Reduce Camera file size

There doesn't seem to be an obvious way to reduce the file size  when taking pictures for notes. I am using version 7.9.9 for Android and Android v7.

Is anyone aware of how to do this?

Thank you, Chris

• Level 5

In the Evernote picture-taking screen, there's an icon in the top right. If it looks like a document with corners, the function is in automatic mode. If it looks like a landscape (mountains, sun), it's in manual mode. Get it in manual mode, and then I think (I could be very wrong!) that it will follow the settings of the camera app on your phone. So before taking a picture, you could adjust settings in that app to a lower resolution.

That's all hypothetical--I haven't actually tried it, but some experimentation might be worth a shot.

• Level 5*

I don't think going to manual mode offers any better control over the picture quality - it just means you control when to take the shot.  There is an option in Evernote > Settings > Camera to deactivate multi-shot camera,  which will allow you to use the device camera - but I don't think you will be able to take several shots and then save them to a note.  You'd have to take a shot and save it,  then add another shot (paperclip / camera icon) and save it...

ok, thanks Gaz. I tried single shot camera. Evernote couldn't cope then crashed. As it turns out the camera is set to its lowest mega pixel value (6!) which is what Evernote is using. The problem is more to do with the phone itself than Evernote. Why don't phones these days have lower resolution if and when needed?!! For items to be used only in Evernote for reference or archival value only a series of 5-10mb pics is ridiculous.

Chris

Thanks Dave. I only just saw your suggestion. For some reason manufacturers look past the practical (low resolution) and give you the mostest because, well just because industry is geared this way.

• Level 5*

Don't know whether it will help with the resolution,  but have a look at MS Office Lens - it's a way to get pics into a range of software including Evernote,  and -on my Android- it has some resolution settings which might be useful...

• Level 5
On 5/21/2017 at 5:54 AM, seebee said:

Thanks Dave. I only just saw your suggestion. For some reason manufacturers look past the practical (low resolution) and give you the mostest because, well just because industry is geared this way.

Yeah, now that everything is free and we all carry tablets in our cargo-pants pockets, why have an option for lower-res photos? :rolleyes:

Archived