Justin Street

Evernote for iOS 8.2.2 Released

Idea

Hi there,

Yesterday we released version 8.2.2 of Evernote for iOS to the App Store. You can download it here

This version contains bug fixes and performance improvements for many of the issues reported here and through our support channels.

The most notable fixes are:

• Bug fixes to tables on iOS
  • Bug fixes to offline notebook behavior

Thanks for the continued feedback!

1 person likes this

56 replies to this idea

Hi Justin, which offline notes behavior it was fix? Can you be more specific please?

Thx

1 person likes this

I can confirm that overall table formats are note getting hammered by IOS, thanks for that .  Still some display issues on IOS vs PC.formatting.

1. The font for a date created on the PC using Ctrl-; is not the default.
  2. Text pasted from the OP of this thread appears normal on the PC and lighter on IOS.

ScreenClip.png.4457292c87e326cd960ae1b3002397c2.png

IMG_0338.thumb.PNG.4b623d9ad687bce37737bd607479835b.PNG

1 hour ago, Justin Street said:

Bug fixes to offline notebook behavior

Offline dowload is still at snail speed

Other feedback was posted here before this thread was started:

Does this version fix the issue with the iOS client sometimes overwriting the content of a note with the content from another note?

3 people like this

21 minutes ago, Bill Myers said:

Does this version fix the issue with the iOS client sometimes overwriting the content of a note with the content from another note?

I didn't see till now any note with wrong content. I use this release from about 16 hours. Everything works fine from now. 

I saw that the notes with sketches have the same bug...continue to produce a lot of duplicates on other devices.

I can confirm that now I can start very quickly a note, about 2 seconds of lag time, but not 19-21 seconds like without 8.2.1

I will post if I will see strange behavior.

24 minutes ago, enki said:

I didn't see till now any note with wrong content. I use this release from about 16 hours. Everything works fine from now. 

I saw that the notes with sketches have the same bug...continue to produce a lot of duplicates on other devices.

I can confirm that now I can start very quickly a note, about 2 seconds of lag time, but not 19-21 seconds like without 8.2.1

I will post if I will see strange behavior.

The bug I'm referring to doesn't affect all notes. So far I've only found two notes that were affected, although I have thousands of notes I don't use every day so there could be more I don't know about.

I've been a bit gun-shy about using Evernote as a result of this because in both cases where I found corrupted note content I was working offsite with clients and the notes were mission-critical to what I was doing at the time. That's why I keep harping on this. Receiving some assurance that this problem has at long last been fully resolved would go a long way toward restoring my confidence in Evernote.

Be careful with too much confidence with Evernote when your device alternates on/offline. For this reason, at work, on field, I prefer to cut evernote internet access, take all notes I need, add text, images rec, and at the end of the day when I'm sure I have a good wifi, I sync everything. I'm working from many years like this and I never had corrupted notes. 

But if you want to fu..k about this problem, you have to use ios note. I'm testing it from 78 days and I've founded zero problems till now (but is not evernote)

5 minutes ago, enki said:

Be careful with too much confidence with Evernote when your device alternates on/offline. For this reason, at work, on field, I prefer to cut evernote internet access, take all notes I need, add text, images rec, and at the end of the day when I'm sure I have a good wifi, I sync everything. I'm working from many years like this and I never had corrupted notes. 

But if you want to fu..k about this problem, you have to use ios note. I'm testing it from 78 days and I've founded zero problems till now (but is not evernote)

I never had this problem either until version iOS v8.x. From what I've been told by support it's not a sync problem, but a bug introduced in the latest iOS client. It may not be affecting everyone but it affected me and, I'm told by Evernote support, some others. I don't know how many "some" is but to the extent that it's affecting anyone it's too many. I appreciate your input but I'm really hoping to hear something from Evernote.

Any chance of adding a reminder date sort option to any searches that reference reminders?  Not as practical as it could be to do a next 7 day search and have the notes jumbled relative to date sequence.

1 person likes this

21 hours ago, Bill Myers said:

It may not be affecting everyone but it affected me and, I'm told by Evernote support, some others. I don't know how many "some" is but to the extent that it's affecting anyone it's too many. I appreciate your input but I'm really hoping to hear something from Evernote.

@Bill Myers I'm guessing it has probably affected more people and they are like me... I opened a note yesterday that had the content of a different note within it, but I assumed I must have done something to cause it. I had no clue how, but for some reason, I didn't give any thought to it being an Evernote bug...until reading your posts right now! Maybe I would have questioned it as possibly being related to Evernote after seeing it happen with more notes. 

I'm glad I saw your post! Like you, I'm now nervous about the integrity of the content I'm putting in Evernote. In my case, I'm always working connected...not using an offline notebook.

This question probably needs to be answered by Evernote, but do you know if Evernote posts a known bug list somewhere? 

On 5/31/2017 at 11:28 AM, csihilling said:

Text pasted from the OP of this thread appears normal on the PC and lighter on IOS.

@csihilling From my perspective, looking at your screenshots, they both appear lighter than the previous text in the note...like a dark gray, instead of black. Just my two cents, tho! :)

33 minutes ago, DebiB said:

@Bill Myers I'm guessing it has probably affected more people and they are like me... I opened a note yesterday that had the content of a different note within it, but I assumed I must have done something to cause it. I had no clue how, but for some reason, I didn't give any thought to it being an Evernote bug...until reading your posts right now! Maybe I would have questioned it as possibly being related to Evernote after seeing it happen with more notes. 

I'm glad I saw your post! Like you, I'm now nervous about the integrity of the content I'm putting in Evernote. In my case, I'm always working connected...not using an offline notebook.

This question probably needs to be answered by Evernote, but do you know if Evernote posts a known bug list somewhere? 

According to the Evernote support reps I've been in touch with, the bug has definitely affected multiple people and has been an outstanding issue prior to v8.2.1. This means it is a problem that is at least several weeks old. Evernote support's answer for the time being is to restore affected notes from note history, which is available if you're a premium subscriber like me. On the other hand, this doesn't help if you're away from a desktop or laptop device and want to access a note on an iOS device in a situation where that information is mission-critical.

Like you, I'm concerned about a bug that affects the service's ability to ensure the integrity of data entrusted to it. I'm also concerned about the company's lack of transparency about the issue. For whatever reason, Evernote employees did not respond to my inquiries in the thread about iOS v8.2.1, even though a representative responded to other inquiries and concerns in that same thread. I had to go directly to support in order to learn that they had made "progress" but had not yet fully resolved the bug. Maybe if multiple people ask they'll be willing to respond here with a status update.

On 5/31/2017 at 10:09 AM, Justin Street said:
  • Bug fixes to tables on iOS
  • Bug fixes to offline notebook behavior

@Justin Street I have a few questions...

1. Regarding the tables issue, will the tables that have been squished to a very narrow column be fixed or do we manually have to fix them, and the 'bug fix' is that it shouldn't happen to new or fixed tables?
  2. What was the issue with offline notebook behavior? I created one offline notebook to enable the look up of information if I was ever without a network connection. I haven't taken time to investigate and have never tested using it, but I noticed it looked like the status bar indicated it hadn't yet completed downloading all of the notes and it has been days.
  3. i mentioned this in another response asking a user, but commented it should probably be directed at Evernote to answer... Do you have a list of known bugs posted somewhere? I wasn't aware until reading this thread that there was a known issue where the contents of one note would be replaced by the contents of another note. I just experienced that and assumed I must have done something to cause it, but not knowing how...until seeing now that other people have experienced the same issue.

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Bill Myers said:

I had to go directly to support in order to learn that they had made "progress" but had not yet fully resolved the bug. Maybe if multiple people ask they'll be willing to respond here with a status update.

Yes, I certainly hope we receive an update from Evernote in this thread! I also mentioned it in my reply to the OP.

2 hours ago, DebiB said:

@csihilling From my perspective, looking at your screenshots, they both appear lighter than the previous text in the note...like a dark gray, instead of black. Just my two cents, tho! :)

Yeah, could be, sometimes hard to tell with a screen clip.  I do think it is lighter on IOS.  The date font is an issue in any case.  :(

1 person likes this

On 5/31/2017 at 11:28 AM, csihilling said:

I can confirm that overall table formats are note getting hammered by IOS, thanks for that .  Still some display issues on IOS vs PC.formatting.

1. The font for a date created on the PC using Ctrl-; is not the default.
  2. Text pasted from the OP of this thread appears normal on the PC and lighter on IOS.

ScreenClip.png.4457292c87e326cd960ae1b3002397c2.png

IMG_0338.thumb.PNG.4b623d9ad687bce37737bd607479835b.PNG

Can you send me this ENEX?

Also, "PC" means Evernote for Windows, correct? Or does it mean the web client on a Windows PC?

1 hour ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

Can you send me this ENEX?

Also, "PC" means Evernote for Windows, correct? Or does it mean the web client on a Windows PC?

Sent a recreated ENEX via PM.  Doesn't look quite the same, pasted into 6.6.2?  Windows desktop client.

Great update! I just noticed in the iPad version that the tables are not 'scrollable'. That avoid cropping things in the screen. It would be great to include this capability into the iOS version for iPhones.

with the windows 6.6 beta release out, I see a lot of benefits using tables in my notes. Any plans on bringing these scrollable tables into the iPhone iOS version? 

3 hours ago, Mike_ifgo said:

I just noticed in the iPad version that the tables are not 'scrollable'.

I'm not sure what you mean by not 'scrollable'

My notes with tables (created on a Mac) can be scrolled

I use a table for most of my notes; I like a 2 column format and background colour

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'm not sure what you mean by not 'scrollable'

My notes with tables (created on a Mac) can be scrolled

I use a table for most of my notes; I like a 2 column format and background colour

Thanks for your remark about the mac. Unfortunately I only have windows and have been waiting for changing the table layout for a long time now.

The scrollable term is a bit difficult to explain 😊 I included a screenshot of one of my templates. After the first table you see a horizontal scrolling bar, just about the separation bar. You also see that the table is not complete on both sides, but this is because I made the screenshot while scrolling from left to right. This way the table is not cropped into my screen which has a much better view then if all columns are cropped within the screen size. 

I hope Ike this makes sense.

IMG_0411.PNG

6 hours ago, Mike_ifgo said:

After the first table you see a horizontal scrolling bar,

I see.  You're looking for horizontal (left to right) scrolling, and automatic size adjustment for fixed width tables

My usual tables are proportional width and adjust to the screen

fwiw    I created a fixed width table and was able to scroll left and right

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

I created a fixed width table and was able to scroll left and right

In the new Windows version you use a scroll bar below the table to scroll left/right.  However, the table will force fit to screen width on the phone.  And if you edit the table on the phone, when you look at the new version on the PC the columns are now all the same width.  

Best not to edit anything on the phone if you want to preserve the table layout on the PC.  Hopefully this is a bug which will get addressed.  In previous releases you could create a fixed width table, not so anymore.  :(  

Screen shots.

1.  Showing the middle of an 11 column note that is wider than the note width, variable column widths.  Windows 6.6.2 Beta.

1.png.6a01181c26011f4d3d257a41f258e9ae.png

2.  Note in landscape on phone.

2.thumb.PNG.32eebe6aefe295e165a6a057471ecb28.PNG

3.   Note as text is added on phone.

3.thumb.PNG.0061897dea68218a4ca95c20292fce8c.PNG

4.  Note as it appears back on PC.  Note is wider than note window as you can see by the scroll bar, but notice how all the columns are now the same width.

4.png.4ce7f7280cfbd825c7fa67b445467235.png

Thanks for the detailed info csihilling.  I will.play around with it. Sure the issue will be addressed soon.