Evernote for Windows 6.6 Beta 1 Released

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Today we're releasing version 6.6 Beta 1 - you cadownload it here. This release brings improvements to the note editing and note sharing experience. As these are pretty sizable changes and this is our first beta, we're looking to the Beta community to help us uncover bugs - please let us know if you spot any issues in your existing workflows and let us know if you're able to take advantage of the new feature improvements. 

As always, we've also fixed a number of bugs. See the list below in the release notes for some of the highlights. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Windows and the Editor team! 

--------------------

Evernote for Windows 6.6 Release Notes

Major improvements to tables!

Some highlights:

• Quickly add rows and columns – via the plus button
  • Easily select cells – by clicking-and-dragging, or by clicking the column/row headers
  • Efficiently drag and drop rows & columns – by clicking on the row/column headers, and then dragging and dropping the row/column elsewhere
  • Better copy/paste – copy multiple cells, then place your cursor anywhere in the table to paste into multiple cells
  • New fixed width columns – so that as you increase/decrease one column’s width, it does not affect the next column’s width
  • New horizontally scrollable tables – so that you won’t need to expand your window wide to view a table that has many columns
  • Access advanced table functions – via the new menu which provides options such as
    • Resizing the table width to match the current window size
    • Distributing selected columns evenly
    • Adjusting alignment of content in cells
    • Changing cell background color
  • Additional info: The new tables do not support "table-in-table" or "merged cell" functionality. If you paste incompatible tables into a note, then the tables in the note will not have the updated table features or controls (including resizing). In a future update, we plan to support pasted-in tables that have merged cells.

New image gallery!

Double-click on an image to enter the gallery mode, which allows you to quickly browse all the images in your note!

New editor

Evernote for Windows now utilizes the new editor, which has been rewritten to allow for more rapid improvements to the editor moving forward.

Improved Share dialog

More easily share notes via our improved UI which allows sharing to another evernote user or through a public link.

Bug fixes

A number of user reported bugs are now fixed in this release:

• Notes with tables and checkboxes were sometimes causing the app to hang
  • Line breaks were sometimes hidden below the bottom margin of the note
  • When attempting to repeatedly add attachments to a note, sometimes attachments fail to be added to note
  • When copying text from an email that contains dates/times that have were auto-formatted as links, sometimes the dates/times were not pastable into Evernote
  • If a user had changed their font size, began typing text and creating line breaks, and then deleted some text, the font size would sometimes unexpectedly revert back to the default size
  • Undo often did not work on the first try when there was a table in the note

----------------------------------

Screenshots

Improved table editing: quickly add rows and columns via the plus button, easily set the background color of cells.

tables.png.a18ad9b5fc4ec6d0e8c6bc6b5b09c94d.png

tables2.png.7aab7f08ae568a7a0d7aab9e83c998ac.png

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

The inter-cell paddings are not a configurable option. Can you clarify why it is worse on the phone? Is it because you prefer to see content more compressed on a phone so more fits on the screen?

I prefer the same, more compressed view on both platforms.  Phone is worse just because of less real estate for the display.  For example, I was using 4px for padding.  

BTW, since 6.6 had modified the template note, I had to recover the note from history to be sure of the 4px.  

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

Are you talking about aligning tables specifically here? Or just using the alignment buttons on the toolbar. The alignment buttons will apply to the paragraph where your keyboard cursor is, or to the active selection you have in the editor, and not to the table itself. How can we make it more intuitive?

More along the lines of when you click the formatting down arrow in the table you see cell alignment, hover and you see vertical options, no horizontal options.  I sort of expected to see both on the hover, took half a tic to realize I needed to go the Editing Toolbar.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, csihilling said:

I prefer the same, more compressed view on both platforms.  Phone is worse just because of less real estate for the display.  For example, I was using 4px for padding.  

BTW, since 6.6 had modified the template note, I had to recover the note from history to be sure of the 4px.  

Screen shots of original note in 6.5, then 6.5 and 6.6 after edits done on both versions.

begin.png.ccdbdb5ee7b8b5b123794bc241f5f31f.png     6.5.png.397dd42f09ab47bfed0ff0322ef3e9c1.png     6.6.png.6348777e681e43d6015ba0c0fe05ce13.png

• Level 5*

We definitely do not expect you to care about the technical hurdles with all the editor stuff, but will be happy to explain things to you if necessary. We are working very hard to ensure that the look and feel of notes do not change, while at the same time improving the predictability of the editing experience. These 2 goals are in natural tension, and sometimes addressing one side causes issues on the other side. Both goals are important, so we are working on both. Any information you can provide to help us achieve these goals for you would be much appreciated. Sometimes just a single sample ENEX file will help unlock a creative solution to advance both goals -- the preservation of the look and feel of your notes, and the improvement of the editing experience.

Here is a place to start.  I don't have the ENEX, deleted the note at this point, but easy enough for you guys to create with 6.6.

• Level 5*

The inter-cell paddings are not a configurable option. Can you clarify why it is worse on the phone? Is it because you prefer to see content more compressed on a phone so more fits on the screen?

Yes. I have an iPhone SE, and every bit of white space is space where I cannot see data, which means more scrolling.

• Level 5*

Are you talking about the 8.2.2 beta? If so, please provide me or support some sample ENEX files so we can fix this issue. You should see further improvements in the next beta of 8.2.2 on iOS

8.2.1, still effects format in Windows, goes from fixed width to scrunched.

• Level 5*

Is it common for you to put a table in a bullet list?

I tried doing this just last week. I was documenting an Excel process relating to custom number formatting, and when I wanted to list out the special characters for this, I also wanted to explain what it did, and add comments where necessary. So it was a 3 column 15 row table for me. I had to close down my list (numbered, not bullet) to do the table, then start the list over again after the table data.

Actually happened twice in the note, as one table was for the special characters, the other were the characters that represent numbers and what they mean, so 2 columns on that one and half a dozen rows or so.

• Level 5*

I'm not sure what you mean here -- what is the desired behavior? And what exactly is it doing?

Type the word "aren't" in a note.

The "aren" will be underlined in red as a misspelled word because the spell checker isn't including the 't characters.

2017-05-15_10-15-01.png

• Level 5*

Thank you for this example, I am looking into it -- did you have more examples?

Just went to Wikipedia, innocuous site.  This is what I got.  FYI, the 6.5 version when viewed on 6.6 has the table UI appear when clicked upon.  Also, the 6.6 version when viewed in 6.5 it looks like the 6.5 version.

The web page.

web.png.7e358d8a01a44d145a95a644cdea713c.png

Highlight/copy/paste using 6.5

6.5.png.e373653d7105151f811cb9b19a6f7452.png

Highlight/copy/paste using 6.6

ScreenClip.png.6f3c815a25f3083d0dec64c25ba5ad63.png

@JohnLongney I understand you are having problems printing the background colors on table cells -- we are working on this issue.

@Johnathan Hebert 

I am not the only one having this printing problem. In fact it is not my problem, you (Evernote), presented the ability of colouring of table cells as an improvement. Neither my printer nor the OS have a problem handling colour printing, and in fact I have never experienced to see coloured areas in any document to show such behaviour, which incidentally not only made the paint vanish, but thrashed the text as well.

If this 'issue' as you call it, was simply a case of correcting a few lines in the code, you'd be able to issue a new Beta within a day (something I do not expect, though). 

Gone back to stable build, works as before.

• Ex Employees
2 hours ago, EdH said:

Type the word "aren't" in a note.

The "aren" will be underlined in red as a misspelled word because the spell checker isn't including the 't characters.

2017-05-15_10-15-01.png

Thanks for the additional info. We're aware of this issue, and working on a fix. I'll update here  as soon as I have more info. Thanks for your patience. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, JohnLongney said:

@Johnathan Hebert 

I am not the only one having this printing problem. In fact it is not my problem, you (Evernote), presented the ability of colouring of table cells as an improvement. Neither my printer nor the OS have a problem handling colour printing, and in fact I have never experienced to see coloured areas in any document to show such behaviour, which incidentally not only made the paint vanish, but thrashed the text as well.

If this 'issue' as you call it, was simply a case of correcting a few lines in the code, you'd be able to issue a new Beta within a day (something I do not expect, though). 

Gone back to stable build, works as before.

I think you would find that everyone would be more receptive to what you're saying, and in general life would be much more pleasant, if you maybe stepped a bit back from the tone of your posts. You are attacking everyone who is trying to help you and being pedantic about teeny details. That leads to wasted conversations (in this thread you've derailed conversation multiple times due to tone) and in general more stress. There is no reason to be so mean, honestly. It's not like you're going to get solutions faster that way. No one is doing any of this to make your life more miserable. Bugs happen. How horribly they ruin your life is up to you, as you decide how to react to it. But your tone is certainly not helping a single person in this thread. There's expressing displeasure and then there's just being mean. The difference is everything.

Anyway... I also would love to see general printing improvements in Evernote. I consistently have a hard time getting 100% of my record keeping and documentation in Evernote because I MUST print things, and FREQUENTLY. I am very excited about all of these changes to the editor, and they make Evernote more pleasant to use, but without improvements to printing I'm personally still stuck in limbo. I would love to stop using Google Docs for notes with tables all the time, but I have to be able to print them. I just want to chime in and say that at least for me and my coworkers, getting that internal browser thingy sorted is really a priority.

Also this beta killed my app icon. Anyone know a way to get it back? Reinstall? Not the end of the world, of course, but it stops me for a second every time I try to open Evernote.

So far, I haven't noticed any issues with previously formatted notes, but yes, copy/pasting is a bit funny, as others have said. Another example, NY Times:

ScreenClip.png

2 hours ago, csihilling said:

Just went to Wikipedia, innocuous site.  This is what I got.  FYI, the 6.5 version when viewed on 6.6 has the table UI appear when clicked upon.  Also, the 6.6 version when viewed in 6.5 it looks like the 6.5 version.

The web page.

web.png.7e358d8a01a44d145a95a644cdea713c.png

Highlight/copy/paste using 6.5

6.5.png.e373653d7105151f811cb9b19a6f7452.png

Highlight/copy/paste using 6.6

ScreenClip.png.6f3c815a25f3083d0dec64c25ba5ad63.png

Thanks for the example -- this is now fixed and will be in the 6.6 Beta 2

5 hours ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

Can you provide some more details and example steps of how to reproduce the problem. I'm sorry, but I cannot understand exactly what is being described here.

Hi, yes:

I write something like "this is a link" and insert a URL. Then i want to Edit this URL, to change it, so i paste another URL, the "this is a link" text is replaced with all the URL long text.

• Level 5*
45 minutes ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

Thanks for the example -- this is now fixed and will be in the 6.6 Beta 2

Great.  I suppose hold off on further examples until Beta 2 is out.

• Level 5*
On 5/12/2017 at 7:38 PM, gazumped said:

Two things (so far)

• create a bullet list - try to add a table in the list.  No response to toolbar icon, but Format > Insert Table works
  • create a table in Excel - paste into Evernote.  All cell structure lost - just long list of cell entries posted as text. Option: paste a screen shot plus the file link,   but obviously all inline functionality is lost.  It's just a picture.

Additionally.  Some time back I created a table using Word.  Just about all of my tables/templates are X by Y in size, but I wanted a table where one of the rows had a different number of columns.  This worked fine with 6.5.  You could create the table in Word, copy the table from Word and paste into a note or save the table to an HTML document and then drag that into EN.

Not so with 6.6

1. Can't copy from Word, no table format at all.  
  2. Can't save to HTML and then drag into EN.
  3. Weird, can edit the HTML with something other than Word and then drag into EN.
  4. From 3,t the resultant table in 6.6 has none of the new UI, it does have the old right click table menu, but none of the options work relative to adding/deleting rows or columns
  5. The resultant table in 6.5 does have the right click menu and the options do work.

Main point being, folks used Word to create nicely formatted tables/templates for use in EN.  Will 6.6 reformat them?

EDIT.  Per point 1 above the table that won't copy is one where columns have been combined or split.  You get a table view but no table editing.  Regular X x Y tables paste from Word just fine..

I found a bug that I'm surprised no one appears to have pointed out yet..

When I have focus on a tag and click to create a new note, I type the title of the note and then close the note, I will end up with 2 notes. (one with my title and another empty note).

This does not happen when you have focus on a Notebook instead of a Tag..

BTW. I have option "Create New Note in a new Window" ticked on. Otherwise,  pretty happy with the changes in this BETA...

9 hours ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

Thanks for mentioning this -- can you post a screenshot or a sample ENEX file so we can take a look at the problem?

ok... so here is the Screenshot from Evernote Web:

2017-05-16_10-51-58Good.jpg.944b0f2fce2c6d33fbc7e86a894ab709.jpg

and the same note in En Windows Beta...

2017-05-16_10-52-49Bad.jpg.660f53a34a741f0281e71dc326fd577b.jpg

• Level 5*

A couple of bugs that still exist from previous releases.

1. Still cannot drag the scroll bar to the top of the note list.
  2. Mostly when trying to x out a tag in the search explanation it takes multiple presses.
  • Level 5*

Relative to tables:

1. When a row is inserted in a table, the column cells don't inherit the format of the columns.  May be more enhancement than issue I suppose.
  2. It a cell is right justified, part of the content is covered by the down arrow.
  3. I created a template note with two columns the second being blank.  After creating a note (dragging the ENEX from the desktop) I can only click on one of the blank cells.  I can get to the other using the arrow keys.  Putting a space in one of the cells fixed it.
  4. If I use Ctrl-; to add date time to a note on the PC, the font on the PC for that cell is different than the default on IOS.   Looks fine on PC, different font on iPhone.

EDIT:   Clarified point 4. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Manya70 said:

I found a bug that I'm surprised no one appears to have pointed out yet..

When I have focus on a tag and click to create a new note, I type the title of the note and then close the note, I will end up with 2 notes. (one with my title and another empty note).

This does not happen when you have focus on a Notebook instead of a Tag..

BTW. I have option "Create New Note in a new Window" ticked on. Otherwise,  pretty happy with the changes in this BETA...

Similarly, if you create a new note in its own window and then just x out since you didn't want it, there is an untitled note without a notebook assignment in the note list.  It goes away if you change context, but otherwise stays there.

ScreenClip.png.b2cb6e4a35cf37aea9f8d5b39ed10d17.png

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

Is it common for you to put a table in a bullet list?

Thanks for reporting the excel issue -- are you pasting the excel table inside an Evernote table? If so, are you expecting it to paste cell-by-cell?

Hi - It's not 'common' but in this case I wanted to show several options in one line of a bulleted list,  so I used a table layout - which didn't work;  then I pasted a bigger table - and you might be right;  I probably pasted into the same listI didn't paste into a table,  but if I did I'd want the pasted cell contents to be inserted into the note table,  rather than produce a table-in-table.  (Although thinking about it an overwrite -vs- insert option would be good...)

Just to make my tenuous grip on reality seem more questionable than ever I just checked again and tables pasted from Excel work in or out of lists...  that's after a reboot (device) and a sleep (me). 

591ad7b458db2_ScreenClip4.png.4463b09ed66db5751c35cca49726b833.png

Sorry..  :blush:

Going back to reading through this thread now...    ;)

EDIT: - and when I got back to this post I realised I didn't answer your last point properly:  edited above to correct that... 

@Here - thanks for helping us spot issues with the table, image preview and share flows. We're in the process of triaging all the reported issues and we'll be back with a Beta 2 addressing some of your top concerns! As always, all feedback always welcome though if you have some more time to pound on image preview and share we'd welcome more feedback on those at the moment since we haven't seen as many posts on those. 

@csihilling re your last couple of posts: 1) ENML shutdown not related to this release, 2) will PM you for more details on the non-table related bugs 

@Manya70 (and others!) thanks for passing along examples - always super helpful in helping us understand and root cause issues. 

• Level 5*
41 minutes ago, Chantal Leonard said:

if you have some more time to pound on image preview and share

Only thing I noticed about images so far - we've defaulted to the slideshow mode display on double-click.  I usually edit images after I scan in items from the mobile,  and reasonably often if I copy an image from elsewhere,  and my previous experience was that double-click opened the image in my default image editor.  I now get a new note window in slideshow mode from which I've already managed to exit Evernote completely,  because the X to close slideshow is only a little way from the X to close the window.

Right click and Open still works fine to open the image in my edtor.

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

all feedback always welcome though if you have some more time to pound on image preview and share we'd welcome more feedback

Just wondering if there's a way the image preview could open in its own window?  You have to open the note in its own window and then double click if you want to be able to modify text in the note while viewing the images.  I think anyway.  

Probably an enhancement, but you cannot zoom in/out when in image preview mode as you can with other viewers;

Thanks.

• Level 5*
On 5/15/2017 at 11:39 PM, csihilling said:

Just noticed ENML shut down;  Related to this release?

ScreenClip.png.c786ab45787dd3d873ef5af2f5ef3a66.png

The ENML editor was a 3rd-party site, and I used to find it to be handy on occasion. I seem to recall that it wasn't working some time ago; frankly, I was surprised that it stayed up as long as it did. As far as I can tell, the author didn't get any revenue from it. It is too bad, I agree. I'd have been surprised to find that its shutdown had anything to do with this release, which doesn't change what ENML is, just how it's edited/displayed in the Windows client.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jefito said:

I seem to recall that it wasn't working some time ago;

It was working up until just after the release of the Beta, I believe.  It was quite handy for sure, I will miss it  Agreed the ENML didn't change per se, but how it is now used did a bit.  No doubt unrelated.

Coincidence breeds conspiracy!  ;)

• Level 5*

Bug report.  It appears that there are no table controls for an encrypted table.  The context menu appears but neither rows nor columns can be added or deleted.  And after trying to add a row unsuccessfully I can no longer open the encryption.  Double clicking does nothing.  Note history is a good thing.

EDIT:  I can open the encryption by right clicking on the icon and selecting Show encrypted text.  Didn't know that existed until now.  Still replacing from note history since I prefer to double click.

The table thing is "nice". But please, please, please - after 40 years of editors integrate some title formats/headline formats like H1, H2, H3. And a TOC for the note content. It would be soooooooo great if you could insert a link like "#part3" or "jump the the headline 3" or "jump to note evernote://xyz_#part3".

(You will lose the race with OneNote if you place your bet on colorful gimmicks - Microsoft will here always be better. But look at Markdown, Ulysses, Byline - this software focus pure text and has a big fan community.)

2 minutes ago, HerbyDE said:

The table thing is "nice". But please, please, please - after 40 years of editors integrate some title formats/headline formats like H1, H2, H3. And a TOC for the note content. It would be soooooooo great if you could insert a link like "#part3" or "jump the the headline 3" or "jump to note evernote://xyz_#part3".

(You will lose the race with OneNote if you place your bet on colorful gimmicks - Microsoft will here always be better. But look at Markdown, Ulysses, Byline - this software focus pure text and has a big fan community.)

Thanks for the suggestion. We are indeed looking into this. The recent editor changes, the restructuring of the underlying ENML, etc, are being done to enable more advanced and delightful things like the features you mentioned.

• Level 5*
On 5/17/2017 at 10:38 AM, csihilling said:

EDIT:  I can open the encryption by right clicking on the icon and selecting Show encrypted text.  Didn't know that existed until now.  Still replacing from note history since I prefer to double click.

Bug report.

Problem is, the double click worked the first time on the restored from history note, but after that didn't.  

But I just stumbled onto something repeatable.  If I can't open encrypted text (get the password dialog) on one note, if I go to another I can open encrypted text with a double click.  Then If I go back to the first note I can then open with a double click.  It's like once you double click open encryption on a note you can't double click open again until you visit a different note that has encryption, just visit, you don't have to open the encryption in the other note.

Also, I can't seem to encrypt an entire table with the new tables.  Just a cell at a time,  Highlighting multiple cells just enables formatting now, 

• Evernote Expert
On 5/15/2017 at 8:22 PM, Johnathan Hebert said:

Thanks for reporting this. Can you clarify the difference between the link in #1 and the link in #2? You copied the red one and pasted it and it became green?

Link#1 was made before this beta release was applied. There you can see that i have copied the link, and i was able to change the colour of the link to red. 

Link #2 was made after installing the latest beta. Now, you can see that the colour continues to remain green even if i select and change the colour. It is a bug that has come in in this beta release. 

• Level 5*

Bug report?  Not sure how I did it, but I was futzing around with the new table features and I managed to merge two cells in a table.  I believe it happened after using the F4 repeat command option.  Is this really a feature or an oops?  Attached is the ENEX of the note.

Header.enex

EDIT:  Weird, I should have taken a screen shot.  I left the note and when I returned to it the format was fine, all columns showing.  I imported the ENEX and it imported fine as well.  Truly though, the two cells beneath the right most header were combined at one point.  Oh well.....

• Level 5*

When using the new tables, if I select an entire row and change the font size, it only changes the boxes that currently have text. Any text typed in a cell that was empty for the change doesn't have the new size applied; rather, it's the old size.

1 hour ago, chirmer said:

When using the new tables, if I select an entire row and change the font size, it only changes the boxes that currently have text. Any text typed in a cell that was empty for the change doesn't have the new size applied; rather, it's the old size.

Thanks, we are aware of this one. It's something that may have to be come in the next release because of the nature of the problem.

• Level 5*
On 5/15/2017 at 10:25 AM, Johnathan Hebert said:

Thanks for reporting this, and sorry to hear this happening. We are trying to make sure all externally pasted content retains its formatting, so any details you could give about the websites you are pasting would be helpful. Also, if you could provide the ENEX files of the poorly formatted notes that would also be helpful. Is this happening to you for all pasted content, or just certain pasted websites?

Sorry, I have been crazy busy this week and have only just seen this. I reverted to an earlier version that did not have the problem, and I did not "save" the offending notes. It seemed to be all pasted contents. I promise to do better with the next version, and be less impatient to have it perfect, so that I can at least send the corrupted files and the sites they came from. It seemed to be at least a couple of sites that I use a lot, and I vaguely recall having a similar problem some years ago when there was an editor format change... I didn't Evernote it, however! 

On 17.5.2017 at 8:55 PM, Johnathan Hebert said:

Thanks for the suggestion. We are indeed looking into this. The recent editor changes, the restructuring of the underlying ENML, etc, are being done to enable more advanced and delightful things like the features you mentioned.

Great!!!

• Level 5

Just noticed that some pages cannot be copy/pasted into a new note. Steps to repro:

1. Create a new note

2. Click it if it did not get the focus (intermittent)

3. In your browser go to  http://www.oakleysound.com/flanger.htm and select it all

4. try to paste it into the new note created at step 1

Expected: page content pasted into the note

Observed: nothing is pasted, not is empty

Not browser specific.

• Level 5*

Can we get a search progress indicator for those of us using On Demand sync? When I search now, I instantly get results for notes that are local, but it can take 10-15 seconds to get online only notes in my search results, but you don't know it is still searching.

Even though I know this is the case, I still find myself getting frustrated and changing my search terms looking for something until I remember that I need to wait longer now for the search.

I haven't tested this either, but I supposed it should warn you the search results are incomplete if you are offline.

Circling dots, or a line progress indicator, or blinking dots, or better yet, this GIF:

falcon.gif

16 hours ago, kvitekp said:

Just noticed that some pages cannot be copy/pasted into a new note. Steps to repro:

1. Create a new note

3. In your browser go to  http://www.oakleysound.com/flanger.htm and select it all

Not browser specific.

Just noticed that I'm having this problem as well. I cannot paste my spreadsheet clips into a note. I use this all the time to keep up with current data.
Looks like I'll have to revert back until it's fixed...

3 hours ago, Graham Gott said:

Just noticed that I'm having this problem as well. I cannot paste my spreadsheet clips into a note. I use this all the time to keep up with current data.

The beta certainly looks great but I don't have the problem of "reverting" to a previous version because I haven't been able to use anything since 6.3.3 anyway. The work that's been done to improve the tables is fantastic. There's still lots of things to fix but that's what beta is for. Let real people run it through the wringer. From experience, developers make lousy testers of their own product. They know how it works, and don't do the stupid stuff that us users would do, so the software doesn't really get a workout.

If the new stuff fixes my problems with fonts and startup, I'll gladly hop on-board and it's looking pretty good already.

21 hours ago, kvitekp said:

1. Create a new note

Not browser specific.

Thanks @kvitekp ;) Fixed internally now, and will be in the Beta 2

4 hours ago, Graham Gott said:

I believe the underlying cause of this issue has been fixed internally, and will be available in the Beta 2

Basically, just highlighting a selection of cells in Excel. Copying them (Ctrl-c) and pasting in a note (Ctrl-V).  Nothing happens. Not much more I can say really...

Have reverted to current main version 6.5.4 and all is well again...

I used the Beta for the last week.  It ran "ok" however, some of the print functions were problematic.  The underline looked like a cross out in text and the tables, while interesting, don't print as they are built.

Overall, I reverted back to the production version of the software.

I understand this is a beta.

My suggestion, focus on using H1, H2, etc coding for headers in the text. 

Jerry

• Level 5*

A couple of cosmetic items (bugs?)

• Not sure this is the case, but didn't the PDF display include a line around the entire PDF, including the corner?

ScreenClip.png.c666168af76095d55598775413ba2f7b.png

• There is an artifact that appears at the bottom of a table, sometimes....  Click in and out of the table and it disappears.

ScreenClip.png.7c375dc7ed9d743304a04299ddae98cc.png     ScreenClip.png.d585cefe4c7813ebd166aea99bbee330.png

1 minute ago, csihilling said:

A couple of cosmetic items (bugs?)

• Not sure this is the case, but didn't the PDF display include a line around the entire PDF, including the corner?

ScreenClip.png.c666168af76095d55598775413ba2f7b.png

• There is an artifact that appears at the bottom of a table, sometimes....  Click in and out of the table and it disappears.

ScreenClip.png.7c375dc7ed9d743304a04299ddae98cc.png     ScreenClip.png.d585cefe4c7813ebd166aea99bbee330.png

These have both been fixed for Beta 2

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

These have both been fixed for Beta 2

I am seeing orange artifacts in notes that have no tables. I didn't screenshot it in troubleshooting. Closing and reopening the note fixes it. Is that fixed too? It looks exactly like the gray one in csihilling's note, but it is a light orange color randomly throughout the text. This particular note was a numbered list with a few indentions.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, EdH said:

I am seeing orange artifacts in notes that have no tables. I didn't screenshot it in troubleshooting. Closing and reopening the note fixes it. Is that fixed too? It looks exactly like the gray one in csihilling's note, but it is a light orange color randomly throughout the text. This particular note was a numbered list with a few indentions.

I saw this once, it almost looked like highlighting remnants from a previous search.  Same thing re closing/reopening.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned: Paste and match style is broken in the new beta, it behaves exactly the same as regular paste, so I had to return to the previous version, I rely on Paste and match style too much to do without.

On 5/13/2017 at 6:04 PM, JohnLongney said:

dear fanboys,

to put my sentiments even more plainly, a product version where the development team has checked just about nothing is  unfit for Beta testing. 

Such work must make any competitor very, very happy, grinning with delight (or disdain).

There's a whole philosophy to back it:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Release_early,_release_often

Cut them some slack ))

7 hours ago, Don Dz said:

Sorry if this has already been mentioned: Paste and match style is broken in the new beta, it behaves exactly the same as regular paste, so I had to return to the previous version, I rely on Paste and match style too much to do without.

Thanks for mentioning. We do know about this and it has been fixed and will be in the Beta 2 release.

• Level 5*

Minor winge,  but I just did this for the fourth time in a row...

Windows users now have to get used to the fact that double-clicking an image opens it,  and every other image in that note in a slideshow window.  It used to be the case that double-clicking would open the image in the editor of my choice,  but that's now right-click and open.  The image completely takes over the note list and content display.  Not unhappy with that,  though I'm still getting used to it. 

The issue is that in slideshow, the 'x' to close the slideshow window an the 'x' to close Evernote are rather close together,  and I keep on closing Evernote when all I wanted to do was lose the window....

How about an 'are you sure?' on the app close option and a 'cancel' button?

(In fact in writing this I just realised that a click anywhere in the window will close the image and get back to the notes,  so what the bleep is the green 'x' for?)

Clipboard-1.jpg.639fb982d72e58ed595a73d83f323811.jpg

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, gazumped said:

How about an 'are you sure?' on the app close option and a 'cancel' button?

Or how about opening the image gallery in its own window where Ctrl + and - work, or some form of zoom?  I too have prematurely exited EN using this feature.  :(

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Or how about opening the image gallery in its own window where Ctrl + and - work, or some form of zoom?  I too have prematurely exited EN using this feature.  :(

And while we're at it, let's add functionality to the image gallery to let users select the default image for note views like Snippet view. That "largest smallest" thingie is so yesterday.... :) 

• Level 5

Image Gallery is a cool feature, however it breaks my workflow because i need certain image processing software to handle images in notes.

Are there plans to make Image Gallery optional so that users, who prefer standard Windows double click behavior (which is "open the default application registered for the clicked file extension", can get it back?

2 minutes ago, kvitekp said:

Image Gallery is a cool feature, however it breaks my workflow because i need certain image processing software to handle images in notes.

Are there plans to make Image Gallery optional so that users, who prefer standard Windows double click behavior (which is "open the default application registered for the clicked file extension", can get it back?

You're making me laugh over here...

In previous versions of Evernote when clicking and dragging the picture adjustment indicator on the selected picture, pictures next to selected picture moved together with the image being adjusted. It made it easier to position all of them at the same height. Now, when I make the adjustment, the images move independently, and I have to rely on my eyes to make sure they are at the same height. I do not know if it is a bug or a new way of doing things, but it was a lot easier before. Reference notebook stack "Sci-Fi and Fantasy Audiobooks," notebook in a stack: Series.

5925d9f87cfd8_pictureadjustmentinevernote.thumb.png.88b3b215c79702d1b4f6625aefc6e716.png

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, jefito said:

And while we're at it, let's add functionality to the image gallery to let users select the default image for note views like Snippet view

Yes!

1 hour ago, kvitekp said:

No plans at the moment, but you can right click and open in the default application. I'll ask around internally just to be sure.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

No plans at the moment, but you can right click and open in the default application. I'll ask around internally just to be sure.

How about "right-click and open in default application and never ask me this again."

• Level 5*
40 minutes ago, jefito said:

I think we're in in-joke territory at the moment...

Yeah, I know. It is always humorous to change expected behaviors on users, because, you know, double-clicking on a thing like an Excel file, image, sound file, text file, or whatever, you expect it to open in the Default Application, but it is hilarious to pick some of those things and change them to you force the user to go through extra steps.

joker.gif

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, EdH said:

Yeah, I know. It is always humorous to change expected behaviors on users

Again, betas aren't for everyone. They can provide a great way to elicit feedback on new ideas and features, and the process seems to be working here  (they're getting good feedback).

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, jefito said:

Again, betas aren't for everyone. They can provide a great way to elicit feedback on new ideas and features, and the process seems to be working here  (they're getting good feedback).

I've no problems with betas and the bugs they entail. This isn't a bug. This is a design issue that will go forward into GA because Evernote is once again telling me it knows how I work better than I know. It is every few months. "Hey, let's remove list view from the iPad. Hey, let's release Evernote 8.0 for iOS way the heck before it is ready because the new UI is really pretty. Hey, let's add tabs to Mac because no one was asking for it, but let's ignore the issue where lots of people want to merge notes in the order selected." Etc.

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

I think you should reconsider making this non-optional. Since Evernote still has questionable pen and touch support, the only good way to get around this is to open pictures in a separate Windows Ink picture software. And right clicking on a touch screen by press-and-hold every time sure is cumbersome..

The only better alternative would of course be to incorporate support for Windows Ink inside Evernote..

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, EdH said:

you know, double-clicking on a thing like an Excel file, image, sound file, text file, or whatever, you expect it to open in the Default Application, but it is hilarious to pick some of those things and change them to you force the user to go through extra steps.

Maybe rotate the options:  double click to open in the default jpg png program of choice, right click to get to image gallery.  In another window.

• Level 5*
51 minutes ago, JohnLongney said:

To my own annoyance I waited too long before I finally decided to use the application that works as designed

I use the best editor for the work; Pages/Word for word processing, Numbers/Excel for spreadsheets.  I find the Evernote editor adequate for basic notes.  Isn't it great to have a choice :)

btw  Did you really intend to Use this beta release feedback discussion to discuss editors?

• Level 5*

Potential bug report.  The content of some emails forwarded to EN is being converted to tables.  Don't know if the original email was created that way or not.

ScreenClip.png.948ec8107af10f27f1bd8226d1eee988.png

I uninstalled the previous version of Evernote (installed yesterday), re-started my computer (Toshiba Satellite S55-A5295, 1 T hard drive, 12 G RAM, 64-bit Windows 10), and installed this Beta version.  Same story that has plagued me for way more than a year or two, Evernote tries to synchronize but appears to crash without ever fully competing the synchronization process.  My log files are too large to attach.

• Level 5*
On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎15 at 4:17 PM, Johnathan Hebert said:

It was not in 6.5. We added it in 6.6 because of the new table UI -- the gray row headers and dots -- that appear to the left of the table when your cursor is inside the table. Without the margin on the left, those UI elements would not be fully visible. This way, the left edge of the table can align to the left edge of surrounding paragraphs, and the new table UI can be visible when necessary, and the table does not have to "jump" when interacting with it.

Is there any way to use this extra indentation for comments?

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Aargh!  :P

Well, If it's not going away at least they can aim to make it useful and not just a dead area taking up precious space.

A dedicated comments feature and collapsible sections are the two features at the top of my personal request list.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, gustavgi said:

Well, If it's not going away at least they can aim to make it useful and not just a dead area taking up precious space.

A dedicated comments feature and collapsible sections are the two features at the top of my personal request list.

Hopefully it goes away and they add your comments in the right margin.  The OCD in me has no desire to see everything indented, I've got maybe 1000 tables in 33000 notes.  Indent the table or add the table action icons to the right in my view.  FWIW.

• Level 5*

Yeah. Used evernote quite a bit yesterday. The fat margin is driving me nuts. I'd rather table support be DROPPED than enforce this change. :(

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, csihilling said:

Hopefully it goes away and they add your comments in the right margin.  The OCD in me has no desire to see everything indented, I've got maybe 1000 tables in 33000 notes.  Indent the table or add the table action icons to the right in my view.  FWIW.

Yeah, those table UI elements could be placed in a right margin as well.

• Level 5*

Anyone looked at public shares lately?  I shared a note and then opened the public link to see what it looked like.  Seems to me it opens in Presentation Mode first,  then if you click the little square button (which doesn't have a pop-up tool tip that I saw) it flips to 'standard' view - which is pretty much a letterbox view on screen.  Acres of wasted space.

...but if you wait for long enough the rest of the note comes through and you can see the whole content.

What's up with that?

These are the controls on first view - the little square page doesn't have a pop-up explanation.

592ae7143fc3b_ScreenClip5.png.080768a461c4eb10c8a93fac4d0ef3d0.png

And if you find presentation mode too big (it is very big: YMMV) you can drop to a standard web view - which looks like the view from a letterbox

592ae71c2f734_ScreenClip6.thumb.png.21e1e4622948499618ac5893c17c2da4.png

There's a huge amount of wasted space and no sign we're waiting for anything...

Though you can go back to presentation via the icon (which does have a tooltip this time)

592ae71de1327_ScreenClip7.png.7c99e90d4dfd9a1437985bd61cde4cbe.png

Give the standard view a couple of minutes though and suddenly...

592ae721d3847_ScreenClip8.thumb.png.8c32143a45bad3abca186a20af60e17f.png

It expands to fill the window - well downwards anyway...

But please change it from defaulting to Presentation Mode on first opening a link.  Visitors getting smacked in the face with 72-point type just isn't professional...

592ae9a5f195e_ScreenClip9.thumb.png.5e900bcaca0a30b9d827bed5351cd39f.png

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Anyone looked at public shares lately?  I shared a note and then opened the public link to see what it looked like.  Seems to me it opens in Presentation Mode first,  then if you click the little square button (which doesn't have a pop-up tool tip that I saw) it flips to 'standard' view - which is pretty much a letterbox view on screen. 

just tried it.  My share opens in Standard Mode (Safari browser on Mac/iPad)

Evernote on Windows 10 Ver 6.6.1.5097 (305097) Prerelease

Paste of text from another note (& elsewhere?) does not retain the full formatting of the original but matches part of the "target" style - e.g. font size.

This is for Paste, not "Paste and Match Style'

On 5/29/2017 at 0:16 AM, gazumped said:

Anyone looked at public shares lately?  I shared a note and then opened the public link to see what it looked like.  Seems to me it opens in Presentation Mode first,  then if you click the little square button (which doesn't have a pop-up tool tip that I saw) it flips to 'standard' view - which is pretty much a letterbox view on screen.  Acres of wasted space.

...but if you wait for long enough the rest of the note comes through and you can see the whole content.

What's up with that?

These are the controls on first view - the little square page doesn't have a pop-up explanation.

592ae7143fc3b_ScreenClip5.png.080768a461c4eb10c8a93fac4d0ef3d0.png

And if you find presentation mode too big (it is very big: YMMV) you can drop to a standard web view - which looks like the view from a letterbox

592ae71c2f734_ScreenClip6.thumb.png.21e1e4622948499618ac5893c17c2da4.png

There's a huge amount of wasted space and no sign we're waiting for anything...

Though you can go back to presentation via the icon (which does have a tooltip this time)

592ae71de1327_ScreenClip7.png.7c99e90d4dfd9a1437985bd61cde4cbe.png

Give the standard view a couple of minutes though and suddenly...

592ae721d3847_ScreenClip8.thumb.png.8c32143a45bad3abca186a20af60e17f.png

It expands to fill the window - well downwards anyway...

But please change it from defaulting to Presentation Mode on first opening a link.  Visitors getting smacked in the face with 72-point type just isn't professional...

592ae9a5f195e_ScreenClip9.thumb.png.5e900bcaca0a30b9d827bed5351cd39f.png

Hi Gazumped,

just to let you know that few days ago I contacted the support team about this. After a relatively long investigation (they could not replicate the problem... they said...?), they finally told me that this is a FEATURE that it's being rolled out to users. No way, at this point, to opt out. You can see the note in Normal Mode if you logout from your web account, but then the webclipper would also log out.

FYI, I communicated how displeased I was with such "features" being forcefully imposed on users (and even more so as a paying user). A "sorry" is all I've got... :)

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, gozzilla78 said:

FYI, I communicated how displeased I was with such "features" being forcefully imposed on users (and even more so as a paying user). A "sorry" is all I've got... :)

Another feature no one asked for.

and checking..... nope, still cannot merge notes on the Mac in the order selected...

Bug report:

Whenever I click a link to Evernote in another program (e.g. clicking a "evernote:///view/17745136/s..."-link in Outlook) then the correct note is openeed in the desktop application. The problem however is that not only the note is opened, but also the EN main window. The note in question is opened behind the EN main window. This means that whenever I click a link of this type, I have to first close the EN main window to see the note I opened.

Please let me know if you'd like a screen recording of this behaviour.

I'm using EN 6.6.1.5097 and don't recall this behaviour happening in previous versions.

4 hours ago, Gnopps said:

Bug report:

Whenever I click a link to Evernote in another program (e.g. clicking a "evernote:///view/17745136/s..."-link in Outlook) then the correct note is openeed in the desktop application. The problem however is that not only the note is opened, but also the EN main window. The note in question is opened behind the EN main window. This means that whenever I click a link of this type, I have to first close the EN main window to see the note I opened.

Please let me know if you'd like a screen recording of this behaviour.

I'm using EN 6.6.1.5097 and don't recall this behaviour happening in previous versions.

This also happens to me that am on stable 6.5.4.4720. It was not like that some time ago, right?

• Level 5*

Rediscovered an issue I saw earlier but couldn't replicate.

1. Started with a simple 3x3 table, column headings in the row 1 and added a date to row 2 col 1.
    1. 1.png.213e7fec06dfa16e199281fe94d295a5.png
  2. Highlight the date and drag to row 2 col 2 and this is what you see, AFTER the drop.
    1. 2.png.54a5120bd5870f8db44842c558788c50.png
  3. Exit and return to the note and you see, back to the original
    1. 3.png.280d08bf27a77595aa90220ae4924711.png
  4. Highlight the date and drag to row 2 col 3 and this is what you see AFTER the drop
    1. 4.png.9cd2f8849854056d7c8b8500252ddcce.png
  5. Exit and return to the note and you see
    1. 5.png.fba546f3ca702f759995223a4b068675.png
  • Level 5*

ANyone seeing issues with the old nice gray bar that would be between all merged notes now being shoved up against the left and wrapped so it takes up half the screen? - this is with Merge Notes options with Include Title, Source URL, Location, and Author all checked.

See the two attachments. The 2nd one I manually had to drag the table field to the width of the note, but that doesn't work well either because ifhte note is less than the width I dragged the divider out to, then it just puts a scroll bar.

Can we just have the old gray bar and not a table put back the way it was?

badwrap1.png

badwrap2.png

• Level 5*

...and back to my theme of publicly shared notes,  here's my centre 23" monitor showing Evernote's recently published meeting note template in presentation mode...

img_20170531_231503_203.thumb.jpg.2b94283fc44404c2260b85e476aa4f61.jpg

Kinda lights up my room...

OK I do have it full screen,  but at any window size all I can see is a heading,  Not professional.

https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2017/05/30/a-better-way-to-pass-notes-sharing-content-from-conferences/

• Level 5
5 hours ago, EdH said:

ANyone seeing issues with the old nice gray bar that would be between all merged notes now being shoved up against the left and wrapped so it takes up half the screen? - this is with Merge Notes options with Include Title, Source URL, Location, and Author all checked.

Same here. Merged notes' headers rely on html tables for their layout. Unfortunately, in the current note editor table visualization is seriously broken: all tables that were not created with this editor are displayed as a set of narrow columns with lots of vertical white space which makes their content impossible to read. This affects a lot of existing clipped notes since using tables for layout purposes is very common.

This data loss case prevents me from using the current version because I have thousands of clipped notes that heavily rely on tables: for example, a few hundred notes with clips of electronic part orders that I need to refer to every now and then. Hopefully this problem will be fixed before the release.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, kvitekp said:

Same here. Merged notes' headers rely on html tables for their layout. Unfortunately, in the current note editor table visualization is seriously broken: all tables that were not created with this editor are displayed as a set of narrow columns with lots of vertical white space which makes their content impossible to read. This affects a lot of existing clipped notes since using tables for layout purposes is very common.

This data loss case prevents me from using the current version because I have thousands of clipped notes that heavily rely on tables: for example, a few hundred notes with clips of electronic part orders that I need to refer to every now and then. Hopefully this problem will be fixed before the release.

Is this a display thing or a my-notes-are-corrupted thing?

Archived