Going on a trip - any way to avoid updating ALL my notebooks while away?

I have my "trip" notebook set to "offline" so that all the stuff I need while on my trip is on my phone and win10 laptop.

But...I don't need to sync all my notes 20,000 notes while on my trip. I don't need those emails that auto go to Evernote. Basically I want to sync just my trip folder.  Is there a way to do that?

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, lisec said:

I don't need to sync all my notes 20,000 notes while on my trip. I don't need those emails that auto go to Evernote. Basically I want to sync just my trip folder.  Is there a way to do that?

If there's no changes in your 20,000 notes; there will be no syncing activity for those notes.  I wouldn't be concerned about them

I hear there's a new Demand Sync feature in Windows.  That might cut down on sync activity

DTLow, I hear you, and thanks for the reply, but...the thing is that Evernote will not know there is no change until I hit the sync button, then it will do its thing and sync and freeze for 1 full minute and then keep freezing and syncing... (customer service and I have been going at this issue trying to resolve it with the recommendation being that I upgrade to the beta! Not going to happen before a trip).  As for sync on demand, well, that too has serious issues.  It's a good idea but I'm not convinced it is ready for prime time.

They are probably headed in that direction with Sync on Demand, but a feature we need is to be able to set some notebooks as archive that only sync like once/month or when we manually say to do so, and/or to set some notebooks as priority sync. Hopefully that is where they are headed.

• Level 5*

You really only sync notes or note headers that have changed once you complete the initial download.  

You could try turning off off line notebooks for all but the trip notebook.  Make sure you complete a sync after that.  Turn off your internet/cellular connection and make sure the note content is on the mobile.  Syncing header only on the phone for notes that have changed shouldn't take much time, unless this is the issue you are dealing with.  PC without demand sync turned on will sync all changes.

11 hours ago, csihilling said:

You really only sync notes or note headers that have changed once you complete the initial download.  

You could try turning off off line notebooks for all but the trip notebook.  Make sure you complete a sync after that.  Turn off your internet/cellular connection and make sure the note content is on the mobile.  Syncing header only on the phone for notes that have changed shouldn't take much time, unless this is the issue you are dealing with.  PC without demand sync turned on will sync all changes.

I probably have not had enough coffee yet, but I'm not sure I get what you are saying csihilling.  I only have the one notebook set to "offline". That one works fine, content is on the phone/win10 tablet. Are you saying that I should enable Sync On Demand, before I leave? That if I only ever open my "offline" notebook then theoretically I will never be 'demanding' anything so nothing should sync?

• Level 5*

Really just saying the only notes that sync are ones with changes.  So if you have a complete sync before you leave (trip notes in the offline notebook), you should only sync trip note changes and down load only the note headers for new notes on your phone.  Relative to Windows, if you turn on demand sync you should only download the headers for these emails.  Headers a euphism for note details and not note detail.  Hope that's clearer.  

Archived