Mail into evernote failing

patnpm

Idea

Ive just started getting error messages when forwarding emails into evernote.

This has happened on a Mac and also on iOS.

Forwarding into my usual evenote inbox starts off fine. The note arrives and appears to sync down into evernote. Then I get an error message 'could not sync note XXXX the content is invalid' and the note wont sync and has to be deleted. 

Anybody else seeing this? 

6 replies to this idea

it gets a little worse....

The failure to sync only happens once the Note has been edited in some way. I'm not sure how far this goes back but notes that go back a couple of days turn out to be unsinkable once had been edited.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Have you checked by signing in to Evernote.com to see whether the notes are reaching the server?  If both your Mac and iOS devices are having problems with notes once they're altered,  you could export,  delete and re-import notes on the Mac,  or copy/paste the content into a new note and delete the original to resolve the syncing issue.  If you're a subscriber you could try emailing sync-fail notes to your account direct to save the content.

With the mobile however there's no way to tech the app other than uninstalling,  restarting and reinstalling it - but if you do that with unsynced and otherwise unsaved notes you'll lose the content.

We're a -mainly- user-supported forum and I don't think there have been any similar reports here - Support may have more information.  Contact them direct via https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action if you're a paying customer or tweet them at https://twitter.com/evernotehelps if not

Yes, I'll submit to support. 

I can be a bit more specific about this now. 

I routinely use 2 exchange servers. Only one seems to be affected.

The initial download of the forwarded note works fine. It downloads to all devices and seems to be OK. 

Once the note is edited however, it adds this line to the top of the note

?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?
and it stops syncing. The note remains fine on the other devices, unless it is edited on them, when again it goes bad as above.

I shudder to think how far back this problem goes. 
  • Level 5*

Please let us know how you get on.  That rogue xml line is presumably added by the server,  but upsets Evernote when it comes to the sync operation.  If you see the text in the note,  you could at least search for the entire phrase,  or a significant chunk of it,  to see how many notes are affected.

Very prompt response from Evernote, but unfortunately it just sort of restates the problem: 

This error message indicates that the note that's referenced isn't properly syncing to the Evernote server. If you have file attachments in this note, such as PDFs or audio recordings, please reply to this email for further assistance.

Otherwise, to resolve this:

1. Copy and paste the text content out of the referenced note into a new note
2. Delete the referenced note by swiping across it from right to left, then tapping the trash button
3. Go to your 'Trash' notebook at the bottom of your notebooks list and delete the note from there so it's entirely removed from your account
4. Sync Evernote

If you need additional help, please reply to this message.

To which I replied

Thanks for the response. Often (if not always) most of the text disappears from the note so I can't copy it. 

Anyway, this isn't so much of an issue with current notes. At the end of the day I can go back to the exchange server and copy them into Evernote by a print to pdf or similar. More important to me is the question of whether I can trust forwarding email into Evernote. If this doesn't work robustly I'm going to have to stop using it for this purpose, which is one of the main reasons I use the program. I'd stress this seems to happen to every note I forward from this server

Okay, here is a sort of solution having fiddled around with it in case anyone else has the same problem

The web version of the "corrupted" note remains usable and editable.

So if you edit a note on your Mac or iOS and it becomes unusable, go to the web version of the note, edit it and then re-sync. The web version will then sink down to your Mac, you will get a sync conflict and you can delete the corrupted note.

If however you delete the corrupted note before you have revived it on the web you will lose the note everywhere.

This is a major pain.

Archived