Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Those who are using either GTD, or TSW with Evernote.

How do you do it?

If a Note is made Actionable, but would require dual or multiple-Actions? Do you duplicate Notes and use them for different actions? or do you simply make use of a single Note and re-purpose / re-use them as needed?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Hi.  If there's a possibility that notes acquire multiple actions,  the most sensible method would be to tag a note appropriately.  Duplication requires some means to identify whether or not a note has a copy somewhere,  and a method of linking the copies together.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, JErnestGo said:

If a Note is made Actionable, but would require dual or multiple-Actions? Do you duplicate Notes and use them for different actions? or do you simply make use of a single Note and re-purpose / re-use them as needed?

My process is to have a note for each task
Multiple-actions mean multiple tasks; therefor multiple notes

I have various projects with a project master note (Actionable?), and tag notes592c33a81b20a_ScreenShot2017-05-29at7_43_23AM.png.8fcadf609a9f1c923bb2cf5fc93c026d.png
I use a project tag so the notes can be retrieved in a project review
The example to the left is Paint the LivingRoom

I also make use of the note-link feature

>>Those who are using either GTD, or TSW with Evernote.

My process has been influenced by the GTD/TSW methods but I've made use of the latest Evernote features (like Reminder Date)

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, JErnestGo said:

Those who are using either GTD, or TSW with Evernote.

How do you do it?

If a Note is made Actionable, but would require dual or multiple-Actions? Do you duplicate Notes and use them for different actions? or do you simply make use of a single Note and re-purpose / re-use them as needed?

 

 

An example of a multi-action note might help.  IAC, typically a note per task.  If the task has staged actions you can put the first action tag on it, then change to second action tag after the first action is complete, or put both action tags on the note and the note will then appear in two different search lists.  Kind of your own preference at that point.  But if you want two actions for the same item, definitely one note would be my reco.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, DTLow said:

My process is to have a note for each task
Multiple-actions mean multiple tasks; therefor multiple notes

I have various projects with a project master note (Actionable?), and tag notes592c33a81b20a_ScreenShot2017-05-29at7_43_23AM.png.8fcadf609a9f1c923bb2cf5fc93c026d.png
I use a project tag so the notes can be retrieved in a project review
The example to the left is Paint the LivingRoom

I also make use of the note-link feature

>>Those who are using either GTD, or TSW with Evernote.

My process has been influenced by the GTD/TSW methods but I've made use of the latest Evernote features (like Reminder Date)

 

Right. Do you mean to say that a Note as reference is replicated for each task?

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, csihilling said:

An example of a multi-action note might help.  IAC, typically a note per task.  If the task has staged actions you can put the first action tag on it, then change to second action tag after the first action is complete, or put both action tags on the note and the note will then appear in two different search lists.  Kind of your own preference at that point.  But if you want two actions for the same item, definitely one note would be my reco.

If the note is made into an Actionable Item, but would require also multiple actions. It means to say that it is best to make multiple notes to cover those multiple Actions. If so, do you recommend to replicate the original single Note?

 

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, DTLow said:

My process is to have a note for each task
Multiple-actions mean multiple tasks; therefor multiple notes

Do you mean to say that you replicate that single Note to a Number of Notes to cover for the Multiple actions?

Share this post


Link to post

 

23 hours ago, JErnestGo said:

Right. Do you mean to say that a Note as reference is replicated for each task?

 

23 hours ago, JErnestGo said:

Do you mean to say that you replicate that single Note to a Number of Notes to cover for the Multiple actions?

The example I gave was Paint The Livingroom which requires 3 tasks

Starting with the project master note: - Paint The Livingroom

Not a replication; I'd create task notes as required

  1. + Select Colour
  2. + Buy Paint
  3. + Actual Painting

I create a project tag so all notes can be retrieved as a list
I add a prefix to the note titles so the notes show in the correct order

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, JErnestGo said:

If the note is made into an Actionable Item, but would require also multiple actions. It means to say that it is best to make multiple notes to cover those multiple Actions. If so, do you recommend to replicate the original single Note?

 

Not sure what your multiple actions for an actionable item might be, but a note per action would be my default.  But definition of action may vary, some folks like more granular actions than others.  I view actionable items as discrete deliverables.  I would not decompose unless it was a large task   

Some of my tasks may take 5 minutes (make a dentist appointment), some may take 5 hours (balance all the accounts for the month).   But each makes sense to me as a discrete unit of work.  May not be how you view things.  I would suggest trying strategies and seeing what works. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...