Evernote for Windows 6.6 Beta 1 Released

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Today we're releasing version 6.6 Beta 1 - you cadownload it here. This release brings improvements to the note editing and note sharing experience. As these are pretty sizable changes and this is our first beta, we're looking to the Beta community to help us uncover bugs - please let us know if you spot any issues in your existing workflows and let us know if you're able to take advantage of the new feature improvements. 

As always, we've also fixed a number of bugs. See the list below in the release notes for some of the highlights. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Windows and the Editor team! 

--------------------

Evernote for Windows 6.6 Release Notes

Major improvements to tables!

Some highlights:

• Quickly add rows and columns – via the plus button
  • Easily select cells – by clicking-and-dragging, or by clicking the column/row headers
  • Efficiently drag and drop rows & columns – by clicking on the row/column headers, and then dragging and dropping the row/column elsewhere
  • Better copy/paste – copy multiple cells, then place your cursor anywhere in the table to paste into multiple cells
  • New fixed width columns – so that as you increase/decrease one column’s width, it does not affect the next column’s width
  • New horizontally scrollable tables – so that you won’t need to expand your window wide to view a table that has many columns
  • Access advanced table functions – via the new menu which provides options such as
    • Resizing the table width to match the current window size
    • Distributing selected columns evenly
    • Adjusting alignment of content in cells
    • Changing cell background color
  • Additional info: The new tables do not support "table-in-table" or "merged cell" functionality. If you paste incompatible tables into a note, then the tables in the note will not have the updated table features or controls (including resizing). In a future update, we plan to support pasted-in tables that have merged cells.

New image gallery!

Double-click on an image to enter the gallery mode, which allows you to quickly browse all the images in your note!

New editor

Evernote for Windows now utilizes the new editor, which has been rewritten to allow for more rapid improvements to the editor moving forward.

Improved Share dialog

More easily share notes via our improved UI which allows sharing to another evernote user or through a public link.

Bug fixes

A number of user reported bugs are now fixed in this release:

• Notes with tables and checkboxes were sometimes causing the app to hang
  • Line breaks were sometimes hidden below the bottom margin of the note
  • When attempting to repeatedly add attachments to a note, sometimes attachments fail to be added to note
  • When copying text from an email that contains dates/times that have were auto-formatted as links, sometimes the dates/times were not pastable into Evernote
  • If a user had changed their font size, began typing text and creating line breaks, and then deleted some text, the font size would sometimes unexpectedly revert back to the default size
  • Undo often did not work on the first try when there was a table in the note

----------------------------------

Screenshots

Improved table editing: quickly add rows and columns via the plus button, easily set the background color of cells.

tables.png.a18ad9b5fc4ec6d0e8c6bc6b5b09c94d.png

tables2.png.7aab7f08ae568a7a0d7aab9e83c998ac.png

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

17 minutes ago, kvitekp said:

Same here. Merged notes' headers rely on html tables for their layout. Unfortunately, in the current note editor table visualization is seriously broken: all tables that were not created with this editor are displayed as a set of narrow columns with lots of vertical white space which makes their content impossible to read. This affects a lot of existing clipped notes since using tables for layout purposes is very common.

This data loss case prevents me from using the current version because I have thousands of clipped notes that heavily rely on tables: for example, a few hundred notes with clips of electronic part orders that I need to refer to every now and then. Hopefully this problem will be fixed before the release.

Pete can you give some ENEX files so I can test? We should not be touching any tables in web clips, emails, and several other note characteristics that we check for.

12 minutes ago, EdH said:

Is this a display thing or a my-notes-are-corrupted thing?

It is a display thing, unless you save and sync the note, then it will persist the problem. If you are still seeing this issue, please provide a sample ENEX file and we can determine what is going on and fix it. This is a very high priority issue and I am really interested in any examples that can be provided.

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

It is a display thing, unless you save and sync the note, then it will persist the problem. If you are still seeing this issue, please provide a sample ENEX file and we can determine what is going on and fix it. This is a very high priority issue and I am really interested in any examples that can be provided.

How in the world do I create a note and then not save and sync it.?

All I did in that example was create three notes with fake text, then merged them, to show what I was seeing in real notes. I've already deleted the merged note but it is in my trash. I can undelete it tomorrow when I get back to my PC. On my Mac right now and not sure the ENEX would be the same.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

It is a display thing, unless you save and sync the note .....

Do you actually have to edit and sync the note to persist the change?   Or just view?

9 hours ago, EdH said:

How in the world do I create a note and then not save and sync it.?

All I did in that example was create three notes with fake text, then merged them, to show what I was seeing in real notes. I've already deleted the merged note but it is in my trash. I can undelete it tomorrow when I get back to my PC. On my Mac right now and not sure the ENEX would be the same.

Oh I understand now. I will see if we can reproduce in the latest internal builds. If so, the fix will not be in 6.6 Beta 2, but the following Beta 3

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

Here is the ENEX.

test note one.enex

• Level 5*

Bug.  If you create a screen clip and then go to that note and put text in front of the image, the image slides to the right but the annotate icon stays in place.

ScreenClip.png.c59850260392485990fed7e7a50e9314.png

• Level 5*

Inconsistency.  Don't know if this is intentional, but the copy note link option is referenced differently in the main window vs a stand alone window.  Not to mention the menus are in different orders for the same items (now that I look at them side by side below.   :unsure:

ScreenClip.png.361adf72dded67b0ecd2d6ad95efd435.png    Image.png.b3000af28a0389db1554f2ffb9805f65.png

• Level 5*

Bug.  I forward emails to EN from Thunderbird.  The message header acts as a table you can't see (if you right click in the header you get the table menu).

Image.png.d9780d4e593bc48a2bdb767222ed0fb5.png

Bad thing, if you export the note to HTML and then drag that html file back into EN you get a blank note.  If you remove the email header from the note and repeat the process it works.  Point being, it appears an note that was created by a forwarded emailed cannot be imported back to EN if it has "table" header.  This may be specific to Thunderbird forwards for all I know.

3 hours ago, csihilling said:

Bug.  If you create a screen clip and then go to that note and put text in front of the image, the image slides to the right but the annotate icon stays in place.

ScreenClip.png.c59850260392485990fed7e7a50e9314.png

Thanks for finding this. I think it only happens when your mouse is over the image while you are typing, correct?

1 hour ago, csihilling said:

Bug.  I forward emails to EN from Thunderbird.  The message header acts as a table you can't see (if you right click in the header you get the table menu).

Image.png.d9780d4e593bc48a2bdb767222ed0fb5.png

Bad thing, if you export the note to HTML and then drag that html file back into EN you get a blank note.  If you remove the email header from the note and repeat the process it works.  Point being, it appears an note that was created by a forwarded emailed cannot be imported back to EN if it has "table" header.  This may be specific to Thunderbird forwards for all I know.

I think this one has been there for a while -- can you confirm it did not exist in earlier versions? Also, I'm curious what context menu option you were planning to use on that email header?

• Level 5*
45 minutes ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

Thanks for finding this. I think it only happens when your mouse is over the image while you are typing, correct?

Nope.  Paste an image in a note and start typing to the left of the image.  The icon appears after some keystrokes and stays in the same place as you continue to type and the image moves to the right.  Only happens the first time, delete the text and type again and the icon will not reappear.  Easier to do than to explain.  Try one.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

I think this one has been there for a while -- can you confirm it did not exist in earlier versions? Also, I'm curious what context menu option you were planning to use on that email header?

Can't confirm with certainty but I think it may have existed with earlier versions.  I wouldn't expect to see any context menu on that email header.  To be clear, the one that appears now has no function.

I discovered the table format of the email header some time back when I needed to edit some notes that I wanted to share.  I couldn't do the edits with the EN editor so I exported the notes to HTML, modified them with another editor, and then dragged and dropped them back into EN.  Worked fine.

Doesn't wok that way now.  Email a note to EN, export to HTML on the desktop, drag back to EN and there is nothing in the note (no editing at all).  Remove the email header from the note and the same process works, creates a note that looks like the export sans header.  

Not so bad for me, as Henny Youngman said, "If it hurts when you go like this, don't go like this".  However, I do backups using ENEX, not sure what would happen to someone using HTML for backups were they to restore a note like this.

• Level 5*
On 5/20/2017 at 0:37 AM, FactMan said:

Sorry, I have been crazy busy this week and have only just seen this. I reverted to an earlier version that did not have the problem, and I did not "save" the offending notes. It seemed to be all pasted contents. I promise to do better with the next version, and be less impatient to have it perfect, so that I can at least send the corrupted files and the sites they came from. It seemed to be at least a couple of sites that I use a lot, and I vaguely recall having a similar problem some years ago when there was an editor format change... I didn't Evernote it, however! 

The crazy busy time has continued, but I did get to install the latest beta. At first I thought that the problems were still there, but now I find that they were entirely the result of selecting "Article" instead of "Simplified Article" when clipping a web page. So, now I am back to being a happy camper, looking forward to other improvements/options with the changes to the editor.

On 5/15/2017 at 4:33 PM, Johnathan Hebert said:

This is definitely not our intention, and I would like to get some examples from you so that we can improve this situation. Our goal is to preserve the look and feel of all existing notes, clipped notes and externally pasted content. We have tested these changes against many permutations of HTML and a variety of notes, but are still refining the process. Can you provide us some sample ENEX files that are being broken by this release?

I'm sorry but I find that extremely hard to believe. Just look at the comments. The crowd is not pleased. I don't know who you used for testing but this is pre alpha and warning is warned that it not even safe for testing unless you have no notes. I' have been part of this forums for a while and I have seen a lot of talk but little do. Please fix it. Actually just do your job. I have almost given up. If I didn't have invested years and 16000 + notes in your platform I would have left. This way you got me, much to my frustration. So please at least do your job. Fix the bugs, and try not to introduce new ones with every version. And no, I don't need to point them out because they are available to read about, in your own forums. Not a happy paying customer. You removed features and introduced bunch of new bugs and now you made it not even safe to use. All this while increasing price. Now please do your job and invest that money in less marketing and more development. Thank you.

Talk doesn't cook rice. - Chinese proverb

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Krunoslav said:

I'm sorry but I find that extremely hard to believe. Just look at the comments. The crowd is not pleased. I don't know who you used for testing but this is pre alpha and warning is warned that it not even safe for testing unless you have no notes. I' have been part of this forums for a while and I have seen a lot of talk but little do. Please fix it. Actually just do your job. I have almost given up. If I didn't have invested years and 16000 + notes in your platform I would have left. This way you got me, much to my frustration. So please at least do your job. Fix the bugs, and try not to introduce new ones with every version. And no, I don't need to point them out because they are available to read about, in your own forums. Not a happy paying customer. You removed features and introduced bunch of new bugs and now you made it not even safe to use. All this while increasing price. Now please do your job and invest that money in less marketing and more development. Thank you.

Talk doesn't cook rice. - Chinese proverb

I am not clear on why an ENEX file should be needed. The url for the original page would be where I was going if trying to find the "problem." There appears to be different flavors of HTML that are out there, and the current model does not address every nuance of that flavor. Definitely challenging to do if the user is accessing something through a database delivery system - and I should not be the one to advise on that. I am not qualified to do so. However, to make EN "better" there needs to be a way of cleaning up the format however it is delivered. Doing that across different platforms is challenging, but isn't that the vision of Evernote - to be able to take content from anywhere and everywhere?

As a user with over 18,000 notes collected over the years, I do not expect all of them to be perfectly formatted to whatever the latest standard is. However, I do expect that each iteration will allow me to produce well formatted notes that will not change with subsequent updates. The changes to some of the fundamental commands like simplify formatting and remove formatting have left me frustrated and needing to find work-arounds. Very difficult when there are no true workarounds because I can't change line spacing or add/remove space around the headers that I can't standardize easily to even H1, H2, H3, etc.

On 5/29/2017 at 0:16 AM, gazumped said:

Anyone looked at public shares lately?  I shared a note and then opened the public link to see what it looked like.  Seems to me it opens in Presentation Mode first,  then if you click the little square button (which doesn't have a pop-up tool tip that I saw) it flips to 'standard' view - which is pretty much a letterbox view on screen.  Acres of wasted space.

...but if you wait for long enough the rest of the note comes through and you can see the whole content.

What's up with that?

These are the controls on first view - the little square page doesn't have a pop-up explanation.

592ae7143fc3b_ScreenClip5.png.080768a461c4eb10c8a93fac4d0ef3d0.png

And if you find presentation mode too big (it is very big: YMMV) you can drop to a standard web view - which looks like the view from a letterbox

592ae71c2f734_ScreenClip6.thumb.png.21e1e4622948499618ac5893c17c2da4.png

There's a huge amount of wasted space and no sign we're waiting for anything...

Though you can go back to presentation via the icon (which does have a tooltip this time)

592ae71de1327_ScreenClip7.png.7c99e90d4dfd9a1437985bd61cde4cbe.png

Give the standard view a couple of minutes though and suddenly...

592ae721d3847_ScreenClip8.thumb.png.8c32143a45bad3abca186a20af60e17f.png

It expands to fill the window - well downwards anyway...

But please change it from defaulting to Presentation Mode on first opening a link.  Visitors getting smacked in the face with 72-point type just isn't professional...

592ae9a5f195e_ScreenClip9.thumb.png.5e900bcaca0a30b9d827bed5351cd39f.png

the behaviour went back to normal in these days, at least for me; can you confirm this too, +gazumped?

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, gozzilla78 said:

the behaviour went back to normal in these days, at least for me; can you confirm this too, +gazumped?

Not sure it counts as 'normal',  but yes - when I open a shared note now I get the standard view... with that huge green 'View as Presentation' pop-up drawing my attention away from the content.  If you do go to presentation view,  then back to standard,  I occasionally still get the postbox view of the first few lines and gave to reload the page to get everything.  <sigh> 

• Level 5*
On 7/19/2017 at 10:15 AM, SWFlorida said:

Is there a final release date set for 6.6? Looks like some good innovations, but I'm not interested in beta testing.

no. they just released beta 3 today. could be weeks or months.

Archived