level 5*

Small bug.  If you select a row in a table in which you have previously changed the font size, the size that appears in the formatting bar is the default, not the actual font.  Selecting by cell works fine.

1.png.597b2b4dccaebaf9416011162d62265b.png

ScreenClip.png.496e4161fa701c6c633135308386e51e.png

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Liam Gretton said:

That was a reply to a question about markdown and text styles, nothing to do with fixing printing bugs.

Yup,  but when I said:

On 6/21/2017 at 0:49 PM, gazumped said:

Evernote have been working on replacing the different editors with one common package

And you said:

On 6/21/2017 at 4:14 PM, Liam Gretton said:

I'd be interested in what part of this you think EN is working on

Johnathan Herbert said " The recent editor changes, the restructuring of the underlying ENML, etc, are being done to enable more advanced and delightful things like the features you mentioned. "

And you said:

On 6/21/2017 at 4:14 PM, Liam Gretton said:

there's always a deafening silence from EN staff

And that JH quote was from May about stuff to do with the editor,  which is kinda fundamental to printing.

Evernote generally don't get into discussion about development work anyway but it seems like there's some activity going on there.  Just sayin.  My post was my opinion,  and you're perfectly entitled to disagree. 

(And the new common-editor-based table layouts for Mac came out in the past 24 hours too...)

I have noticed a problem, anyone else? When I right-click on a note and select "copy internal link", and then go and paste it into another note...the 4 lines or so above where I pasted disappear.  So at this point I cannot insert links to other notes because when i do, the content above the link placement is deleted.

before.jpg

after.jpg

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, CR5150 said:

I have noticed a problem, anyone else? When I right-click on a note and select "copy internal link", and then go and paste it into another note...the 4 lines or so above where I pasted disappear.  So at this point I cannot insert links to other notes because when i do, the content above the link placement is deleted.

before.jpg

after.jpg

Just tried that - doesn't seem to be an issue for me...

On 6/21/2017 at 3:31 PM, JEFFREY @ HAEGER said:

I Have noticed Random Table squishing only happening in the Beta.  a table will randomly shrink its column size to about 1 or 2 characters wide.  I have to resize the tables when this happens.  Please fix this issue.  this doesn't always happen but it is very frequent.  Also I like that the pdf attachments now size to the table block it gets inserted in.594ad7107a76a_tableblockgettingsqueezed.thumb.PNG.3197454cfee6490ee65d2eb34e57ecbb.PNG594ad713dd38d_tableblockascreated.thumb.PNG.8d8e8f67f9dce5b89999879173e20105.PNG

Could you send the ENEX file for this note to Customer Support, they will get it to dev to see what is going on (behind the scenes) 

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, CR5150 said:

I have noticed a problem, anyone else? When I right-click on a note and select "copy internal link", and then go and paste it into another note...the 4 lines or so above where I pasted disappear.

I have not seen this behavior either.  Does it happen every time you try to paste an internal link?

Hi,

I'm new here, support has been really pushing for me to give my feedback only in user forums, which I think really sucks and is a very efficient way to not listen to feedback.

I installed the beta, so I'm giving feedback for that, but also feedback in general.

I do not want to create a separate post for each item, that would be too much work. I will probably post this message in another section, if appropriate. 

1. I don't like this image viewer. I use Windows Photo Viewer, which is fast. How can I disable this new evernote image viewer?

When I double click an image, I want to have it opened in my default photo viewer. Also, it is retarded to have a double click to open inside the same, and then have clicks ZOOM. It took me a while before I discovered how to get out of that view, I kept trying to click to undo whatever just happened.

Also, If you double click outside of the image region, it will close the zoomed view, but it will close on the first click. The second click will then be on top of the sidebar, which will open the notebook/tag/bookmark, and will make me lose the position and the note that was opened. It really sucks having this evernote image viewer. Please add an option to disable it. 

2. Fix subscript typing. I use subscript and superscript a lot now that I discovered it exists. Previously, I would just have used underscore. But now, the note editor provides no way to know when subscript/superscript is enabled or not, so often I will type, and it will be formatted wrong. It is really unpredictable to me to know when some formatting option is enabled or note. Often I click in a new line, and the line will start formatted. If I press the shortcut to disable, it doesnt disable for the next characters, or for the next new line. 

3. Fix the image annotator. The menus of the icons are really annoying to use. When you press an icon hoping the option you want is there, and it isn't, you have to drag the mouse back, and wait for it to disappear. It takes too long to launch and open an image. There is no way to drag the view, all the mouse buttons do the same action, which is to draw. That is really ***** when you have an image zoomed in. Allow zoom when cropping: photoshop has the most awesome cropper I've ever seen. Make it work more like the photoshop cropper.

4. Allow scrolling the note editor past the bottom of the screen. When I writing a note, I often want to make the line I'm typing at least in the middle of the screen.

5. Allow tabs, make the work like the indenting shortcut. So, then, Tab would work like ctrl+m, and shift+tab should work like ctrl+shift+m.

6. Allow adding more tags than it fits the screen in the note editor. CUrrently, if you try to add more tabs than it fits, it will open a modal dialog, and pressing enter will close the tag field. There is no way to add multiple tags then, and worse, this behavior is inconsistent with how tags work when all the tags are visible. 

7. Fuzzy matching for search, title, tab, and notebook editor. 

8. Sync software preferences. If I ever have to reinstall evernote, it will reset all my settings, which really really sucks. I'm fine not having some minor things implemented everywhere, but there should be a way to backup and restore (ideally sync) the preferences I've set up. 

This is what I can think for now. 

• Level 5*

Ctrl-Alt-T should be the shortcut for calling up the tag dialog box. Works if I select it through the menu system, but not when I use the advertised shortcut keys. Please bring that back.

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, FactMan said:

Ctrl-Alt-T should be the shortcut for calling up the tag dialog box. Works if I select it through the menu system, but not when I use the advertised shortcut keys. Please bring that back.

Still is working for me.  Have you tried shutting down EN and restarting?  Also, installed any new software that might also use Ctrl-Alt-T as a shortcut?

• Level 5*

Bug.  For synced notebooks, when you close the new window after creating a new note there is an Untitled Note in addition to the new note in the note list.  As far as I can tell that entry disappears after a sync most of the time, though sometimes it takes clicking on another note for it to go away.  

Seems the place keeper Untitled Note should be overwritten by the actual note title as soon as it is entered (as it does in list view when editing a title in the note panel), as opposed to displaying an additional "phantom" note.  If you click on Untitled Note when it is visible after the close you create a second note.

Creating a new note in a local notebook works as one might expect, enter the title and Untitled Note changes to the note title, no extra note entries.

ScreenClip.png.12522bb7a951df6ac7ba58ee893adba5.png

Not sure if this Bug has been reported or not. It appears the "Cell Alignment" feature does not "save" new selection whether it be "Align Content to Center" or "Align Content to Bottom". The cell's alignment setting returns to the default, "Align Content to Top".     

• Level 5*
36 minutes ago, fchandler said:

Not sure if this Bug has been reported or not. It appears the "Cell Alignment" feature does not "save" new selection whether it be "Align Content to Center" or "Align Content to Bottom". The cell's alignment setting returns to the default, "Align Content to Top".     

Yeah, I can confirm this bug.

My issue with this beta was that it did not play nice with editing notes created with the previous editor. When I opened such a note and typed 3-4 words evernote would hang for 30-60 seconds, then I would type the next 3-4 words and again it would hang, and so-on. It seemed fine with new notes though.  Customer Service was able to reproduce the issue and they are working on it. I'm just surprised no one else noticed it - it really made this beta impossible to use. Obviously I reverted to the last release.

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 4:17 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

Today we're releasing version 6.6 Beta 2 - you cadownload it here. This release refines the features we announced in Beta 1 around table improvements, image previews and adds support for emojis in notes along with a number of bug fixes.  As always, we're looking to the Beta community to help us uncover bugs - please let us know if you spot any issues in your existing workflows and let us know if you're able to take advantage of the new feature improvements. 

Improvement to tables
You can now merge cells, to add more layers of organization to your tables! 
You can now copy multiple cells and paste into selected cells

Improvements to image gallery
We’ve improved the UI for the gallery to make it clearer that you’re in a different mode

Emojis
Evernote for Windows now supports emojis, so you can quickly add texture, fun, and emotion to your notes! (Supported on Windows 8 & Windows 10) 

Bug fixes for issues in the Beta 1 build:
When copying an Evernote table and pasting it elsewhere in a note, styles were sometimes unexpectedly changed in the pasted table 
Paste and match style was retaining the style of the copy source
Various other bug fixes

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Windows and the Editor team! 

--------------------

Full release notes for version 6.6: 

Evernote for Windows 6.6 Release Notes

Major improvements to tables!

Some highlights:

• Quickly add rows and columns – via the plus button
  • Easily select cells – by clicking-and-dragging, or by clicking the column/row headers
  • Efficiently drag and drop rows & columns – by clicking on the row/column headers, and then dragging and dropping the row/column elsewhere
  • Better copy/paste – copy multiple cells, then place your cursor anywhere in the table to paste into multiple cells
  • New fixed width columns – so that as you increase/decrease one column’s width, it does not affect the next column’s width
  • New horizontally scrollable tables – so that you won’t need to expand your window wide to view a table that has many columns
  • Access advanced table functions – via the new menu which provides options such as
    • Resizing the table width to match the current window size
    • Distributing selected columns evenly
    • Adjusting alignment of content in cells
    • Changing cell background color
  • Additional info: The new tables do not support "table-in-table" or "merged cell" functionality. If you paste incompatible tables into a note, then the tables in the note will not have the updated table features or controls (including resizing). In a future update, we plan to support pasted-in tables that have merged cells.

New image gallery!

Double-click on an image to enter the gallery mode, which allows you to quickly browse all the images in your note!

New editor

Evernote for Windows now utilizes the new editor, which has been rewritten to allow for more rapid improvements to the editor moving forward.

Improved Share dialog

More easily share notes via our improved UI which allows sharing to another evernote user or through a public link.

Bug fixes

A number of user reported bugs are now fixed in this release:

• Notes with tables and checkboxes were sometimes causing the app to hang
  • Line breaks were sometimes hidden below the bottom margin of the note
  • When attempting to repeatedly add attachments to a note, sometimes attachments fail to be added to note
  • When copying text from an email that contains dates/times that have were auto-formatted as links, sometimes the dates/times were not pastable into Evernote
  • If a user had changed their font size, began typing text and creating line breaks, and then deleted some text, the font size would sometimes unexpectedly revert back to the default size
  • Undo often did not work on the first try when there was a table in the note

----------------------------------

Screenshots

Emoji support and improved table editing with cell merging!

image.thumb.png.9e446002c7745046ca14d4a9d11d69c5.png

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, KEK99 said:

So now that Evernote is ending support for Windows -- GRRRRRRRRRRRR -- should we download this version?

afaik    There is no indication that Evernote is ending support for Windows

There is news about support for Windows/Blackberry phones

OK, Windows phone, which is my primary interface with Evernote.  Why would Evernote support Windows but not the Windows phone?  Sent to my inbox 6 hours ago:

On June 29, 2017, Evernote will discontinue support for BlackBerry and Windows Phone.

Customers who currently use these apps may continue to do so after June 29, but these apps will no longer be available for download and we won’t be making any further updates.

As always, you can access and edit your notes from any desktop web browser or any other supported device where you have Evernote installed.
Learn more
  • Level 5*

Ah.  I understand now.  Windows phone is no longer even supported by Microsoft - they're moving everything into Windows 10 as I understand it - so I can see why Evernote doesn't want to spend more money on a small group of users that will only get smaller.  But with respect they haven't said you can no longer use the current app,  just that it won't be updated in future.  You should have another several months of use out of it at least.

Your next Windows phone will run Windows 10 so you should be able to go back to a more up to date version of Evernote when you change.

• Level 5*

Windows Phone IIRC is the older version, as @gazumped said. I found that even Windows 10 on a phone platform was poorly supported. Getting apps that worked properly was becoming more an more difficult. So, I switched to an iPhone. Perfect solution? Far from it, but now I can choose one from many apps that don't work. Eventually, I can find "solutions" for most of those challenges. Good luck with yours.

• Level 5*
On 6/25/2017 at 2:25 PM, csihilling said:

Still is working for me.  Have you tried shutting down EN and restarting?  Also, installed any new software that might also use Ctrl-Alt-T as a shortcut?

Yes, did the restarting test - failed. Could be challenging finding the program that "stole" the shortcut. Maybe Evernote should provide a way of finding conflicts with its standard shortcuts and allow us to choose one? I know, fat chance, but I had to ask!!

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, KEK99 said:

Why would Evernote support Windows but not the Windows phone?

Because it isn't the same platform, and the latter has under 1% share and continues to drop. MS has dropped the platform, and I am surprised Evernote waited this long. Even MS does little to support it on the app side. Skype was dropped recently for example.

15 hours ago, EdH said:

Because it isn't the same platform

Which I can most assuredly confirm. I'm a Windows desktop dev.

(my first thought when reading the message that started this - WAIT - did someone forget to tell me something?!?!?!)

On 6/27/2017 at 4:19 AM, KorHacker said:

Thank you for update. I love Emojis. but i found some error on Emojis. pls check my image. Thanks.

error.JPG

Sorry for missing what is probably obvious (minus the menu being behind everything) what is the Emoji error?

21 hours ago, dconnet said:

Which I can most assuredly confirm. I'm a Windows desktop dev.

(my first thought when reading the message that started this - WAIT - did someone forget to tell me something?!?!?!)

Mobile has different design issues than desktop, and it's not like you can just install the evernote.exe on a phone hope it works fine

Anyway the primary clients now are web, mac, windows, iOS, and Android 

Just upgraded to 6.6.2.5173 and notice that Control + Space does not simplify formatting anymore.....anyone else having this problem? Have tried on numerous notes....Was a great feature has this been removed??

8 minutes ago, bradsayers said:

Just upgraded to 6.6.2.5173 and notice that Control + Space does not simplify formatting anymore.....anyone else having this problem? Have tried on numerous notes....Was a great feature has this been removed??

It sort of works, the action is functional just not behavior of simplify formatting - we have a request in to reverse this behavior and return simplify formatting to how it used to function 

Tables are great. Mostly everything looks great. But this step backwards with the copy/paste being sort of like OneNote's is a real pain. Copy from somewhere, paste into Notepad, copy from Notepad, paste into Evernote. This is frustrating if I forget to first paste into Notepad. Please bring back the Paste-as-Text (Ctrl-Shift-v).

2 小時前, OrbWeaver說:

Tables are great. Mostly everything looks great. But this step backwards with the copy/paste being sort of like OneNote's is a real pain. Copy from somewhere, paste into Notepad, copy from Notepad, paste into Evernote. This is frustrating if I forget to first paste into Notepad. Please bring back the Paste-as-Text (Ctrl-Shift-v).

Totally Agree! 

Make it optional is better~

• Level 5*

OK - print issue:  the options to choose a selection or specific pages are all greyed out in the dialogue.  This was also true of the last GA release,  but I verified it still applies -

The table formatting enhancements are very welcome indeed. I think it's one of the big ticket items I've been waiting for for a long time.

The other (top 2) item I've been waiting for since I started using Evernote Premium, is the addition of styles. I don't want to select the font and font size for a heading 1 in every single note and have to remember what the style was I used in the other notes. And I'd like to be able to have different set of styles for different groups of notes. This is not rocket science guys.

Is there a product roadmap published somewhere, where the public can be allowed to vote for the upcoming features?

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Henning Tegner said:

where the public can be allowed to vote for the upcoming features?

There is a request forum for such posts.  Voting buttons are in the upper left corner of the discussion

On 6/1/2017 at 11:52 PM, runsheng said:

For windows version.

The white space (left and right) in displaying notes are toooooooo much! And I can not find a way to reduce them.

Roll back to 6.5 now.

ScreenClip.png

ScreenClip.png

Let's hope they listen. I hate to be a pesimist, but so many companies don't listen once they've grown. I updated to the new 6.6 Beta 2, and went back to the public release simply because of the margin on the sides. In Word, I can adjust the margins. In Evernote, I couldn't, so I downgraded. I have given my employees small wall mounted monitors to see projects, tasks, and write ups in Evernote. The added margin is too much. Let us change it.

Someone said the same thing in January of this year about the web interface. Makes me think this isn't going to be looked at seriously. https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/95688-like-to-go-back-to-old-webinterface/?do=findComment&comment=452033

• Level 5*

Bug?  So I have one note that has two tables in it.  Prior to 6.6.2 both tables were visible in total in the note window.  With 6.6.2 five rows of the second table are off the bottom of the screen.  This is due to the amount of padding in the tables.  PITA.  So I thought I would try and adjust the HTML.

I exported the note in HTML format, edited the HTML, and substituted padding: 3px for padding 8px.  When the resultant HTML file is opened in a browser the 3px padding is in effect and things tighten up.  However, when I drag the new HTML file into EN and create a note, the padding: 3px has no effect, still the same  airy table.  Exporting the newly created note and looking at the HTML I find padding: 3px in the code - just not being used in the display.  

Basically, you can have two of the "same" note, one with 3px and one with 8px for padding, and you get the same spacing in the note window.  Is this on purpose?  

The ability to tweak some of the simpler visual settings was a benefit of 6.5.  Some of that need has been eliminated with the new functions of 6.6.2, thanks for that.  Personally, I don't like things jumbled, but I think the current defaults waste too much space.  

Detour - in the same vein, not sure I care for the font color changing when I change the background color for a cell.  Almost like I'm getting more help than I seek.  ;)

EDIT:  Side by side browser view, "same' note.  8px default on the left, 3 px on the right.

ScreenClip.png.ce7bdb6177d6b966acdfe7034cabc032.png

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, Michael Goulding said:

I use indented text a lot and I've found a bug in the editor that scares me!

type some text
indented
text
like this
then add an empty line...

and hit backspace and it wipes the entire block of indented text!

Yup.  I can verify that.  Interesting...

On 7/1/2017 at 9:25 AM, Henning Tegner said:

The table formatting enhancements are very welcome indeed. I think it's one of the big ticket items I've been waiting for for a long time.

The other (top 2) item I've been waiting for since I started using Evernote Premium, is the addition of styles. I don't want to select the font and font size for a heading 1 in every single note and have to remember what the style was I used in the other notes. And I'd like to be able to have different set of styles for different groups of notes. This is not rocket science guys.

Is there a product roadmap published somewhere, where the public can be allowed to vote for the upcoming features?

It isn't normal for a company to published a product roadmap (in case we change our mind of what we want to do or other reasons) 

However styles is one of the options being considered for the future (I don't know the status or the priority) 

Hi,

There is the most irritating and counter productive bug (hope you won't call it a feature) in 6.6.2.5173

Copy partial text from code section (not including the end to assure there is no accidental cr/lf selection)

Paste it in a shell window, and cr/lf is pasted along effectively executing code that the intention was never to execute without typing more data.

Can't tell you enough how aggravating this is, I know the issue and yet I find myself always falling prey to it.

Please please fix this.

Thanks

35 minutes ago, Hrant said:

Hi,

There is the most irritating and counter productive bug (hope you won't call it a feature) in 6.6.2.5173

Copy partial text from code section (not including the end to assure there is no accidental cr/lf selection)

Paste it in a shell window, and cr/lf is pasted along effectively executing code that the intention was never to execute without typing more data.

Can't tell you enough how aggravating this is, I know the issue and yet I find myself always falling prey to it.

Please please fix this.

Thanks

To Ensure this isn't forgotten about, I filed a new bug for tracking the problem 

Would the lack of Paste-as-text (Ctrl-Shift-v) be something for a feedback post or would this be considered a bug? It's a serious problem for me when I grab something like a waybill number for a shipment (off perhaps a web page) and can't get the number without the formatting. It may be 72 point on their web page but I just want the number stored in my note, not a GIANT number. It messes up the formatting of everything else. Whatever this issue is (feedback or bug,) where should I post it?

22 minutes ago, OrbWeaver said:

Would the lack of Paste-as-text (Ctrl-Shift-v) be something for a feedback post or would this be considered a bug? It's a serious problem for me when I grab something like a waybill number for a shipment (off perhaps a web page) and can't get the number without the formatting. It may be 72 point on their web page but I just want the number stored in my note, not a GIANT number. It messes up the formatting of everything else. Whatever this issue is (feedback or bug,) where should I post it?

I agree. I would never update to a version that did not include this option for the reason you state.

3 hours ago, lisec said:

I agree. I would never update to a version that did not include this option for the reason you state.

3 hours ago, OrbWeaver said:

Technically the command works, what is broken is what it is doing during the paste operation.  That is currently being worked on. 

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

Technically the command works, what is broken is what it is doing during the paste operation.  That is currently being worked on. 

download.png.cb486b0dea07a9f2d4ca66a0f7100bdd.png

;)

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, Dinh Hai Dang said:

Is there any way to fix the high DPI scaling problem? EN really is frustrating to use with high DPI screen.

Hi.  Thought this had been fixed already - what's your device / display specs?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Dinh Hai Dang said:

Is there any way to fix the high DPI scaling problem? EN really is frustrating to use with high DPI screen.

Works fine on my Surface pro 4 which is High DPI. What issue specifically are you seeing?

2 hours ago, EdH said:

Works fine on my Surface pro 4 which is High DPI. What issue specifically are you seeing?

This one is 125% scaling.

595f95e0e4e38_Screenshot(6).thumb.png.b89aaec68203dffb6b6d3f28e38f93ce.png

This one is 150% scaling, which looks a lot nicer. Appropriate white spacing while on 125% it's too compact. This only happens with Evernote. Other apps I have adjust nicely when I change the scaling.

595f95dc92f1e_Screenshot(7).thumb.png.761092dedb06a6e3c71328e11210835d.png

• Level 5*
46 minutes ago, Dinh Hai Dang said:

This one is 125% scaling.

This one is 150% scaling, which looks a lot nicer. Appropriate white spacing while on 125% it's too compact. This only happens with Evernote. Other apps I have adjust nicely when I change the scaling.

I have to admit, I don't see the difference. I can tell one is smaller than the other due to the 125% vs 150%, but I cannot tell that they are disproportionate in any way compared to each other. Must be my lack of design sense.

• Level 5*

Are there plans to fix the right-click menu when in a table? I agree it is important to ahve the add/remove row and other table functions, but don't agree that removing everything else makes sense.

I just had to copy some text from a web page and put in a table, but the "paste and match style" was missing. As was Paste, and everything else in the normal menu. I ahd to go below the table, paste and match style there, then copy and paste again. It would haven worse if I had had some custom format in a cell. Then I would have had to:

1. Copy custom formatted text in cell
  2. paste below table or in another note
  3. copy text from outside source
  4. get in custom formatted text area
  5. paste and match style
  6. copy all text
  7. paste back into cell

Other than the "insert table" command on the normal right-click menu, pretty much everything else should be on the rightclick menu when in a table along with the custom table command, like insert/delete row.

3 hours ago, Dinh Hai Dang said:

This one is 150% scaling, which looks a lot nicer.

We have images at 100/150/200/250/300 scaling. A decision was made to not auto-scale images to any other size (because any scaling causes blur). So when you run at 125, you'll get the images from 100. In other words, it's by design.

1 hour ago, EdH said:

Are there plans to fix the right-click menu when in a table? I agree it is important to ahve the add/remove row and other table functions, but don't agree that removing everything else makes sense.

I just had to copy some text from a web page and put in a table, but the "paste and match style" was missing. As was Paste, and everything else in the normal menu. I ahd to go below the table, paste and match style there, then copy and paste again. It would haven worse if I had had some custom format in a cell. Then I would have had to:

1. Copy custom formatted text in cell
  2. paste below table or in another note
  3. copy text from outside source
  4. get in custom formatted text area
  5. paste and match style
  6. copy all text
  7. paste back into cell

Other than the "insert table" command on the normal right-click menu, pretty much everything else should be on the rightclick menu when in a table along with the custom table command, like insert/delete row.

Checking with UI people about this one (sorry I don't have all the answers) 

• Level 5*
On 7/7/2017 at 11:38 AM, EdH said:

Agree fully. Maybe add Replace the "Insert Table..." menu entry in the normal right-click menu, and hang the table-specific commands off of that. Or have a "Table" entry there all the time, and just have "Insert..." if you're not in a table, and add the table operations if you're in a table

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, dconnet said:

We have images at 100/150/200/250/300 scaling. A decision was made to not auto-scale images to any other size (because any scaling causes blur). So when you run at 125, you'll get the images from 100. In other words, it's by design.

Given I've gone back 3 times to see the diff, you probably made an acceptable decision as I suspect most of us will never notice. But for the small percentage that can tell the diff, yeah, probably a pain point. 

35 minutes ago, EdH said:

Given I've gone back 3 times to see the diff, you probably made an acceptable decision as I suspect most of us will never notice. But for the small percentage that can tell the diff, yeah, probably a pain point. 

Personally, I argued we should stretch them. To me, blur is less objectionable then unexpected layout. I was in the minority. (and yes, I have a hidpi system so I know how many program handle scaling really badly!)

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, EdH said:

I just had to copy some text from a web page and put in a table, but the "paste and match style" was missing.

If I'm reading it right, until/if the menu gets updated, try using Ctrl-Shift-V to paste and match style, or Ctrl-V to keep the formatting when pasting the web copy into the cell.  (Or whatever the shortcuts are that appear in the drop down for Edit in your toolbar.  They can be rotated in Tools - Options - Shortcut keys).  

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, dconnet said:

and yes, I have a hidpi system so I know how many program handle scaling really badly!

I still see stuff messed up in Office 2016 on an HDPI system.

9 hours ago, EdH said:

I have to admit, I don't see the difference. I can tell one is smaller than the other due to the 125% vs 150%, but I cannot tell that they are disproportionate in any way compared to each other. Must be my lack of design sense.

You can see in the left panel in the MacOS version, they are spaced proportionately. But in Windows version (I mean 125% scaling, 150% is great), everything squeezes together, making it not easy on the eyes. It's small thing, but it makes big difference.

I'm running in Windows 6.6.2.5173 (305173) Prerelease.  I think at least some here are up to that.  I have reported a bug and EN confirms and is working on it.  (Ticket# 2135128 - Note corrupted contains content of another note)

I have not seen anyone here post about it, so I am doing so just to save someone else future keystrokes. :)

There are cases where note content is being replaced by content of other notes.  I have found 3 instances over the last couple of weeks.

Good news--if you find one, use note history to revert to a previous version of the corrupted note.

My workflow includes:

Many feeds, newsletters, and other things are directed to my EN default notebook.

In some instances, the created note content is then replaced by content from an existing note in another notebook.  So far I have no pattern on what note or notebook is "chosen" to grab the content.

I first found this looking at notes on my iPhone.  I the confirmed in Windows.  I have not explicitly verified on web, but based on EN's response to me (which have been prompt and honest admitting to the bug) I think it is on their server side, not a particular app.

Again, work around is to go to note history and revert.  So far I have found no cases for which that does not work.

On 7/7/2017 at 5:39 PM, csihilling said:

If I'm reading it right, until/if the menu gets updated, try using Ctrl-Shift-V to paste and match style, or Ctrl-V to keep the formatting when pasting the web copy into the cell.  (Or whatever the shortcuts are that appear in the drop down for Edit in your toolbar.  They can be rotated in Tools - Options - Shortcut keys).  

That's what I pointed out a few days ago and EN has (sort of) acknowledged that the beta has this problem with Ctrl-Shift-V not really working the way it used to. Hopefully it will be back to normal for the next beta release. Until then it's the old paste into Notepad first workaround.

• Level 5*

This looks like a pretty big bug.

See this video. I copied text from a text based app (Excel's Power Query advanced editor - pure ASCII - no formatting) and pasted into a note. Out of habit I always use Paste and Apply Formatting, but it does the same thing even with a regular paste.

It massively deleted text in my note. Seems random as what it removed, but it was a lot. Thankfully it was on screen and I saw it and I wasn't down at the bottom of the note.

THere is nothing confidential in this note, besides my Power Pivot secret sauce that I stole from another website. ;)

So the enex file is attached to see if you can replicate. 

There is something hinkey (technical term) with the bullet list as it shows up on the iOS versions (both the beta and the App store version) as a narrow column about 15-20 chars across - lots of wrapping. But I never used a table in this note.

Displaying “Last Updated” Date And Time In PowerPivot.enex

• Level 5*

Not the same, but similar experience weirdness.  I use a hotkey to put text into a note that contains a PDF of a statement.  If I paste in the line above the PDF the text is framed.  If I add blank line all is well.

596423f5e548d_ScreenClip1.png.764bf8042c7cd92247cc98b58c4b3856.png     ScreenClip.png.fb46120b3c788dc46677c99ac8ef1b4e.png

Also inserting the text into a note which was created using EN clipper article doesn't work as expected.

5964252b4ed7b_ScreenClip3.thumb.png.cb05de4eb9faf3fe73331ae88e792834.png

596425407709a_ScreenClip4.thumb.png.d440b367336464bc5f87f72aa14d24eb.png

Bug: Issue with basic pasting...

I copy text from a note:

vwau-fs

I can paste this into other notes and it works ok.

But in some notes it doesn't paste correctly...if I paste at the end of an existing line, it works...

Darwin office vwau-fs

But if I click after the existing line, hit enter and paste onto a new line, I only get the first line of the clipboard...
Darwin office
vwau-fs

After much fiddling with one note that appeared to be nothing more than basic text in it, after I right clicked the note and hit 'remove formatting', the paste functions work as expected.
There seems to be some basic fundamental issues with the editor especially around copy and paste. Basic, but serious. I'm loosing confidence!!

13 hours ago, Michael Goulding said:

Bug: Issue with basic pasting...

I copy text from a note:

vwau-fs

I can paste this into other notes and it works ok.

But in some notes it doesn't paste correctly...if I paste at the end of an existing line, it works...

Darwin office vwau-fs

But if I click after the existing line, hit enter and paste onto a new line, I only get the first line of the clipboard...
Darwin office
vwau-fs

After much fiddling with one note that appeared to be nothing more than basic text in it, after I right clicked the note and hit 'remove formatting', the paste functions work as expected.
There seems to be some basic fundamental issues with the editor especially around copy and paste. Basic, but serious. I'm loosing confidence!!

It sounds like something in the "some notes" is causing copy and paste pain - could you send one of this old notes (ENEXs) to CS to share with Dev so we can track down what is causing the problem? 

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

It sounds like something in the "some notes" is causing copy and paste pain - could you send one of this old notes (ENEXs) to CS to share with Dev so we can track down what is causing the problem? 

did you grab the ENEX file I attached a few posts ago on a similar issue?

• Level 5*
On 7/11/2017 at 8:34 PM, Michael Goulding said:

Perhaps you should back out of the beta track, then.

• Level 5*
On 7/10/2017 at 3:31 PM, EdH said:

This looks like a pretty big bug.

See this video. I copied text from a text based app (Excel's Power Query advanced editor - pure ASCII - no formatting) and pasted into a note. Out of habit I always use Paste and Apply Formatting, but it does the same thing even with a regular paste.

It massively deleted text in my note. Seems random as what it removed, but it was a lot. Thankfully it was on screen and I saw it and I wasn't down at the bottom of the note.

THere is nothing confidential in this note, besides my Power Pivot secret sauce that I stole from another website. ;)

So the enex file is attached to see if you can replicate. 

There is something hinkey (technical term) with the bullet list as it shows up on the iOS versions (both the beta and the App store version) as a narrow column about 15-20 chars across - lots of wrapping. But I never used a table in this note.

Displaying “Last Updated” Date And Time In PowerPivot.enex

giphy.gif

Bug: Deleting a Note / Moving a Note to Trash Button on note performs its action on the wrong note.

I haven't found the exact reproduction on this yet.  But....

• I have a note open in its own window.
  • I've been working with the main Evernote window.  Looking for other notes and things. 
  • I've probably opened closed other note windows.
  • I come back to that first note window above and click the trash can.  Nothing appears to happen.
  • What's really happening - it's deleting other notes.  That's a bad thing. 
  • If I close and reopen that original note, then the Delete / Trash button works on that note.

I discovered this as, last week, I noticed some critical notes were gone.  Sure enough, they where in the Trash.  I blamed my four-year-old at first.  But, then I started to realize that when the Trash button wasn't working, that such was the culprit.  :(  

2 hours ago, JeffreyC said:

Bug: Deleting a Note / Moving a Note to Trash Button on note performs its action on the wrong note

Yes I have also seen this. I reported a few days ago in the Beta forum (seems that place is a ghost town though). Has also been confirmed by another user.

• Ex Employees

@Michael Goulding @JeffreyC Thanks for reporting this. This is scheduled to be fixed in the next release. As @Michael Goulding mentioned, when clicking the delete icon in a note viewed in a separate window, the note selected in the main app window is deleted instead. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Let us know if there are any issues recovering the notes from the trash. 

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, Austin G said:

@Michael Goulding @JeffreyC Thanks for reporting this. This is scheduled to be fixed in the next release. As @Michael Goulding mentioned, when clicking the delete icon in a note viewed in a separate window, the note selected in the main app window is deleted instead. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Let us know if there are any issues recovering the notes from the trash. 

Ouch, this is a bad one.  I discovered by accident this week when I couldn’t find an insurance statement from June.  Had a couple of instances when I found something in trash, but thought I had just fat fingered something.  

So at this point not sure what few notes may have been impacted.  So I tried to load an ENEX backup into my Basic account to start a compare process.  Problem is the ENEX won’t load into the Basic account because of a large note.

Does the note size restriction apply to local notebooks in Basic accounts?  I really don’t want to add/delete a large chunk of notes into my prime account.  

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, csihilling said:

Ouch, this is a bad one.

Hope this will be followed up with a new beta soon. It's a while since the last one was published, and "they" keep saying that it's fixed in the next version. If it is, bring it on! I know Evernote doesn't release timelines, but major bugs need to be squashed quickly?!!

I had previously mentioned during beta 1 that Paste and match style is broken, behaving exactly the same as regular paste,  It seemed fixed later, but now the problem is back. Windows version 6.6.2.5173 (305173) Prerelease.  Sorry if this has been mentioned, I don't come here all the time.

• Level 5*
On 6/26/2017 at 10:41 PM, FactMan said:

Yes, did the restarting test - failed. Could be challenging finding the program that "stole" the shortcut. Maybe Evernote should provide a way of finding conflicts with its standard shortcuts and allow us to choose one? I know, fat chance, but I had to ask!!

This note refers to the hijacking of Ctrl-Alt-T by some other program. I finally figured out what it was. It was not a new program that I installed, but an upgrade that included addition of shortcuts. I discovered it by doing another upgrade and going through the options list... Evernote is back to "normal" and I am now a happy camper again on this matter. Doesn't change the other modifications/improvements that I would like to see, of course!

• Ex Employees
On 7/14/2017 at 9:08 AM, csihilling said:

Does the note size restriction apply to local notebooks in Basic accounts?  I really don’t want to add/delete a large chunk of notes into my prime account.  

Yes. Please PM me your basic account username or login email if you still need to import those notes. 

• Level 5*

Haven't seen this reported, forgive me if it's a duplicate:

• Add some text to a note
  • Select it, and convert it into a code block (Ctrl+Shift+L, or use the toolbar button)
  • Decide you want to break the code block up: move to the end of a line, and press enter a couple of times
  • Select one of the blank lines
  • Press Ctrl+Shift+L; the intention is to convert the selection back to normal / default format
  • Instead, the entire code block is converted back to default format

The Code Block toggle should operate on the current selection, whether enabling or disabling the code block format.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Austin G said:

Yes. Please PM me your basic account username or login email if you still need to import those notes. 

Done.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, jefito said:

Haven't seen this reported, forgive me if it's a duplicate:

• Add some text to a note
  • Select it, and convert it into a code block (Ctrl+Shift+L, or use the toolbar button)
  • Decide you want to break the code block up: move to the end of a line, and press enter a couple of times
  • Select one of the blank lines
  • Press Ctrl+Shift+L; the intention is to convert the selection back to normal / default format
  • Instead, the entire code block is converted back to default format

The Code Block toggle should operate on the current selection, whether enabling or disabling the code block format.

Does the same thing in 6.3.3. The whole block is converted back to normal. It converts a normal selection to a code block in the middle of the unselected normal text but going the other way takes everything that is in the code block and converts it to normal.

I'm running EN 6.6.2.5173 (305173) prerelease on Win10 and when I plug in a bigger screen into my laptop, EN seems to change the window size but strangely only the previous window size area works (the rest is white/blank). I need to manually push the win10 windows expand/contract buttons (those on the right top corner of every windows window, next to the close window button).

Small bug, please fix.

I made a screenshot to see the problem: it is kind a weird as the left notebook column is fine but the notes and note content areas do not extend - which makes me think it is a EN problem and not Win10.

ImageEN.png

1 hour ago, Maddhin said:

I made a screenshot to see the problem: it is kind a weird as the left notebook column is fine but the notes and note content areas do not extend - which makes me think it is a EN problem and not Win10.

I often see this. I think it is when I go from using EN on my laptop and then going to being docked and looking on a big screen. I just drag the window off the top to 'restore' it and then maximise it again and all is back to normal.

Edit, sorry just saw you're earlier post. Yes I agree and confirm the issue. It has been around for many months I believe.

On 20.7.2017 at 11:55 AM, Michael Goulding said:

I often see this. I think it is when I go from using EN on my laptop and then going to being docked and looking on a big screen. I just drag the window off the top to 'restore' it and then maximise it again and all is back to normal.

Edit, sorry just saw you're earlier post. Yes I agree and confirm the issue. It has been around for many months I believe.

yes, small issue and easy to fix by minimize/maximize window but just wanted to mention it - as it is around a long time;)

Archived