Chantal Leonard

Evernote for Windows 6.6 Beta 2 Released

Idea

Today we're releasing version 6.6 Beta 2 - you cadownload it here. This release refines the features we announced in Beta 1 around table improvements, image previews and adds support for emojis in notes along with a number of bug fixes.  As always, we're looking to the Beta community to help us uncover bugs - please let us know if you spot any issues in your existing workflows and let us know if you're able to take advantage of the new feature improvements. 

Improvement to tables
You can now merge cells, to add more layers of organization to your tables! 
You can now copy multiple cells and paste into selected cells

Improvements to image gallery
We’ve improved the UI for the gallery to make it clearer that you’re in a different mode

Emojis
Evernote for Windows now supports emojis, so you can quickly add texture, fun, and emotion to your notes! (Supported on Windows 8 & Windows 10) 

Bug fixes for issues in the Beta 1 build:
When copying an Evernote table and pasting it elsewhere in a note, styles were sometimes unexpectedly changed in the pasted table 
Paste and match style was retaining the style of the copy source
Various other bug fixes

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Windows and the Editor team! 

--------------------

Full release notes for version 6.6: 

Evernote for Windows 6.6 Release Notes

Major improvements to tables!

Some highlights:

• Quickly add rows and columns – via the plus button
  • Easily select cells – by clicking-and-dragging, or by clicking the column/row headers
  • Efficiently drag and drop rows & columns – by clicking on the row/column headers, and then dragging and dropping the row/column elsewhere
  • Better copy/paste – copy multiple cells, then place your cursor anywhere in the table to paste into multiple cells
  • New fixed width columns – so that as you increase/decrease one column’s width, it does not affect the next column’s width
  • New horizontally scrollable tables – so that you won’t need to expand your window wide to view a table that has many columns
  • Access advanced table functions – via the new menu which provides options such as
    • Resizing the table width to match the current window size
    • Distributing selected columns evenly
    • Adjusting alignment of content in cells
    • Changing cell background color
  • Additional info: The new tables do not support "table-in-table" or "merged cell" functionality. If you paste incompatible tables into a note, then the tables in the note will not have the updated table features or controls (including resizing). In a future update, we plan to support pasted-in tables that have merged cells.

New image gallery!

Double-click on an image to enter the gallery mode, which allows you to quickly browse all the images in your note!

New editor

Evernote for Windows now utilizes the new editor, which has been rewritten to allow for more rapid improvements to the editor moving forward.

Improved Share dialog

More easily share notes via our improved UI which allows sharing to another evernote user or through a public link.

Bug fixes

A number of user reported bugs are now fixed in this release:

• Notes with tables and checkboxes were sometimes causing the app to hang
  • Line breaks were sometimes hidden below the bottom margin of the note
  • When attempting to repeatedly add attachments to a note, sometimes attachments fail to be added to note
  • When copying text from an email that contains dates/times that have were auto-formatted as links, sometimes the dates/times were not pastable into Evernote
  • If a user had changed their font size, began typing text and creating line breaks, and then deleted some text, the font size would sometimes unexpectedly revert back to the default size
  • Undo often did not work on the first try when there was a table in the note

----------------------------------

Screenshots

Emoji support and improved table editing with cell merging!

image.thumb.png.9e446002c7745046ca14d4a9d11d69c5.png

4 people like this

202 replies to this idea

Settings dialog box still messed up on HDPI screens.

FontBoxHDPI.png

31 minutes ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Major improvements to tables!

Some highlights:

• Quickly add rows and columns – via the plus button
  • Easily select cells – by clicking-and-dragging, or by clicking the column/row headers
  • Efficiently drag and drop rows & columns – by clicking on the row/column headers, and then dragging and dropping the row/column elsewhere
  • Better copy/paste – copy multiple cells, then place your cursor anywhere in the table to paste into multiple cells
  • New fixed width columns – so that as you increase/decrease one column’s width, it does not affect the next column’s width
  • New horizontally scrollable tables – so that you won’t need to expand your window wide to view a table that has many columns
  • Access advanced table functions – via the new menu which provides options such as
    • Resizing the table width to match the current window size
    • Distributing selected columns evenly
    • Adjusting alignment of content in cells
    • Changing cell background color
  • Additional info: The new tables do not support "table-in-table" or "merged cell" functionality. If you paste incompatible tables into a note, then the tables in the note will not have the updated table features or controls (including resizing). In a future update, we plan to support pasted-in tables that have merged cells.

This is totally awesome!   👍

Please tell me that you will be adding these same features to EN Mac soon?

1. What does this do? When would I not want it to remember view settings. It used to be sticky. Is it no longer? If I change a preference, will I have to do it to all 30+ notebooks individually?
  2. When will we be able to tell EN to download a notebook offline and ignore the DemandSync/Purge global settings?

RememberSettings.png

11 minutes ago, EdH said:

Settings dialog box still messed up on HDPI screens.

FontBoxHDPI.png

Thanks for the reports of this one @EdH. Confirming that it's on our backlog. 

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, EdH said:

What does this do? When would I not want it to remember view settings. It used to be sticky. Is it no longer? If I change a preference, will I have to do it to all 30+ notebooks individually?

This was introduced in 6.3. It allows you to create different views for your notebooks. When you enable this option, the view config is saved for that notebook even if you change the view settings later. I.E.You're excluding the selected notebook from future view changes by telling it to keep the current view settings. 

If you do not enable this option the view changes will apply to all notebooks and will be "sticky".  

40 minutes ago, Austin G said:

Thanks for the reports of this one @EdH. Confirming that it's on our backlog. 

Thanks. Is the Falcon on the backlog too, because the search still doesn't let you know it is searching, and having over 19,000 notes in the cloud only takes a bit to search and return results to the UI, but you have no idea what is going on or that the search isn't done. Even know I know this is an issue, I still start changing my search terms because I think something hasn't been found with what I searched with, when it just wasn't done yet.

35 minutes ago, Austin G said:

This was introduced in 6.3. It allows you to create different views for your notebooks. When you enable this option, the view config is saved for that notebook even if you change the view settings later. I.E.You're excluding the selected notebook from future view changes by telling it to keep the current view settings. 

If you do not enable this option the view changes will apply to all notebooks and will be "sticky".  

Ok. I missed that. I cannot find where to enable the option. You seem to turn on a saved setting via the icon next to the search bar, then save it in the right-click menu on the folder?

2 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

This is totally awesome!   👍

Please tell me that you will be adding these same features to EN Mac soon?

Indeed. Stay tuned as these improvements will make it into our next Mac release (6.12). 

1 person likes this

Bug.  After returning from switching to a free account the message below is displayed in the Note area of the premium account.  Also the Chat icon is added to the toolbar.  You have to File - Exit to make the message and the Show/Hide drop down go away; edit the tool bar to make the Chat icon go away.

ScreenClip.png.10df628d43b77b7ea6144f4c9cacab03.png

Bug.  Had a previous table with colored text.  Changed the background color and the colored text was changed to default.

1.png.f4714d80986d28dfa587bd84dc144dae.png

ScreenClip.png.827e8af1d3f7db99704c746a603d4f82.png

On 6/1/2017 at 8:11 PM, EdH said:

Ok. I missed that. I cannot find where to enable the option. You seem to turn on a saved setting via the icon next to the search bar, then save it in the right-click menu on the folder?

When you select "remember view setting", this enabled the option. I should have probably said "feature".  After you select that, you'll also notice the "Always use for Notebook [title]" option is alos checked, and vice versa. So both options toggle the same feature. 

1 person likes this

Bug.  The column widths of the tables in many of my older phone log notes are still having column widths changed.  It goes to a 50/50 of the table width, which is narrow.  These notes were not modified using 6.6.1.  The issue with getting stuck with the column width drag icon seems to have been fixed.

1 person likes this

Bug.  Dragging the scroll bar to the top of the note list still does not work with larger note lists.

Bug.  If I have a search with two tags, it takes multiple clicks on the x next to a tag to delete from the search criteria in the search explanation area.

Image.png.306cf91bac962d62a47066cd1c4490c4.png

1 person likes this

Like in beta 1, if you use context, that annoying popup still displays even if I have unchecked it in options

1 person likes this

Cosmetics.

1. A row inserted in a table does not inherit the style of the row above/below it.
  2. The drop down arrow for cell formatting hides right justified text.
  3. The table UI elements do not disappear unless you click below the table, beside and title don't do it.

Bug.  If you Ctrl-: the date and time into a table the font is different on IOS.

1 person likes this

Bugs - Encryption.

1. Existing encrypted tables do no have any of the new table UI.
  2. You cannot double click the encrypted icon on second visit to the note.  You have to right click - show encrypted text to enter the password.
  3. You cannot encrypt a table anymore, only cells, one at a time.
1 person likes this

Bug.  Highlighting the contents of a cell and dragging it to another cell changes the cell format.  Leaving and returning to the note seems to fix it.  After the drop shown below.

ScreenClip.png.a0f4abcb70da550d9daef34c808bad07.png

1 person likes this

Can confirm all around border is back for PDfs, no missing corners.  Also, occasional artifact at bottom of table seems to be gone.

The merge cells in tables is very nice, thanks.  :)

Don't know if it is by design or not, but if you highlight text drag from a merged cell to a singular cell the original merged cells get un-merged, and the layout looks squirrelly until you leave/enter the note.  Not what I expected.  It works as I would expect if dragging from single to merged other than the squirrelly look, the text appears in the merged cell.

1.png.8199f584dcb217bc56b4c9f7904747cf.png

2.png.b4bca7d15a17d8357fcf2b6339aa4803.png

3.png.9c33827938d4cc169380a9049e9bacea.png

1 person likes this

There is still something weird going on since beta 1 with Note font and font size in Options affecting parts of web clipped notes, as well as other changes to the note layout.

Skärmbild (246).png

Skärmbild (228).png

Two screenshots of the same old clipped note. First picture is 6.5.4 and second picture from 6.6 has:

-Changed the font of the title
-Changed the alignment of the first column to the middle, and not the top
-Removed the background colors
-Changed the colors of the links
-Made the space between the numbering and the text in the body smaller

These issues were reported at the end of 6.6.1 and still exist.

Relative to the copy/paste from a web site.  This version is much better.  Firefox seems to do better as a copy from medium, at least for this page.  Highlighted the OP from this thread with Chrome and FF and pasted into a notes.  Results below.

1.png.2c9a9ec6d1c360f5a0d1d603f62f5218.png

ScreenClip.png.8b27c777e042dcad044efbbe478102cd.png

For windows version.

The white space (left and right) in displaying notes are toooooooo much! And I can not find a way to reduce them.

Roll back to 6.5 now.

ScreenClip.png

ScreenClip.png

4 people like this