Idea

I use well above 3.000 notes for academic purposes. Unfortunately, if you have a lot of notes, the standard search feature performs really bad (I am aware of th eadvanced search capabilities).

At the moment it looks like it only checks notes for the search word and ranks them according to the last edit.

This is not sufficient. When I create a note, for instance, I often link other notes to that note. When I search for the title of the note, I get all those notes where I added the link first, because that was the last edit.

It would be great if there were better ranking functionalities like giving more weight to linked notes or keywords that appear in the title.

Additionally I would highly appreciate if a search for "topics" would also come up with a note titled "topic".

From a technical side:

• At the moment it looks like a simple boolean retrieval algorithm is implemented with a ranking by "last edit" 
  • It would be great if the title would receive a higher weight.
  • Documents with higher term frequencies should also receive a higher weight.
  • The same accounts for linked notes. One could make use of the hyperlink strucuter using "Hypertext-Induced Topic Search" or something similar to "PageRank".
  • Search words are not lemmatized. If I have a note titled "topic" there is no way to find it using search word "topics".
  • Some kind of context search functionality like "Latent Semantic Indexing" might also be useful .
  • Like 2

7 replies to this idea

I would also find it a lot more useful to see notes ranked by relevance with titles having the highest priority, rather than just sorted alphabetically or by date. 

Besides other possible solutions highlighted on similar features requests (showing title matches in the autosuggest panel, and offering an option to search by title only), a simple solution would also be to highlight the word match in the left hand pane, so one can easily spot the notes whose title match the search query. 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2017 at 7:54 AM, janothan said:

At the moment it looks like it only checks notes for the search word and ranks them according to the last edit.

EN doesn't actually do any ranking.  Notes are displayed in whatever sort sequence you have in use at the time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LucaBen said:

an option to search by title only

intitle:"search phrase", quotes only needed if a multi-word search.

7 hours ago, csihilling said:

intitle:"search phrase", quotes only needed if a multi-word search.

Overly-complicated, if that option is going to be used several times as day. It should be easy to find notes whose titles match the search query, as the title is a higher level attribute I would expect a super-easy way to get all notes that include the word(s) I am typing very quickly. 

More possible solutions have been highlighted on this topic: 

Well, sorry for your issue.  

I, on the other hand, haven't had a problem with the search syntax.  Full disclosure, I did create a hot key using PhraseExpress which wraps intitle and quotes around whatever is in the search bar.  Also, not too hard to add an asterisk to a word in search to get all variants.  Which I actually prefer since oftentimes I don't want variants.  

Different view of the world I suppose.  Not opposed to options being added, just let them be options.  

9 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Also, not too hard to add an asterisk to a word in search to get all variants.  Which I actually prefer since oftentimes I don't want variants.  

I don't think that Evernote is mainly targeted to power users, or is it? I believe most people will never find out that they can add an asterisk, they would rather want to see what they are looking for easily. I appreciate the tip that you are giving me. Once more, though, this is a workaround and I don't see why it should be so overly complicated. It's an hidden feature. I would have never found out about it if I didn't come on this forum. And to be honest, it's too much work. I am not going to install a piece of software just to be able to do what looks to me like such a critical feature that one would want to see on Evernote: search notes by titles, easily, and without losing data if you don't use the right syntax. 

Different view, no doubts about it. But I would be very surprised if the majority of Evernote users agreed with you on this. It looks to me like the "evernote gurus" I see here are mostly developers who assume that everybody on this planet would use computers the same way that they do. Well no, most people like simple UIs. You can do pretty advanced things on Google, if you know the tricks, but the search engine is designed to be easy for most people. That's how I think Evernote should work, as well. Advanced features should be available at an extra cost, it shouldn't be the other way round (making simple and rather obvious things difficult). Thanks

Can't speak to whether EN is targeted to power users or not.  Do know that * is a fairly universal wild card used in searches.  For sure EN can confuse folks  in that an * on the front of a search term does not work.  Whether other users agree or not, it kind of is what it is today and folks are free to up-vote any requests for search enhancements.  

Workarounds are typically presented in these forums in lieu of or until a feature is deployed by EN.  If folks don't care for the product with the workarounds they move on, sometimes they up-vote and stick around.  More views than we can count on what are the most critical features that need to be added to the product.  End of the day EN decides what gets included and folks vote with their feet.  In my view they have made some good moves and some dumb-a$$ moves while I have been using the product.  But the value proposition is still very strong for me and my use case.  FWIW.