Evernote for Mac 6.11.1 Beta 2 Released

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Hi folks,

Today we're announcing Evernote for Mac, version 6.11.1 Beta 2. You can download it here.

We've continued our work to address a few nagging issues related to note editing and table rendering - thank you for helping us spot and uncover some key issues in Beta 1. This is expected to be our last update before we GA so we can roll out these fixes to all users in the next few weeks.

As always we appreciate your help in verifying these changes, so please let us know if you spot any issues. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Mac Team

--------------

Evernote for Mac 6.11.1

We've fixed several issues people were having with notes:
- Some notes created in Evernote for Mac would not render after sync
- Some tables lost formatting after updating Evernote to 6.11
- Pasting a line of text would add an additional line break
- Some full width dividers from other clients were not shown as full width
- Some pasted content were missing styles

25 replies to this idea

On 5/26/2017 at 3:11 AM, mbajohr said:

Working cross platform, mainly Windows and MacOS, entering a lot of data via Sublime Text with the plugin sublime-evernote, i discovered an display issue that only shows on Evernote for MacOS.

A table, e.g.:

<table>
    <thead>
        <tr>
            <th>header 1</th>
            <th>header 2</th>
            <th>header 3</th>
        </tr>
    </thead>
    <tr>
        <td>content 1</td>
        <td>content 2</td>
        <td>content 3</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>content 1</td>
        <td>content 2</td>
        <td>content 3</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>content 1</td>
        <td>content 2</td>
        <td>content 3</td>
    </tr>
</table>

renders fine for Evernote Web and Evernote Windows, but not on Evernote Mac (and Evernote iOS, as i just discoverd)

On EN Mac every cell is on its own line, see attached image.

EN-MacOS-table.png

The real fun: exporting the as-it-seems-broken note from Evernote Mac to html and open it - all fine.

Thanks for reporting this, I am looking into it.

17 hours ago, doonyakka said:

The email that the blank note was clipped from was attached alongside the ENEX, so that will give you an indication of what should be there. It's the same problem I flagged up in beta 1. It does look like Postbox is creating blank notes from certain kinds of HTML emails, rather than it being a problem with the note editor.

I don't know who's responsible for Postbox integration, but I'd be happy to get in touch with them regarding this issue (unless you have a more direct line ;))

Thanks for the update. It sounds like a Postbox issue, but we'll continue to investigate on our end.

17 hours ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

This is fixed in internal builds, but will not ship with the 6.11.1 release. It will ship in the next Mac release, whether it is another patch release or not. Thanks for helping us find and solve this issue.

If you want a workaround for now, you can remove all spaces and newlines between a closing tag and an opening tag, and it should fix the issue... so something like :

<table><thead><th>header...</th><th>....

Hej @Johnathan Hebert, thanks for the information. Sadly your Workaround does not help - as i said - i am working most of the time with the Evernote Plugin for Sublime Text. I do have 3 possibilities to create a table:

• plain html table syntax, which is, in special with your given workaround of removing all spaces and newlines, like playing russian roulette with an automatic
  • Wiki Tables Syntax, which misses some features
  • GFM Tables Syntax, which i prefer

So, Question is: do you have an estimated date for the next Mac release?

4 hours ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

Can you clarify the difference in how these were created? 

They were copy of each other, Created the first one and used duplicate option to create the next one. 

Table structure is same just the text changes. They worked beautifully for more than 3 years but got messed up in 6.11 update. 

3 hours ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

I'm not sure if the ENEX file is blank when Postbox hands it to Evernote, or after, but I think it is possibly a Postbox bug.

I'm sure you're right that it's a Postbox bug, but I've never had any luck asking Postbox devs for help with Evernote integration. For as many years as the Postbox Evernote button has existed, they've ignored all support requests related to it, so I just assumed that it wasn't their responsibility.

3 hours ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

Hi @doonyakka The ENEX file is blank, so maybe Postbox is creating blank notes in some cases? What should be there? Here is the ENML from inside the file you submitted :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE en-note SYSTEM "http://xml.evernote.com/pub/enml2.dtd">
<en-note>
<div lang="x-unicode"/>
</en-note>

The email that the blank note was clipped from was attached alongside the ENEX, so that will give you an indication of what should be there. It's the same problem I flagged up in beta 1. It does look like Postbox is creating blank notes from certain kinds of HTML emails, rather than it being a problem with the note editor.

I don't know who's responsible for Postbox integration, but I'd be happy to get in touch with them regarding this issue (unless you have a more direct line ;))

50 minutes ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

Hi @doonyakka The ENEX file is blank, so maybe Postbox is creating blank notes in some cases? What should be there? Here is the ENML from inside the file you submitted :

<en-note>
<div lang="x-unicode"/>
</en-note>

I'm not sure if the ENEX file is blank when Postbox hands it to Evernote, or after, but I think it is possibly a Postbox bug.

On 5/28/2017 at 7:07 AM, chemie said:

I am a premium member and its frustrating to see about 7000+ of my notes with tables are messed up with your latest 6.11 update. Please see the post here

Thanks for posting this. I will see if I can figure out what is going on.

On 5/28/2017 at 5:10 AM, doonyakka said:

I'm still getting blank notes with certain kinds of HTML email, clipped from Postbox. I could submit another ENEX, but it's the same issue as before, with the same kinds of email. Let me know if you want another sample.

<en-note>
<div lang="x-unicode"/>
</en-note>
On 5/26/2017 at 3:11 AM, mbajohr said:

Working cross platform, mainly Windows and MacOS, entering a lot of data via Sublime Text with the plugin sublime-evernote, i discovered an display issue that only shows on Evernote for MacOS.

A table, e.g.:

<table>
    <thead>
        <tr>
            <th>header 1</th>
            <th>header 2</th>
            <th>header 3</th>
        </tr>
    </thead>
    <tr>
        <td>content 1</td>
        <td>content 2</td>
        <td>content 3</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>content 1</td>
        <td>content 2</td>
        <td>content 3</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>content 1</td>
        <td>content 2</td>
        <td>content 3</td>
    </tr>
</table>

renders fine for Evernote Web and Evernote Windows, but not on Evernote Mac (and Evernote iOS, as i just discoverd)

EN-MacOS-table.png

The real fun: exporting the as-it-seems-broken note from Evernote Mac to html and open it - all fine.

This is fixed in internal builds, but will not ship with the 6.11.1 release. It will ship in the next Mac release, whether it is another patch release or not. Thanks for helping us find and solve this issue.

If you want a workaround for now, you can remove all spaces and newlines between a closing tag and an opening tag, and it should fix the issue... so something like :

<table><thead><th>header...</th><th>....

On 5/28/2017 at 5:10 AM, doonyakka said:

I'm still getting blank notes with certain kinds of HTML email, clipped from Postbox. I could submit another ENEX, but it's the same issue as before, with the same kinds of email. Let me know if you want another sample.

On 5/28/2017 at 6:50 PM, JMichaelTX said:

I'd suggest that you go ahead an submit another ENEX for an example you know that causes the issue.  The more examples/test cases that Evernote has the quicker and better they can fix the issue.

On 5/29/2017 at 1:39 AM, doonyakka said:

OK, I've done that. Thanks, @JMichaelTX.

I have your ENEX file from support, and I am looking into it. Thanks.

6 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I'd suggest that you go ahead an submit another ENEX for an example you know that causes the issue.  The more examples/test cases that Evernote has the quicker and better they can fix the issue.

OK, I've done that. Thanks, @JMichaelTX.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, doonyakka said:

A table, e.g.:

<table>
    <thead>
        <tr>
            <th>header 1</th>
            <th>header 2</th>
            <th>header 3</th>
        </tr>
    </thead>
    <tr>
        <td>content 1</td>
        <td>content 2</td>
        <td>content 3</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>content 1</td>
        <td>content 2</td>
        <td>content 3</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>content 1</td>
        <td>content 2</td>
        <td>content 3</td>
    </tr>
</table>

EN-MacOS-table.png

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

The left sidebar shows shortcuts, Notes, Notebooks, Tags

That looks the same as my EN Mac 6.9.2 app.

2 hours ago, lg2006 said:

My viewing format has recently changed to look more like the mobile platform which is maddening.

I don't see any changes.  Maybe you could post a screen shot of what you are seeing, and point out the differences to us.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, lg2006 said:

My viewing format has recently changed to look more like the mobile platform which is maddening. Is there a way to bring back the view that shows shortcuts and last edited notes on the left then notebooks rather than just all the notes mixes up together?

This is my home view59272cd255fe3_ScreenShot2017-05-25at12_11_36PM.thumb.png.4465a9854e932c5890c2e793dc9e83b3.png

The left sidebar shows shortcuts, Notes, Notebooks, Tags
I use top list view which shows the note list on the top and the selected note below

My viewing format has recently changed to look more like the mobile platform which is maddening. Is there a way to bring back the view that shows shortcuts and last edited notes on the left then notebooks rather than just all the notes mixes up together?

7 hours ago, Kremik said:

Hello, 

for a longer time an alignment of shortcuts is somehow weird. Looks like my shortcuts had a good party the day before :-) Seriously it's not a matter of this release, but it's there for several past releases. Thanks for the fix.

Vratislav
ECC

Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 23.20.03.png

Hey @Kremik,

Thanks for bringing that up. We have a bug open for this and it's currently being investigated. Thanks for reporting! 

Hello, 

for a longer time an alignment of shortcuts is somehow weird. Looks like my shortcuts had a good party the day before :-) Seriously it's not a matter of this release, but it's there for several past releases. Thanks for the fix.

Vratislav
ECC

Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 23.20.03.png

• Level 5*
41 minutes ago, Chantal Leonard said:

We've continued our work to address a few nagging issues related to note editing and table rendering - thank you for helping us spot and uncover some key issues in Beta 1. This is expected to be our last update before we GA so we can roll out these fixes to all users in the next few weeks.

Thank you so much for all of your hard work in fixing the many bugs of 6.11 we reported.  I'm really hoping this is going to lead to a super-release for 6.11.1 GA.  :D

Archived