charlotterad

Search option: Title field

Idea

It would be amazing if there were a search option for content in titles. Content is much too broad and way too many notes come up when I search for something that has the word in the title. It would be SO helpful to be able to narrow the search to titles alone. 

What's more, I suspect there are other folks like myself who do not have the time to tag notes and instead have a practice of creating titles with possible search words for the note. 

It is good to be able to bring up every note that mentions a word, but also necessary to just pull up the relevant ones. 

• Like 2

4 replies to this idea

If you need to search for title match several times a day, typing in 'intitle:' each time is actually quite annoying, not to mention the fact that most users will never be aware of that, and also the fact that a plural might not be included in the search results because the search engine in Evernote is quite strict right now, and you have to know the exact syntax in order to get the results you need (a problem also mentioned here:

I believe searching by title match should be an option under "Add search option", but note titles should also be listed on top of the autosuggest. Titles are more relevant than content so that would make perfect sense in the context of the autosuggest. I don't even understand why it's giving me "suggestions". Are they based on previous searches? Notes that match by title would be much more useful than generic suggestions. 

Someone is suggesting to create a keyboard shortcut as a temporary solution, how do you od that? 

3 minutes ago, charlotterad said:

It would be amazing if there were a search option for content in titles.

Use the search command 

intitle:

intitle:[literal] - will match notes with a title that contains the literal word or quoted phrase. Can be used more than once. E.g.:

• intitle:chicken
  • intitle:"tale of two"
  • -intitle:beef
  • (Matches notes that do not have the word "beef" in their title)
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, charlotterad said:

It would be amazing if there were a search option for content in titles. Content is much too broad and way too many notes come up when I search for something that has the word in the title. It would be SO helpful to be able to narrow the search to titles alone. 

As per @jbenson2        Search    intitle:xxxxxx

More information on search options at     Evernote Search Grammar

If you use Evernote on a mobile device a lot, I would also recommend creating a keyboard shortcut for "intitle:" so you don't have to type it out all the time.