Evernote for iOS 8.2.2 Released

Justin Street

Idea

Hi there,

Yesterday we released version 8.2.2 of Evernote for iOS to the App Store. You can download it here

This version contains bug fixes and performance improvements for many of the issues reported here and through our support channels.

The most notable fixes are:

• Bug fixes to tables on iOS
  • Bug fixes to offline notebook behavior

Thanks for the continued feedback!

56 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 6/11/2017 at 9:39 PM, PaperQueen said:

Same here. Am still flying 7.18.1 on both the iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6s

Same here.  I'm NOT upgrading to EN iOS 8.anything until Evernote gets their act together.  This is really unbelievable that they have issued so many 8.+ versions, yet so many bugs remain, almost all created by the first Ver 8.

Come on Evernote, you can do better than this.  If Ver 8 is really that hard to fix, then START OVER with a new version from scratch.

2 hours ago, DebiB said:

Thanks again for continuing to look out for the rest of us!! Your time and attention to this is greatly appreciated!!!

I'm glad this was helpful. I've been feeling like a lone voice in the wilderness when it comes to this issue.

As I said in a prior post, I'm very conflicted about Evernote right now. On the one hand the solution has become my most important organizational tool, and nothing else I've tried has quite measured up in terms of UI or features. OneNote is close in some respects but not nearly close enough overall.

On the other hand, I'm concerned about entrusting some of my most important information -- lists of action items, project plans, agendas for offsite meeting with key sales clients, notes about a story I'm writing, etc. -- to this solution when Evernote has struggled for weeks or perhaps even months to resolve a problem at the very core of the service. The one thing above all others that we should be able to count on Evernote to do is to protect the integrity of the information we entrust to it. 

The fact that this and other bugs have gone unresolved for so long has given me grave doubts about Evernote as an organization, and its ability to fulfill its promise to paying customers such as me. And the company's silence on this issue does nothing to allay those doubts. In fact, it feeds speculation. What's wrong? Do they lack adequate expertise on staff to test their product before release, and fix bugs subsequent to release? Are their internal processes broken? What's going on? And why should I have faith that they'll fix the issue?

I'm honestly on pins and needles about what's going to happen the next time there's a major update to the Windows client. Are we going to go through the same thing with that? I honestly don't want to think about it because, again, Evernote has become so integral to the way I work. I'm wondering if I should jump ship now before things get worse.

I realize I'm preaching to the converted, @DebiB, but I wish the company would be more communicative about this bug and more broadly about what they're doing to ensure future product updates aren't so awful. I honestly don't understand Evernote's silence on this issue. I wish businesses would learn that doing the right thing is almost always the smart thing from an economic standpoint too.

Finally I regret that I have in the past taken out my frustration on the people at Evernote on the front lines. I suspect that the source of the problem is a set of decisions made by someone much higher up in the hierarchy -- at a level where people unfortunately tend to insulate themselves from the consequences of their decisions, throwing their subordinates to the wolves instead.

3 hours ago, Bill Myers said:

I'm glad this was helpful. I've been feeling like a lone voice in the wilderness when it comes to this issue.

As I said in a prior post, I'm very conflicted about Evernote right now. On the one hand the solution has become my most important organizational tool, and nothing else I've tried has quite measured up in terms of UI or features. OneNote is close in some respects but not nearly close enough overall.

On the other hand, I'm concerned about entrusting some of my most important information -- lists of action items, project plans, agendas for offsite meeting with key sales clients, notes about a story I'm writing, etc. -- to this solution when Evernote has struggled for weeks or perhaps even months to resolve a problem at the very core of the service. The one thing above all others that we should be able to count on Evernote to do is to protect the integrity of the information we entrust to it. 

The fact that this and other bugs have gone unresolved for so long has given me grave doubts about Evernote as an organization, and its ability to fulfill its promise to paying customers such as me. And the company's silence on this issue does nothing to allay those doubts. In fact, it feeds speculation. What's wrong? Do they lack adequate expertise on staff to test their product before release, and fix bugs subsequent to release? Are their internal processes broken? What's going on? And why should I have faith that they'll fix the issue?

I'm honestly on pins and needles about what's going to happen the next time there's a major update to the Windows client. Are we going to go through the same thing with that? I honestly don't want to think about it because, again, Evernote has become so integral to the way I work. I'm wondering if I should jump ship now before things get worse.

I realize I'm preaching to the converted, @DebiB, but I wish the company would be more communicative about this bug and more broadly about what they're doing to ensure future product updates aren't so awful. I honestly don't understand Evernote's silence on this issue. I wish businesses would learn that doing the right thing is almost always the smart thing from an economic standpoint too.

Finally I regret that I have in the past taken out my frustration on the people at Evernote on the front lines. I suspect that the source of the problem is a set of decisions made by someone much higher up in the hierarchy -- at a level where people unfortunately tend to insulate themselves from the consequences of their decisions, throwing their subordinates to the wolves instead.

@Bill Myers:  All very well said! I wholeheartedly agree and have had similar frustrations. I have actually been testing OneNote for a while now (when I have free time, which isn't often enough) and have also considered becoming a OneNote Insider to be able to see what is coming and also to help provide input to future versions, etc. to fill some of the holes. They have an Evernote Importer.

Although, I really do/would LOVE Evernote...if it did everything *well* that it tries to do...and, I don't really want to change to a new app. I personally think, to remain competitive, Evernote needs to put more emphasis on the word processing functions and pay more attention to their customers' feedback/input. The OneNote team has the first one in spades and from what I've seen, they do a pretty good job engaging with their customers.

Having said all that, I know all OneNote users aren't in love with it and some threaten to leave for Evernote, so I realize you can't satisfy everyone all the time, but one other significant difference between the two is OneNote is FREE. I personally pay for two Premium accounts just so my husband can access our home content and do everything the Premium version allows, even though he rarely ever creates a note, and only edits a very few.

Off my soap box now!! =)

I've recently found a problem with two notes created with the Evernote web clipper. On my iPhone, instead of the clipped content the note body simply contains the following line of text: "?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?" The clipped content displays properly on the Windows client, my iPad, and the web client.

I contacted Evernote support and the rep told me the problem was likely bad metadata from the web site. I questioned that, because the note content displays perfectly in every client except my iPhone but the rep insisted the web site was the likely cause. I'm posting this here because despite what I was told I suspect this is yet another iOS bug someone should look into.

41 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I find it odd the display is ok on the iPad, but fails on the iPhone.  Are you running the same IOS/Evernote versions?

If you post an enex export of the note we can look at the code

Yes, I'm using the same version of Evernote on my iPhone and iPad. ENEX attached.

Note Export.enex

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Bill Myers said:

Yes, I'm using the same version of Evernote on my iPhone and iPad. ENEX attached.

Note Export.enex

Sorry, I'm not seeing the problem.  The code looks standard, and the note displays fine on my devices (iPad, iPhone)
One last idea - reboot your iPhone

35 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Sorry, I'm not seeing the problem.  The code looks standard, and the note displays fine on my devices (iPad, iPhone)
One last idea - reboot your iPhone

I'm not surprised you're not seeing a problem: the ENEX was exported from the Windows client, and the note displays just fine there. The problem is on my iPhone. Thank you for your attempt to help but I've already been through troubleshooting steps with Evernote support. 

On 6/9/2017 at 0:33 PM, DTLow said:

I'm sure the neighbors appreciate that. ;)

Personally, I'm holding off updating my work device until I'm sure the issues are resolved

Same here. Am still flying 7.18.1 on both the iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6s, but...when the new iPad Pro arrives next week, I'll be holding my breath when trying to install my tightly-held copy of that older version.

On 6/9/2017 at 3:08 PM, Bill Myers said:

As I said in a prior post, I'm very conflicted about Evernote right now. On the one hand the solution has become my most important organizational tool....

On the other hand, I'm concerned about entrusting some of my most important information -- lists of action items, project plans, agendas for offsite meeting with key sales clients, notes about a story I'm writing, etc. -- to this solution when Evernote has struggled for weeks or perhaps even months to resolve a problem at the very core of the service.

The one thing above all others that we should be able to count on Evernote to do is to protect the integrity of the information we entrust to it. 

The fact that this and other bugs have gone unresolved for so long has given me grave doubts about Evernote as an organization, and its ability to fulfill its promise to paying customers such as me.

I wish businesses would learn that doing the right thing is almost always the smart thing from an economic standpoint too.

You echoed several thoughts I've had about this since the first (catastrophic) version of (the astonishingly faulty) v8.0 rolled out. My previously unbridled enthusiasm for EN has turned to dread, terrified that I'll inadvertently tap the update button in the App Store while on the road or with clients.

God help us all if that happens.

6 hours ago, Bill Myers said:

I've recently found a problem with two notes created with the Evernote web clipper. On my iPhone, instead of the clipped content the note body simply contains the following line of text: "?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?" The clipped content displays properly on the Windows client, my iPad, and the web client.

Interesting you say that, @Bill Myers. It reminded me of one of my notes I saw on my iPhone that was blank except for a few characters, but I don't remember what the characters were now. For some reason, when I saw it, I just assumed it was the same issue. It should have registered that it might have been something different, since it didn't contain any real content. Unfortunately, I also didn't write down the note title and I just tried looking for it again and wasn't able to find it; granted, I didn't spend too much time looking. If/When I find it, I can tell whether or not it was created using the Web Clipper and also see what characters are in the note.

Thanks for posting this, Bill! I will definitely start paying more attention to the notes I open that don't have the correct content!

Also, I don't understand how the problem could be caused by the Website if it displays properly in the Windows client, on your iPad, and in the Web client. It doesn't seem logical at all for the iPhone to be the only one that has the issue.

Regarding the tables issue, will the tables that have been squished to a very narrow column be fixed or do we manually have to fix them, and the 'bug fix' is that it shouldn't happen to new or fixed tables?

You will not have to manually fix them -- unless you edited and saved the note while it was displaying the squished tables. And correct, the bug fix is that it should not happen to new or existing tables. (I'm not sure what you mean by "fixed tables")

10 hours ago, DebiB said:

Also, I don't understand how the problem could be caused by the Website if it displays properly in the Windows client, on your iPad, and in the Web client. It doesn't seem logical at all for the iPhone to be the only one that has the issue.

@DebiB, I thought the same thing: if every client except the iPhone can display the content the idea that the issue is the web site makes no sense. I told the Evernote rep as much but he simply reiterated his thought that the website was the likely culprit. He promised to look into the issue but that was two weeks ago and I haven't heard back.

I'm also noticing that there are at least two reviews of the Evernote iOS client in the Apple store from users who, like us, have found notes with content replaced by the content from other notes. I've only had two notes affected so far that I know of and that was a little while ago, but knowing that the bug hasn't been fully fixed leaves me uneasy about using the app.

Between these and other problems with the Evernote service (problems that are related to other clients and therefore not appropriate for this thread) I think I'm reaching the end of my rope with Evernote.

The worst part is, unlike those who screamed bloody murder about Evernote's price increase and removal of functionality from the free version, I have no problem paying for a service like this. There are free alternatives, but they come with a different sort of price tag. Google and similar providers mine your data to generate ad revenue, forcing you to sacrifice your privacy. Microsoft gives away OneNote with the intention of hooking you on their other paid services, and I wouldn't put it past them to eventually start finding a way to ***** over OneNote users.

But Evernote can't reasonably expect users to keep paying for such wretchedly poor quality indefinitely. It's been SIX MONTHS since the iOS client was unveiled and it still can't protect the integrity of our data! That's CRAZY!

On 6/3/2017 at 11:07 AM, csihilling said:

In the new Windows version you use a scroll bar below the table to scroll left/right.  However, the table will force fit to screen width on the phone.  And if you edit the table on the phone, when you look at the new version on the PC the columns are now all the same width.  

Best not to edit anything on the phone if you want to preserve the table layout on the PC.  Hopefully this is a bug which will get addressed.  In previous releases you could create a fixed width table, not so anymore.  :(  

Screen shots.

1.  Showing the middle of an 11 column note that is wider than the note width, variable column widths.  Windows 6.6.2 Beta.

1.png.6a01181c26011f4d3d257a41f258e9ae.png

2.  Note in landscape on phone.

2.thumb.PNG.32eebe6aefe295e165a6a057471ecb28.PNG

3.   Note as text is added on phone.

3.thumb.PNG.0061897dea68218a4ca95c20292fce8c.PNG

4.  Note as it appears back on PC.  Note is wider than note window as you can see by the scroll bar, but notice how all the columns are now the same width.

4.png.4ce7f7280cfbd825c7fa67b445467235.png

Thanks for reporting this -- when the table was first displayed on the phone, the columns should have been correctly sized relative to one another, like they were on Windows, but the table total width should have matched the note width.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

Thanks for reporting this -- when the table was first displayed on the phone, the columns should have been correctly sized relative to one another, like they were on Windows, but the table total width should have matched the note width.

1. So tables that scroll sideways on the PC won't scroll sideways on the iDevice, they will force fit to the available screen?  
  2. But they should maintain proportional column widths to the PC?  

Just to be sure I am understanding.

1. So tables that scroll sideways on the PC won't scroll sideways on the iDevice, they will force fit to the available screen?  

Correct

But they should maintain proportional column widths to the PC?

Correct

We are working to make tables scroll sideways on all devices, but there will be a period where some devices will still have the existing, non-sideways-scrolling, tables behavior.

16 hours ago, Bill Myers said:

So I'm going to keep banging this drum

Thank you, thank you, @Bill Myers!!!

I agree with the other comments in your post, as well. I would add that this requires 'all hands on deck' and everything else should be put on hold until this issue is resolved. AND a communication should go out to their users. I'm sure they don't want to communicate it to us, because the communication will then reach the tech reporters and that will result in a public black eye, as other things have for Evernote. I understand, but I have more respect for the companies who care more about their customers than that.

Thanks again for continuing to look out for the rest of us!! Your time and attention to this is greatly appreciated!!!

• Level 5*

Yeah, I've got the arrows to prove being a pioneer on this Version 8 expedition.  

I will say though that for me the response time issues have been fixed.  The design side changes which cause extra presses are an irritant that probably isn't going away.  I don't use offline notebooks anymore based upon how iCloud works with EN, so the speed of download has not been an issue for me.  The one outstanding problem for me, and it is a biggie, is that modifying a table on IOS hammers the layout on the PC.  But it seems per @Johnathan Hebert above they are zeroing in on that.  

It definitely should not be this hard nor painful, but the optimist in me is hoping 8.3 is the complete reboot.  That and EN takes a pause to learn from this experience and address their design and testing processes.

@Bill Myers 2 Days ago I thought I screwed up a note on EN ios 8.2.2. Yesterday I was browsing some notes and saw them get corrupted while looking at them. Just as you describe, with the text from completely different notes. Then I realized it was not me but EN messing up my notes. I'm glad I found your messages in this thread about it. Sad thing is I'm afraid to open up EN on my ipad now and completely lose my trust in EN.

I recently already downgraded backwards the desktop version (Mac OS) because of the editor bugs messing the layout of my notes, and now the ios app also starts to corrupt my notes. It's actually too stupid to be true. I just never saw it happening that a whole platform of apps as big and renowed as Evernote - storing the valuable notes of multi millions of people - take such a dive. Curious.

14 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Come on Evernote, you can do better than this.  If Ver 8 is really that hard to fix, then START OVER with a new version from scratch.

Wholeheartedly agree. If they can't do a total reboot, they should (at the very least) make the last iteration of v.7 easily accessible to those who don't still have a backup copy. 

But we all know that's unrealistic. Too public an admission of total failure with v.8.

4 hours ago, stafmans said:

@Bill Myers 2 Days ago I thought I screwed up a note on EN ios 8.2.2. Yesterday I was browsing some notes and saw them get corrupted while looking at them. Just as you describe, with the text from completely different notes. Then I realized it was not me but EN messing up my notes. I'm glad I found your messages in this thread about it. Sad thing is I'm afraid to open up EN on my ipad now and completely lose my trust in EN.

I recently already downgraded backwards the desktop version (Mac OS) because of the editor bugs messing the layout of my notes, and now the ios app also starts to corrupt my notes. It's actually too stupid to be true. I just never saw it happening that a whole platform of apps as big and renowed as Evernote - storing the valuable notes of multi millions of people - take such a dive. Curious.

This afternoon while in a waiting room I did a cursory inspection and found three more notes corrupted in this fashion. These are notes I haven't accessed in a while, and since Evernote is keeping tight-lipped about this issue I have no clue whether this is something that happened before they implemented the partial fixes for the problem or after. 

And once again I'm getting prompts on my iPhone to sign into my Apple account. I know this was an issue caused by the Evernote app at one time. Is the Evernote app the culprit again? I have no idea. The only way I can think of to find out is to contact support.

Only I contacted support today to report a bug with the Outlook web clipper. It was referred to an Evernote "expert" (apparently a designation given to volunteers who field support inquiries in lieu of Evernote's paid support staff) who couldn't have read my bug report very carefully, if at all. He asked if I was using "a computer" (I stated in my bug report that I was using a Windows 7 machine) and whether I was using a "web browser" (I stated explicitly that I was using the Evernote Outlook add-in and the latest version of the Evernote Windows client). This is only the latest example of negative experiences I've had with Evernote support. So I think I can be forgiven for feeling that contacting support yet again will be a waste of time. I don't have time to bend over backwards to help them fix their bugs.

So... Evernote has hiked up its prices (I'm a Premium subscriber), the quality of the product has plummeted, and support has gone from bad to worse. I can't stick around anymore. I'm done. It's time to cancel the auto-renew on my subscription and move on.

And I have to say, I'm really disappointed it came to this. I really loved Evernote when it worked. I believe in the concept. I think the feature set is better than the competition's when Evernote isn't bug-ridden. I've recommended Evernote to others. But given what I'm paying annually, I feel like I deserve better than this.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, Bill Myers said:

Only I contacted support today to report a bug with the Outlook web clipper. It was referred to an Evernote "expert" (apparently a designation given to volunteers who field support inquiries in lieu of Evernote's paid support staff)

When submitting a ticket, we are given this information on support delivered by "Everynote Experts" at Directly (outsourcing)

2017-06-02_13-50-53.jpg.a1cf59da1094edf5

This was also discussed here

On 5/31/2017 at 9:48 PM, Bill Myers said:

Does this version fix the issue with the iOS client sometimes overwriting the content of a note with the content from another note?

I have had the same issue on 3. june. with 8.2.2. I have the sync log from that day if anyone would like to look deeper at it :)

On the first picture you can see the main menu with the list of the notes and you see the text "English" and "Keep in mind". That was how it looked in the main menu of evernote on my iPhone.

Then I opened the note and to my surprise it was my shopping list inside the note !? See picture two. The heading was correct, but the note was totally different !? 

It should have been like on screenshot 3 with the text "English" and "Keep in mind".

So I went to my windows computer and looked there in the evernote application. The note was fortunately still OK :) So I changed it on my computer and synced it up to evernote. Then went to my iPhone and synced the note again and then it was correct again on the phone.

I had this happen a couple of times. The last time i deleted Evernote from the phone and installed it again. It syned all notes and all notes was OK again, also the one that I found that was mixed like above. Since then I did not have the problem. But I am a little worried.

IMG_3953.PNG

IMG_3954.PNG

IMG_3955.PNG

@ChristianJacobsen: Yeah, I also uninstalled and reinstalled the Evernote client on my iPhone and that fixed two of the three notes that were corrupted. The third I was able to restore from note history. The reinstall also seems to stopped me from getting prompts to sign into my Apple account.

I too would be willing provide a sync log if that would help Evernote resolve this issue. It's going to take me some time to vet competing solutions and migrate, and if by some miracle Evernote can get its act together in that time I'd prefer to stay put. Changing solutions will be quite a hassle.

Again, I regret my most recent rant. I don't think anything I said was incorrect but this is a user forum and the best use of it is for users to help each other. It's obvious that expressing my anger isn't going to move anyone at Evernote to respond to these issues..

@DebiB, thanks for the insights about OneNote. I'm going to try it out.

Update: shortly after uninstalling and reinstalling the Evernote iOS client I've begun getting repeated prompts to sign in to my Apple account again. I remember reading either a user post here or a review on the Apple forum that said this behavior was the result of a bug in the Evernote iOS client. Does anyone know if this has been officially confirmed and if so is there anything I can do other than uninstalling the client and leaving it off my iPhone?

Update: shortly after uninstalling and reinstalling the Evernote iOS client I've begun getting repeated prompts to sign in to my Apple account again. I remember reading either a user post here or a review on the Apple forum that said this behavior was the result of a bug in the Evernote iOS client. Does anyone know if this has been officially confirmed and if so is there anything I can do other than uninstalling the client and leaving it off my iPhone?

2 hours ago, Bill Myers said:

I had this on earlier versions, but it disappeared at some release.

I remember reading someone writing that you should remove the EN app , reboot and the install again. And I did that a couple of times on the buggyer versions. Maybe that's the solution for you problem.

Hi, not so much a suggestion but sort of a bug that I noticed when using Evernote on my ipad.

The keyboard multitouch gestures for highlighting in Evernote works opposite to how it usually works in stock and other apps.

Two finger tap will highlight as per normal. But when I'm trying to adjust the highlighted text, in Evernote when I swipe right, it moves the left end towards the right, reducing the amount of text. In other apps swiping right usually moves the right end right and increases the amount of text. Similarly, when some text has been highlighted, when i swipe left in Evernote, this moves the right cursor left, reducing the text. But usually in stock and other 3rd party apps, this should move the left cursor left, increasing the amount of text.

It's pretty strange and counter-intuitive that the stock keyboard works in the opposite manner in Evernote, would be great if this could be rectified!

On 6/18/2017 at 1:11 AM, sjchew said:

Hi, not so much a suggestion but sort of a bug that I noticed when using Evernote on my ipad.

The keyboard multitouch gestures for highlighting in Evernote works opposite to how it usually works in stock and other apps.

Two finger tap will highlight as per normal. But when I'm trying to adjust the highlighted text, in Evernote when I swipe right, it moves the left end towards the right, reducing the amount of text. In other apps swiping right usually moves the right end right and increases the amount of text. Similarly, when some text has been highlighted, when i swipe left in Evernote, this moves the right cursor left, reducing the text. But usually in stock and other 3rd party apps, this should move the left cursor left, increasing the amount of text.

It's pretty strange and counter-intuitive that the stock keyboard works in the opposite manner in Evernote, would be great if this could be rectified!

I tried the keyboard gestures for highlighting in Evernote on both my iPhone and my iPad and they worked like they were supposed to.

On 5/31/2017 at 10:09 AM, Justin Street said:
  • Bug fixes to tables on iOS
  • Bug fixes to offline notebook behavior

@Justin Street I have a few questions...

1. Regarding the tables issue, will the tables that have been squished to a very narrow column be fixed or do we manually have to fix them, and the 'bug fix' is that it shouldn't happen to new or fixed tables?
  2. What was the issue with offline notebook behavior? I created one offline notebook to enable the look up of information if I was ever without a network connection. I haven't taken time to investigate and have never tested using it, but I noticed it looked like the status bar indicated it hadn't yet completed downloading all of the notes and it has been days.
  3. i mentioned this in another response asking a user, but commented it should probably be directed at Evernote to answer... Do you have a list of known bugs posted somewhere? I wasn't aware until reading this thread that there was a known issue where the contents of one note would be replaced by the contents of another note. I just experienced that and assumed I must have done something to cause it, but not knowing how...until seeing now that other people have experienced the same issue.

Thanks!

• Level 5*

I can confirm that overall table formats are note getting hammered by IOS, thanks for that .  Still some display issues on IOS vs PC.formatting.

1. The font for a date created on the PC using Ctrl-; is not the default.
  2. Text pasted from the OP of this thread appears normal on the PC and lighter on IOS.

ScreenClip.png.4457292c87e326cd960ae1b3002397c2.png

IMG_0338.thumb.PNG.4b623d9ad687bce37737bd607479835b.PNG

21 minutes ago, Bill Myers said:

Does this version fix the issue with the iOS client sometimes overwriting the content of a note with the content from another note?

I didn't see till now any note with wrong content. I use this release from about 16 hours. Everything works fine from now. 

I saw that the notes with sketches have the same bug...continue to produce a lot of duplicates on other devices.

I can confirm that now I can start very quickly a note, about 2 seconds of lag time, but not 19-21 seconds like without 8.2.1

I will post if I will see strange behavior.

24 minutes ago, enki said:

I didn't see till now any note with wrong content. I use this release from about 16 hours. Everything works fine from now. 

I saw that the notes with sketches have the same bug...continue to produce a lot of duplicates on other devices.

I can confirm that now I can start very quickly a note, about 2 seconds of lag time, but not 19-21 seconds like without 8.2.1

I will post if I will see strange behavior.

The bug I'm referring to doesn't affect all notes. So far I've only found two notes that were affected, although I have thousands of notes I don't use every day so there could be more I don't know about.

I've been a bit gun-shy about using Evernote as a result of this because in both cases where I found corrupted note content I was working offsite with clients and the notes were mission-critical to what I was doing at the time. That's why I keep harping on this. Receiving some assurance that this problem has at long last been fully resolved would go a long way toward restoring my confidence in Evernote.

Be careful with too much confidence with Evernote when your device alternates on/offline. For this reason, at work, on field, I prefer to cut evernote internet access, take all notes I need, add text, images rec, and at the end of the day when I'm sure I have a good wifi, I sync everything. I'm working from many years like this and I never had corrupted notes. 

But if you want to fu..k about this problem, you have to use ios note. I'm testing it from 78 days and I've founded zero problems till now (but is not evernote)

5 minutes ago, enki said:

Be careful with too much confidence with Evernote when your device alternates on/offline. For this reason, at work, on field, I prefer to cut evernote internet access, take all notes I need, add text, images rec, and at the end of the day when I'm sure I have a good wifi, I sync everything. I'm working from many years like this and I never had corrupted notes. 

But if you want to fu..k about this problem, you have to use ios note. I'm testing it from 78 days and I've founded zero problems till now (but is not evernote)

I never had this problem either until version iOS v8.x. From what I've been told by support it's not a sync problem, but a bug introduced in the latest iOS client. It may not be affecting everyone but it affected me and, I'm told by Evernote support, some others. I don't know how many "some" is but to the extent that it's affecting anyone it's too many. I appreciate your input but I'm really hoping to hear something from Evernote.

• Level 5*

Any chance of adding a reminder date sort option to any searches that reference reminders?  Not as practical as it could be to do a next 7 day search and have the notes jumbled relative to date sequence.

21 hours ago, Bill Myers said:

It may not be affecting everyone but it affected me and, I'm told by Evernote support, some others. I don't know how many "some" is but to the extent that it's affecting anyone it's too many. I appreciate your input but I'm really hoping to hear something from Evernote.

@Bill Myers I'm guessing it has probably affected more people and they are like me... I opened a note yesterday that had the content of a different note within it, but I assumed I must have done something to cause it. I had no clue how, but for some reason, I didn't give any thought to it being an Evernote bug...until reading your posts right now! Maybe I would have questioned it as possibly being related to Evernote after seeing it happen with more notes. 

I'm glad I saw your post! Like you, I'm now nervous about the integrity of the content I'm putting in Evernote. In my case, I'm always working connected...not using an offline notebook.

This question probably needs to be answered by Evernote, but do you know if Evernote posts a known bug list somewhere? 

On 5/31/2017 at 11:28 AM, csihilling said:

Text pasted from the OP of this thread appears normal on the PC and lighter on IOS.

@csihilling From my perspective, looking at your screenshots, they both appear lighter than the previous text in the note...like a dark gray, instead of black. Just my two cents, tho! :)

33 minutes ago, DebiB said:

@Bill Myers I'm guessing it has probably affected more people and they are like me... I opened a note yesterday that had the content of a different note within it, but I assumed I must have done something to cause it. I had no clue how, but for some reason, I didn't give any thought to it being an Evernote bug...until reading your posts right now! Maybe I would have questioned it as possibly being related to Evernote after seeing it happen with more notes. 

I'm glad I saw your post! Like you, I'm now nervous about the integrity of the content I'm putting in Evernote. In my case, I'm always working connected...not using an offline notebook.

This question probably needs to be answered by Evernote, but do you know if Evernote posts a known bug list somewhere? 

According to the Evernote support reps I've been in touch with, the bug has definitely affected multiple people and has been an outstanding issue prior to v8.2.1. This means it is a problem that is at least several weeks old. Evernote support's answer for the time being is to restore affected notes from note history, which is available if you're a premium subscriber like me. On the other hand, this doesn't help if you're away from a desktop or laptop device and want to access a note on an iOS device in a situation where that information is mission-critical.

Like you, I'm concerned about a bug that affects the service's ability to ensure the integrity of data entrusted to it. I'm also concerned about the company's lack of transparency about the issue. For whatever reason, Evernote employees did not respond to my inquiries in the thread about iOS v8.2.1, even though a representative responded to other inquiries and concerns in that same thread. I had to go directly to support in order to learn that they had made "progress" but had not yet fully resolved the bug. Maybe if multiple people ask they'll be willing to respond here with a status update.

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, Bill Myers said:

So I'm going to keep banging this drum.

I'm sure the neighbors appreciate that. ;)

Personally, I'm holding off updating my work device until I'm sure the issues are resolved

7 minutes ago, Bill Myers said:

I had to go directly to support in order to learn that they had made "progress" but had not yet fully resolved the bug. Maybe if multiple people ask they'll be willing to respond here with a status update.

Yes, I certainly hope we receive an update from Evernote in this thread! I also mentioned it in my reply to the OP.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, DebiB said:

@csihilling From my perspective, looking at your screenshots, they both appear lighter than the previous text in the note...like a dark gray, instead of black. Just my two cents, tho! :)

Yeah, could be, sometimes hard to tell with a screen clip.  I do think it is lighter on IOS.  The date font is an issue in any case.  :(

On 5/31/2017 at 11:28 AM, csihilling said:

I can confirm that overall table formats are note getting hammered by IOS, thanks for that .  Still some display issues on IOS vs PC.formatting.

1. The font for a date created on the PC using Ctrl-; is not the default.
  2. Text pasted from the OP of this thread appears normal on the PC and lighter on IOS.

ScreenClip.png.4457292c87e326cd960ae1b3002397c2.png

IMG_0338.thumb.PNG.4b623d9ad687bce37737bd607479835b.PNG

Can you send me this ENEX?

Also, "PC" means Evernote for Windows, correct? Or does it mean the web client on a Windows PC?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

Can you send me this ENEX?

Also, "PC" means Evernote for Windows, correct? Or does it mean the web client on a Windows PC?

Sent a recreated ENEX via PM.  Doesn't look quite the same, pasted into 6.6.2?  Windows desktop client.

Great update! I just noticed in the iPad version that the tables are not 'scrollable'. That avoid cropping things in the screen. It would be great to include this capability into the iOS version for iPhones.

with the windows 6.6 beta release out, I see a lot of benefits using tables in my notes. Any plans on bringing these scrollable tables into the iPhone iOS version? 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Mike_ifgo said:

I just noticed in the iPad version that the tables are not 'scrollable'.

I'm not sure what you mean by not 'scrollable'

My notes with tables (created on a Mac) can be scrolled

I use a table for most of my notes; I like a 2 column format and background colour

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'm not sure what you mean by not 'scrollable'

My notes with tables (created on a Mac) can be scrolled

I use a table for most of my notes; I like a 2 column format and background colour

Thanks for your remark about the mac. Unfortunately I only have windows and have been waiting for changing the table layout for a long time now.

The scrollable term is a bit difficult to explain ? I included a screenshot of one of my templates. After the first table you see a horizontal scrolling bar, just about the separation bar. You also see that the table is not complete on both sides, but this is because I made the screenshot while scrolling from left to right. This way the table is not cropped into my screen which has a much better view then if all columns are cropped within the screen size. 

I hope Ike this makes sense.

IMG_0411.PNG

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Mike_ifgo said:

After the first table you see a horizontal scrolling bar,

I see.  You're looking for horizontal (left to right) scrolling, and automatic size adjustment for fixed width tables

My usual tables are proportional width and adjust to the screen

fwiw    I created a fixed width table and was able to scroll left and right

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, DTLow said:

I created a fixed width table and was able to scroll left and right

In the new Windows version you use a scroll bar below the table to scroll left/right.  However, the table will force fit to screen width on the phone.  And if you edit the table on the phone, when you look at the new version on the PC the columns are now all the same width.  

Best not to edit anything on the phone if you want to preserve the table layout on the PC.  Hopefully this is a bug which will get addressed.  In previous releases you could create a fixed width table, not so anymore.  :(  

Screen shots.

1.  Showing the middle of an 11 column note that is wider than the note width, variable column widths.  Windows 6.6.2 Beta.

1.png.6a01181c26011f4d3d257a41f258e9ae.png

2.  Note in landscape on phone.

2.thumb.PNG.32eebe6aefe295e165a6a057471ecb28.PNG

3.   Note as text is added on phone.

3.thumb.PNG.0061897dea68218a4ca95c20292fce8c.PNG

4.  Note as it appears back on PC.  Note is wider than note window as you can see by the scroll bar, but notice how all the columns are now the same width.

4.png.4ce7f7280cfbd825c7fa67b445467235.png

I emailed Evernote support and received the following reply about the status of the company's efforts to resolve the bug I mentioned in my prior posts:

We've had a few other reports of this behavior, and our development team has been urgently investigating. While we fixed part of the issue in a previous release, it appears that there are multiple root causes and an additional fix is needed. This is absolutely our top priority issue right now, as any issue that compromises the integrity of your notes is unacceptable. This one is proving to be rather complex to nail down, as we aren't able to reproduce internally, however we are committed to getting that additional fix out as soon as we possibly can.

In the meantime, I recommend using the following steps to recover the right note content:

In order to try and recover the content, I would like for us to try to use the note history feature in Evernote. This will allow you to recover a previous saved state of the note. This would be your best bet for recovering the content of your note.

I hope indeed only a "few" users have been affected by this bug. Although it's possible that like @DebiB there are others who have had note content corrupted without realizing the cause was a bug in the iOS client. So I'm going to keep banging this drum.

Also be aware that only Premium or Business subscribers have access to the note history feature the Evernote support rep refers to above.

I've gone back to using Evernote pretty much the way I used to, although I'm on pins and needles doing so. I looked at alternatives, but Evernote in my view still has the best feature set -- when it works, which hasn't been the case as much as it should be with the iOS client!

The toughest part is that the company is being responsive, albeit painfully slowly. I've noticed that features and bug fixes I and others have requested have been implemented and I appreciate it. But new version roll-outs shouldn't be this buggy, nor should it take this long to resolve bugs. Particularly not for a service many of us are paying for. I wish the company wouldn't make it so damned hard for those of us who used to enthusiastically support and recommend the service. This has been a real black eye for Evernote, and I hope the company takes a long, hard look at its development and quality control to determine how to do better. I'm not sure I can stick around through another debacle like this.

On 6/1/2017 at 1:03 PM, Bill Myers said:

On the other hand, this doesn't help if you're away from a desktop or laptop device and want to access a note on an iOS device in a situation where that information is mission-critical.

Since my last reply on this topic, I have found several more notes with this issue! I wish there was a way to identify all of the notes that are affected without having to manually look at each note in Evernote for iOS. I would like to ensure they are all fixed ASAP. Like you have already experienced, one of my concerns is I will be out and about with only my iPhone and access to the content will be critical...and that is when I will find another (or multiple) notes with the incorrect content.

On 6/1/2017 at 1:03 PM, Bill Myers said:

I'm also concerned about the company's lack of transparency about the issue.

Yes, this is very concerning! It is definitely NOT making their customers the top priority... I'm not sure what level priority you would call it to not notify their customers. Decisions should not be made based on how many people report the issue. Human nature dictates that some people will simply not report, they will just quit using the product and find another solution. Some will initially. and who knows for how long, assume they have done something to cause it. Some won't come across the issue right away. Some are being made aware of it here and not contacting Support.

I honestly wonder if it can even be stated that it isn't affecting everyone... How is that determined? Again, it can't be based on reports of the issue... 

This is very frustrating...and becoming more so as I continue to find more and more notes with the problem!! I hope we hear something official from Evernote soon!!

Archived